The Game of Thrones TV series - Season 4

Earth_Poet

I just hope they don't get a head of themselves

There you go.

I love that the music played over Karstark's execution was the same one that played when Theon executed Ser Rodrik. Pretty much cements it being a massive [bleep] up.

goddamn I love this show.

• Like 1

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

It's a shame he had to do it, but the man left him no choose. Who are the people who have Theon?

I think at this point it's pretty safe to assume the Boltons took him, and they're using different kinds of torture tactics to find out valuable information. It could always still be the Greyjoys, but I don't think they'd be so... cerebral.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I think at this point it's pretty safe to assume the Boltons took him, and they're using different kinds of torture tactics to find out valuable information. It could always still be the Greyjoys, but I don't think they'd be so... cerebral.

[spoiler=Book spoiler]I just figured the boy that was "helping" him was Ramsay, since he seems to be a combination of Reek (Helping him and then betraying him) and Ramsay's habit of freeing his victims so he can hunt him down later (Minus sending dogs after him)

[spoiler=Book spoiler]I just figured the boy that was "helping" him was Ramsay, since he seems to be a combination of Reek (Helping him and then betraying him) and Ramsay's habit of freeing his victims so he can hunt him down later (Minus sending dogs after him)

[spoiler=also book spoilers]Yeah, plus when he shot all those dudes the last one living called him Bastard, which of course could just be a run of the mill insult but I'm guessing it's also a nice tip off.

Also, Iwan Rheon is playing him (and killing it) and he's a pretty well known actor, I think.

• Like 1

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

I love this show. Every season it gets better. I haven't read the books, I prefer if everything is a surprise.

2480+ total

About to start watching season one. Not sure what to expect...

Character-driven drama. If you don't pay attention to who's who, you won't enjoy it at all.

interesting, thanks for the advice

polvCwJ.gif
"It's not a rest for me, it's a rest for the weights." - Dom Mazzetti

3 episodes in and really enjoying it. the only complaint i have is the unnecessary sexuality....but I suppose at least part of it adds to the story.

polvCwJ.gif

While the sexuality is definitely present in parts within the book, when HBO displays it like it does it feels...just wrong, honestly.

I have to agree, apart from selected scenes the sexuality, especially in the brothels was just tacked on and not present in the book. It's not a problem though, the TV series does keep very close to the TV series and I think they do a good job of adapting it to a TV series.

Joffrey is fantastic, Jack Gleeson does a fantastic job of portraying him. I was always rather disappointed about the lack of POV* and the fact there wasn't as much of him as I would have liked in the books, however even in the small parts where he is shown a lot of development of him as a character goes on. Also, I think that Cersei losing control over Joffrey was really well done.

You don't really realise how terrible Cersei is until far far later, but I think everybody hated her as soon as she asked Robert to kill the Direwolves. Does a fantastic job.

I never really liked Daenarys in the books, and I am beginning to like her even less in the TV series. Her gross entitlement isn't as blatant (at least early on), and you get a sense that she is doubting herself but throughout the TV series she is just painfully arrogant - they would do good to show a few scenes of her doubting herself.

The person playing Jojen is terrible for the role and, in my opinion, not a very good actor at all. Furthermore, I find that the parts with Bran on the road have gotten painful to watch because of how Jojen and Meera are just swaggering around creating dissent - there was tension in the books but you sort of sympathise with both sides, I find it very hard to sympathise because of how badly Jojen (particularly) and Meera are acted.

[spoiler=* spoiler]

And him dying so soon

Also, I think Tywin is a bit too blatant in the series. You don't really get any sense of realisation about him being so powerful. Also, he's nowhere near as ruthless.

Also, you really get a sense Tywin hates Cersei in the books. This is not so prevalent but should be, I want to watch her suffer a bit more.

I thought it's a pretty small detail, but when Robb beheads that guy who betrays him (something Karstark) he does it in one sweep like his father did earlier in the book. The fact that he failed to fully cut the head off is a metaphor for how terrible a leader he is, and how he can't be king of the North - this also happens with Theon Greyjoy although this is portrayed. I have no idea why the hell they cut this out, I thought it was rather important since it brings up a parallel between Theon and Robb.

"My real father died" by Theon. What!? Theon would not have said something like that.

Varys speaking to Olenna about Littlefinger: way to spell it out FFS, this was a ridiculous addition.

The scene with Maergery and Sansa talking where she says "we will be very good friends" and she talks about marrying her brother. They're making all these interconnections really obvious when they don't really need to be.

qTLQRuS.png

I'm not against all sexuality in movies/tv, but it seems like hbo really glorifies it and makes it a focal point of the series which is what I find unfortunate.

Thus far I actually quite like Daenarys...I'm only 7 episodes into the first season though so I can't say if she changes much afterwards.

polvCwJ.gif

Well, it's HBO and apparently they think they need to show T&A every episode or they'll lose viewership...Well, at least they mostly get at least some exposition in those scenes. Not a big fan of it either.

Daenarys is a bit high and low for me. I don't have the hate for her that some others harbor, but sometimes she really makes it hard to like her, especially when the storyline doesn't do her any favor. S1 Dany is okay, S2 Dany is mostly annoying as hell, S3 Dany is somewhat awesome, but from there it'll probably go downhill again.

