The Back Room

stevepole

Res, I'm not telling everyone in this topic.

If anyone badly wants to know (and only if they seriously know how to keep their mouths shut with secrets), they may inquire about it over a PM or contact me through my email address.

End of me talkin about this stuff... I've got dress designs to finish.

Lei... http://www.livejournal.com/

All I'm going to say on the matter is to tell your friend, honesty probably is the best option in this regard. Though you should probably take my advice with a grain of salt, seeing as I've only ever (mildly seriously) dated two girls.

LNYvk.png

Yeah, hi, you know, I was going to let the account password reset thing drift by, until I was told to read this topic by a certain somebody who will remain unnamed. I'm also here to say why I have vanished recently. This is Ross_the_Knight, also known as Seraph, signing out.

I'll just summarise it and post some advice for a couple people who have angered and worried me in equal measure.

1) Mather, get some damn perspective about your life.

2) Lei, stop being an emotional black hole and see above.

I have tried being subtle, dear god I have tried, but nothing works and I believe this post is sufficiently precise so as to indicate my departure. I doubt I will be posting in the tavern much, if at all, but if anybody wishes to remain in contact with me, my email is [email protected]. I believe some of you already have it.

So long, farewell, alvederzane, goodbye, au revoir, ciao, see you on the other side, etc, etc.

Mather... It ain't simple as that. You're not the one being called "sexy" every time you're talking to the same person.

Been there, done that... except I wasn't exactly talking to her, she just sat next to me at every opportunity she had.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Once I get home I'll be sure to host the EOA5 flash (as Hussie has permitted people to do since he accidentally caused his readers to crash Newgrounds by straining the servers) and post the link here.

It's awesome beyond comprehension, I could just watch it over and over.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yeah, hi, you know, I was going to let the account password reset thing drift by, until I was told to read this topic by a certain somebody who will remain unnamed. I'm also here to say why I have vanished recently. This is Ross_the_Knight, also known as Seraph, signing out.

I'll just summarise it and post some advice for a couple people who have angered and worried me in equal measure.

1) Mather, get some damn perspective about your life.

2) Lei, stop being an emotional black hole and see above.

I have tried being subtle, dear god I have tried, but nothing works and I believe this post is sufficiently precise so as to indicate my departure. I doubt I will be posting in the tavern much, if at all, but if anybody wishes to remain in contact with me, my email is [email protected]. I believe some of you already have it.

So long, farewell, alvederzane, goodbye, au revoir, ciao, see you on the other side, etc, etc.

This, pretty much.

I'm tired of dealing with Mather and Lei, as much as I am loath to give up on our beloved Tavern it really just... isn't anymore.

I believe everyone's contact information is still on Sere's departing page a little way back, we need to stay in touch because this was a truly great community.

EDIT: Of course, I'll still be attending Wyvren's Pathfinder sessions and checking in for anything interesting.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Did you mean auf wiedersehen?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Of course...the logical thing to do is to just set the auto reminder thingy for new topics and ignore the backroom entirely.

That way, if new games arise, you can be informed.

Oh, and I would like to say 'I told you so'*:

Well my assumption is that your all mature enough to handle this and hopefully I'm not proven wrong. :)

*Also Grim, and Earth Told You So, but did you listen to us? God no.

So, in the historic tradition of Dusty:

[hide]

Can someone please translate whatever message Falador Tavern is trying to convey into something that I might better be able to understand, like Yiddish or that Bushman clicking language? As it stands, I have no idea whether Falador Tavern is seriously claiming that those who disagree with it should be cast into the outer darkness, should be shunned, should starve or if it's simply the case that its dupes fight more for the negative destruction of opposing ideologies than for the positive promotion of their own. First and foremost, it wants all of us to believe that taxpayers are a magic purse that never runs out of gold. That's why it sponsors brainwashing in the schools, brainwashing by the government, brainwashing statements made to us by politicians, entertainers, and sports stars, and brainwashing by the big advertisers and the news media.

