do NPCs have combat modes?

ixfd64

I've noticed that a particular NPC may hit high damage or block attacks frequently. For example, today I've had a scorpion that kept hitting 0's on level 3's. On the other hand, I also had another scorpion that kept hitting a player that worth mithril (albeit not very high). So I thought I'd ask: do you think NPCs have combat modes like players do?

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

What do you mean a combat mode? For that matter, how do players have "combat modes"?

Either way, RS combat is based on an RNG system, which at the end of the day is based largely on luck.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

If I recall correctly, accurate/aggressive/defensive stances give you an invisible +3 bonus to the relevant skill, while controlled gives you +1 to each. So in terms of mechanics, it wouldn't be hard for monsters to have combat modes. But I doubt they do; what you saw was most likely just random chance.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

What about weapons? Do NPCs have weapons or armour coded or do they just have bigger att/str/def to compensate their lack of equipment. Is Combat level calculated excat same way as you calculate players CB or does it have some differences?

Tsukaji.png

What about weapons? Do NPCs have weapons or armour coded or do they just have bigger att/str/def to compensate their lack of equipment. Is Combat level calculated excat same way as you calculate players CB or does it have some differences?

this is impossible to tell.

it's not like general monsters use prayer/magic/etc

some npcs have different "weapons" (check fire giants?/zombies/etc)

if they have different combat levels - they *may* hit more/less often but generally, a fire giant with a club wouldn't do more damage then one without

capt%20kevin.png

Thinking about that, and I don't have a clue. Like if you hit constant zeros on something, it could mean they're using defensive, but at the same time it could just mean the monster has a good defence against that particular attack style or just a generally high Defence level.

j0xPu5R.png

Npcs that are human that wield weapons that you can see probally have that weapon.

But monsters don't have weapons, just very high combat levels.

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Defensive would be a 3/13th higher max defence roll at level 1 defence (increase from 13 to 16). That's not the difference between hitting straight zeroes and straight damage.

Also, monsters that have major melee style weaknesses probably have some gear, such as dragons, waterfiends etc. I also suspect many bosses have some gear bonusus - to double your defence you only need +64 defence bonus, but if you wanted to do that by levels you'd have to double your level and more. E.g. to double your defence roll at 99 defence takes another 107 levels or +64 gear bonus. At a certain point your combat level just gets way too high, especially if you are talking corp/nex style health and accuracy and damage (iirc the 3k hp levels Nex has are like 500 combat levels?).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It is hard to tell.

BUT, as calculating accuracy, it is like percentage i.e. probability on opponent's attack and the player's defence.

The point you mentioned should be about luck.

Adventure starts AT 20/8/2010

Obtained my QuestCape at 4/1/2011

ENJOY Runescaping!!

Kagami_Love.png

Defensive would be a 3/13th higher max defence roll at level 1 defence (increase from 13 to 16). That's not the difference between hitting straight zeroes and straight damage.

Also, monsters that have major melee style weaknesses probably have some gear, such as dragons, waterfiends etc. I also suspect many bosses have some gear bonusus - to double your defence you only need +64 defence bonus, but if you wanted to do that by levels you'd have to double your level and more. E.g. to double your defence roll at 99 defence takes another 107 levels or +64 gear bonus. At a certain point your combat level just gets way too high, especially if you are talking corp/nex style health and accuracy and damage (iirc the 3k hp levels Nex has are like 500 combat levels?).

3k health nex has is 750 combat levels? :blink:

L2pullout.png

3k health nex has is 750 combat levels? :blink:

I would say, because her combat is 1001, they manually changed it to that with other stats... Just imho. NPCs with unique attacks don't have to follow the combat triangle/styles

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

NPCs Do have weapons and armour.

I remember that someone (Possibly Brunokiller?) posted on the screenies thread that during a quest (believe one of the void ones) you take over the body of an NPC and get to move around as it. Now you're not meant to be able to do this but he managed to open the equipment screen through some bug and it showed that he was meant to be wearing a few pieces of armour (iirc it was generic rune stuff) but normally the character appeared to be wearing some sort of costume.

I believe that this (along with the fact that you don't leech 100s of levels with curses) means that NPCs do have armour and weapons. As such, it could be argued that they could equally have attack styles although I think that would be a jump too far.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever

I remember that someone (Possibly Brunokiller?) posted on the screenies thread that during a quest (believe one of the void ones) you take over the body of an NPC and get to move around as it. Now you're not meant to be able to do this but he managed to open the equipment screen through some bug and it showed that he was meant to be wearing a few pieces of armour (iirc it was generic rune stuff) but normally the character appeared to be wearing some sort of costume.

It was addy armor. Everyone could do it, at least at the time I did the quest, so it wasn't a bug. Also, they gave you addy armor so you wouldn't get wrecked while fighting during that part. You were taking control of an NPC skin, but still controlling your character with that specific gear.

If I recall correctly, accurate/aggressive/defensive stances give you an invisible +3 bonus to the relevant skill, while controlled gives you +1 to each.

where did people first think this, did a jmod tell us or somthing?

your such a mother [bleep]er. whats with all this bombchu [cabbage]? all everyone who likes this [cabbage] is stupid. ur a [bleep]ing cheater. u did that the wrong way, thats not how to get past the king zora u cheater. u suck and i wont continue watching all ur [cabbage]! videos

he mad?

NPCs Do have weapons and armour.

I believe that this (along with the fact that you don't leech 100s of levels with curses) means that NPCs do have armour and weapons. As such, it could be argued that they could equally have attack styles although I think that would be a jump too far.

Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows. Barrows.

They have armour. They have BARROWS armour. They are essentially players with maxed def, hp, 0 prayer and summon, with 99 att/str for the melee'ers, 99 range for Karil and 99 mage for Ahrim. Wearing barrows armour. Even Ahrim is seen using spells off the standard spellbook. They should give him bind and fire surge tho...

As for NPCs using combat styles, I'd expect them to use combat styles but to always use the SAME combat style.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

It was addy armor. Everyone could do it, at least at the time I did the quest, so it wasn't a bug. Also, they gave you addy armor so you wouldn't get wrecked while fighting during that part. You were taking control of an NPC skin, but still controlling your character with that specific gear.

I'm pretty sure you're right about the addy armour though I remember I did the quest after I saw the pic and deliberately tried to recreate it but wasn't able. Maybe it was a really simple glitch that you achieved accidently? (or maybe I'm a noob...).

If I recall correctly, accurate/aggressive/defensive stances give you an invisible +3 bonus to the relevant skill, while controlled gives you +1 to each.

where did people first think this, did a jmod tell us or somthing?

It was shown on classic and probably confirmed by j-mods since though I know for a fact that a few months ago they said they fixed a bug where you'd keep the defensive stance bonus when switching between 2 weapons when you weren't meant to so that's indirect confirmation.

Schmuall.png

give F2P a penny and they want a dime; give P2P a quarter, they want 100,000 dollars, your car, house, boat, social security number, credit card numbers, drivers license, clothes on your back and everything you ever owned or interacted with ever