Tip.It Times - 22nd January 2012

tripsis

Time for a new release of the: >>>Tip.It Times!<<<

EDITORIAL PANEL DISCUSSION THREAD:

This thread is for discussing and debating the week's articles. If you would like to comment on the overall structure or direction of the Editorial Panel, please use the discussion topic in the Website Discussion forum.

I'd like to remind people of the rules pertaining to Times threads:

[hide=Read these rules before posting in this thread]

Rampant flame wars have taken control of virtually every week's times discussion topics. The following guidelines must be followed when posting on this topic. Posts that ignore these guidelines will be removed.

1. You are invited and welcome to express like or dislike on articles and a particular author's writing style. It is not acceptable, however, to flame or personally insult an author. Posts that aren't anything but an attack will be removed from the topic.

2. Spelling and grammar errors can be reported to tripsis by PMing her and they will be fixed promptly. It is not necessary to post them on the discussion topic.

3. Off topic posts that do not discuss the content of that week's articles will be removed. This is not the place to discuss the direction of the times, how much you love or hate the times, etc. Off topic posts will be removed.

By keeping within these guidelines, Times discussion topics will mean more for the Panel and Administration than just a place for flame wars. Flame wars do not provide any useful feedback to the Times, which is mainly what we're aiming for with these topics: feedback.

This policy is effective as of now, November 17, 2010. Any posts prior to the creation of this policy may or may not be removed according to the new guidelines.

[/hide]

When replying please make sure to clarify the article you are replying to! Thanks!

If you spot any typos or mistakes in the article then please PM them to @tripsis :)

Enjoy the articles!

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

- 99 runecrafting - 99 prayer - 125 combat - 95 farming -

- Blog - DeviantART - Book Reviews & Blog

Just read the first one. I'd just like to point out that Prayer is similar in phraseology as Magic or Attack, it's a field of study rather than meaning "someone who prays", unlike Hunter or Slayer. Other than that, I still agree with the idea, it should be "Hunting" and "Slaying".

Oh, and I agree with the rest of the first article. "Hunting" needs an update, because it's got a lot of unrealised potential.

~ W ~

sigzi.png

Oh, and I agree with the rest of the first article. "Hunting" needs an update, because it's got a lot of unrealised potential.

This. It doesn't help that the skill has very little mid or high level content, so a lot of the really unique features get ignored (Notably, tracking). It doesn't help that most of the time, you don't need the thousands of items you get from normal training, or they aren't implemented well enough to make them worth taking (Spiked vambraces! ...Except that RFD gloves exist and are probably easier to get. Barbed harpoons! ...Turned into a joke item because of the toolbelt. Repairing gloves of silence? It's actually cheaper and easier to just make a new pair).

are haircuts really expensive in england? or was the 37 Euros including the bribe to actually get the haircut?

Honestly haircuts in general are quite expensive. I guess it depends where you go though. A haircut for me is about $100 which = £64.

Posted Image

- 99 fletching | 99 thieving | 99 construction | 99 herblore | 99 smithing | 99 woodcutting -

Ouch. My haircuts cost around $15.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Well they are generally more expensive for women I think :lol:

Posted Image

Mine's 6 euroes or free, depending how short I desire it :)

Anywho, as for my own article, the hunting skill isn't the only thing with unrealised potential... If I had more time to write it (mostly my own fault) the article would probably have been better... I therefore apologise in advance if it feels that I've performed sub-par on this one...

But I'm willing to make up for it here in the discussion thread :)

Former Leader of The Tal Shiar Alliance - An Original Tip.it Clan
Member of the Wilderness Guardians and Founder of the Silent Guardians
Founder of The Conclave - A Tip.it Clan institution
Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.
MSSW4 General - Did we kick your ass too?

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

right, I didn't think of that, I guess i'm lingering in the mentality that runescape people are mainly guys. sorry about that.

Diomedus.png

Diomedus.png

War is not about who's right, it's about who's left

right, I didn't think of that, I guess i'm lingering in the mentality that runescape people are mainly guys. sorry about that.

I am male :P I suppose it was just London... and my hair being the length it was of course.

Before:

[hide]IMAG0045.jpg[/hide]

Hairdresser: "So how would you like it?"

His Lordship: "Have you ever seen Prince Caspian?"

Final result:

[hide]IMAG0049.jpg[/hide]

Cuz it's the act of fishing, just like its the act of crafting, smithing, farming, etc, etc...

But if that is all you took away from my article, I definitely need to change the subject for next time ;)

Tip.it Times author (click for all my articles) - When I use the wrong reasons to make the right statement, argue the reason, not the statement.

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
==> No seriously, if you like FREE GP, XP and Dung tokens, as well as Community, Opportunity and above all FUN... <==
CLICK IT!

Tooth creature/platypus > baby dragon/jad. Surprising.

I would prefer even to fail with honor than to win by cheating - Sophocles

php1CLVGLAM.jpg

My haircuts costs about SEK 250 = $35. I am a male though. But really, $100 for a haircut, Tripsis...? You must be crazy. Change your hairdresser, and do it NOW.

OT: I read the first two articles, and I think that they both are well-written. I agree with the first article, that hunter would become much more interesting if Jagex decided to make it more like real-world hunting. Also, a name change would be great!

The second article is good too, indeed mid levels haven't recieved as much updates as the other two level-groups. This is probably because the high-level player group have been raising their voices in the past, complaining about the small amount of updates for them. Jagex listened to them. Now it is time for the mid-level players to do the same thing.

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

The hunter analysis is all fine and good until the P.S. Is it inconsistent? Perhaps. Is that necessarily bad? No. Is it broken? No. Don't "fix" it then.

Anyway... I like how that part of the article seems to have prompted more discussion than the rest of it...

I do also agree that the skill is well varied.

^less discussion tends to mean more agreement...

But so far article vs the PS bit is equally mentioned...

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!

Just read the first one. I'd just like to point out that Prayer is similar in phraseology as Magic or Attack, it's a field of study rather than meaning "someone who prays", unlike Hunter or Slayer. Other than that, I still agree with the idea, it should be "Hunting" and "Slaying".

I agree with the article, but I have to say I prefer "Slayer" and "Prayer". Mostly because the "er" sounds more manly then the "ing".

pere_grin.png

I agree with the article, but I have to say I prefer "Slayer" and "Prayer". Mostly because the "er" sounds more manly then the "ing".

I think it should be Praying and slaying, since that is what you do when you perform the skills. But I don't think Jagex will change the names of the skill now, so many years after their release...

lGxorje.png

Add me if you so wish: SwreeTak

I think it should be Praying and slaying, since that is what you do when you perform the skills. But I don't think Jagex will change the names of the skill now, so many years after their release...

They'll change it if they need to. From Hitpoints to Constitution showed that.

hzvjpwS.gif

I think they should stay the same because we only use "ing" when not having it present would make it sound stupid. I mean, we don't use Attacking, Defending, or...Strengthing?

But we wouldn't say Fish or Cook or Woodcut or Firemake by themselves.

Runecraft sounds pretty cool though, maybe we should change it to that.

(cue jokes about world of runecraft)

8f14270694.jpg

Lol, world of runecraft :)

So, can we please focus the debate on the article, and not the name of the skill? I kind of threw it in there as a little "oh btw", not as the main point of discussion ;)

Check us out!
wildsig3.gif
clanmotif.png
CLICK IT!