Jagex taking stance

Pinata

I don't think bot busting events are a real solution. It's just a complete waste of time. If every single player would report some bots while training, it would be a lot better. But I usually hear even friends saying that they are too lazy to report bots because it doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Well, it DOES have an effect. I usually make a Runetrack account for high leveled bots and add them to my fl to see if they get banned. And yes, they usually get banned in 7 days ;). I report about 6 bots a day. If everybody would do that, imagine howmany bots would get banned. But the problem is, Jagex doesn't show the effect of a report. If it was possible to see howmany bots you have reported, I guess more people will start reporting :rolleyes:.

B71AkU0.png      Fire_Hawk154.png

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think bot busting events are a real solution. It's just a complete waste of time. If every single player would report some bots while training, it would be a lot better. But I usually hear even friends saying that they are too lazy to report bots because it doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Well, it DOES have an effect. I usually make a Runetrack account for high leveled bots and add them to my fl to see if they get banned. And yes, they usually get banned in 7 days ;). I report about 6 bots a day. If everybody would do that, imagine howmany bots would get banned. But the problem is, Jagex doesn't show the effect of a report. If it was possible to see howmany bots you have reported, I guess more people will start reporting :rolleyes:.

Indeed, imagine if banning 10,000 bots was a requirement for the trimmed CC.

But I have no faith in the general RS population. Most likely Jagex will be found smothered to death underneath a heap of false reports.

Castle of Zoltar

I say they should incorporate a bunch more random events/ make them more difficult. Seriously, random events nowadays are just short "inconveniences" that any bot can do just as quick if not quicker than players.

Harder/longer and generally more 'advanced' random events would be an annoyance to a lot of players, including me. Especially as the current random event rewards are ****.

Owner of a comp cape since February 11th 2012.

[spoiler=Message to Jagex]Dear Jagex, If you read this and care about your game, please rewrite your client in c/c++, this will kill most bots if not all for a couple of months while the bot writers switch to a c/c++ system. Besides, you use a lot of c/c++/assembler in the native libraries and the game would run a lot smoother if it wasn't in the JVM. You could use the applet to invoke the engine or even display graphics, but as far as game control, leave it to c/c++. It wouldn't take much JNI or JAWT usage to convert.Sincerely, A long time RS player who wants his game back.

This would only make things more difficult for bot writers for, as you said, a month or two... Then what after that?

Rotating encrypted Item and object ID algorithms reconfigured by the server every 3 hours. This would break bots every 3 hours forcing the owners to update. Seeing that every major update in Runescape takes bots down for 10 hours - 3 days, this would drastically reduce the number of bots.

That's because the bot writers chose to run by item/object ID. I could quite easily write one that does not use those and it'd work as soon as you can log in after an update. :P.

They'd simply have to use another method for bot scripting. Simple.

09144a99bb.png

A bit random, but the problem with most anti-bot solutions I see people come up with is the screw over the current bots. People forget that bot writers can just write a new bot to deal with the method that killed the old bot.

But seriously, if Jagex truly wanted to take a stance on botting, they need harsher punishments. People used to bot on throw-away accounts because they didn't want to risk their main. Now people frequently train or make money with bots on their main because the risk isn't really there.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

A bit random, but the problem with most anti-bot solutions I see people come up with is the screw over the current bots. People forget that bot writers can just write a new bot to deal with the method that killed the old bot.

But seriously, if Jagex truly wanted to take a stance on botting, they need harsher punishments. People used to bot on throw-away accounts because they didn't want to risk their main. Now people frequently train or make money with bots on their main because the risk isn't really there.

The best solution then would be to implement new bot-breaking content every month or so. Doesn't have to be too complicated, just enough to keep the bot developers busy, and the community at whole skeptical of their programming abilities.

99 dungeoneering achieved, thanks to everyone that celebrated with me!

♪♪ Don't interrupt me as I struggle to complete this thought
Have some respect for someone more forgetful than yourself ♪♪

♪♪ And I'm not done
And I won't be till my head falls off ♪♪

I don't anything about programming, but how about instead of trying to prevent bots. Just find a way to check if a human or program is controlling a character, then ban it if it comes up program controlled? I know bot programs are written to imitate humans, but surely they still leave some kind of tell-tale trace?

Snowjoke.png

Until I see all the bots get cleaned in the Mining Guild on all worlds, I'm not going to believe them.

