The Back Room

stevepole

I logged on today to see what the prices of things were. I said [bleep] it after I checked out most of everything. The prices are so god awful, that any of the previous methods I used to use to money make are downright non profitable. I think I've finally given up on that game. lol

Iirc slayer is still profitable, though its been awhile since I've played (I'd also look into raising your summoning to 68 and going to dks)

Slayer really isn't so good anymore. It's great in the long run, of course, and still not a bad way to train combat, but a lot of the special drops are worth a fraction of what they were a few years ago. On the plus side, a lot of the supplies are dirt cheap as well, especially prayer potions.

Yeah. Thanks for the suggestions. Slayer was one of the few things I actually found decent in the game. Though, recent reports say botting has destroyed that too I guess?

@Mather: Thanks for the alch tip, trains my magic up and still produces a profit. Was surprised. I put in 3mil worth to buy @ 9k each. I have the natures already, so that's a plus. (I alched 10 before hand just to make sure there was a profit, then another 90, but I had hit the limit or w/e that was in place)

I think it's just the fact that, back in my day, even before I met Retech and Nex, things like woodcutting, mining, and all that jazz were actually rather profitable. (back before the wild was taken away). And now, it's all gone to shit, so options are pretty limited anymore if you're wanting to train skills AND make a very nice profit in doing so. I remember when herblore used to make money too. T-T

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

There's also possible to make money by mining and woodcutting, woodcutting is slow at best, but if you mine in the Mining outpost or Dondakan's mine, the banking help can make it worth it. The crafting skills are more risky, although byung arrow shafts and feathers and making headless arrows still makes a few gp profit each. Oh, and smelting cannonballs works.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Yeah. Thanks for the suggestions. Slayer was one of the few things I actually found decent in the game. Though, recent reports say botting has destroyed that too I guess?

@Mather: Thanks for the alch tip, trains my magic up and still produces a profit. Was surprised. I put in 3mil worth to buy @ 9k each. I have the natures already, so that's a plus. (I alched 10 before hand just to make sure there was a profit, then another 90, but I had hit the limit or w/e that was in place)

I think it's just the fact that, back in my day, even before I met Retech and Nex, things like woodcutting, mining, and all that jazz were actually rather profitable. (back before the wild was taken away). And now, it's all gone to shit, so options are pretty limited anymore if you're wanting to train skills AND make a very nice profit in doing so. I remember when herblore used to make money too. T-T

Honestly, mage dks is probably an easier way to turn a tidy profit and still get decent mage xp (just get a void mace if you don't have one). For mining, surprisingly granite (at least used to) make a tidy profit if you banked just the larger pieces (its also pretty damned good mining xp). Once you start hitting the higher levels (and have members) you can start using concentrated ores which really speed things up.

LNYvk.png

Would be nice if Runescape released a classic server...

One that basically reset the clock to day 1 and released the old updates over time.

I remember the days when I could play proficently without a wiki page and a 'system'...Would be worth the occassional exploding rock, the sub-par graphics, and getting occassionally assaulted by noobs who insisted they were going to report me...Or spending several hours in a bank shouting 'Hallys for sale!'

As long as they didn't allow you to transfer your old account over, I think it would work well.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Well, my stats are at that point where they're "just high enough to be decent" but "too low to solo my way through anything"

att 80

str 80

def 82

range 91

mage 79

constitution 87

prayer 71

summoning 60

I guess I'm almost there on the summoning, but I'll just be alching for some minor profit while seeing what's good for flipping these days.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

mine are a good 10-20 bellow yours each. Personally I find that hunting anything will 9/10 time never yield the drops I want, no matter how long I stay.

Yeah, the only mob hunting profits I've ever achieved is from soloing the KBD and ranging black dragons. One visage drop, and many many bones/hides. lol.

Lqt9R.png

If I want tedium, I'll farm Forest Covenant hunters in Dark Souls. That, at leasts, gives me tangible benefits and gets me into the groove of combat. :thumbup:

Someone else should buy a PS3 and that game so they can help me beat New Londo and Blighttown. :thumbsup:

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I think I just invented the perfect hand-to-hand kill move: You grab the opponent by the head, thumbs pressing down and backwards against the top, ring and littlefinger pushing foward against the base of the skull. You then yank forward while forcing the head to stay straight and knee them in the throat, causing it to collapse, choking them.

Essentially it's a more lethal version of kneeing someone in the face.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I think I just invented the perfect hand-to-hand kill move: You grab the opponent by the head, thumbs pressing down and backwards against the top, ring and littlefinger pushing foward against the base of the skull. You then yank forward while forcing the head to stay straight and knee them in the throat, causing it to collapse, choking them.

Essentially it's a more lethal version of kneeing someone in the face.

Good luck incorporating that into a working martial art. It would actually be pretty cool if you did, the only problem is you wouldn't really be able to practice it at all.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

You can still practice precision like you usually do in martial arts, by barely touching with the hit then use a dummy for training strength.