I can repeat with undiminished conviction something I said eons ago: Falador Tavern has inadvertently provided us with an instructive example that I find useful in illustrating certain ideas. By preventing us from recognizing the vast and incomparable achievements, contributions, and discoveries that are the product of our culture, Falador Tavern makes it clear that it is an obstreperous, coldhearted caitiff. I use that label only when it's true. If you don't believe it is, then consider that Falador Tavern's fairy tales are eerily similar to those promoted by madmen such as Pol Pot. What's scary, though, is that their extollment of nepotism has been ratcheted up a few notches from anything Pol Pot ever conjured up. Falador Tavern asserts that its debauches are the result of a high-minded urge to do sociological research. That assertion is not only untrue but a conscious lie.

Several things Falador Tavern has said have brought me to the boiling point. The statement of its that made the strongest impression on me, however, was something to the effect of how its cop-outs enhance performance standards, productivity, and competitiveness. Falador Tavern wants nothing less than to pass off all sorts of high-handed and obviously unimaginative stuff on others as a so-called "inner experience". Its lieutenants then wonder, "What's wrong with that?" Well, there's not much to be done with muzzy-headed guttersnipes who can't figure out what's wrong with that, but the rest of us can plainly see that if you think you can escape from Falador Tavern's simple-minded communications, then good-bye and good luck. To the rest of you I suggest that its method (or school, or ideologyit is hard to know exactly what to call it) goes by the name of "Falador Tavern-ism". It is an apolaustic and avowedly twisted philosophy that aims to anesthetize the human spirit.

Falador Tavern has made it known that it fully intends to dissolve the bonds that join individuals to their natural communities. If those words don't scare you, nothing will. If they are not a clear warning, I don't know what could be. Anyone who hasn't been living in a cave with his eyes shut and his ears plugged knows that Falador Tavern possesses no significant intellectual skills whatsoever and has no interest in erudition. Heck, it can't even spell or define "erudition", much less achieve it.

Falador Tavern has been trying for some time to sell the public on a heathenism-based government. Its sales pitch proceeds both pragmatically and emotionally. The pragmatic argument: Anyone who disagrees with Falador Tavern is a potential terrorist. The emotional argument: Poststructuralism provides an easy escape from a life of frustration, unhappiness, desperation, depression, and loneliness. As you can see, neither argument is valid, which should indicate to you that I, hardheaded cynic that I am, cannot believe how many actual, physical, breathing, thinking people have fallen for Falador Tavern's subterfuge. I'm entirely stunned.

To make a long story short, Falador Tavern claims to be supportive of my plan to turn its passive-aggressive, lewd biases to our advantage. Don't trust it, though; it's a wolf in sheep's clothing. Before you know it, it'll attack the fabric of this nation. Not only that, but Falador Tavern not only lies but brags about its lying to its devotees.

Falador Tavern once tried to impose tremendous hardships on tens of thousands of decent, hard-working individuals. If you consider this an exception to the rule then you indubitably don't understand how Falador Tavern operates. I hope, however, that you at least understand that its secret passion is to abridge our basic civil liberties. For shame! Think about that for a minute. Let it sink in. It should soon become clear that Falador Tavern alleges that arriving at a true state of comprehension is too difficult and/or time-consuming. Naturally, this is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Falador Tavern's flimflams are designed to reduce human beings and many other living organisms to engineered products and mere cogs in the social machine. And they're working; they're having the desired effect. Falador Tavern says it is within its legal right to place stumbling blocks in front of those of us who seek value and fulfilment in our personal and professional lives. Whether or not it indeed has such a right, Falador Tavern pompously claims that it is patriotic to destroy the values, methods, and goals of traditional humanistic study. That sort of nonsense impresses many people, unfortunately.

Falador Tavern must sense its own irremediable inferiority. That's why it is so desperate to treat anyone who doesn't agree with it to a torrent of vitriol and vilification; it's the only way for it to distinguish themselves from the herd. It would be a lot nicer, however, if Falador Tavern also realized that it has repeatedly indicated a desire to drain our hope and enthusiasm. Is that the sound of rarefied respectability that Falador Tavern's factotums so frequently attribute to Falador Tavern? The mudslinging blathering of a callow sociopath is more like it. In fact, in Falador Tavern's quest to bar people from partaking in activities that cannot be monitored and controlled it has left no destructive scheme unutilized. If Falador Tavern feels ridiculed by all the attention my letters are bringing it, then that's just too darn bad. Its arrogance has brought this upon itself.