The same goes true for any other spots. Even the GE ad bots.

douvdFX.jpg

Blog

Trimmed | Master Quester | Final Boss

Boss pets: Bombi | Shrimpy | Ellie | Tz-Rek Jad | Karil the Bobbled | Mega Ducklings

120s: Dungeoneering | Invention

I don't anything about programming, but how about instead of trying to prevent bots. Just find a way to check if a human or program is controlling a character, then ban it if it comes up program controlled? I know bot programs are written to imitate humans, but surely they still leave some kind of tell-tale trace?

It would seem to me that something like that would require a Jagex program to access your computer. Am I right?

phpFffu7GPM.jpg

"He could climb to it, if he climbed alone, and once there he could suck on the pap of life, gulp down the incomparable milk of wonder."

Bots are now sophisticated enough that this wouldn't work without inconveniencing legit players.

Runescape being browser-based just makes it worse.

Castle of Zoltar

So Jagex is paying people to run a giant PR move and ban bots with players to watch them? I'd rather have more staff on the report query team that could sift through all the bot reports made by players. There are plenty of bots who have been reported and nothing is done for days and even weeks.

On the other hand, this could be a nice PR push that will put faith in players and allow for people to think Jagex actively working against the massive influx of bots into RuneScape.

On the issue of bot ruining techniques, I have one thing to say: They lowered the frequency of random events (the main bot stumbling block) because they inconvienced players. I cannot see Jagex taking any serious measures to inconvience or incapacitate bots because of the massive player base that will be annoyed by the update, no matter how good it is to harm bots.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

If the bot busting teams are supposed to be noticeable, wouldn't that make it really easy for botters to just change worlds?

Except the fact they're out to get the bots who are run by one person and not monitored at all. A better query would be: won't announced bot-bustin' times, for players to join in, signal the occasional botters to not be on at that time or for the people running many bots to log their accounts out for that time period?

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

670th to 99 Smithing July 21st, 07 |743rd to 99 Mining November 29th, 07 | 649th to 99 Runecrafting May 18th, 08 | 29,050th to 99 Defence October 20th, 08 | 20,700th to 99 Magic November 8, 08 | 47,938th to 99 Attack December 19, 08 | 37,829th to 99 Hitpoints December 24, 08 | 68,604th to 99 Strength February 4, 09 | 27,983rd to 99 Range February 9, 09 | 9,725th to 99 Prayer June 8, 09 | 6,620th to 99 Slayer December, 12 09 | 4,075th to 99 Summoning December, 28 09 | 3,551th to 99 Herblore February 24, 10 | 3,192th to 99 Dungeoneering November 11, 10 | 146,600th to 99 Cooking December 29th, 10 | 11,333rd to 99 Construction June 7th, 11 | 16,648th to 99 Farming August 1st, 11 | 19,993th to 99 Crafting August 2nd, 11 | 89,739th to 99 Woodcutting Janurary 1st, 12 | 55,424th to 99 Fishing May 9th, 12| 60,648th to 99 Firemaking May 12th, 12 | 16666th to 99 Agility May 17th, 2012 | 24476th to 99 Hunter June 1st, 2012 | 57,881st to 99 Fletching June 1st, 2012 | All 99s June 1st, 2012 | 3183th to 120 Dungeoneering July 24th, 2012 | 2341st to 2496 Total level July 24th, 2012 | Completionist Cape July 24th, 2012

As long as runescape is around there will be bots

/thread

But seriously, Runescape is almost asking for bots to proliferate here. It is a browser based java game that features simplistic and repetitive tasks managed by a company ill-equipped to monitor and survey hundreds of thousands of players.

Rejected.jpg

A lot of players would probably enjoy this event, because you know reporting a 133 botter feels pretty damn good.

That sounded a bit jelly. Lol.

I thought this was a Dev Blog at first. And then I wondered why it wasn't...

I should think that only zealots would join RS on FB, which are the kind of players they would want (or possibly the only ones they can reach) for these kind of events...

Honestly, if they just gave right-click flagging options to the few players left that actually care, they'd get quite a bit of free labor...

Not talking P-Mods. Try Bot Death Squad or something more specifically tailored. Generally, P-Mods are only a nuisance to real players.

2dgucz6.png

All right then, let's make a "detailed" list of known popular botting locations – so that it can be submitted to Jagex in the RSOF – for their attention and action.

Dear Jagex Mod in Charge of Bot Removal ("JMICOBR"):

We'd love to support your claims that Jagex is actually "doing something" with respect to removing "bots" from the game. We really would.

However, the consistent presence of rather obvious bots, found in common areas, at all times of the day and night, tend to debunk the rumour that whatever it is you're doing about the botting problem is either not effective or non-existent.

