Jagex Seizes RWT Domain -- 9/02/11

RU_Insane

This is a week old, but haven't heard any news posted about it yet. Jagex has recently seized the domain of [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation], a well-known real world-trader, on the grounds that the domain name infringes upon the RuneScape trademark due to them being "confusingly similar". Of course, this doesn't actually do anything to even halt the industry a substantial amount. The most the gold-sellers were forced to do was switch their domain name.

Dear customers,

Today we are sad to announce that the [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] domain has been hijacked by Jagex and is most likely going to be replaced with [RWT Site]. We felt to make the whole procedural history known to everyone.

Over last few months we have been dealing with our legal advisor in US in regards to the dispute filed by Jagex at WIPO, with the intention to hijack [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] domain, their only contention is that the term "[Caution: Jagex Rule Violation]" is "Identical or confusingly similar" to their registered trade mark RUNESCAPE, so they want [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] to be transferred to their possession. As we all know, they cannot monopolize the use of generic terms and common words in domain names. Further, generic words or common terms cannot give rise to trade mark rights. However, somehow the Panel stands on their side has fulfilled their attempts to hijack [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] domain.

Why would they do this? Because in the aim to feed their greedy appetite for revenue they want players to spend as much of their life time grinding in game, according to Jagex's contention, the company's "turnover over the period 2002 - 2010 was approximately 171 million pounds", and they are still looking for more by forcing us to spend hours over hours of our life time at our computers repeating their pre-made gaming procedures over and over again boringly, disregarding players’ gaming experience and their human rights of playing the game more flexibly and enjoyably, from the Report Card Contest and Father’s Day event we hosted this May and June, thousands of players and their parents joined in the events and over 90% of them have shown great substantial concerns about the game occupying too much of their child’s daily time, as a result they are always “glued to the computer”, which is definitely negative influence to their school performance, social activities, and even their future career!

Jagex’s money conscious intentions can always be seen in big companies, maybe they should show some respect for all the Gold and Stuff we spend time in game gaining instead of alleging it all belongs to their property, maybe they should never have taken away Free Trade and restricted the freedom of in game trades. Here at [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] we're only offering services that are ancillary and complimentary to the game, and most importantly, we help players enjoy the most fun part of the game whilst save a tremendous amount of their life time from grinding monotonously in repeated game procedures and tasks, of which the time should be spent on studies, homeworks, family and friends gatherings, or anything else in real life, just like the [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] slogan says: have fun in game, save time for life.

Over the past six years [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] has become increasingly popular among millions of players, and has been leading in the field with revolutionary innovations, in recent years especially after the Free Trade return, an increasing number of players have shown overwhelming interests on [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation], with an annual turnover of 6,000 billion to 8,000 billion GP, [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] has undoubtedly become a flagship brand in industry.

We're not going to put up with this kind of allied international extortion, we will lodge an appeal in US court and fight back to protect our deserved rights and legitimate interests! But no matter what happens next, we will be implementing [Caution: Jagex Rule Violation] domain transition to [RWT Site] when it is ready, and we will be much more determined to offer better RS services and much much more giveaways! Stay in touch!

[RWT Site] Marketing Team

I love how they imply it's a human right to buy gold from them :lol:

Also lol'd @ the Father's day thing. Thanks for pointing that out, Blutters.

Thoughts?

RIP RU_Insane. August 3rd, 2005 - November 11th, 2012.
RU_Insane.png

My Stats on Old School RuneScape: 

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support
Check Out My Threads UNRoA.gif

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my response when I first saw it.

BOO FREAKING HOO

%25239.%2BDr.%2BEvil%2B-%2BAustin%2BPowers.png

They're providing a service that breaks in-game rules. They don't care about people spending too much time on the computer' date=' they just want money. They're pissed because their money source is gone. Good on Jagex for taking it down.[/quote']

cam_de_elite.png

from the Report Card Contest and Fathers Day event we hosted this May and June, thousands of players and their parents joined in the events and over 90% of them have shown great substantial concerns about the game occupying too much of their childs daily time, as a result they are always glued to the computer, which is definitely negative influence to their school performance, social activities, and even their future career!

This is the part I think you should've highlighted. Wuddafug?

2dgucz6.png

While I don't support RWT or these gold selling websites, Jagex is going to accomplish nothing from doing this. They will simply change their domain name and continue operating as normal. A minor setback in the grand scheme of things.

floorgazer.png

:-? You'd think they'd be able to hit them for selling property that isn't theirs, unless there's just so many loopholes and ambiguities in that that they have to take this route.

:-? You'd think they'd be able to hit them for selling property that isn't theirs, unless there's just so many loopholes and ambiguities in that that they have to take this route.

That's what I had in mind as well. I'd imagine if it were as easy as that, it would have been done by now though.

floorgazer.png

My thoughts exactly. Jagex can take down YouTube videos for copyright claims, but can't get people selling their property for profit? O_O

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

My thoughts exactly. Jagex can take down YouTube videos for copyright claims, but can't get people selling their property for profit? O_O

Youtube vs an international scale of legal battles.

Youtube: complies with one take down notice, generally not a lot of questions asked

International legal battles: people protecting their livelihood, hydra effect, moneypit in legal fees

You can't really compare the two.

hzvjpwS.gif

Youtube vs an international scale of legal battles.

Youtube: complies with one take down notice, generally not a lot of questions asked

International legal battles: people protecting their livelihood, hydra effect, moneypit in legal fees

You can't really compare the two.

Yeah, the situation here is more complex. Think it's sad Jagex doesn't seem to have more tools available to them to deal with RWT effectively. Unless they're profiting from bots and are purposely letting it continue this way >_>

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Meh what does a domain name cost these days... $8 a year? A minor dent which will be buffed out as the new site works its SEO magic brining it up to the top of results again.