Some people have indicated that Falador Tavern prefers to keep its dastardly agenda hidden behind the cloak of mysticism. I can neither confirm nor deny that statement, but I can say that prudence is no vice. Cowardiceespecially Falador Tavern's odious form of itis. To conclude, Falador Tavern's reinterpretations of historic events use a philosophical device of asking one question, answering an utterly different question, and then applying that answer to the original question.[/hide]

(Bolded for the bits you could probably apply to the Tavern....Falador Tavern could also be replaced with "someone's" name)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPYaInj6GWg

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I most certainly will not leave the Tavern, it is currently the first tab on my bar and it will remain there until I am the last member, which I hope won't happen any time soon.

I will continue to do my best to help anyone here with anything I can.

I will not be playing any DnD but I will play any game that is original or based on our classics as long as as I find the setting interesting and the game itself to be in the spirit of the game it is based on.

I will not be GMing any game due to a somewhat full schedule and being the one here with the most awkward timezone.

For the Homestuck readers, if you have not yet gone about the trouble of downloading or finding a mirror for EoA 5.2 then you may view it here:

http://81.166.107.12/cascade_download/cascade.htm

Just please don't do to me what the massive horde of desperate readers did to Newgrounds...

EDIT:

That moment when I found out that all of my problems with colors and reading small text on this computer has been due to poorly set color adjustment, I had color set to 100% and contrast set somewhere around 70-80%. It's a wonder I've been able to read at alll.

Also nice, now I don't look orange in my avatar, it's in fact very accurate.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Ross... I am not being an emotional black hole. I'm just being me. It's very hard for me not to be me. And I'm also suffering from not being able to have adventure role-plays in awhile.

And I'm still working on DE2. Almost done with it.

Well, if it's really going to come to many of the people who actually use this board to hate it. (hate may be the wrong word, but as it stands, it's not exactly a very likable place). I'd like to put up the idea for the deletion of the Back Room. I think Resistance was right some time ago when he said that this thread is the cause for the Tavern's downfall, and right now it's proving to be the case. So, if anyone shares this feeling about it, I think we should put it up into a poll and vote on it, as the Tavern community. We need to fix this problem, and we need to do it now.

EDIT: As a replacement, we can just use the site's IRC for all off topic discussion, possibly post a sticky up top, with whomever wants to open up an IRC chat then posts the chat name. Yes, we would not all be in it, and we all wouldn't be seeing what others had to say. But I seriously feel that the Back Room is doing more harm than good at the time being.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

I don't count writing depressing messages to eachother, giving advice which would make a situation worse or anything that is really posted here anymore a discussion

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Icu, I know we're all aggravated, but I don't think the name calling is the right way to go about it. (I know it wasn't directly aimed at anyone, but it was implied). And yes, I agree. The Back Room did very well for a while, but then it just lost it's off topic discussion purpose as you said. Also, deleting those posts is a bit unfair to them if ours don't get deleted. I find that the whole Back Room should just be closed to everyone, or better yet, redefine it's purpose to off-topic game discussions only (what is being played, and brainstorming for new games to create).

Mather, I know it's our "off-topic" thread and we all enjoyed it. But as it stands right now, not many of us, if not most of us, are not enjoying it at all.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

But it's not for game discussion, it's for discussion that would be out of place for the Tavern if we weren't a community. Sort of like the last one to post thread on Forum Games.

Icu, if you haven't noticed, Archi was the one to give intentionally shitty advice, not the rest of us. And if you look closely, Lei was the only one who brought up emo shit for herself, most of the time when my emotional health has been in question, I was already in defense at the start, not letting shit be handled to me like a [bleep]ing emo would.

Yes I'm pissed, it's Lei fault, she just never stops trying to do small talk with me whenever I'm already busy. Worst thing is she gets mad when I say I'm busy and tell her to [bleep] off.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

What, no!

What if I suddenly discover my pulsing intellect and rippling muscles has made me a stud, then where will I advertise the fact that I am depressed!

I mean sure I have like 40 guys trying to give me their phone numbers, but its like so much effort to read those little slips of paper, if only there was some sort of a way to post my angst to people I have never met, through the medium of writing, in an atomsphere of roleplayers...

In many ways my highly active sex life makes me very unhappy that I don't get enough sex.

