F2p Ranged training?

Dusk Souls

I got bored of training melee combat so I decided to start training ranged, as of now I am level 7 ranged using a bog standard longbow on the chicken pen near lumbridge. I am sure there are better spots or perhaps another more efficient way to do it; but I don't know... so suggestions?

Dusk%20Soul.png

I did try Minotaurs at first; but I couldn't hurt them reliably... I spend around 5 minutes on one, right now I just reached level 11 so I am going to try it again though.

Dusk%20Soul.png

Shortbow on rapid with steel or mithril arrows is the best.

If you're poor, use the sling (It's just a little worse than bronze arrows, but 100% free)

1-5 sling

5-20 oak shortbow - steel arrows

20-30 willow shortbow - mithril arrows

30+ maple shortbow - mithril arrows

Killing barbarians in the barbarian pub is good xp, and you never take any damage as you hide behind tables.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I was trying with minotaurs cause they usually drop iron arrows and there is a really neat safespot in the stronghold of security so I can refresh my supplies almost constantly and I can camp them without troubles; but I am going to try the barbarians for a bit and see how I fare against them and I thought they use throwing axes :unsure: .

Dusk%20Soul.png

Minotaurs are ace free training, you can range over fences, so you never get hurt, and they are not aggressive, so as long as you kill any that you hit, you can collect your arrows & any they drop.

Wear range gear, if you're in metal, you won't hit a barn door at ten paces... the F2P "range amulet" is the Accuracy (Imp catcher quest) or the Power.

Take an extra level or two of bows to switch to.

The sling is not that great, a little weaker than a basic shortbow & bronze arrows, but the infinite ammo is an advantage... Kayle's sling is a tiny bit better than the ordinary one

You might as well use adamant arrows since they are not that expensive. Just make sure to pick up the big piles

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

I managed to get a stock of 650 Mith arrows and roughly 500 Iron arrows,(<- This lasted me from 20-30 and I haven't used them all) in the minotaurs.

Why Adamant arrows though? Is the extra damage worth the increased costs? Right now I am only training so I don't have a real source of income at the moment therefore I prefer to spend as little as possible.

Dusk%20Soul.png

Extra damage is always worth it :P!

But really, once you get Ava's devices, you should use the best arrow you can.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

Shortbows are faster xp than crossbows, and if you're f2p you can either pick up your good arrows or use bad arrows. Depends what you can do better.

Supporter of Zaros | Quest Cape owner since 22 may 2010 | No skills below 99 | Total level 2595 | Completionist Cape owner since 17th June 2013 | Suggestions

99 summoning (18th June 2011, previously untrimmed) | 99 farming (14th July 2011) | 99 prayer (8th September 2011) | 99 constitution (10th September 2011) | 99 dungeoneering (15th November 2011)

99 ranged (28th November 2011) | 99 attack, 99 defence, 99 strength (11th December 2011) | 99 slayer (18th December 2011) | 99 magic (22nd December 2011) | 99 construction (16th March 2012)

99 herblore (22nd March 2012) | 99 firemaking (26th March 2012) | 99 cooking (2nd July 2012) | 99 runecrafting (12th March 2012) | 99 crafting (26th August 2012) | 99 agility (19th November 2012)

99 woodcutting (22nd November 2012) | 99 fletching (31st December 2012) | 99 thieving (3rd January 2013) | 99 hunter (11th January 2013) | 99 mining (21st January 2013) | 99 fishing (21st January 2013)

99 smithing (21st January 2013) | 120 dungeoneering (17th June 2013) | 99 divination (24th November 2013)

Tormented demon drops: twenty effigies, nine pairs of claws, two dragon armour slices and one elite clue | Dagannoth king drops: two dragon hatchets, two elite clues, one archer ring and one warrior ring

Glacor drops: four pairs of ragefire boots, one pair of steadfast boots, six effigies, two hundred lots of Armadyl shards, three elite clues | Nex split: Torva boots | Kalphite King split: off-hand drygore mace

30/30 Shattered Heart statues completed | 16/16 Court Cases completed | 25/25 Choc Chimp Ices delivered | 500/500 Vyrewatch burned | 584/584 tasks completed | 4000/4000 chompies hunted

My problem with buying Adamant arrows is the price, I am sure it would be faster xp using them; but the cost when I don't know how I will recover it is making me doubt it.

