a quite clever new scam...

gunshafted

well, i was getting ready to slay in edgeville when this randon comes up to me and asks me a favour:

guy: hey man, du have a whip?

me: yeah i do...

oh, can you help me out?

me: ok...

well, his proposition was for me to folow him into wildy with just my whip, so he can take pictures and post em as killing me... and then said hed give me 400k for complying.

well, i hate pking, so it wouldnt ruin my reputation or anything... but i was scared about losing my whip... and this sounded very much like a scam.

at first i said no, but he persisted, and eventually i thought "how can i posibly lose my whip? im not skulled and only have 1 item...

so i sed ok, shoot.

i ended up following him into level 8 wildy (so he can kill me) and he said i should follow him into level 30 wildy, i argued and was saying why? you can just kill me here cant you? he came up with the lame excuse "itll look more realistic up there" well, my suspiciousness peaked there... but i followed him, into level 32 wildy...

it was then he pulled out a dragon dagger and started stabbing me. yeah, everything was going super, i was at 4 health and poisoned for 6.

he said "thanks so much man! take this!"

he traded and offered me a bass and 4 drag scimmies....

first, i thought the scam was that if i took the scimmies, hed kill me and hed get his 4 scimmies back... so i luckily declined... and the poison took me.

i contacted him and sed meet in edge to give me em

he went beserk then, all like wdf? and oi!

it was then i realised the scam... if i had 4 scimmies and 1 whip... id keep the scimmies over the whip!! :shock:

i called him a scammer and blocked him

so, yeah, watch out for it, ive been playing for 3 years and almost fell for it! i hoped i helped...

siggity siggity shwa

It's not really a scam. They don't lose out on the trade do they?

Nah, they lose out on what happens afterwords :?

eh?

it's a scam, funny part would be if u had had food on you, took the scimmies, drop 1 and use protect item. he woulda loved it :P

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either

a fool or a coward.

Whoever cannot take care of himself without that law

is both.

For a wounded man shall say to his assailant:

"If I live, I will kill you, If I Die, you are forgiven."

Such is the Rule of Honor.

It's not really a scam. They don't lose out on the trade do they?

Nah, they lose out on what happens afterwords :?

eh?

it's a scam, funny part would be if u had had food on you, took the scimmies, drop 1 and use protect item. he woulda loved it :P

cant drop a single noted scim...

wow, thanks for that, i never go into the wild without tele runes and i never go past lvl 20 wild, just to be on the safe side.

thanks for the update anyway. :lol:

tb?

and this scam isnt verry new... check the graveyard...

runeminermb1.gif

^^ click my sig for my lesser ranging guide ^^

jwrm22: 4816th > 99 cooking 100% f2p !1172 total! + 140mil in items.

i dont play anymore... i think rs is ruined

im gonna check the shop price of d sicm compared to whip, i dont think scim would be higher

Oddly.... it is. :?

KwimSigFinal-1.png?t=1304744327

Combat 116+; Total 1900+; All Hard Tasks; (Nearly) All quest points; (Nearly) All skills 60+; An aquatic moose ninja.

Currently: Using 63 hunter to get some of those "Chins", then I'm going to range stuff down. Interruptions of agility when I feel like it, as well.

And lucky enough to get 4 Dragon and 6 Barrow Drops.

[hide]Kwimbob now looks exactly like me in real life except for hair color. Yes, this means I look exactly like the protagonist of that certain anime that my second character, Faye_V is also named after. Yes, I bought a jacket that also looks like his. No in real life I don't have a slain bear to sling over my shoulders. Yes, I'm that skinny even if I no-life it for years in basements. No, I can't shoot a gun. Yes, I can win any other strategic video game you have never played - because I probably have, ahahaha. And yes, I also have brown eyes, yet one of my eyes looks different from the other. And yes, I'm completely oblivious to the [real] world around me as I constantly engineer new solutions to daily problems in my head. When I get hungry, all that isn't food can wait. When I'm sleepy - nothing is of any priority in front of sleep. But at any other time, I never slow down. Never give up. Never Surrender. Makes for a good life.

[hide]YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT.

- See You, Space Cowboy.[/hide][/hide]

I think scim and whip have the same game value, but apparently scims win in a tie. I don't know how the game decides that.

I wouldn't call this a scam. I'm not a pker, but I think it's clever. It's not reportable, anyway. Who could be banned for giving something away?

As for actual scams, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to post about them. Yes, those posts will warn some players about the scam. But it's also likely that a few people will be inspired to use the trick they read about.

kindness.png

As the shop prices for whips are 40k I think Jagex should raise it to atleast 200k to stop scammers continuing with it. Also if you are in that situation and are not skulled, turn on the extra item prayer if the scammer gave you 3 drag scimmies.

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |

im gonna check the shop price of d sicm compared to whip, i dont think scim would be higher

Oddly.... it is. :?

Ancient staff also protects over whip..i was shocked at that when i died and kept my staff :P

sig1zs0.jpg

De_Pk - Level 117 - Banned September 30th '06.

Scim and whip has same shop value (40k), but if you die wielding whip and got scim in ivent you'll lose whip, and vica versa. If you have both in invent it you keep the one closest to top-left corner.Don't know about notes, but if it works that wat you could've put your whip in the top-left corner and traded the scims and get 2/3 for free. :P

well technicly this isn't a scam. not fair but legal. thing is he killed you, and got the prize.

thing is that market price doesn't decide the value of the item for the game itself. there is a lot of expensive stuff that values less than some items that you can buy from shop for reasonable price.

thanks for warning

1500+ total 89 cmb; 1600+ total and under 93 cmb.

02/04/07 reached all skills 60+ under lvl 90 cmb.

07/19/07 reached all skills 70+ at lvl 93 cmb.

Prayer is good for herbs