The Back Room

stevepole

It was a good haul, most used gift was a CD of Herb Alpert music, mostly this track:

:grin:

Other gifts of note were Black and White 2 (Complete with advertisement leaflet for The Sims 2 :shock: ), a number of Spooks (British Spy Drama) series box sets, a wide selection of International Politics (*) books, as well as a wide selection of English Language books (How to Read a Word), 'If' a book series of questions for dinner parties (If you had any celebraties hair, who would it be, ect **)

Books on potty inventions (Pigeon Guided Missiles), the Steampunk Bible (Illustrated), Catch 22 (Which has blue gilded pages), Power Without Responsibility: Press, Broadcasting and the Internet in Britain.

And a deceptively small box (About the size of 6 VHS tapes stacked up), containing approximately 136 hours of Star Trek: The Next Generation. V. Excited about that, it has been all I can do to not indulge in a 6 day feast of Star Trek, since I am gonna need stuff to distract me while I am in Wales. Gonna stop talking about that cause I am really feeling the urge to watch them now!

HOWEVER Christmas presents were largely subverted by Nex tempting me to play Terraria with him, resulting in 38 hours being logged in the last 2 weeks. I would strongly recommend to anyone who has played, got bored and given up, to give it another go, and to try to kill the Wall of Flesh...the game changes considerably once you do that.

If not, drop me a line and I will endevour to host for you :grin:

*9780195391206.jpg

**If.png

So yeah, Merry Christmas to all. :grin:

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Cover for the international politics book should've had the Eiffel Tower on the bottom. :P

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

I was wrong, we need the back room back.

THIS GUY RIGHT HERE!

He's speaking sense.

It's a REALLY big shaft.

I didn't catch fire, I used the can of hairspray as a flamethrower and pointed it at my arm.

how are you going to ignore my posts when I'm offering to let you live as my vassal in two weeks time?

I agree with Resistance and ico.

It needs to come back. Just with the added "nobody gives a damn that (blah blah blah suicidal blah blah porcupine blah blah died). Any excess mention of your personal life may lead to a 3 day ban from Tip It Forums"

I'll talk to Stork about it. I'm willing to bring it back with a few minor restrictions, but I'm still a bit doubtful that this would be a positive maneuver.

Also, more feedback from the rest of the Taverners on the matter would be appreciated as well.

"Don't get in my face, don't invade my space. I'll put you in your place.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

My stance is still the same, Having a completely unrestricted thread for discussion will only bring back the really annoying flamewars from the old thread; while it could in theory work with restrictions to keep it atleast remotely on topic, chances are it would constantly be derailing into the exact type of discussion that lead to it being removed in the first place. So to put it simply, I do not support reviving the Backroom, though a more general discussion thread could work if there was a far more focused topic which was enforced.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

In my opinion?

So basically we are locking this thread, archiving it for posterity, and creating a new one with stricter guidelines about random chat, while also recommending the use of IRC for discussion purposes.

http://forum.tip.it/topic/280473-the-back-room/page__view__findpost__p__5072227

The Tavern is not a roleplaying community any more...it is just a community, one constantly at each other's throats.

So, if people want to bring back the Backroom then go ahead.

I would personally just be happy with an offical mailing list...Or a single thread on another board.

I am still on MSN, also Skype and Steam.

Hamachi as well.

And Victoria 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Send me your Skype details if you don't mind.

SWAG

Mayn U wanna be like me but U can't be me cuz U ain't got ma swagga on.

Merry Christmas to all, and I apologize for dropping off the radar for a bit. My family had switched over to comcast (or xfinity as they are now called) broadband for a month or two, and for the first two weeks the internet was down (it should be noted that we have switched back to local dsl) and so I couldn't participate in the games. I apologize for not coming back, I had fallen out of the habit and most all of my classes were giving inordinate amount of homework (especially journalism, that class should be honors) I just didn't have the time (especially when coupled with SAT prep). To get back on topic, I have slightly more time (at least on the weekends) I may be able to participate more fully. I may post a couple more things that I had worked on (and promised) depending upon if I can find them on my laptop.

On a completely different note, if you're looking for a cheap and fun game on steam, I suggest Killing floor, a (possibly) multiplayer zombie survival game by tripwire interactive; Its also 75% off on steam so there's that.

LNYvk.png

Icu, Archi

Are you playing Terraria cracked or legit?

And in response: People should be able to discuss what they like, the problem is that people don't follow peoples hints to move the conversation on (starting a new topic) and just continue talking about it then complain about it after. Admit it, you're all fascinated by gossip.

qTLQRuS.png

I admit I hate gossip.

