The Game of Thrones TV series - Season 4

Earth_Poet

So I originally got about 1/3 of the way through the first book last summer and just finally got the time to start watching the TV series now. I have been missing out on so much! xD

Finished the first season and got caught up on the second season so now I'm just going back and finishing the first book. I have the boxed set of the first 4 books on order so hopefully they will arrive soon as well, I need something to hold me over between episodes and I expect I'm missing out on a lot by having not read them yet.

Latest episode was pretty great. No random HBO [bleep] either. Coincidence?

Agreed, this episode was FAR superior to the last (few). And while I'm not one of those violently opposed to sex scenes(After all, the book was pretty graphic as well), the last few were mostly done without a lot of reason or purpose, so they really took up far too much screen time. You could easily have cut out the scene with Joffrey and all of the scenes of Littlefinger in the brothel. Speaking of Littlefinger, am I the only one who is disappointed with his screen adaption? While the actor does a good job, I feel like his script makes him a lot less subtle than he is in the books, down to the point where you can't really believe his role as this kind of master schemer....

A couple of weeks late with this comment but doesn't anyone else think that Natalie Dormer has great timing? "Do you want my brother to come in and help? He could get you started I know he wouldn't mind...or I could turn over and pretend that i'm him?" :thumbsup:

BoXRwtv.png

YZF63wJ.png

youknowhowilovemygeekyandnerdyguys-1.png

Agreed, this episode was FAR superior to the last (few). And while I'm not one of those violently opposed to sex scenes(After all, the book was pretty graphic as well), the last few were mostly done without a lot of reason or purpose, so they really took up far too much screen time. You could easily have cut out the scene with Joffrey and all of the scenes of Littlefinger in the brothel. Speaking of Littlefinger, am I the only one who is disappointed with his screen adaption? While the actor does a good job, I feel like his script makes him a lot less subtle than he is in the books, down to the point where you can't really believe his role as this kind of master schemer....

I disagree, I think the Joffrey scene was worth it. The show has showed him as a doucebag so far, but you don't hate him in the show at this point nearly as much as you do reading the books.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

I disagree, I think the Joffrey scene was worth it. The show has showed him as a doucebag so far, but you don't hate him in the show at this point nearly as much as you do reading the books.

Really? I think the Sansa scene right before it was more than potent enough for that. Sure, the other scene was more disturbing in a way, but what he did to Sansa showed well enough what he is capable of, imo. And tbh, it made me resent him a lot more than the bedroom scene, if only because I am far more attached to Sansa than to Ros or the other girl.

i honestly don't understand how people are hating on the sex scenes. there was sex in the books. HBO can't afford to make scenes to keep dropping subtle hints so yes, they have to kind of be "in your face" with TV. different mediums are different.

last ep was great.enjoyed arya's scenes a lot.i like that plotline better than in the book. GRRM could be a good author if he didn't feel the need to stretch every scene just to meet his page quota.

I'm not "hating" on sex scenes. I dislike those sex scenes that are mostly useless to the show apart from showing off boobs, because they clog up screen time...and GOT has precious few of that for all that happens in the story already. Yes, the books had plenty of those, even some that might not have been "needed" - but a book can afford that. A series that has only 600 minutes to go through all the complicated story etc. can't really, not without losing some quality

"useful" sex scenes: Dany+Drogo(all of them I think), Cersei+Jaime, those with theon and also Ros+Pycelle

Useless: A big portion of those with littlefinger(One might have been needed to explain what's up between him and catelyn, but at the same time I feel like it also skewed this character portrait. The others were downright useless). The joffrey scene as well, him dealing with sansa would work just as well on it's own.

Joffrey's scene wasn't just to show that Joffrey is awful, it was also to show that there's no point in trying to 'fix' him, as it were. He was much more interested in sending a message to Tyrion, getting back at him the only way he could. Similarly it shows that Joffrey barely thinks of people as people, just objects. Which had been shown earlier, but I feel that this way was a lot more effective than not showing it (either at all or just showing the aftermath). It was the scene I've had the most trouble watching this season.

I just feel like the acting is a lot more stilted and forced when they mash exposition and sex together. Two I can think of off the top of my head are the ones with Viserys and Doreah, and the one with Littlefinger and the two [bleep]. I'm not objecting out of prudishness or anything, I just think they could have thought of more natural ways to explain some stuff. S2 has been a lot better with exposition in general though.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Welcome to premium television I guess.. It's not like they just use sex to have sex, its part of the narrative.

I think they just aren't used to watching these type of shows from HBO or Showtime. Dexter, the Wire, Sopranos, etc. are great shows with sex scenes.

Welcome to premium television I guess.. It's not like they just use sex to have sex, its part of the narrative.

I think they just aren't used to watching these type of shows from HBO or Showtime. Dexter, the Wire, Sopranos, etc. are great shows with sex scenes.

It's not about sex scenes >.> It's about wasting screen time...the sex scenes are just the most prominent part of that

It's not about sex scenes >.> It's about wasting screen time...the sex scenes are just the most prominent part of that

Like the one with Littlefinger watching the two prostitutes. Yes, you expect there to be sex scenes, there were tons in the books, but when you introduce two characters for the sole purpose of having sex scenes (Including Ros) when you have 600 minutes to tell a story that was 8-900 pages, your priorities are probably a bit skewed.