We shall forthwith suspend any "belief" that you're actually doing anything at all about the botting problem until if, as and when ALL bots are removed from the following well-known "common botting locations", namely:

1. Fishing Guild;

2. Mining Guild;

3. Catherby Beach fishing;

4. Musa Point (F2P fishing);

5. Taverly Dungeon Blue Dragons;

6. Taverly Dungeon Black Demons;

7. Sorceress's Garden;

8. Aubury's Rune Essence shop;

9. Wilderness Green Dragons;

10. Grand Exchange Firemakers;

11. Grand Exchange/Lumbridge/Edgeville/every bank in Runescape F2P Autotypers;

12. Frost Dragons;

13. Runecrafters using Graahk's to make Nature runes from Castle Wars to the Nature Altar;

Until such time as these obvious bots are removed from these common areas, it's abundantly clear to us that you're not doing anything at all about the "botting" problem, except paying lip service in an attempt to calm the rising ire of your regular players.

Support:

Blyaunte

Please feel free to add any other obvious botting spots and/or your name to the support list.

Thanks.

nyuseg.png

[hide=Shortening the page length]

All right then, let's make a "detailed" list of known popular botting locations – so that it can be submitted to Jagex in the RSOF – for their attention and action.

We'd love to support your claims that Jagex is actually "doing something" with respect to removing "bots" from the game. We really would.

However, the consistent presence of rather obvious bots, found in common areas, at all times of the day and night, tend to debunk the rumour that whatever it is you're doing about the botting problem is either not effective or non-existent.

We shall forthwith suspend any "belief" that you're actually doing anything at all about the botting problem until if, as and when ALL bots are removed from the following well-known "common botting locations", namely:

1. Fishing Guild;

2. Mining Guild;

7. Sorceress's Garden;

12. Frost Dragons;

13. Runecrafters using Graahk's to make Nature runes from Castle Wars to the Nature Altar;

Until such time as these obvious bots are removed from these common areas, it's abundantly clear to us that you're not doing anything at all about the "botting" problem, except paying lip service in an attempt to calm the rising ire of your regular players.

Support:

Blyaunte

Please feel free to add any other obvious botting spots and/or your name to the support list.

Thanks.

[/hide]

No offence but, I do not think that post is the right approach. Jagex doesn't respond to anything that has the tone of anti-Jagex anymore. All the post needs is a rewording with a lighter tone and it will get player attention and Jagex won't be able to dismiss it as negative.

On another note, all of the yew trees around Falador are full of bots. Even barbarian village mine has bots these days...

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

All right then, let's make a "detailed" list of known popular botting locations so that it can be submitted to Jagex in the RSOF for their attention and action.

1. Fishing Guild;

2. Mining Guild;

7. Sorceress's Garden;

12. Frost Dragons;

14. All Yew Trees south of Falador, Edgeville and Varrock in F2P;

15. All ivy woodcutting locations;

16. Magic trees at the Sorceror's tower;

Support:

Blyaunte

Thanks.

[/hide]

No offence but, I do not think that post is the right approach. Jagex doesn't respond to anything that has the tone of anti-Jagex anymore. All the post needs is a rewording with a lighter tone and it will get player attention and Jagex won't be able to dismiss it as negative.

On another note, all of the yew trees around Falador are full of bots. Even barbarian village mine has bots these days...

Hey! Re-word it then. I'm not known for my cuddly approach when it comes to dealing with Jagex, but if you think you can re-word it so that it's sweet but to the point (and by "you" I mean ANYONE, not just the "you" you) then by all means, have at it. :)

The point I want to get across is that there's way too many fricken' bots in way too many fricken' obvious bot locations, and judging by the sheer numbers of fricken' bots being employed in the fricken' game, right fricken' now, Jagex isn't doing a fricken' thing about it ...

... and yes, I WAS trying to sound like Dr. Evil just then ... :-P

Oh -- and I added the woodcutting spots to the list of "obvious bot spots" ...

nyuseg.png

1. Fishing Guild;

2. Mining Guild;

7. Sorceress's Garden;

12. Frost Dragons;

Support:

Blyaunte

Thanks.

[/hide]

Hey! Re-word it then. I'm not known for my cuddly approach when it comes to dealing with Jagex, but if you think you can re-word it so that it's sweet but to the point (and by "you" I mean ANYONE, not just the "you" you) then by all means, have at it. :)

The point I want to get across is that there's way too many fricken' bots in way too many fricken' obvious bot locations, and judging by the sheer numbers of fricken' bots being employed in the fricken' game, right fricken' now, Jagex isn't doing a fricken' thing about it ...

