NOTE: About 10 minutes after I took the screenshot, a PMOD dropped in. He said he muted 24 of them... unfortunately after he left 10 more appeared out of nowhere.
Jagex needs to change their game, and give more power to its players. The tools we have to combat spammers and RWTers are limited, virtually non-existant. I know there are only so many player moderators out there, perhaps we need a new system?
What I propose is straight forward:
1. Allow all players to freeze their chat windows. Allow all players to right-click "Report Abuse" when their chat windows are frozen.
2. Allow all players to send in as many reports as they please, don't limit them to one a minute.
3. When enough players send in abuse reports, a 1 hour auto-mute is placed on the offender. If the offender is automuted X times in Y hours, they're muted for Z hours (yes, there is potential abuse to this system, but I believe it'll help a ton)
4. Limit the number of characters a player can send in the chat window per minute based on some criteria (highest level/total levels/total experience/distance traveled in game)
5. Automatically flag players that type the same thing over and over again (these player's threshold for number of reports required for auto-mute are drastically lowered).