Because it's not like knocking someone out or collapsing their lungs (standard chin/solar attacks) would be any more favorable either, even though it's slightly less dangerous.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Wouldn't hitting them in the head work much more effectively?

Humans aren't exactly the most resiliant animals...we are fairly puny in most respects.

As to it being the 'perfect' kill move...Kinda leaves them quite a number of opportunities to attack you:

Both of your arms are extended towards their face, leaving your sides and chest exposed, with your head only partically protected.

You then grasp their head in a specific manner, and hold it rigidly...effectively making you unable to respond while they attack you.

You then hold them in a specific manner, while moving your knee up into their face...Which requires a very long movement...

(Face and head and neck are used interchangably)

Sort of move that would work on TV, or against someone who you could defeat normally, but against someone of a decent skill level would be a very rookie sort of action.

Added to everything else...Killing people though martial arts is neither wise, nor sensible...

Punching them in the neck would be similarly as effective, though would only require 1 hand and no complicated manuevering....

That's why it's at an advantage over most other moves involving grappling, it would only take 1-1.5 seconds to perform. Because you don't just reach out and pull once you've got a good hold, you shoot out your arms, grab hold and retract in one swift movement, which also means that for the majority of the time they have to react, their focus will instinctively be on dodging/getting free from your arms, not on countering.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

That's why it's at an advantage over most other moves involving grappling, it would only take 1-1.5 seconds to perform. Because you don't just reach out and pull once you've got a good hold, you shoot out your arms, grab hold and retract in one swift movement, which also means that for the majority of the time they have to react, their focus will instinctively be on dodging/getting free from your arms, not on countering.

Have you ever heard the term 'knee-jerk reaction?' I'm pretty sure that's relevant here.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Because you don't just reach out and pull once you've got a good hold, you shoot out your arms, grab hold and retract in one swift movement,

Instead of reaching out and pulling once you have a good hold, what you do is your reach out and pull when you have a poor hold.

Yeah...Linguistic seperation doesn't really work, fact is your reach out and grab ahold of their head.

In the first instance you are assuming they are merely standing there, doing nothing, and then you grab them by the head and break their neck.

In the second instance you assume they don't, in one swift movement, whip out their knife and slice from your stomach to your head in a smooth motion.

In the third instance, imagine someone grabs you by the head...first responce? You grab their elbows.

In the forth instance, If you have had any training you know that the knee to the face is likely coming next so instead of elbows, you move your hands to cover your face, and thus protecting the neck.

In the fifth instance...Killing someone through the use of martial arts is fundermentally foolish. The majority of people who you 'need' to kill will carry a weapon. The minority will probably be trying to mug you or something, and you don't 'need' to kill them...indeed killing them will likely send you to jail.

'Well, it happened like this. He came up to me and said 'Give me your wallet' so I grabbed hold of his head and broke his neck.'

If he already had his knife or gun drawn then 1-1.5 seconds is ample time to kill you, and if they don't, why are you killing them? Surely if you know how to kill them then you know how to incapacitate them.

And 'knee to the neck' doesn't really have any capacity to 'knock someone out' it is designed to kill people...so you can't claim you were delivering a measured responce...you set out to kill someone.

In the sixth instance...Assuming the person was attempting to 'get free' Their arms would come up and onto your chest to push you away...blocking the knee. Alternatively their would turn their head and your sloppy hold would come loose.

In the seventh instance, you aren't taking height, weight or any other variables into consideration. You can practice on someone until you can do it fast as possible...you do it on someone half an inch taller and you end up kneeing them in the chin (Potentially still killing them, but not neccessarily).

A heavier person may have greater balance control (odd but true) and thus when you try to move their head they resist more, and the timing in the manauver sees you missing their head entirely.

The entire dynamic of the move is 'Stand still while I kill you.'

I am not saying it CAN'T work, I am saying that it is far from perfect, and has very limited use.

...Knowing how to disarm someone with 1 limb is probably much more useful than knowing how to kill someone using 3 of your 4 limbs...

There is no way to get a poor hold of someone's head apart from grabbing them by the ears, nose or lips.

The block would come as you're reaching out and it would do nothing because the most natural block for the head only covers the face, they won't realize you weren't striking until your hands are behind their head and then all you have to do is to lock them in place at the top back of their skull as you jerk them back and lift your knee, that doesn't take enough time for them to adjust their block or otherwise react.

Knee.gif

You see there? The blocker does not only take a mere 1/200th of a second to react, but also moves his arms considerably faster, yet do you see anything he could've done better without some magical precognition?

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Back + hip muscles > Arms

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I like the fact that he's completely disregarding the person's instinctual reaction to pull back, making your job 3-4 seconds longer, and against someone who knows what they're doing, their instinctual action will be to drop you even faster, without killing you. lol

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, the space between the crucial point of connection that you seek and how big your knee is. I'm sorry, Mather, but that move is just useless in ANY situation.