Like the one with Littlefinger watching the two prostitutes. Yes, you expect there to be sex scenes, there were tons in the books, but when you introduce two characters for the sole purpose of having sex scenes (Including Ros) when you have 600 minutes to tell a story that was 8-900 pages, your priorities are probably a bit skewed.

Again, you're looking at this from a reader's perspective

Sex scenes are cheaper than building sets for a lot of those short outdoor scenes in those 900 pages. Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but they cut out battles and scenes with dragons and wolves because they cost a lot to make. Especially the CGI involved.

Sex scenes are cheaper than building sets for a lot of those short outdoor scenes in those 900 pages. Maybe you haven't realized it yet, but they cut out battles and scenes with dragons and wolves because they cost a lot to make. Especially the CGI involved.

This holds true for some of the sex scenes - those that actually advance the story in a meaningful way. E.g. ros has been used to establish how certain characters are, such as theon or pycelle. On the other hand you have scenes like Ros in Littlefinger's brothel or the one with joffrey, where you already have established characters and nothing important happens either. Why include those? The time spent filming them could have been better spent elsewhere.

Most of the scenes like that were in season 1. They've gotten better about it in S2. Apparently, most of this season's budget went toward Blackwater.

Don't mind me, I just don't like most sex scenes in media... :razz:

Most of the scenes like that were in season 1. They've gotten better about it in S2. Apparently, most of this season's budget went toward Blackwater.

Don't mind me, I just don't like most sex scenes in media... :razz:

I have a lot of expectations for Blackwater. Seeing all those wildfire pots made me happy.

As pointed out earlier in the thread there are plenty of ways to demonstrate traits of the characters without having massive sets or cgi by just picking some of the easier - and not always more subtle either! - scenes that are easily placed in existing "sets". Sex and sexuality is pretty heavy in the book, too, and I understand that. But there are some things that just don't make sense and almost seem like showing bare skin just for the sake of it, which is something HBO is known for.

hzvjpwS.gif

As pointed out earlier in the thread there are plenty of ways to demonstrate traits of the characters without having massive sets or cgi by just picking some of the easier - and not always more subtle either! - scenes that are easily placed in existing "sets". Sex and sexuality is pretty heavy in the book, too, and I understand that. But there are some things that just don't make sense and almost seem like showing bare skin just for the sake of it, which is something HBO is known for.

Because you're assuming that Ros is insignificant? It sounds like HBO is turning that character into something more than an extra which could mean all her scenes mean something, as part of her character development.

Even without that...

Scene with Ros and Littlefinger - remind the TV viewers how ruthless Littlefinger can get

Scene with Ros and Joffrey - show just how brutal Sansa's future will be when she gets married to him and that it's not just a front for the rest of the city (pure evil, nothing inside)

Scene with Viserys and Dorya - gives some backstory on dragons

Scene with Stannis and the Red Lady - gets her pregnant leading to the assassination

Scene with Theon and Captain's daughter - some backstory on the culture of the Ironborn

They don't make sense because there's a little bit of nudity? Meh.

Because you're assuming that Ros is insignificant? It sounds like HBO is turning that character into something more than an extra which could mean all her scenes mean something, as part of her character development.

Even without that...

Scene with Ros and Littlefinger - remind the TV viewers how ruthless Littlefinger can get

Scene with Ros and Joffrey - show just how brutal Sansa's future will be when she gets married to him and that it's not just a front for the rest of the city (pure evil, nothing inside)

Scene with Viserys and Dorya - gives some backstory on dragons

Scene with Stannis and the Red Lady - gets her pregnant leading to the assassination

Scene with Theon and Captain's daughter - some backstory on the culture of the Ironborn

They don't make sense because there's a little bit of nudity? Meh.

Except that we don't really need 1 and 2. Everyone should've grasped how Littlefinger is by the time that scene rolled around (especially as he is a lot simpler than portrayed in the books, imo) and we know Joffrey is cruel from various scenes (Having sansa being beaten, almost stripping her in front of the entire court, almost killing mycah if nymeria hadn't averted that etc.). I understand the show has to be less subtle and obviously has to cater to those who haven't read the books, but I can't really imagine how someone could enjoy this show if they need that much guidance(e.g. haven't realized until that scene how much of a monster joffrey is)

Except that we don't really need 1 and 2. Everyone should've grasped how Littlefinger is by the time that scene rolled around (especially as he is a lot simpler than portrayed in the books, imo) and we know Joffrey is cruel from various scenes (Having sansa being beaten, almost stripping her in front of the entire court, almost killing mycah if nymeria hadn't averted that etc.). I understand the show has to be less subtle and obviously has to cater to those who haven't read the books, but I can't really imagine how someone could enjoy this show if they need that much guidance(e.g. haven't realized until that scene how much of a monster joffrey is)

Again, tv != book

Normally, you read a book in a span of a couple of weeks. Viewers don't sit for hours watching the show continuously. It's one hour per week spread for a few months with almost a year gap in production per season.

I'm with Steve on this, I haven't read the books so any details they can put into the show to show other plot points are just great in my eyes!

The sex scenes, however, still aren't so fun when your family keep walking in and out of the room.

Also, I'm loving Liam Cunningham in this! Great Irish actor! :D He's the fella playing Davos, Stannis' bannerman

EAVnEYl.png

Visit my blog! Click the madness for more madness!