Andrew sells Jagex.

Sir_Devlish

From what I know of Andrew-- including what he said at the end of this stupid lawsuit threat story I seem bent to keep repeating-- is that he is not a suit, not an exec.

I mean, that's really what he said, that he'd rather be deep in the technical aspects, doing the coding, than doing management sort of stuff. I'm paraphrasing, but if he meant it sincerely, I don't doubt that he quickly lost interest in being on the board. Paul was a little more into the PR but from what little I remember of his involvement, I'm guessing he withdrew for somewhat similar reasons. Never read anything from Constant, so I have no idea about him.

Fen Research is R & D -- y'know, Research and Development, and as relatively young as Andrew is (five years younger than me, anyways... do the math), I really do think he decided to pour himself into something more interesting now that Jagex is much bigger, and of course, when companies get big... so does the management. No, I'm not surprised, and the cries of abandonment and selling-out seems overblown to me.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But how much faith would people have in Microsoft if Bill Gates sold off all (not some, all) of his shares? None. The company would fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Now that's a bold claim.

Jagex was a sort of 1-hit wonder with Runescape, and now they're just hanging on to what they made. Funorb, WoL, and MechScape have been flops, and future ventures don't seem much more hopeful. It's a much more volatile company, and the gaming market itself is, likewise, much more volatile.

Can I have your pc (along with your xbox) when Bill Gates sells off his stock?

lalalasig2.png

they are overblown, rs still has more years of life in it than most are crediting it for. most mmo's have had the stuff we're just now seeing being introduced into rs, for years. the game will do fine, the money will allow for some growth, some

i dont deny the game still is on the decline, moreso than ever though

So I was using Steve Jobs as an analogy earlier - how he never quit Apple - well LOL today he did resign as CEO - with a big difference from Andrew - he's still sitting tight on the board of directors with lots of control. And AAPL shares? Pretty much just fine with a tiny dip. Oh Andrew...what did you do?

@Wessan - haven't watched that thing for a while - guess I'll try to catch up.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Jobs quit for health issues. Definitely no loss of confidence by the shareholders to be expected from that aside that Apple lose a valuable manager.

langerkiller.png

Follow the progress of top players and my weekly updates here: 200M in all Skills

Latest Milestones Chart update : page 602

Latest top 15 update : page 602

6 slowest skills chart : page 563

Jagex are just really bad at what they do. They can't please their players, they can't make money. They fail in any aspect as an entertainment company.

It seems like now it's just a bunch of short term investors that plan on squeezing as much money out of the game before they drop it on it's head. Expect jagex publically selling gold, levels or useful untradables within the year, and for that money to have been a waste in a year or two after that when it's dead.

CNqWHdA.jpg

You could paint the re-introduction of free trade and the (maybe deliberate) failure to deal with RWT, as maybe part of a plan to move to the item/currency buy model popular in several other games with free play.

I guess the money man will be doing the sums, would players stomach official gold selling, as well as or instead of membership, and could they get more money from selling resources than from memberships.

After all, players must be BUYING gold, or the bot problem would not exist

Jagex are just really bad at what they do. They can't please their players, they can't make money. They fail in any aspect as an entertainment company.

No one can please all "everyone", including an entire player base.

They can't make money [citation needed]

[bleep] OFF HOW ARE U SO [bleep]ING LUCKY U PIECE OF [bleep]ING SHIT [bleep] [bleep] [wagon] MUNCHER

The mysterious Fen Research has surfaced on Facebook with a message from Andrew himself...

http://www.facebook.com/fenresearch

Hi, if you don't already know Fen Research is my new company. We are working on a brand new, unique, online games product. More details to follow. I will be adding some pictures and details throughout the day. If you want to be kept informed about what we are creating, and when we finally launch something, the easiest way is to simply 'like' this page :) I'll try and keep it not too spammy.

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

i wonder what gold prices are at

1m is barely 50 cents. Even cheaper when you buy in bulk.

It seems like now it's just a bunch of short term investors that plan on squeezing as much money out of the game before they drop it on it's head. Expect jagex publically selling gold, levels or useful untradables within the year, and for that money to have been a waste in a year or two after that when it's dead.

Won't happen. As much as I'm dubious of Jagex, they will never sink that low into generating their own gold to sell it and [bleep] up the game even more.

Using tactics like that is just playing with fire.

Well, RWT is so bad now that I literally searched my local craigslist and found people selling gold ($0.60/mil) - and a partyhat - for $500 IRL money.

I mean...FFS....yeah.

In other news,

Andrew's Fen Research facebook page now has 130 like...LOL

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

After all, players must be BUYING gold, or the bot problem would not exist

And yet they won't claim a lick of responsibility nor admit that they are indeed contributing to the problem.

The player community is playing the blame game pretty hardcore... and it has been doing so for years now. I think it should stop-- but I don't think I've got any momentum.

• 2 weeks later...

Fen Research has apparently celebrated its 1 year anniversary. And yet...all we have is a crap facebook page and a even crappier website. Andrew has been hiring a few coders here and there. I wonder what is he making?

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

TBH, Andrew definitely need to be blamed for at least part of this whole mess. He is the iconic image of RS, Jagex, regardless of how many times he actually appear - but just suddenly throwing in the towel? I just don't know what made him do it.... Getting investments is 1 thing, relinquishing the company you made from the ground up to the investors is something else... what made you do it Andrew?

That aside, anyone got anymore info on Fen Research - the new company he founded...? Is it ever going to buy RS back?

wrong! zezima is the iconic image of RS. When he went inactive, RS just went downhill. If someone must be blamed, it must be Zezima.