... and yes, I WAS trying to sound like Dr. Evil just then ... :-P

Oh -- and I added the woodcutting spots to the list of "obvious bot spots" ...

Since it's a wet and dreary Thursday morning...I'll give it a shot.

Dear Jagex Mod in Charge of Bot Removal ("JMICOBR"),

As an active and caring member of the RuneScape community, I'd love to assist in the bot busting parties by compliling a list of locations frequented by bots.

Moreover, the consistent presence of an overwhelming amount of bots, found in common areas, at all times of the day and night, are a hinderance to legitemate players and I applaud you for your recent idea of bot busting parties.

This further supports the fact that Jagex is actively hunting down bots and attempted to crush the massive bot problem that consumes RuneScape. When ALL bots are removed from the following well-known common botting locations then players will truely know how proactive the staff is, namely:

-blah blah list blah blah

I am sure I speak for every player in RuneScape when I say, I cannot wait for the comming of these bot bustin' parties and cannot wait to see the day when bots run in cowardice from our parties!

*wipes brown off my nose* I hope this is better.

Click for My Blog

Runescapew44.png

b3e1cfada6.png

Since it's a wet and dreary Thursday morning...I'll give it a shot.

As active and caring members of the RuneScape community, we'd love to assist in the bot busting parties by compliling a list of locations frequented by bots.

Moreover, the consistent presence of an overwhelming amount of bots, found in common areas, at all times of the day and night, are a hindrance to legitimate players, and we applaud you for your recent idea of bot busting parties.

This further supports the fact that Jagex is actively hunting down bots and attempting to crush the massive bot problem that now consumes RuneScape. When ALL bots are removed from the following well-known common botting locations, then players will truly know how pro-active the staff is, namely:

1. Fishing Guild;

2. Mining Guild;

7. Sorceress's Garden;

12. Frost Dragons;

We are sure we speak for all players in RuneScape when we say, we cannot wait for the comming of these bot bustin' parties, and cannot wait to see the day when bots run in cowardice from our parties!

*wipes brown off my nose* I hope this is better.

Fixed it -- used the "royal we" for more effect ...

It's now so pro-Jagex, it makes me nauseous -- *retches* -- which means it is near perfection ... :lol:

nyuseg.png

I have some new additions to your list:

- Rimmington Mine

- Al'Kharid Mine

- Dwarven Mine next to the resource dungeon

- Daemonhiem

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

I have some new additions to your list:

- Rimmington Mine

- Al'Kharid Mine

- Dwarven Mine next to the resource dungeon

- Daemonhiem

Dwarven mine next to the resource dungeon is the "Mining Guild" -- but I will add the others ... ;-)

As active and caring members of the RuneScape community, we'd love to assist in the bot busting parties by compliling a list of locations frequented by bots.

Moreover, the consistent presence of an overwhelming amount of bots, found in common areas, at all times of the day and night, are a hindrance to legitimate players, and we applaud you for your recent idea of bot busting parties.

This further supports the fact that Jagex is actively hunting down bots and attempting to crush the massive bot problem that now consumes RuneScape. When ALL bots are removed from the following well-known common botting locations, then players will truly know how pro-active the staff is, namely:

1. Fishing Guild;

2. Mining Guild;

7. Sorceress's Garden;

12. Frost Dragons;

17. Rimmington Mine

18. Al'Kharid Mine

19. Daemonhiem

We are sure we speak for all players in RuneScape when we say, we cannot wait for the comming of these bot bustin' parties, and cannot wait to see the day when bots run in cowardice from our parties!

nyuseg.png

Dwarven mine next to the resource dungeon is the "Mining Guild" -- but I will add the others ... ;-)

I meant the iron rocks next to the level 15 resource dungeon, not the level 45 one inside the guild; but I see your point. :)

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Yeah basically. If people are mad about bots they should join them, instead of complaining about playing honorably on a fansite :lol:

This makes no sense. I have a right to complain about bots because they affect my gaming experience. I enjoy playing the game and I do not care if someone bots to get ahead of me on the high scores, but I do care about the bots that affect my gameplay.

If you played for fun bots DONT affect your gameplay. If you play for an enlarged e-peen your wasting your time legiting, you might as well join them. I look forward to the angry e-famers who will rage/deny what I just said.

I have fun mining, but it's hard to do that when all the training spots are full of bots. Besides, it's not that bots make the game less fun, after all I can always train other skills that they don't affect like DG, but the fact they're not only being lazy but breaking the rules that bothers me.

Seeing people blatantly flaunting their disregard for the rules has always rubbed me the wrong way.