It's always possible Kree's attack is not very accurate but ignores armour, or that both the magic and ranged attacks both get an attack roll vs. the appropriate defence, and that determines whether both or neither hit.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

So, rebalancing runescape, e.g. RS3. Interesting stuffs.

First of all, make lower levels much more significant.

I'd start at level 0 with 0 xp (is easier to work with, level 1 with 10k xp also works as start), 10k xp to level. Just add 1k xp per level required, putting 98-99 at 108k xp required. Total xp to 99 would be 5841k, 5950k for level 100 (quest). If you really want to stick close to the original scape I suppose you could multiply that by 2.2 or something, which would give you 12850k xp to 99.

Balance this to make 2475 total take about 5000 hours (200 per skill), excluding quests & quest rewards. The idea is to make quests and such speed this up a bit.

For each skill make a novice quest (like Wolf Whistle) which provides 10k xp in that skill. Also make a mastery quest which requires 99 in that skill and grants 109k xp + level 100 in that skill (so you can't get level 100 without the quest). Mastery quests would require high 'companion' skills as well, e.g. to become a master smith you need 90 mining and/or 90 crafting or w/e. Because allrounding rocks :P.

Of course, balance equipment & resources to be more like dg. Give equipment sets lp boosts equal to 10*defence level required (so, if we put dragon plate+legs+helm+boots+gloves at 60 defence, 600 lp boost for the set). Cap lp boost at 10*hp level to prevent people from making 1 hp pures with crazy health and stuff (you won't need hp level requirements on armour anymore). Also since you're starting from 0 hp, add 100 base lp or something.

Jagex' current system is 1 unit for helmet, 2 units for legs and 3 for body (lp-wise) so add 1/2 a unit for boots/gloves/cape/amulet each, giving you 8 units total (so level 80 leg armour would have +200 lp boost).

There should be basic equipment at each level, with quests & minigames allowing equipment equivalent to 1-2 tiers higher. You could add TokHaar etc. as equivalent to level 90 equipment even though it requires level 70 or even nothing, making it very attractive if you're capable of getting one at 60s all-round stats (which most people aren't). Same deal with void or DT gloves or whatever.

Not sure if soak is still necessary at that point, but if it is, it should be reversed and the soak treshold made dependant on the weighed average of the tiers of equipment you're wearing, rather than the soak percentage made dependant on equipment.

E.g. wearing a full set t10/level 100 (t0 is at level 0, without soak treshold/lp boost) equipment would have 1000 lp boost and a soak treshold of 500. All damage below 500 is reduced by 50% in the primary soak (ranged in the case of melee etc.) and 25% in the secondary (melee if melee).

Wearing a t0 platebody+gloves+boots with that would give you an average tier of 5, going by the above unit system. You're totalling 500 lp boost and 250 soak treshold, all damage below 250 is reduced by 50%/25%/0%.

There's also the variety where any hit below the soak treshold simply doesn't connect, also avoiding any stun/poison/stat drain associated with the effect. That'd allow you to tank low level creatures without freak accident hits.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Go get a job at Jagex! :thumbsup:

yqe0mrU.jpg

^^My blog of EoC PvM, lols and Therapy.^^

My livestream- Currently: Offline :(

Offical Harpy Therapist of the Mad

[hide=Lewtations]

Barrows drops: Dharok's helm x2, Guthan's helm, Ahrim's top, Hood and skirt, Torag's hammers, Karils skirt, Karil's top, Torag's helm, Verac's skirt, Verac's Flail, Dharok's Platebody.

Dag kings drops: Lost count! :wall:

4k+ Glacors, 7 Ragefires, 4 Steadfasts, 4 Glaivens, 400+ shards![/hide]

This.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AheuzHmAkHUNdG5qYUhmVlBJUGhkNnFqM21zV0g5enc

At 60 attack and 70 strength, the dragon scimitar is the best dragon weapon vs any defense. This was calculated using only the weapon and the dragon defender if applicable.

I think this shows just how crappy the combat system is. There's only one dragon weapon worth using (aside from the dagger and claws for specs), rather than every weapon having a use somewhere.

This.