Lqt9R.png

Retech, you have to be prepared to offer enough resistance, and even then your back will arch considerably, tipping you the rest of the way forward, it's just that that's a bit hard to illustrate in Pivot.

Iey, blocking comes before dodging as an instinct, and then the chance is lost. And the size of the knee is the reason why forcing the head to keep straight is necessary, with the chin out of the way there's room for the knee.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Iey, blocking comes before dodging as an instinct, and then the chance is lost. And the size of the knee is the reason why forcing the head to keep straight is necessary, with the chin out of the way there's room for the knee.

You're not going to get that chance even against the untrained unless they're already on the verge of unconsciousness to begin with.

Lqt9R.png

Project for English class is a 'thirteenth chapter' pseudo-epilogue for Lord of the Flies. I thought I'd take it in a different direction, and consider some of the Fridge Horror from the island.

If you've read the book, here's what I've got after about twenty minutes give or take some time spent looking stuff up:

[hide] The biguns were crying. He hadn't hardly seen them cry before. Especially not the Painted Ones, especially not the boy with red hair.

A small child crouched among the flaming palms and bushes, watching as the procession of boys now headed onto the boat. Straight lines all around, just like there always had been, before the island greeted them. He felt the fire all around him, blinking his owlish eyes against the inferno, and imagined he could feel the light itself dancing on his skin like a living thing.

But this wasn't the safe warmth of the hearths he had once known, not even the wild but inviting heat of the bonfires started by the bigger children. It was a crazed, dangerous creature that he knew would lap him up as soon as the wood fueling it now. Some of the other littluns had already met such a fate, including two friends of his that had been scared from their fruit and ran the wrong way.

But I'm smarter than that, he thought. He respected the awesome power of the blaze, having started a few of his own among the branches and leaves that were once heaped about the yards of his old school. So he walked away, the ubiquitous flames seeming to part before him as the sea might for Noah, letting a curtain of fire and ash fall between him and the rigidity, the order, the doldrums of the uniformed men.[/hide]

If you haven't read/don't remember the book, that probably didn't make much sense to you. In which case, read it, it's only two hundred pages and has a good reason to be considered a classic.

If you have read the book, thoughts or criticisms would do me nothing but good. To clarify a bit, this will be a sort of mini-story following the degeneration of the younger kids and what happens after they're left behind and to their own devices. :)

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Thats amazing. Using stick figures you have managed to disregard several valid points and instead focus on the technical issue that it IS possible.

I know it IS technically possible. That is not the issue. The issue is the technical possibility is very small in the majority of circumstances.

Ultimately, it requires them to be standing there, not doing anything, and you to be standing there, not doing anything...and then you suddenly grab hold of their head (I assume you are actually grabbing hold of their hair...in which case Wigs?) and knee them in the neck.

Killing someone who is unaware, unprepared and unarmed is not difficult...Humans are fragile creatures, our survival relies on the fact that we operate in groups, we have intelligence and we make tools.

All in all, as with numerous other arguments, there is a narrow 'Goldilocks' zone in which you are right.

To you, the Narrow Goldilocks Zone streches as far as the eye can see.

To me, and everyone else, the NGZ is about half an inch in a mile.

Due to me misreading the argument I came up with some satire:

[hide]

ears, nose or lips.

Wax, Snot, Saliva.

Also, small hole, small hole, teeth.

all you have to do is to lock them in place at the top back of their skull

You don't have ears, nose or mouth at the back of the head...Unless Norwegians have some freakish antomy I am unaware of...

So...lets assume that they are standing there. And you are standing there. Within Arms length. Doing nothing. And for no explicable reason you grab hold of the nose on the back of their head and ram your knee into their throat.

Congrats, you have managed to kill an unarmed, undefended and unaware freak.

Why you didn't punch them in the neck is fairly beyond me, but yeah, you have successfully killed someone, well done.

Now...if only there was someway that was useful in a role other than being a serial killer of Norwegians freaks...Ethnic Cleansing perhaps? Maybe the Norwegian Nose on the the back of the head is a more serious problem than I first suspected?

Though I am not sure how applicable it would be cause surely word of your genocidal tendancy would get around pretty fast...You would have to be at some sort of a convention for Norwegian Freaks and then kill them and hide their bodies...which seems very difficult in my opinion.

Though it could be that you gassed the Norwegians with mouths on the back of their head, and bombed the Norwegians with eats on the back of their heads, and your violent video game tendancies has made you try to finish off the last group on hard mode?

Surely the Norwegian Freaks wouldn't fall for the 'Come to the Gassed and Bombed out Convention Center, we promise we won't attempt to kill you.' line.

:rolleyes:

[/hide]