The Back Room

stevepole

Are you kidding me? Scars are hilarious, and badass... too bad most of mine manage to heal somehow...

I miss the one that looked like Australia...

Of course they're not badass if they're self-inflicted and on purpose, but almost all that are gained any other way are.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Are you kidding me? Scars are hilarious, and badass... too bad most of mine manage to heal somehow...

I miss the one that looked like Australia...

Of course they're not badass if they're self-inflicted and on purpose, but almost all that are gained any other way are.

Stop being delusional. Scars aren't funny. Scars that aren't from something like fighting a bear in defense of your child aren't badass. You are not badass. If they heal, they're not exactly scars now are they.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Mather, I think what Nex is trying to convey is how you represent those stories. The way you portray them comes off as something bad (not as in you're posting is bad, but in a manner that makes us worry). If it were something more along the lines of you tripping and falling on your ass, then yes, we'd all share a laugh with you. But I think the point is that what you may find to be laughable is a bit more "extreme" (I put this in quotes as it may not exactly be extreme, but it's not small like my previous example).

EDIT: Also, Nex, calm down please. I know you're frustrated, but we're all currently working on resolving the issue at hand. :)

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

To summerise:

We disagree that what Mather says is relevant, humourous or, in any way, entertaining.

The vote, when it comes, will decide the number of people who agree with Retech/Mather interpretation or Nex/Iey/My interpretation.

So can we just stop kicking the dead donkey.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Er, what is this interpretation that I supposedly have?

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Yeah, I really don't see the need for us having the "tell us your god damned tiny problems" thread that the back room has devolved into. Either get rid of it, or make it into a game discussion thread and have all of the live journal esque posts deleted (seriously, almost no one gives a [bleep] about your current "problems", you might want to talk to an actual psychologist). And lei:

www.livejournal.com

Oh and @Mather, congratulations, by now you are quite a bit more annoying than hex was, if not from quality, then from the god damned quantity of shit you post/complain about.

LNYvk.png

Yes, what's all the hooplah about?

This crusade to stop the complain fest is turning into a complain fest as well.

And I'd rather not be lumped into a certain position (In the poll, I voted for it being changed to a game-discussion thread), especially in the camp espousing the expression of complaints not related to real things like mathematics.

Valid: Crap, this function is not factoring and disappearing nicely! And look, even its derivative is bashy!

Not Valid: Crap, I got all these scars. They are not disappearing nicely! And I can bash everyone because of my musculusness.

Valid: This function that I made looks so sexy.

Not Valid: Too many people are hitting on me because I look so sexy.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I do not particularly want to get tied up into this whole debate, so I shall simply explain my position in this entire mess:

Regardless of what decision we finally come to, I do not expect to leave the tavern Though I also will either way no longer GM new games. I will keep my word though and continue running An Ocean of a Problem until the game dies, however once it dies I will not take up the largely Thankless job of GMing for such an uncompromising group (I dont particularly want to have to explain the not immediately visible aspects of why I view the Tavern as such, Just take me at my word). I would continue to partake in games that I personally find interesting, though due to the recent atmosphere of the Tavern I have branched out to alternative locations to play RPGs.

My personal view is that it is vital to reign in the Back room discussion as it is generally the first thing outsiders of the forum see when considering joining the Tavern, and much of the discussion that has been taking place does not make the Tavern seem to be a good place to play games, and if we get rid of the backroom as a whole whenever people wish to propose new games they will be forced to create a whole seperate thread for that purpose which will simply end up drowning the first page of the tavern in games that never actually managed to take off making it even more unappealing to outsiders.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Why not just keep the back room as it is, but moderate the angsty/'These are my problems' posts?

Speaking as a former moderator...Its very hard to do that.

I mean, from what has been said its unlikely that people will willing stop posting their 'angst/humour'

So it would mean someone subjectively trimming posts, which, as Retech shows (I disagree with his definations) isn't something EVERYONE agrees on.

For me, half the stuff Lei and Mather come out with isn't interesting, but isn't something annoying...where as Grim and Nex seem to be more commonly annoyed by it.

As such Ross seems to feel annoyed that the Tavern doesn't move forwards.

