Implications of the Stone of Jas

Squakus

During While Guthix Sleeps, our character touches the Stone of Jas. According to the Runescape storyline, others who touched the Stone of Jas, like the Moon Clan or the people who discovered the rune essence mine, gained the ability to use magic without runes. However, when we touch the Stone of Jas, we get a temporary combat boost and 400k xp.

I think that to fit in with the storyline, we should get some ability with magic or runecrafting, like an ability to save some runes while spellcasting or a slight increase in rune production, like the effect of the lumbridge ring but with all rune types, and not just the elemental runes.

What is your opinion on this, and what other abilities should we gain from the Stone of Jas if we find it again in a later quest?

Please discuss.

flere_imsaho.png

As the size of an explosion increases, the number of social situations it is incapabale of solving approaches zero.

Ensure you are not a social situation.

The reward wasn't good enough for you? :P

400k exp is tremendous, because NPC's don't have visible exp levels etc. We get a permanent level/exp boost to show we learned lessons. Anyone could apply those skills where he/she saw fit, so I think the reward can fit with lore if you put it on runecrafting or magic. I personally chose herblore. :)

I don't know where things are going to go, but I look forward to it earnestly and in the meantime, keep skilling away so I have the quest requirements the day of release.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

I thought the xp wasn't from the stone anyways, just some npc training

if you really want an explanation the post about only having touched it for a moment seems reasonable though.

The XP is from a NPC training you to unlock the potential you've gotten from the stone

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

It's likely that the Moon Clan used it in a very different way. Lucien seems to use it in different ways, too. I'm sure if our characters spent more time using it and studying it, we'd be much more badass than the one time we touched it briefly.

dgs5.jpg
To put it bluntly, [bleep] off.

i don't think the stone of jas is inherently related to magic and runecrafting.

Guthix and Saradomin used it to bolster their power.

It is implied that zamorak used it to help him achieve godhood.

based on that, i believe that if it's gonna give us a boost, it should boost everything.

I don't like cliche plot devices either :P

Naaxi.png

i don't think the stone of jas is inherently related to magic and runecrafting.

Guthix and Saradomin used it to bolster their power.

It is implied that zamorak used it to help him achieve godhood.

based on that, i believe that if it's gonna give us a boost, it should boost everything.

I don't like cliche plot devices either :P

I thought Zamorak achieved godhood by him and someone else (Saradomin?) being stabbed through by the staff of Armadyl and the staff acting as a conduit for the power that Zamorak recieved

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

Zamorak was just a Mahhajong* who stormed Zaros's fortress with the staff of Armadyl, and in an epic turn of events that is so epic that we will never see, stabbed Zaros and himself, reducing Zaros to the equivalent of a very small frog, and transferring Zaros's godly juice into himself.

stone of jas 101.

zamorak used it to go from being a demi god to a full blown god. (when zamorak attacked zaros, Zamorak took zaros's "god-ness" though the staff, but only later

did zamorak really become a god).

the stone of jas is the reason for rune crafting, rune essence is normal rock that has been around the stone of jas for so long that the huge power of the object has warped it in to something strange, and allowed it to absorb raw magic. the moonclan used this to copy the runes guthix left on the world.

the stone of jas has been stolen by another mahj-something-something-t (lucin) also with the goal of becoming a god.

the stone of jas has been moved around and around. as said before, the essence mines was where it was, it was also at the fist of guthix (infact, guthix named the stone of jas the "fist of Guthix", Saradomin also named it the "eye of saradomin". gods, they can be really up them selfs sometimes) later was moved to the lumbige caves.

its current location is unknown.

just to clear thing up.

back to the topic though, the moon clan gained ability from the stone of jas, so we should too.

two things though.

1: they had a much longer time to mess with it then we have.

2: we already have the ability to make runes. and that was caused by the stone of jas. so in fact we already have a runecrafting ability caused by the stone of jas XD.

mlpfim20percentcoolersi.jpg

I'm a Brony and proud of it!

I thought the ability to create runes was simply taking a sort of magic-sponge (essence) to a place where a certain kind of magic overflowed (altar) and it was temporarily capturing that power to be released later as magic. The Stone of Jas (SOJ) however if I understand is the root of this magic, so if simple rocks by being near the SOJ became magic sponges, why couldn't we the player receive some sort of additional tendency with magic?

Granted the Moonclan had more time to be around it hence their more magical state, but any player that has been in contact with the stone should theoretically have a marked improvement in magical ability (not just a paltry XP reward, some sort of tangible, real effect like SOL's rune saving effect for example)

plzstayokrf4.png

sodb4jz.jpg

Sodb Forum

siggiedxc2.png

Stop thinking. It's Runescape.

It really has to do with the fact we didn't know how to use it and we just merely touched it a bit.

It only gives us a "small" bonus of 400k exp.

The rune essence is probably the original place of the stone? As there is nothing in the middle.

It was also in the moon clan.

Amonitas.png

Quest cape since 11th July 99 Farming 4th February 99 Cooking 31st August

I thought the ability to create runes was simply taking a sort of magic-sponge (essence) to a place where a certain kind of magic overflowed (altar) and it was temporarily capturing that power to be released later as magic. The Stone of Jas (SOJ) however if I understand is the root of this magic, so if simple rocks by being near the SOJ became magic sponges, why couldn't we the player receive some sort of additional tendency with magic?

Granted the Moonclan had more time to be around it hence their more magical state, but any player that has been in contact with the stone should theoretically have a marked improvement in magical ability (not just a paltry XP reward, some sort of tangible, real effect like SOL's rune saving effect for example)

given time, yes you are right. being near the SOJ for a while and learning about it would most probably teach you more about magic then all the runes in runescape.

but we touched it, and it got stolen.

its like going to school, you dont learn how to do 12 grade maths just by sitting in one class. no matter how good your teacher is.

maybe the sequel to WGS(in like the year 2o50 trolololol) lets us learn some thing new about runecrafting and magic.

I would like to see some additional powers (from the Stone of Jas or from Zaros) being given to us, such as a quest reward which gives you minor free spells/runes, such as free air runes. If such abilities are unlocked like Livid Farm spells or dungeoneering prayers, I can see them being balanced, provided it's only free elemental + mind/body runes. I don't really care where the powers come from though :P.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

I would like to see some additional powers (from the Stone of Jas or from Zaros) being given to us, such as a quest reward which gives you minor free spells/runes, such as free air runes. If such abilities are unlocked like Livid Farm spells or dungeoneering prayers, I can see them being balanced, provided it's only free elemental + mind/body runes. I don't really care where the powers come from though :P.

tbh if your powerful enough to get the SOJ/help zaros get free, having to use less runes would be far down the list of things you would want.

it would be like upgrading rune armour for defeating nomad. if you could kill nomad why would you still be using rune?!

although I agree with the new and/or buffed up spells.

Why not a new spellbook? A Divine spellbook. Instead of costing runes, it would cost magic/hp/prayer levels. You could say that they are so powerful, that not even a hundred runes can cover the cost and you have to use your own life force