Jagex Seizes RWT Domain -- 9/02/11

RU_Insane

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the exact point of my article last month Soma. The problem is the way the game works, the symptoms are rampant bots/rwters. I've lost a lot of confidence over the past six months or so. Heck, I'm starting to feel that FT isn't necessary at all, they could just fix the GE to work properly (more responsive update times in response to supply/demand, a more loose limit, less ability for monopolies to influence the market, etc.)

A symbolic victory and little more, I'm afraid.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Still hoping they'll make a group of closed off servers (economy and log ins) where only members can create a new account (kind of like RSC is now). However, if they do it, I hope they hammer the use of bots much harder on those servers. That way, Jagex can still claim bot cash on the majority of servers, but players that would like to start in a fresh economy not impacted by free world and member bots can play RS in a new perspective.

I'm not missing something in this idea am I? It seems that Jagex is not serious about stopping bots on its regular servers anymore.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

It's incredible how no matter how many times it is explained people keep thinking ToS are laws.

You enter a random website. They ask you to accept terms of service. Of course you don't read them and click "Yes". Later you discover the ToS says:

"By clicking yes you accept that you are obligated to jump off to your death on the nearest available bridge within 24 hours."

Oops! Looks like you're going to have to jump off a bridge, after all that is the law. Not.

This is a non-sequitur. No, something ridiculous like jumping off a bridge to your death in 24 hours isn't going to be enforced. In fact, such an agreement wouldn't be legally binding anywhere under any circumstance. It's simply not reasonable. As it is, no one has said that ToS are themselves laws. What's been said is that the ToS is legally binding. Before you create your Runescape account, you agree to abide by Jagex's terms and conditions. This is clearly stated on the website.

Anyway, here are a few cases on the subject. It seems to me that Jagex has some ground to stand on.

Seems to but doesn't -- in the cited cases, and in any of those that were successful, there were two aspects involved:

1. The cases dealt with actual physical data/merchandise/tangible effects; and

2. The defendants were all located within jurisdictions that recognize "Trade-mark rights".

On a side note, interestingly enough, it's fascinating to take reference of this clause from the T.O.S.:

Our rights

If, acting reasonably, we consider that our Terms and Conditions have or may have been breached, or that there has been fraudulent, unlawful or abusive activity, or that it is necessary in order to prevent or stop any harm or damage to us, to any Jagex Product, to other players or the general public, we may Stop (as defined above)[earlier defined as a cancellation] any or all accounts of Jagex Products which we think are connected with the offender subject to such right of appeal as is specified on our website and/or restrict access to or delete virtual currency or anything acquired by means of virtual currency. Such actions may result in loss of membership credit and/or loss of real money paid as part of any item / account trading or other prohibited transaction.

So -- while Jagex reserves the right to "Stop" accounts for any breach of their T.O.S., they don't -- whether because they choose not to or cannot remains to be seen.

nyuseg.png

Still hoping they'll make a group of closed off servers (economy and log ins) where only members can create a new account (kind of like RSC is now). However, if they do it, I hope they hammer the use of bots much harder on those servers. That way, Jagex can still claim bot cash on the majority of servers, but players that would like to start in a fresh economy not impacted by free world and member bots can play RS in a new perspective.

I'm not missing something in this idea am I? It seems that Jagex is not serious about stopping bots on its regular servers anymore.

Just the fact that a new economy would take ages to get started. Most people wouldn't be able to play like they're used to e.g. buying resources way beyond their level (whips, brews, super pots...).

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Just the fact that a new economy would take ages to get started. Most people wouldn't be able to play like they're used to e.g. buying resources way beyond their level (whips, brews, super pots...).

I'd actually love to see this happening. I'm all for a "regular reset" server, where the aim is to get as high as possible in a year (or maybe 2).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

A publicity stunt and nothing more. The actual sellers have a new domain now and 100s of advertisments stating the new domain name, anyone serious about buying could simply google and i'm sure that would bring the new domain name. Not to mention they're just one of thousands of gold sellers. This did nothing.

The debate isn't if jagex CAN stop bots and gold sellers. It's if they WANT to stop them.

Answer: ʇou ǝsɹnoɔ ɟO

CNqWHdA.jpg

It's not even a symbolic victory when the site is still fully active. (and the old address still redirects)

this particular gold site supports probably the largest free bot too - [jagexruleviolation].org.

With this fight, the gold site is probably getting more traffic. In fact, they're giving away gold as 'celebration' of their new domain -.-

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

Guest TrixStar

Actually the game is offered with the rule that you won't RWT. So any RWTer isn't playing the game as it's offered but is taking something else that isn't offered (but available). I think a court would recognize that player-to-player trading (including donations) is one of the core concepts of a MMORPG, and that it would be unreasonable to expect Jagex to remove it from the game. Short of doing that, nothing can be done to fight RWTing directly in-game, so the court would recognize the need to fine or dissolve or w/e the RWT company for systematically breaching the terms of use.

Don't you think there's a reason that every MMORPG has this same issue and it's never gone away? You can buy items, money, or whatever for pretty much every game out there.