The Back Room

stevepole

Apparently a masocist as well...

Anywho, due to several domestic issues I am now going to the Island of Wight for the weekend...And unless it rejoins the modern era that will mean no internet. <_<

Toodle Pip.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Never browse mollusks on Wikipedia.

I did and now I want an aquarium with sea slugs.

You see this little [bleep]er here?

220px-Glaucus_atlanticus_1_cropped.jpg

It grows up to three centimeters long and preys on the Portuguese Man o' War.

EDIT: Oi, [bleep] you Tip.It. Why the hell can't we use pictures from Wikipedia?

EDIT2: Not Dropbox either? Well [bleep] you, you piece of shit!

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

So, what, we no longer have forum avatars? The [bleep]?

I don't want the image on my profile as my avatar. Not to mention, I can't just get my old one back, because I created it for Tinypic and didn't have an account to save it to.

Also the new themes are godawful.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

I like it actually. It just seems to be a nicer fit for me. Also apparently I have mine still.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

While the new forum skin appears a bit more modern, I must say I detest most of this update.

A security upgrade to provide a slight upgrade of anonymity at the cost of a wast inconvenience, removal of the dual avatar feature and adding a like button to posts... it's like they're trying to set the target group of the forum to no one.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I may have lost my Jen avatar in the transition. Trying to search for it on my computer.

How does one change the forum skin? I liked the white and bright one from before and I think it moved me back to default.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

It's not very inconvinient, bro. I still have both my avatars. Maybe you hosted them from a temp site, so that when the froum was restructured it couldn't get your avatar back again.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I just found mine off of Google. ... Ohhhh, you mean the site requirements. does it give a list, and can you ask the Mods for a change to allow Dropbox images onto the site?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Even if they included Dropbox and Wikipedia, it'd still be an inconvenience, because what if I to omit any size limitation decided to host my pictures using my computer as the server? Then I'd be using the method they wish to block because it's possible to use it to learn where the people who view the picture live.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

On a separate note:

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Nex, there was a Forum Announcement specifically warning about the removal of Avatars (its built into the IPB update, and developers have no plans of ever bringing back the split photo and avatar as it caused a bunch of issues with inconsistant coding) saying to copy the URL if you don't have the image stored elsewhere.

Mather, The update was more than just a simple set of security upgrades, there were alot of other very important bug fixes such as the fact that the old version was incompatible with the browsers of around a third of all internet users. And the Image site filtering was more intended to stop people from using personally hosted images to get other user's IP addresses which is a tactic some Runescape cheaters use to DDOS other players for profit.

Edit: Also If you ask nicely on the announcement topic about the forum changes MageUK has looked up people's old avatar image urls for them.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Nex, there was a Forum Announcement specifically warning about the removal of Avatars

Almost posted a 'Yet another stream up updates that screw things up' a few days ago, though decided that most people would have read it, also I am trying not to be a ultra-luddite...Sufficing to say it failed.

Mather, The update was more than just a simple set of security upgrades, there were alot of other very important bug fixes such as the fact that the old version was incompatible with the browsers of around a third of all internet users. And the Image site filtering was more intended to stop people from using personally hosted images to get other user's IP addresses which is a tactic some Runescape cheaters use to DDOS other players for profit

I would probably say it has more to do with the growing tide towards centralisation of the Internet to combat the freedom of individuals, because it turns out that some individuals don't work for the betterment of all humanity, and therefore freedom should be quashed to protect freedom.

Its actually rather entertaining really...

Overall I am not too offended by the update. It has added an auto-save function to the posts (how effective it will be remains to be seen). I am not overly enthusastic about the like function, since it reduces conversation to a stream of 'like's...Really it would be nice if certain forums could opt-out of certain updates, but I guess it is far too much work.

Anyway, need to go through the list of functions and fiddle with them.

PS: Its good to see the continuing oppression of post counts continues into the like system. You get the feeling that Tip It is staffed by tired beaucrats who have made it their life's work to stamp out forum shenanigan...That or pathetic princes who resent any mark that might make a person seem on parallel to them.

• Like 3

I think, to add a like to the post, you should have to reply "[forum name] likes this"

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Damn you evolution/internet, I don't want to feel elated when people like my posts -.-

On a related note:

Smilies are now harder to place, as are pictures....Does anyone know how to turn the drag and drop display off?

The other thing I wanted to rail about was that despite them adding a bunch of new features, the smilely menu is still slow to load, and overal none of the problems have really been fixed (save for the security problems which affect almost nobody).

Though now I am questioning whether I am genuinely angry, or whether I am just looking for more likes...

Oh, I also agree with Nex.

• Like 2

Honestly, I don't use Smileys so I like this fine.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Retech likes this

• Like 1

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Are we just going to do jokes on that fora bunch of pages until the novelty wears off?

• Like 2

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Well the admin have shown themselves to ignore legitimate complaints, but instantly, and overzealously, destroy things that can used for fun...Ergo fastest way to get rid the things we don't like is to use them productively...

• Like 3

... Meh. I never really noticed. I don't use the forums enough to do so. Also, Minecraft lava glichyness is ruining my day.

• Like 2

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

And I'm now unofficially accepted into astrotechnology. Was a bit of confusion due to Buskerud county authority managing to send my application to an obsolete email, but after a phone call with the headmaster at Andøy videregående, I've now been personally guaranteed a spot.

• Like 1

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1