No qualifications :(. I'd redesign the game for free if it meant the removal of SoF tbh but yeah... The hardest part is actually making it interesting. Current RS has all sorts of random points where the best method changes (like, not every 10 levels). In dungeoneering, only slayer provides some in-between spice to the tiers. So you'd have to make some skills (or lots of D&Ds/quests/minigames) like that... I'm thinking slayer, dungeoneering (rewards), all quests... but yeah, balance. But it'd be so good to have quests just give xp for 1-3 levels rather than a random 20k xp at level 70 >.>.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AheuzHmAkHUNdG5qYUhmVlBJUGhkNnFqM21zV0g5enc

At 60 attack and 70 strength, the dragon scimitar is the best dragon weapon vs any defense. This was calculated using only the weapon and the dragon defender if applicable.

I think this shows just how crappy the combat system is. There's only one dragon weapon worth using (aside from the dagger and claws for specs), rather than every weapon having a use somewhere.

Yeah... nothing to say about that lol. The fantastic thing is, this has been the problem ever since rune 2hs became fairly common (first 99 smithing party@@@) and the addition of weapon speed did basically nothing... except make it more complicated (remember cls vs. rapier thread :D).

*crosses fingers for combat rework*

Q might also consider thinking about maybe coming back at the point as well

I've considered getting a month of members after the combat rework to get to grips with that + runespan, QBD etc. because it's annoying to give advice about things you haven't done yourself (even if you have reliable sources). The combat rework video looks really good.

You know, as interesting as the idea is, I think one of RS major weaknesses might be all the skills. With 20+ skills, it's hard to make them all interesting, especially when things like firemaking, woodcutting are skills. And if you try to make 20+ skills interesting, you're putting 1/20th of the work you could put in to making ONE skill REALLY interesting.

Yes, I realize that last statement isn't 100% accurate. It's open to a lot of nitpicking, but I'm hoping you can get the essence of what it's trying to convey.

Honestly, this kind of "rebuild it from the ground up" they're doing is exactly the kind of revitalizing this game needs imo.

Squab unleashes Megiddo! Completed all quests and hard diaries. 75+ Skiller. (At one point.) 2000+ total. 99 Magic.
[spoiler=The rest of my sig. You know you wanna see it.]

my difinition of noob is i dont like u, either u are better then me or u are worst them me

Buying spins make you a bad person...don't do it. It's like buying nukes for North Korea.

Well if it bothers you that the game is more fun now, then you can go cry in a corner. :shame:

your article was the equivalent of a circumcized porcupine

The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a percentage for when you need to stroke it.

7ApdH.png
squabharpy.png
Poignant Purple to Lokie's Ravishing Red and Alg's Brilliant Blue.

My ideas for rs3:

Create a Dungeoneering-like combat system where monsters are weak to 1 style and strong against the rest. This creates a need for the next point.

Every weapon should have a purpose somewhere Maces vs low crush defense, warhammers vs medium, 2hs vs high. Repeat with daggers, longswords, spears for stab and claws, scimitars, and battleaxes for slash. Remove unnecessary weaponry, such as spears and short swords. Find a use for halberd's extra range, since it's a really cool effect and it's a shame they suck so much.

Combine certain skills there is no need for mining, woodcutting, fishing, and farming. A simple gatherer skill would make everything simpler. It'd have to be balanced it so each aspect has a purpose, you don't want people never mining anything because it's bad xp.

Collapse processing skills It takes way too long to reach the level required to smith a rune plate. Why should you need 99 smithing to make a lvl 40 platebody? 40 smithing should unlock all rune equipment. This creates room for life-point boosting armor, weapon/armor add-ons, etc. The sky's the limit.

Fix soaking Currently, you don't need defensive armor for anything because armor only affects accuracy. Maybe if armor cut damage taken by a percent, there'd be more of an incentive to use it. Also, cut that "minimum of 200 damage" crap. The soak should affect all hits.

I agree 25 skills is a lot/too much, but imo farming is quite different than the others anyway :P.

Processing skills need to be adjusted to the tiers I mentioned earlier, so you can make the basic equipment from tier 0 through 10. And you can make a second set of basic equipment obtained through monster hunting. High-end equipment for each tier would be quest/minigame-unlocked or dungeoneering-based, or dropped by monsters you couldn't realistically defeat at that tier (so higher level mhers can equip lower).