Sometimes I feel the need to talk openly about how I would rape people, how could I do that without the backroom?!?! People need to know about my illicit sex life imaginings!!

I feel down for no explicit reason, and its everyone who reads this' fault! None of you love me enough!!!

HELP PEOPLE ARE BEING WEIRD AND TRYING TO HUG ME OVER THE INTERNET!!

What if my opinions about someone no one here has ever met, or ever likely to met, suddenly become vitally important to anyone here! What then, hmmmm?!!?!?!?!?!?!

[/sarcasm]

Seriously, if you are attending roleplays or something then, by all means, post in the backroom about your issues...you have earned the right...If you are just posting here because, then what right do you have at all?

Well, in my opinion the back room is needed to operate the Tavern reasonably, however The current form of discussion that takes place on it is counter productive. Really what the Back room needs is to have the discussion restricted to only being for polling on the concept of new games to run in the tavern so there is not a need to start up individual threads for seeing if people will play a game, as opposed to a generic Off topic thread which just descends into constant arguing. On the IRC topic, it would certainly work, especially if you register the channel so that it is configured even if everyone leaves the channel.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Wyvren, I love you.

This merits my interest.

Tavern IRC is something we can all get into... Everyone just set KVIRC to open when you turn on the computer and voila. I've been running it several days straight with Ocean of a Problem open, it doesn't really impact computer performance, and it's easy to just chat freely.

Plus it's easier to PM.

From now on, it would probably be best if The Back Room encompassed only discussion relating to Tavern activities, so that everyone can have a record of such things, and we should transition the entirely-community-interaction aspect to an IRC channel. In fact, I'll try to make one now!

RIP Dawngate ;-;

You will need to register your name with the server, then talk to an admin about registering the channel. I would certainly agree to something like this, perhaps there could be a phase to introduce the idea (Aka you can post offtopic here, still, and post there) before we decide if we want to switch over entirely (Leaving the backroom for long time no see people, new games and ect.)

You will need to register your name with the server, then talk to an admin about registering the channel. I would certainly agree to something like this, perhaps there could be a phase to introduce the idea (Aka you can post offtopic here, still, and post there) before we decide if we want to switch over entirely (Leaving the backroom for long time no see people, new games and ect.)

Actually You dont need to discuss it with an admin, nor do you need to discuss it with an IRC Op. All you need to do is put through the request with the ChanServ; Here is a link to a page with the assortment of Chanserv commands, specifically the register command which you need to do first http://www.wyldryde.org/commands/chanserv.php#register

Edit: if you wish I could just configure the IRC channel as I already know how, I would just need a registered nick for Stork to grant him auto op and successor in the channel.

Edited by wyvren2000

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

I think that would work out rather nicely. Afterwards, if it turns out to be a success, Stork could edit in the IRC channel up into the Tavern Rules. Although, I'm sure someone would just tell someone returning to the Tavern here in this thread once they come back from a long leave. Just my 2 cents.

Lqt9R.png

Sounds good. I don't know enough about the whole thing to make it, and there's no reason for me to have jurisdiction other than my ego. :thumbup:

If you could do that, Wyvren, it would be great.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I do however feel this should go up for vote. As the opinions of just a couple of us may not be shared among everyone. I know right off the bat, Mather is against this idea. Resistance may be for or against, etc...I know that you (Nex), me and possibly a few others would be for it. Not sure where archi stands on this matter, but you get my point. :P

Would be best to put it up for a vote, give it a week or two, then decide from there. (though, we can apply the IRC channel right now anyway without changing the purpose of the Back Room)

Lqt9R.png

I do however feel this should go up for vote. As the opinions of just a couple of us may not be shared among everyone. I know right off the bat, Mather is against this idea. Resistance may be for or against, etc...I know that you (Nex), me and possibly a few others would be for it. Not sure where archi stands on this matter, but you get my point. :P

Would be best to put it up for a vote, give it a week or two, then decide from there. (though, we can apply the IRC channel right now anyway without changing the purpose of the Back Room)

I vote we support the planned voting on the vote, should the planning of the vote require a vote. :thumbup:

On a more serious note, I think that we should state clearly what we mean and encode it in one document or another (Aka, we vote and then whatever the decision it is added to the rules, or put in a seperate sticky, since this has almost ended the tavern...and may still do so.)