Retech seems to feel annoyed that we are Complaining about Complaining. (Yes we are, we are trying to fix the Complaining so we don't have to Complaining. The solution 'If you didn't Complaining then there would be less Complaining' doesn't help because we don't want 'less' Complaining, we want NO Complaining')

So, altogether, there is a problem on many levels...and since 'pruning' the root of the annoyance isn't going to impress everyone (If you want me back or someone to do this then write to the Admin(Or giving Spork freedom of action), not gonna stop you :rolleyes: ), the idea of reclassifying the backroom as 'Only for Games' might spread out the angst a bit...rather than the focused ball it currently is...and like Wyvern says, the thread, as it is, is just a seething mess...It doesn't give a feeling of warm community or anything like that.

PS. Going to bed

Why not just keep the back room as it is, but moderate the angsty/'These are my problems' posts?

Because, to put it simply, they don't break the rules. They're off-topic things where they belong - in an off-topic thread, annoying to some, fine to others.

However, I think that a problem begins to emerge when there exists no topic to be off from - but that again is an issue of my personal interpretation, and not an issue of a breaking of the rules.

To make things perfectly clear, I am only supposed to use mod powers when a rule-breaking has occurred, with few exceptions.

As for changing the poll to be public, or adding more options, I'll get to doing that, but in doing so I will have to delete all the votes currently cast. I would suggest a vote for whether or not to change the poll, but then I'll fudge that one up somehow, and we'll end up with a poll about changing the poll about changing the poll. In essence, pollception. So I'll just change this one (hopefully for the last @#$@ time) to be public voting. Maybe throw in an 'other' option somewhere.

a70c7.png

I don't really understand this converting business.

Why not get rid of the back room, and replace it with the game thread idea. Also, if we're going to have discussion about games then could we please keep a log of all suggested game ideas on the front page. The OP would need to be changed and it would be cluttered with meaningless rubbish.

E.g

Nexaduro: RPG in 1600's America

Mather: Hegemony with XYZ mechanic

Archimage_A: space-themed game.

And then have all of those link to the quote or even have the suggestion in hide tags.

It would also be nice if we tried to get as many games out as possible.

I ain't no emo, I'm a living parody who's just too [bleep]ing defensive.

The sooner you start laughing every time I get a face full of asphalt or an extremity full of cuts, scratches and bruises the better, just don't mention my emotions and we'll all be as [bleep]ing happy as can be.

Somebody has been watching watchmen.

-

qTLQRuS.png

Res, we have the Back Room because we are a community, not just a bunch of people who happen to stay mostly in the same subforum.

We have this so that we may help eachother, share advice, arrange stuff in non-forum games (such as RuneScape) or just plain talk.

We also already have a thread where we said what we want in a game, it's even stickied I think.

And what the hell is Watchmen? You talking about the comic with Rorschach and those other guys because I've only seen the movie... I found it mediocre at best.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I understand the purpose of the back room but my misunderstanding is why this new thread will need to be a convergence of the back room and not instead just a new thread.

One of the characters in Watchmen made a very similar statement.

qTLQRuS.png

I am only supposed to use mod powers when a rule-breaking has occurred

Reminds me of a cautionary tale...

A baker hasn't extingushed all the embers after a long day of baking, and one of them escapes the grate and soon the building is on fire.

A passing fireman sees the blaze and rushes back to his establishment to inform his superiours.

But when he tells them where it is they ummm and ahhhh, as it is outside of their area, and so they agree to get prepared for a fire that spreads to 'their' patch.

Long story short, three days later 87% of the houses in London were destroyed.

(not entirely sure that is 100% true, but the Great Fire could have been stopped in its infancy had people taken action)

The OP would need to be changed and it would be cluttered with meaningless rubbish.

Never works, have tried it three or four times.

I understand the purpose of the back room

The backroom exists because someone thought it would be a good idea to take all the offtopic discussion that happened on the threads, because the discussion annoyed people in the threads (slightly), and stick it all in one thread....which would annoy people five times as much because it didn't actually deal with the 'these people are annoying these other people' aspect.

:rolleyes:

I am in favour of simply archiving it as a grand disaster and going back to the old system...People got annoyed at each other, but people didn't feel compelled to keep the thread alive for several weeks.

Wait so everyone is just on the IRC now?

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Is this accessible via the tavern's built in irc? Or do I have to download mIRC and do all that info stuff

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

Is this accessible via the tavern's built in irc? Or do I have to download mIRC and do all that info stuff

Just enter

/join #tavern

Edit: personally I dislike the java client as it skips giving some vital information that makes it far more difficult to Use IRC fully and doesn't have the additional features of a standalone client

Edited by wyvren2000

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source