15-Nov-2011 - Breaking Dicing

Carl

Jagex should be responsible for what happens on their game, not in real life.

In a perfect world filled with rational-thinking people, yes. But if that held true, then an entire community focused around Runescape wouldn't have been shunned and dealt a damaging blow because of the 14-yr old mistakes of the distant site owner.

Fair enough. I didn't like the way the site was shunned afterwards. Community might be a little grandiose term for the 12 people still left at RV. :unsure:

Was Deathknell, but the password recovery never worked for me. So I'm this now. Whatever. Someone get me some damn fried chicken!

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jagex really is in a tough position here.

It will be a long time before they remove every possible method of RNG to break conventional gambling.

After every possible thing is gone (say within the next year or so) lvl 3 boxing accounts will catch on. Especially with the high score update showing all members even if they lvl 34 total lvl

You gain zero combat xp while dueling? they could just add in very small xp gains while dueling to break that :P

It will be a long time before they remove every possible method of RNG to break conventional gambling.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before (probably in big letters), but the only real way to do that would be to go back to trade restrictions of some kind. Interactions with the game are random enough that, with time, so-called "dicers" will permeate into every imaginable random activity and seek to exploit players from it.

I'm actually pleased and a bit confused with this change. On the one hand, it's good that they're [finally] taking a stand against this sort of behavior in the game. On the other, wouldn't they have known that virtual dice and virtual coins would create a virtual gambling ring?

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I'm sure it's been mentioned before (probably in big letters), but the only real way to do that would be to go back to trade restrictions of some kind. Interactions with the game are random enough that, with time, so-called "dicers" will permeate into every imaginable random activity and seek to exploit players from it.

I'm actually pleased and a bit confused with this change. On the one hand, it's good that they're [finally] taking a stand against this sort of behavior in the game. On the other, wouldn't they have known that virtual dice and virtual coins would create a virtual gambling ring?

But at some point convincing people that they have a chance at winning becomes more and more difficult. Especially because with dicing, the host can set the odds of winning, but with dueling the odds are (hopefully) even so there is no "house". Dicers did it because they could make it 55% chance to win for them. This means that over time they always make more money.

Other methods don't draw as many customers.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

But at some point convincing people that they have a chance at winning becomes more and more difficult. Especially because with dicing, the host can set the odds of winning, but with dueling the odds are (hopefully) even so there is no "house". Dicers did it because they could make it 55% chance to win for them. This means that over time they always make more money.

Other methods don't draw as many customers.

This is true. Eventually the "trust" will break down within these groups. But, it won't really stop them from trying in the meantime, especially with updates that add chance to an event occurring.

Good ol' junk trading and merch clans back again.

I dont see how dicing is a big enough problem to justify bringing that back to everyone. If you dont like it dont dice. That said Jagex response to it is a legal one not a moral one.

Well of course not. Dicing wasn't a big enough problem to resort to something so drastic. However I do disagree about the legal response; I genuinely get the feeling that this is them not wanting their game to get notoriety for gambling of that sort.

I would have said any sort, but if you can wager on Conquest games....well...

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

From what I remember, dueling always gave XP. Was this changed recently?

No, it still gives Xp.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...