Buying rate/limit for GE

n64jive

80 members have voted

1. 1. How should Jagex change the buying rate/limit?

• Remove it completely. I hate waiting.
    • Increase it. Some regulation is needed
    • Decrease it.
    • Leave it alone. I don't notice it.

I'm going to keep this short. I was training crafting/fletching the other day via gem cutting, and I always kept hitting the 500/hr buying limit. It's very annoying. Jagex really needs to increase this, as it's not the first time I've ran into this problem.

List of items that are under-stocked

Item-Stock

Gems-500
Buckets-100 // terrible for ecto
Bolts-10k // Making enchanted bolts

anyone else?

w4M8t.png

Honestly, limiting the GE is a great idea.

If you don't - just imagine how much merchants can control the market.

There are plenty of people who have over a bill in cash.

All you have to do is corner a market where the items don't come into the game so easily.

Or even with enough cash - you can still corner something ridiculous like pure essences and dramatically hike up the prices for no reason.

Some of the limits are low - and I say change that.

Most of the limits are fine and just leave it like it is.

capt%20kevin.png

From what I can see, removing it would be both good and bad, so I voted to increase it but keep some regulation.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

I think some limits are necessary, but there are ones that even I'm frustrated with. I'm an avid collector of thatch spar (don't ask why) but I can only buy 100 every four hours. My goal was 1M of each type one day, but that'll never happen because of the limits >.< I do think they should be increased on most items.

2vuhgcn.png

The only big issue I see is in separation of combat items versus skilling items. Yes, you only need a certain number of combat items per 4 hours... any more than that, and you're clearly buying out. But items like battlestaves (and previously yew longs) are classified as combat items, while they clearly are not. People only buy yew longs to alch for skilling, and people only buy battlestaves for crafting. Fix this, and the rest is fine.

lalalasig2.png

Whoops, I think I voted the wrong thing. Voted decrease it, but I meant that the limit should be decreased. The limit right now is too limited. *changes vote to increase*

[insert birds flying in a circle here]

Yes, that sig was annoying.

hmm well I think "dynamic" limits are the way to go:

maxlimit = 0.5% * total_amount_traded_of_item + BaseNUM

Where basenum is about double of what now is..

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

hmm well I think "dynamic" limits are the way to go:

maxlimit = 0.5% * total_amount_traded_of_item + BaseNUM

Where basenum is about double of what now is..

This makes the most sense....

w4M8t.png

It would be a lot more complicated, but I think that purchase limits should exist in a modified form. Like the above, it should be based partly upon the quantity of the item traded, but it should also be based upon how far from the guide price you offer to purchase at.

Using a formula like the above based purely upon the number of the item traded, it would only take a clan of 50 wealthy players to, for example, buy out ALL pure essence. However, if purchase limits are imposed based upon how far above the guide price you're asking to purchase at, the market could naturally regulate.

For example, if you're purchasing at up to 105% of the guide price, you can buy up to 0.5% of the market availability of that item, requiring 50 wealthy players to buy out at that baseline price. However, if you want to purchase at 110% of the guide price, you can only purchase up to 0.25% of the market availability of the item, requiring 100 players to buy-out at that price, etc. So once you hit around 120% of the guide price with 400 players required, there's still a "ceiling" on the buyout, even for large clans, such that normal market activity can proceed at, say, 125% of the guide price, and no long-term buyouts would ever be practical.

The exact numbers would probably require a lot of refinement, and perhaps with some further thought someone can come up with a way to also mitigate price manipulation from buyout techniques. Even a clan-induced price rise of 5% on an item is undesirable.

Edit: Beyond the ideal scenario I'm envisioning, even just fixing a few of the more glaring purchase limits would be nice, like battlestaves, iron/steel platebodies, etc.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I don't like the regulations. If a clan of wealthy players tries to buy the item, yes the market price for that item will increase assuming it does actually create a demand. However this will lead more people to gather these resoruces(or bots), which will bring the prices back down.

I would also not mind seeing a modified system where you only get priority on an item for so many items. This way, rich player A can't buy max essense(in your case) 2 weeks ago, and get priority over the item because his offer is earlier. He would get priority for the first x amount of essence, and then would be moved to the bottom of the queue, while the order above him are processed. If he is the only person buying essence, then he would continue to fill his order, however that scenario is vary unlikely.

w4M8t.png

I would also not mind seeing a modified system where you only get priority on an item for so many items. This way, rich player A can't buy max essense(in your case) 2 weeks ago, and get priority over the item because his offer is earlier. He would get priority for the first x amount of essence, and then would be moved to the bottom of the queue, while the order above him are processed. If he is the only person buying essence, then he would continue to fill his order, however that scenario is vary unlikely.

This is assuming that people are buying at the same price. With the removal of price limits, there's no "max" price that lots of people would keep trying to buy at for weeks, like used to be the case with sigils, etc.

Edit: Or are you saying that the sellers should not get the best deal for their goods?

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I would be all for removing it...! Because I would then get to see swarms of people ranting to Jagex to undo their changes after I and people like me begin milking the economy for much more.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Without it, merchanting would be a lot easier/quicker - so that part of me says yes. But merchants with tonnes of money could easily manipulate prices, which is not good.

The whole limiting thing is not ideal, but it's needed.