I'd make woodcutting, mining etc. a way to train strength/agility as well. Making melee dependant on attack (renamed to melee?), ranged/magic on themselves of course. That way you sort of equalize the combat styles. You can also merge strength+agility as they are extremely close anyway, but I wouldn't add hp (maybe you can give some slight collateral hp xp gain for endurance-based agility courses or w/e).

Woodcutting/mining and smithing/crafting/fletching/construction can be merged too (that one crafts skill would be massively important though). Woodcutting and mining are different but both mostly involve swinging things at big things to make smaller things (you could even eliminate them and make them 100% strength-dependant). Farming is quite different because it's a lot less physical and a lot more based on theory (what plants need what compost/soil etc.) so I'd like to see a more elaborate system of different plants and composts (and plant cures and soil types, while we're at it). But you could add herblore to farming, Legends Quest even uses herblore instead of farming (because it's that old :P).

Cooking/firemaking can be merged too. Runecrafting, magic and summoning have a ton of overlap but I don't think you can merge them. Summoning points obviously need the 10x multiplier that prayer/hp get.

I'd like to see prayer being less 'dump money > afk altar' and more about actual mhing. Maybe increase the xp from bones to be equal to slayer xp gained if you immediately/quickly bury the bone (requires about 1000 different types of bone but ok), and reduce the xp multiplier from altars/ecto by 100-200%. I'd also like to see prayer-based spells or familiars even, as well as summoning-based spells and prayers (auras can become spirits summoned into your body rather than externally as a familiars, yes?).

Fishing+hunter is a good combo as well imo.

Looking at smith/craft/fletch/con, that looks waaay too broad. I'd be in favour of splitting it in a fine arts kind of skill and a more building/large works skill. You could even require both to make better equipment, allowing people to sell 'crude' armour to be worked into finished.

That leaves us at: melee, ranged, magic, hp, prayer, summoning and defence combat-wise. One or two general crafts skills, slayer, dungeoneering, one cooking skill, hunter+fishing, one gathering skill, runecrafting, plants+herbs, agility+strength. Thieving doesn't really fit with anything as it's much finer motorics than agility but also totally different from fine arts or hunter traps or w/e. 18 skills only :P.

@Fix soaking: someone made a point on the thread about the release of soak, iirc, which was basically: armour stops things, then at a certain point it just breaks and lets everything through. E.g. soak should block all or a lot of damage up to a certain point and (nearly) nothing after that. Which I agree with, hence my reverse soak system.

Lp boosts would make armour much more attractive anyway.

Making no more 7 tick weapons would help a lot too, lol. 4-5-6 tick for low-med-high def sounds about right, you can use maul instead of 2h as well for crush (mace-hammer-maul/dagger-longsword-spear/scimitar-battleaxe-2h sword/shortbow-longbow-crossbow/wand-staff-2h staff, the last high-def option is two-handed each time except for ranged). Halberds and polearms in general would be awesome, you can make a long hammer/axe/spear roughly equal to the high def option, and a sighted crossbow for ranged + some staff for mage. The only thing you'd want to be fighting with a long-ranged weapon has so much power that a low-def weapon doesn't cut it imo (corp/Zilyana/Graardor and stuff).

Short-range high-dps magic would be nice too imo, just fire surge 4 tick at 4 squares with a wand, regular 5 tick at 8 squares with a staff, 6 tick at 12 squares with a 2h staff (with appropriate magic strength boosts of course).

Part of the any summoning rework should include summoning you back to rs at will.

witchynosaur.png

Armadyl Drops : 4 Hilts; 3 Chestplates; 2 Chainskirts; 1 Helmet; 1 Buckler; 2 Shard 1; 2 Shard 2; 1 Shard 3

Nex : 1 Zaryte Bow

Kalphite King : 1 Drygore Rapier ; 1 Drygore Longsword : 1 Drygore Offhand Rapier : 1 Drygore Offhand Longsword

I like the idea of having different ranges for magic. Wands would be short range (like within melee distance) but have like a 35% damage boost, staves would be med range and be 10-25% like we have now. You could also introduce a new weapon for long range, it'd be inaccurate, but could hit more than one enemy. You could do the same with range, just make knives short range, crossbows med range, and bows longrange.