I did lol at the press release from the RWT site though. Utter bullcrap lol.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Meh what does a domain name cost these days... $8 a year? A minor dent which will be buffed out as the new site works its SEO magic brining it up to the top of results again.

I did lol at the press release from the RWT site though. Utter bullcrap lol.

Agreed -_- They act as if they're the valiant warriors taking a stand against corporate tyranny lol

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Don't forget that china, for economic purposes, still refuses to sign copyright treaties. Meaning that it is actually legal to copy in china, and runescape can nothing do against it. (Only against customers who bought it and dont' live in china).

First they came to fishing

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't fishing

Then they came to the yews

and I didn't speak out because I didn't cut yews

Then they came for the ores

and I didn't speak out because I didn't collect ores

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Don't forget that china, for economic purposes, still refuses to sign copyright treaties. Meaning that it is actually legal to copy in china, and runescape can nothing do against it. (Only against customers whocbought it and dont' live in china).

Nice observation, I hadn't thought of that.

floorgazer.png

Why do they continue to use .com domains knowing they can be siezed? Why not operate from a chinese registry or some other country or use the serbian nic? gold.in.rs?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

First I'd like to say, they already have the back up domain ready. They have had their customers aware of this dispute between them and Jagex for ages. Not only that, but Jagex has not yet won the case. Their customers know that as soon, if at all, Jagex takes control of the domain, which domain the company will change to. It will not halt that company for more then 10 minutes.

Secondly, the company isn't selling property that isn't theirs. They're selling their time and their resources that it took to collect the gold and items. You're technically hiring them and their resources to play RuneScape. Hell, until eBay didn't want it, people could say, "Selling funny joke - Free RuneScape account included!" Loophole.

This won't phase G4RS at all.

09144a99bb.png

First I'd like to say, they already have the back up domain ready. They have had their customers aware of this dispute between them and Jagex for ages. Not only that, but Jagex has not yet won the case. Their customers know that as soon, if at all, Jagex takes control of the domain, which domain the company will change to. It will not halt that company for more then 10 minutes.

Secondly, the company isn't selling property that isn't theirs. They're selling their time and their resources that it took to collect the gold and items. You're technically hiring them and their resources to play RuneScape. Hell, until eBay didn't want it, people could say, "Selling funny joke - Free RuneScape account included!" Loophole.

I figured there'd be some loophole like that >_>

RU_Insane.png

RU_Insane.png
O4zgH.png
Reform Customer Support

Well, I'm no lawyer, but I don't see your point. If you were hiring them to train your account or for a bot, you could say that...but account and all of its items are property to Jagex, no matter how much time you put into that. You're selling the account or the gold, you're selling Jagex's property. And that's it.

I still don't see why Jagex bothers to sue for copyright infringement regarding the domain name - it's worse than useless. They have a bad chance of winning, in any case it will cost them money for lawyers etc., and the RWTers can just switch to another domain which increases their reputation as they can claim "Jagex can't touch us" basically.

Well, I'm no lawyer, but I don't see your point. If you were hiring them to train your account or for a bot, you could say that...but account and all of its items are property to Jagex, no matter how much time you put into that. You're selling the account or the gold, you're selling Jagex's property. And that's it.

I still don't see why Jagex bothers to sue for copyright infringement regarding the domain name - it's worse than useless. They have a bad chance of winning, in any case it will cost them money for lawyers etc., and the RWTers can just switch to another domain which increases their reputation as they can claim "Jagex can't touch us" basically.

No, Jagex is "claiming" that that electronic information belongs to them. You as a player have agreed to it. It's between you and Jagex and the courts don't get involved. In fact, what little footing Jagex had it got rid of with the return of real world trading. To take a real world trading company to court over actual real world trading, Jagex would have to admit that it has the ability to completely stop it (introducing zero trade between players) but refuses to do so. In fact, it went and made it even easier to real world trade. But, pretty please, with sugar on top, can you stop these bad people from taking advantage of our desire to make more money cause we don't want to stop it ourselves.

See, the rwt's aren't hacking or circumventing security protocols. They're playing the game as it's offered. Jagex just doesn't like it, but refuses to stop it cause it lacks the technical ability to do it in a way that'll not destroy it's user base. It's like me moaning about people robbing my house, but I refuse to lock the door cause I might lose a customer. No, it's worse that that, it's putting all my property on my front yard then moaning to the cops if somebody walks off with something cause I'm too lazy to watch from the porch.

All that said, it is Jagex's property. If they remove your stuff cause you're not playing like they want you to, then don't complain or claim just status.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

Actually the game is offered with the rule that you won't RWT. So any RWTer isn't playing the game as it's offered but is taking something else that isn't offered (but available). I think a court would recognize that player-to-player trading (including donations) is one of the core concepts of a MMORPG, and that it would be unreasonable to expect Jagex to remove it from the game. Short of doing that, nothing can be done to fight RWTing directly in-game, so the court would recognize the need to fine or dissolve or w/e the RWT company for systematically breaching the terms of use.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

It's funny how the RWT site claims to be upholding justice and whatnot by freeing up their players' times and schedule so they can focus on life more. Last time I checked when someone invests in a hobby, they tend to do it over and over. I don't just buy a beater car and buy a single part to fix it. It would take a lot more effort, money, and resources to do so. If these people are constantly buying rs gold, in essence are they not controlled by the game?

Little Timmy may play 8 hours a day but if Johnny work 8 hours and spends his paycheck on rsgold, what is the difference?

soulthresher.png