RIP TET

original.png

"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Friedrich Nietzsche

I refuse to vote in this because I know that there are more important things than a limit on items. For the most part, the limit is excessive for anyone who doesn't die a lot, or play over 8-10 hours a day. You -do not- need to have 25k runes or pure essence more than every 4 hours, I have no idea why you would ever need that much. Two godswords lost in four hours? You are a terrible pker, and should probably stop.

Even then, you can stock up beforehand, the limits are there so people can distribute their time between things and not focus on one thing at one time. That helps prevent erratic prices.

As I said, there are bigger things wrong with this 'game economy'. Free trade and the Grand Exchange really shouldn't exist, because of the simple fact that a med/market price influences price rises/drops more extremely than it ever did in the past. Items were much more stable, people would look at what others would sell at or would be able to sell at without it being a huge loss. Even then, people operated in even increments. Most items wouldnt change more than 25-50k, and that helped a lot.

The fact that you see an item you own drop 400k because of a few players wanting their money back quickly and sold for whatever the next person/merchant was buying for made the daily price drop, then people sell theirs too kind of will make something falsely priced, and rise/drop a lot more than it should or normally would. It goes both ways. People hear about an item possibly rising like a Soulgazer in Dungeoneering and they freak out. They go off to buy it before it rises too much, which is funny because most of the time those people just want a profit. In all cases, they will still pay the same price if it were higher or lower, because that's what the med/market price is and what everyone else has to pay. For example, whips were 3.2m, they were fine and dandy and I had no problem paying that, so did a lot of other players. Now they are about 1140k and steadily dropping, but people are still paying that regardless of what they paid before. I just don't get why the Grand Exchange exists with free-trade.

However, I once saw a "RuneScape Nostradomus" on the RSOF. He apparently predicted every system removal since they took out bounty hunter/pvp, or even earlier. This would mean that he predicted free trade, wild, pvp, bh, statuettes, pvp systems, drop limits, whatever was included in the past 3 or so years. That would mean the Grand Exchange is next.

553VriC.png?1

The fact that you see an item you own drop 400k because of a few players wanting their money back quickly and sold for whatever the next person/merchant was buying for made the daily price drop, then people sell theirs too kind of will make something falsely priced, and rise/drop a lot more than it should or normally would. It goes both ways. People hear about an item possibly rising like a Soulgazer in Dungeoneering and they freak out. They go off to buy it before it rises too much, which is funny because most of the time those people just want a profit. In all cases, they will still pay the same price if it were higher or lower, because that's what the med/market price is and what everyone else has to pay. For example, whips were 3.2m, they were fine and dandy and I had no problem paying that, so did a lot of other players. Now they are about 1140k and steadily dropping, but people are still paying that regardless of what they paid before. I just don't get why the Grand Exchange exists with free-trade.

You don't understand economics.

Here are just a few of the major reasons for whips' fall in price:

1) As more players get Chaotic weaponry, fewer players use whips.

2) As more players level Slayer, more whips are dropped.

3) Due to PvP changes with the re-release of the wilderness, whips lost in PvP are not longer destroyed. Instead they are sold by the victor on the grand exchange. *****

So in summary, demand has dropped, supply has risen, and the main gameplay mechanic that previously kept the supply artificially lowered has been removed. Thus whips are returning to prices similar to, or lower than, the prices they were at prior to the removal of the wilderness. Whatever price they stabilize at will be lower than 2007/2008 prices due to chaotics.

As for all of the price fluctuations, I have a secret to tell you. In the past, you could leave an offer in for a long time, unfulfilled, due to everyone being stuck to buying/selling within the same limits. Although it's true that now people can buy/sell much faster if they go outside those limits, you can still do what you used to and leave an offer in, unfulfilled, within the 5% margin until eventually it completes :). Barring long-term trends like the fall of whips, it shouldn't take much, if any, longer than it used to.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

I took that into mind, but it's not the only factor at play. Whips are too common to be a full example. I just know that they could change the Grand Exchange or remove it, and it would be very different (for the better).

553VriC.png?1

Ok, what do you propose? A return to Falador park?

Yes, what was wrong with that?

Fallador park + (fansite) forums to trade worked very well!

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

As a player dating back to 2002, my opinion is that the GE works MUCH better. Maybe a little bit of regulation isn't a bad thing, but when i can cut 500 diamonds in 10 minutes, and then have to wait another 230 minutes before I can buy more. It becomes a pain in the ass. These limits are set to combat price manipulation, not hinder the use of the GE for normal players. In terms of you're items falling in price, that's economics bro. Get use to it, as you'll find it happens to ALMOST everything you buy in real life.

w4M8t.png

Well, since it would waste an awful lot of time on both the buyers' and sellers' parts, there would really have to be overwhelmingly good cause to revert back from the grand exchange. You used an example of items falling or rising by hundreds of thousands very quickly, by which you meant in one day. I can tell you firsthand from hanging around in world 2 that you're better off with the grand exchange's system where people don't see the price changes being announced in real time. It's common in world 2 for some items to change price by millions, even tens of millions within an hour's time.

Perhaps you could elaborate as to how the elimination of the grand exchange, and a return to decentralized trade, would be an improvement? What specific benefits do you hope to achieve?

Alphanos

Alphanos.png