Also, find a use for javelins and thrownaxes. They are so useless >.>

I've also been thinking about a system where you can control your familiar like you control your character. You could do like alt+left click to move your familiar. This would make them a lot more interactive and probably less annoying to use.

Crossbows actually fire further, slower and with more power than longbows (the way they are used in RS), so I put them at the longest range/highest defence. Longbows as used by the English in the Hundred Years war were en-masse volley weapons, as opposed to crossbows as direct-fire weapons (French) which may have led to people thinking longbows fire further. But originally, longbows were used to fire straight (by the Welsh iirc), and on your own there's basically no reason to try a volley :razz:. Anyways... yeah, different ranges would be good.

Javelins and throwaxes can just be high-damage slower varities of throwing knives.

You'd get a system where each weapon has 2 properties to consider: range and accuracy/speed tradeoff. You have three stages of defence a weapon is effective on (roughly), being shortbow - longbow - crossbow with ranges 8, 10, 12 or something, and two ranges, long (previous) and short: knives/darts - axes - javelins with 4, 5, 6 range. E.g. weapons suited to higher defence have longer range (and lower speed). You could also make short-range weapons for use against high defence but that's not very necessary imo (maybe a fun slayer drop :P). Thrown weapons are also usable with a shield which can make them attractive, especially for a boss like Armadyl where range isn't useful but defence is.

Rapid mode kind of has to go, for ranged, as there's really no reason to not use it ever in the history of the universe, plus it's terribly unbalancing for darts compared to crossbows. Just defensive and offensive fighting for each style, giving appropriate xp, maybe an in-between-point with 2/3rds combat style xp and 1/3rds defence xp.

Slayer in general has the power to turn stuff around, making fast, low-damage weapons with high accuracy, or slow, inaccurate weapons with high dps.

Some interesting ideas thrown around here.

However, all I want is the same thing I've always been asking for: player exclusive benefits. I want a unique advantage for having a skill at X level that does not involve making money (fishing/mining) or something that I can just simply buy (flasks, cooked food, runes, etc). Summoning, high level herblore, and magic are all reallly good examples of skills I think are in a good place in this regard while FM and fletching are pretty much at the bottom (though with the HP boost, FM is probably higher than fletching).

They need to also try and make the skills less boring to train and create incentives for people to actively grind the skill. This might alleviate the bot situation.

Definitely. Quests are supposed to take care of that but their level requirements never reach high enough. If certain areas of the game required more levels (à la polypore dungeon, resource dungeons, even woodcutting requirements for the Brimhaven dungeon!) that'd be a good start.

Less boring means more random and more apm imo. Combat is interesting because you need to change input based on output. For skills like cooking, you don't need game output, just a timer. On the other hand failing to smith an item would be pretty annoying XD. I also think making lots of quests and minigames providing boosts is the way to go. E.g. balance each skill to be 200-300 hours of pure grind individually, but the fastest way to comp cape requires only 1800 hours (with 18 skills).

hello!

Why hello, does you still play?

What about the obby sword and the berserker necklace?

What about the obby sword and the berserker necklace?

I updated the spreadsheet to include it. It's the best vs low defense (and presumably tzhaar holding the obby sword cuz of the 30% attack multiplier). It quickly becomes much worse once you add a bit of defense.

nah, I don't at the moment, combat update looks like it will just shaft my account anyway so I don't think I'd be coming back for that.

Yourself?

enaidlool.png

If you quote me please be sure to note that I'm extremely mad.

Naw I quit at buyable spins, now playing random games :P. And sometimes making up suggestions for RS (or stealing them from other people :P).

For skills like cooking, you don't need game output, just a timer. On the other hand failing to smith an item would be pretty annoying XD. I also think making lots of quests and minigames providing boosts is the way to go.

I think they should do something like Artisan's workshop for every grindey skill ie Have some form of activity that offers greatly increased XP but actual attention (so ceremonial swords if they actually offered more XP) and then keep AFK methods for people who want to do that.

Main issue is of course coming up with ideas and also botting.