We seriously need the back room back. The Fireplace is getting filled with off topic stuffs.

I've been thinking it over, and the majority of the Tavern community seems to favor bringing it back, especially those who wanted it gone. (aside from a few) I am still doubtful on whether this will be a positive decision or not, but if I lay a few restrictions down and post them here, I'll let you guys decide if they are fair or not.

1. A new thread, The Back Room ver2.0 will be made. I think it may be best that we leave the old Back Room locked. It has run it's course, and was locked after a lot of "discussion".

2.As far as rules are concerned, posters will have to follow Tip.it rules, etc...But as an addition, and I think a majority of us will agree on this. It is not to be used as a teen angst blog of sorts. (It's alright to say you had a bad day or are going through rough times, but what was going on before was just ridiculous)

3.Concerning games. I feel that The Fireplace is a decent addition to the Tavern, so I think it could help seperate game discussion from off-topic discussion so that those who post ideas won't get overlooked. (Like they did when the Back Room was up)

That's about all as far as restrictions. As a tl;dr, New thread will be made, no teen angst blogging, and game creation discussion will still be held in The Fireplace to prevent overlooked game ideas.

As a side note, I will move all game creation posts that are accidentally posted in The Back Room to The Fireplace. But I ask you don't post them in the Back Room out of laziness.

If everyone is alright with these restrictions, I will go ahead and make the thread, and then follow up by deleting all the off-topic posts that were recently made here in The Fireplace.

I'll only tell you once, I'll never tell you twice. This is me being nice." ~Porcelain and the Tramps

Lqt9R.png

Yeah...the Tavern has a good history of following loosely defined rule systems :rolleyes:

'Teenage Angst' doesn't cover anything and will just start arguments.

For instance:

'I am so annoyed, the game I want costs £5 more than I have'

'OMG, TEENAGE ANGST!'

Really what needs to happen is to simply restore the old thread, with no changes. Its unlikely people (Mather and Lei) will do what they did last time, and its unlikely other people will freakout straight away.

However, if you put rules in then anyone who is feeling angsty can use the rule to attack other people.

Yeah...the Tavern has a good history of following loosely defined rule systems :rolleyes:

'Teenage Angst' doesn't cover anything and will just start arguments.

For instance:

'I am so annoyed, the game I want costs £5 more than I have'

'OMG, TEENAGE ANGST!'

Really what needs to happen is to simply restore the old thread, with no changes. Its unlikely people (Mather and Lei) will do what they did last time, and its unlikely other people will freakout straight away.

However, if you put rules in then anyone who is feeling angsty can use the rule to attack other people.

Well, I do see your point, but two things. First, if we let it go without any restrictions, I think you're right when you say it won't happen again. At least not any time soon. And second, I will not hesitate to delete any post that would be considered an "attack" using the rule like that. Possibly even warn, because for someone to try and do that doesn't belong here and will have their post deleted. The restrictions are in place just to clarify that this is not a blog, and using a past issue as an example. Otherwise, it's highly possible that the Tavern is just going to go through a never ending cycle of what happened before. The restrictions are required unfortunately. And WILL be monitored so that no one can be "attacked".

Lqt9R.png

See, the major contention I have against the general style of moderation on the board...is that moderation should be used preventatively.

And WILL be monitored so that no one can be "attacked".

People will still be attacked (Or they won't and nothing will happen at all, as has been happening with the Fireplace), the only difference is that posters will feel it is their responsibility to flare up against people breaking the rules.

The Moderation Team, or Mod, knows what they find offensive, and that will be removed irregardless.

As you say:

I will not hesitate to delete any post that would be considered an "attack" using the rule like that.

Further, if you are going to 'attack' (in an offical capacity) people who are trying to enforce the rules, then people do not feel inclined to help (even the rule-protected way of reporting offensive material) which sets you up as an Overlord, rather than a Mod. This will not help things in any regard, it just makes the community smaller.

As to the 'never-ending cycle'... It could happen, but anything could happen. The rules you are proposing could lead to a Mod-Poster war (One in which one side is hopelessly outpowered), which has happened before.

Such a war would eventually be won by the Mod (Unless the posters were so tremendously dogged that the Mod(s) lost faith/interest), and then a wasteland would be created (As has been created with the removal of the Backroom).

Naturally there are many factors involved, it is not simply a case of my idea and everyone walks into the sunlit uplands of peace and prosperity, while your idea will lead to death and disaster. Anything could happen.

I simply feel that greater freedom, and self-control, followed by reactive modding if things go wrong, are better than less freedom, punishment and preventative modding.