Dusk%20Soul.png

Addy arrows are not worth using if you're F2P unless you're some sort of mercher, there simply isn't a way to make good money that justifies using them. With the bots dead, maybe f2p will finally get a little more profitable though (Although i imagine addy bars/arrowtips/arrows are also going to shoot up in price too...)

CNqWHdA.jpg

Addy arrows are not worth using if you're F2P unless you're some sort of mercher, there simply isn't a way to make good money that justifies using them. With the bots dead, maybe f2p will finally get a little more profitable though (Although i imagine addy bars/arrowtips/arrows are also going to shoot up in price too...)

Use addy arrows at moss giants on crandor (if you have done part of D'slayer) or edgeville hills, then ice giants and/or karma volcano lessers. Spending an hour getting the money needed for addys is not that hard as long as you pick up the big piles.

pikatips001.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips002.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips003.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips004.pngjjjon123.png

pikatips005.png1,000 F2P Total Level Reached 10/8/10 !

[hide=Guides]Magic & Summoning Profit Spreadsheets! *UPDATES EVERY HOUR* (includes: High alch, Superheat, and Enchanting)

4 BETTER alternatives to flesh crawlers[/hide]

WOT WOT!

☉.☉☂

If you want to afk train on something like fleshies then mithrils work.

Otherwise addys are good if you're paying attention and picking up piles.

You could also be like my friend and do nothing but duel arena to train ranged lolol.

If you are picking up then maybe use miths. But any time saved using a high tier arrow is very much offset because you are wasting time running and picking up piles and drops. There is not much money to be made by killing any monster in f2p, so I would suggest just killing anything which has a barrier in front shooting bronze.(Each improvement in arrow quality adds about 500 more xp/hr)

On top of ice mountain shooting at guards, in the cow pen at craft guild shooting hob goblins, in varrok sewer right after rats shooting skeletons nice fence there, in daemonheim binding a bow and arrows, can try monks, but I think you are too high for them, if you have decent level/defense the red spiders in varrok sewer are great for ranged xp, there is a nice mushroom patch that you can hide behind and no drops to distract.

Iron arrows should be your ultimate choice if you are F2P with a low income. It is half times stronger than the bronze, and only costs 1gp above it.

If you're slightly richer, you can use mithril. They are more than twice as powerful compared to iron, and they cost less than twice the price, making it slightly popular. Meaning for an extra of 8gp per arrow, you are getting more than double the damage.

Stay away from addy arrows if you wish to preserve your bank. They are, imo, way too expensive for that slight ranged strength.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

If you're slightly richer, you can use mithril. They are more than twice as powerful compared to iron, and they cost less than twice the price, making it slightly popular. Meaning for an extra of 8gp per arrow, you are getting more than double the damage.

Mithrils aren't exactly double dmg compared to iron. Remember that yourranged level contributes a large portion to the max hit.

At 99 ranged on rapid and no prayers, bronze arrows do 123 dmg according to Tip.it max hit calc. Mithrils are 148.

So while it's correct to say that you're getting roughly double the ranged strength, it doesn't translate to double dmg.

Iron arrows = +4.225% dps of bronze

Steel arrows = +12.676% dps of bronze

Mithril arrows = +21.127% dps of bronze

Adamant arrows = +33.803% dps of bronze

did i mention i have a spreadsheet for this?

SURPRISE

check out the ammo costs tab

It also gives you an indicator of damage output.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AldEhLOK6ejJdEVFNkhzNHJsbDFSNDhmemhQUnRNTFE&hl=en_US#gid=0

Naaxi.png

Mithrils aren't exactly double dmg compared to iron. Remember that yourranged level contributes a large portion to the max hit.

At 99 ranged on rapid and no prayers, bronze arrows do 123 dmg according to Tip.it max hit calc. Mithrils are 148.

So while it's correct to say that you're getting roughly double the ranged strength, it doesn't translate to double dmg.

Ah. Sorry about that.

zuzmo.png

collio.png

[hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide][hide]

Never gonna give you up.[/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide][/hide]

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12