Nefarast:

I think Jojen's actor is okay, it's rather the writing - right now, Bran's storyline doesn't really have anything major happen, and the attempts to make it more interesting have failed largely

Robb beheading Karstark with one stroke was intentional - Robb has already made a lot of blunders and they wanted to avoid putting him too far in the "bound to fail" section (Not that they've managed, imho) and call up connections to Ned.

Man, season 2. Where they really started diverging from the books. Unlike a lot of people I know I don't really care that they change things; in a lot of ways they've made it better because if Martin is guilty of anything it's long-windedness. But I don't think they really got it down until this season. So season two feels quite . . . messy, at times.

Buuuuut it also has some of the series' best moments. So hey.

p2gq.jpg

"the things i do for loev"

*jaime pushes locke into the bear pit*

was a definite building episode. i'm guessing it'll end up being the weakest of the season, some of the dialogue in it was kinda ehh. surprising it's the GRRM episode, too.

FBqTDdL.jpg

sleep like dead men

wake up like dead men

Yeah I was expecting more things to happen considering how much is coming up. I figured they would do the bear pit but also the first of several weddings. I liked that it spent so much time with Jon and Ygritte even if some of it was a retread; GRRM definitely knows his characters better. Jon's warning about attacking the wall was probably the most interesting thing he's said all season.

I'm guessing we'll get some Stannis next week so Melisandre can do some voodoo, considering that's the last episode before . . . you know . . . that one.

p2gq.jpg

Please tell me that everybody else feels my unrelenting hate for hate for Daenarys because of this episode. It's just her being a [bleep] and power-tripping, TV Joffrey is far more likeable and better suited for leadership than Princess Muh-Dragons-Make-Me-Superior-To-Everybody-Else.

And dye your damn eyebrows:

2bLNS3C.jpg

Grrr.

Jaime Lannister is wonderfully acted and the unexpected underdog of the series.

Shae is also terribly annoying.

Why do they even bother to keep showing Theon getting tortured, it's not like he does of note for the next couple of series - and even then it's not that much. Theon is the unluckiest man in the whole story, George R.R Martin should just kill him off already because I'm always hoping for him - especially in Clash of Kings when you sort of realise that he's an alright person and life has just handed him bad cards.

Most of my posts here are just my hate of various characters. I wish I could go into Westeros in around the early part of the book as Joffrey (10/10 facial aesthetics, king, gets all the [bleep]ez) just after Robert is murdered then I would make a lot of changes around there.

Here is a list of all the characters who would be dead under my rule as Joffrey:

Cersei, Maergery and her [bleep] mother and brother, Jojen, Daenerys, Littlefinger, Ros (but early on), Tywin (TV-series Tywin is likeable, but I would kill him anyway because he was rude to me last episode and he doesn't let me punish Sansa a few times). We all get this sense that Joffrey is some sort of tyrant, but killing a few prostitutes and being terribly mean to Sansa isn't really too much a problem - he doesn't do very much actual ruling.

Sansa would be my bride. Assuming it's TV series Sansa. I would have had Baelish cut his throat, and then execute Baelish for that. This would likely mean that the Battle for the Five Kings wouldn't have occured, or at least only involved the two other baratheons. I would publicly apologise for Ned Stark's death.

If I did not have the knowledge I had today, I would have killed Ned the exact same way Joffrey did.

If I hadn't done that, I would have marched against The North. While the castle is strong, it's not impenetrable and my time as king was during the long summer. I would lay siege to the castle and catapult barrels of wildfire in. Also, I would arm my soldiers with massive waterguns made with wildfire. I would let Bran and Robb and everybody live - just have them pay fealty at swordpoint.

I would send emissaries to beyond the wall to say that Winterfell and the North belongs to them as it is their right. They would march against it. The people who hate me in Winterfell would all be dead.

Joffrey realised that Cersei was manipulative but did nothing to stop her. She was rather dangerous in the early part. I would have had her poisoned.

Littlefinger was a terrible treasurer, although I would not know that. He certainly has a reputation for trying to make himself more powerful through deceit. Public execution which would increase my popularity.

Bran would be safe inside Winterfell and would lure Jojen to him. The two would be kidnapped and used in an imperial warg unit to make sure that everything is known by me. Does lobotomising kill the warg ability? If not, I would lobotomise both of them. Also - I would make Jojen a cripple as well so he can't run away.

Furthermore, when I was attacked by the poor I would have slaughtered them all. What sort of king allows commoners to nearly murder him and get away with it, it's ridiculous. Joffrey is a terrible pushover - throughout the series there was examples upon examples of Joffrey getting told exactly what to do and just dealing with it, on small things like Eddard's beheading he got his own way but he really is a terrible king.

I am wondering whether or not I should kill Tywin, but I would not. Instead he would be tasked with the war against Daenarys and her armies. This would basically be manipulating the Eastern Cities and sending a load of assassins to kill her. Further to that, wild-fire spraying suicide bombers.

qTLQRuS.png

Finished season 2, continuing to really enjoy it. I don't have cable, any suggestions for watching season 3 episodes in high quality? I don't mind paying if it's worth it...

polvCwJ.gif