The Back Room

stevepole

Retech's post

Extended responce:

[hide]

Aka the first hegemony with a mod that wasn't Archi.

Pretty sure you didn't like Dusty's Hegemony either...and given you admitted massive mistakes were made in your own Hegemony(Non-existant trade system, exploits on research, unbalanced to the nth degree (One of the major benefits, though, was no one made massive argument with the mod...*cough*))...and I ended up/always was modding Sere's Hegemony.

Ico's, Dungeonals, Doom's, Hex's, Rocco's, Mather's all died within a few days.

And the original Hegemony didn't have a war system of any type, except someone might eventually quit.

So I am not entirely sure which Hegemony you are refering to?

Or rather a mod without a secure footing, so would have to make choices that were supported by most of the community.

I believe I have suggested several games like that, all of which were widely reviled because nobody trusts everyone else not to screw them over for their own ends.

See Rocco's Hegemony for an example of everyone screwing someone over.

A mod that has no secure footing (aka no backbone) is a terrible idea in and of itself though...They would basically be a figurehead, someone to blame when things went wrong, their job would be looking for a compromise...one that didn't impress anyone.

a computer could easily emulate

Lets point out the flaws in your Hegemony again, shall we =P

A set of computer based laws would need someone to sit down for several days and work through dozens of exploits, strategies and what not...or it would need the whole tavern to come together and design a system...But, at the end of all that, we would be so sick of the game I doubt anyone would play it =P

And of the three memorable mods (Me, you and Dusty) two of them gave up on running the game and haven't modded a game (of Hegemony) since, and one had their spirit broken by the game+external factors...so I doubt anyone will set up the set of computer based laws.

Also, lets look at Civ, EU3 and all the other grand strategy games...All of them have the computer suddenly and inexplicably screwing you over. If you look at the Tavern's experiance of EU3 you will find that people's strategies didn't work out and so they ended up choosing new countries because they had dug themselves such a pit as they couldn't climb out of.

In Hegemony people just give up playing if they have dug a pit they can't climb out of, or blame the mod for arbitrarily changing rules (Though comparatively, Dusty had an NPC country screw you, and I had an NPC country screw you...Mine was decided by the NPCs, Dusty's was decided by the NPCs and one of the PCs...So I don't really see what you are whining about)

[/hide]

On an unrelated note:

I can barely tell any difference between this version and the one I loaded, this afternoon. They'll say that the Saturday patch will be the magic patch, but realistically, unless they have real magic, this game won't be decent for months.

Gotta love the cynicism that £29 buys people. (Sword of Stars 2 review)

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Dusty's Hegemony was one of my favorites. The only thing was at the end, when the Chinese swung across Siberia without any attrition. There was a reason that I only stationed a few hundred soldiers there; I wouldn't even have to fight anything in Siberia if the enviroment would fight them for me. And no, given that time period's constraints with a pre-industrial economy, it would not be possible to ship a hundred thousand troops through Siberia, even if they had jackets on.

Sorry, my punctuation wasn't clear. I mean, I don't think an arbitrary system (aka your troop system) where it is a clear and constant function (input certain values will only give you one output value) that a computer could easily perform instead of a human is such a good idea.

I am referring to the original Hegemony, where the concept of a "mod" was not entirely accepted, so it ended up that it would require consensus from at least a significant part of the community. (I might be getting my events mixed up, but moon slingshot?)

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

The 'mod' is still a subject to acceptance by the rest of the community...if people want to ignore the mod, as Dusty does/did on numerous occassions, then they can.

But, for the most part, most people accept what I say*...Take, for instance, when Russia left and I seized control as the arbiter of succession.

Dusty quit and everyone else agreed with the event because they benefited...as the old saying goes 'It doesn't matter how much slaughtering the Farmer does on the side, the pigs will still vote for the man who fills their trough.'

*Nominally because they agree, not just because I said it.

And yeah, Dusty's was probably my most liked Hegemony...the main issue I had was Uber France, which was partly Dusty, but mostly it was everyone else going 'Lalalalalala' while Doom's economy doubled and tripled. :rolleyes:

Well France was my revolutionary partner in arms. And they would destroy everyone before me, so I was good with that.

Two-player status quo was what I was aiming for.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I think that is what everyone except me and Doom were aiming for.

I was aiming for current status quo.

Doom was aiming at Hegemony.

And pretty much everyone was revolutionary....

That's true, but we had a history of conflict, and I don't know how to read people. Doom, however, does know how to read people. So subsidise her, she deals with you, I spend all my money on income producing technologies (probably could've started like 500 techs to keep going) and industrialise while she conquers.

The way techs worked, mathematically I could match any expansion that Doom had by just teching because there was a generic tech mechanic where there is a certain increase of income, which becomes exponential when we re-invest that money.

And revolution is just a tool used by everybody to justify things. Like what I'm doing now. :P

Stork:

I don't really understand this converting business.

Why not get rid of the back room, and replace it with the game thread idea. Also, if we're going to have discussion about games then could we please keep a log of all suggested game ideas on the front page. The OP would need to be changed and it would be cluttered with meaningless rubbish.

qTLQRuS.png

Stork:

I don't really understand this converting business.

Why not get rid of the back room, and replace it with the game thread idea. Also, if we're going to have discussion about games then could we please keep a log of all suggested game ideas on the front page. The OP would need to be changed and it would be cluttered with meaningless rubbish.

Because some people wanted it that way. I, personally, have no strong feelings one way or the other, so ask those who requested the conversion of the Back Room instead of its deletion and the creation of a new thread.

a70c7.png

I think...in simplest terms...It would say 'This is off-topic discussion, mod, take action.' Or 'Mather, Lei, Stop Posting Your Stuff!'

Not overly sure which...as neither seems likely to work.

Because at the moment, due to incoherant and unexplained operations(creation of the backroom as an off-topic thread inside another board), the Backroom is just a dumping ground...and really, who wants to live next to a dumping ground? I ask you.

I personally favour Stork's idea because people who aren't in the Tavern (aka, Admin, other Mods) aren't going to dismiss our complaints.

The way techs worked, mathematically I could match any expansion that Doom had by just teching because there was a generic tech mechanic where there is a certain increase of income, which becomes exponential when we re-invest that money.

Cept Rev France was getting extra resources left right and center...and would have probably continued to get them...

Where as Rev Russia would have had to reinvest everything to match Rev France...and even then would be at the mercy of Dusty, since Techs are released at his disgression(Given a sizable portion of techs were created by my imagination and sent out by Dusty to everyone else...and when you killed me off I would have probably stopped imagining, thus leaving you spending all your money on pipedreams)...and would have died a death when Doom allied with some conquered countries...Like Prussia, Italy, Austria, England....

I think Rev France got a 200% bonus to income...so all it needed to do was conquer a handful of territories and its income far exceeds yours.

And that income would have probably increased (What with the Dusty Hand of History)

Also Rev Russia would have probably revolted again to get rid of the Czarina...so it was very much placing all your money on one horse, when that horse is carrying a sachel charge, to which one of the other race horse owners has the detonator.

Retech! If you get a chance, come on IRC, I want to discuss a fun character build for PF I had in mind!

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

And no-one else had an opinion on my idea, game only thread, one post with actual information on it, bump when you add something new..

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Archi, I was researching many techs that weren't yours, because your techs didn't require that much money to research.

Basically I thought of one thing (hey, crop rotation) and split it up into twenty different techs to get more stuffz. :P

And no-one else had an opinion on my idea, game only thread, one post with actual information on it, bump when you add something new..

Personally I felt it a good idea but it didn't leave any space open for new ideas or discussion of ideas, it was just 'this is what I like, this is what I suggest' without any sort of compromise. A far better idea would be to suggest ideas and log them, when people request something the idea can come up and be discussed. With your idea things wouldn't really promote production of new game ideas.

Stork, I seriously urge that you create a new thread or remove all of the clutter from the back room. It seems a bit confusing to have all this clutter.

qTLQRuS.png

Wait, what? It's SUPOSED to do that. What I mean is, with that, is that people can make a game idea on the 'archive post' for their person, and then bump the thread. People can still discuss it, but instead of digging through tons of crap to find out whatit is, you just go to the archive post of the person who made the ideaso you can get the gist of it.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Archi, I was researching many techs that weren't yours, because your techs didn't require that much money to research.

Basically I thought of one thing (hey, crop rotation) and split it up into twenty different techs to get more stuffz

Yes...Cept Dusty didn't give you anything for those techs.

And you didn't get more stuff...you just spent more money :rolleyes:

True if anyone thought of anything you probably had a class that covered it...But if no one was thinking of anything then you are pretty much at Dusty's knowledge of historical tech alone...verses his knowledge of Revolutionary France.

I know which side of that balance I would want to be =p

The generic was +5% for a technology, of which I had a few dozen going at a time. It's just that China invaded before I completed any of them.

And I'm also sure that he knows plenty about what happens when anyone invades Russia too.

---

In addition, I was just pooling money, enough to replace my large armies ten times over. My guess for why China decided to invade when it did is that my tech penalty for killing all the nobles was about to end. Of course, that never came to fruition because the Swedes heard what I was saying ooc on the thread and ganked me.

Wait, what? It's SUPOSED to do that. What I mean is, with that, is that people can make a game idea on the 'archive post' for their person, and then bump the thread. People can still discuss it, but instead of digging through tons of crap to find out whatit is, you just go to the archive post of the person who made the ideaso you can get the gist of it.

It would be easier to just keep a log of game ideas on the OP.

qTLQRuS.png

With the topic Earth and Res are discussing. I think that would actually be a great idea. I'm just pulling this off the top of my head, but it could be revised to be more efficient later on.

Explanation of thread

Game type 1

(insert link to someone's post with this game idea)

(repeat with as many links as necessary)

Game type 2

Game type 3

Game type 4

Also, putting a ~work in progress next to them as well if they aren't finished ideas or games. If the game is currently running, I could put a ~*thread link here* next to it instead of work in progress.

I wouldn't mind keeping it updated either. I know the setup for it is pretty basic, but it would work nicely I think.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

So... the consensus seem to be that the Back Room should be turned into and/or replaced with a game ideas thread, and most people seem to be desiring a new thread instead of using this one due to clutter issues.

Is this correct, or have I been misreading people's intent?

a70c7.png

Congratz, Iey! I must say you're the right gal for the job, you're undoubtedly the most mature here.

May I suggest that if this is indeed closed, that we get a thread for community gaming, where we can discuss things such as the Falador Tavern clan and arrange matches in for example TF2.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Congratz, Iey! I must say you're the right gal for the job, you're undoubtedly the most mature here.

I wouldn't say I'm the most mature, but thanks :)

@Stork, it seems that may be so. To be honest, getting rid of this thread and making the new one might make it a little more "neat". To throw that kind of thread idea onto the already existing Back Room would cause more harm than good imo.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png