The Back Room

stevepole

It would depend on the ipod in question, and if it is possible to open up the case of it (look this up before trying it). If it is look up a tutorial on how to replace volume buttons on your type of ipod. I'm unsure of how it would be done to be honest, as ipods are pressure sealed iirc, and are actually harder to service than iphones.

LNYvk.png

Can't give you much advice...HP Laptops seem designed to overheat...On the other hand I have gamed on a hot summer's day with the fan covered by a sock (By accident) and it didn't shut down for 5 hours(at which point I noticed the sock).

However it seems to suffer year-and-a-bit-ly hard drive flipout so...(specifically it died once, around New Years it deleted something in the registry so needed to reinstall Windows (Now that was fun), and just recently it went for a 'I AM GONNA BE REALLY NOISY WHILE DOING ABSOLUTELY NOTHING', quietened down now.

Getting one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=2243862011

And either screwing it to the base (as my sister has) or simply being slightly careful with it (as I do) is probably the most cost effective solution...It drains a fairly small amount of battery (I think mine went from two and half hours to two hours and twenty minutes) though mine is probably the worst you can get ('Hey that looks cool in the box, oh, wait...It doesn't have anything I thought it did'). They are also suprisingly cheap.

Battery Packs are obviously an option as well (Though a bad one given their size, cost and stuff).

Unless you are always using games of yor I recommend 64 bit. I would warn you that laptops seem to work terribly with more than 4 gigabytes of RAM...My first one wiped itself after 2 weeks, second one did the same in 3 weeks, later found out that if you move it after you have been using it (Can move it while using it, and move it after it has cooled down, but not for an hour after you sleep it or shut it down) then it goes to hell. That was two years ago but still.

Anyway. I am on a two year old HP (4 GB) with AMD Turion x2 (2.2 GHz) and ATI Radeon graphics card, under Vista. It plays Skyrim for well over 24 hours without a problem, as with Mass Effect. Sometimes it will run the Extreme Graphics packs fine, other times it will struggle to run Medium.

It runs minecraft fine, up to 3 players, though nosedives after that.

I have spent literally no time optimising it, so is frequently running Steam, Orgin, Dropbox, Media Player, Skype, AIM and Yahoo Messanger (VERY occassionally), USB Wireless software, MSN, Open Office, KVirc, AVG and MS Security Essentials, while running games and such.

For some reason everytime I have had to reinstall the BIOS its heat output has dropped dramatically for several weeks, before suddenly restoring to its old levels. (Discovered that after the first meltdown where a full size desk fan was required to keep it from overheating during the installation.) It doesn't have any noticable effect on performance though so IDK.

I think it cost somewhere in the region of £250, which is like $400? So either I am wasting your time because you want an all singing-all dancing laptop (At which point I ask why? Paying five times the price to see individual chains in chainmail on mooks seems like a waste), or American prices are insane.

Oh, if you like this advice please send money =P (jk, I am happy with my computer, and short of buying a £700 Desktop/this exploding I am not gonna be changing in the near future)

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

I have my computer back. I am so happy. but now I've got to monkey around with steam to free up hard drice space, and oh god this will be such a bugger.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

I find it funny how my youngest brother tries to hurt me everytime I take away the iPad he's not supposed to be playing on.

You find his suffering funny?

I don't know how that, in any way can be funny! You're obviously causing him suffering by taking it away and then laughing at that.

Wow.

qTLQRuS.png

I find it funny how my youngest brother tries to hurt me everytime I take away the iPad he's not supposed to be playing on.

You find his suffering funny?

I don't know how that, in any way can be funny! You're obviously causing him suffering by taking it away and then laughing at that.

Wow.

Plz leav

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Nef, I don't understand how this can be Stockholmes syndrome. I think you're being stupid apurpose, with this.

Edit: And man, my password worked like a charm. Over 7 months of not being able to check on it and my steam account is still purring right along, unhacked.

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

"[people who suffer from Stockholm syndrome] essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness."

Obviously you're seeing having your computer given back to you as a reward when in fact it shouldn't really be taken from you in the first place.

qTLQRuS.png

"[people who suffer from Stockholm syndrome] essentially mistake a lack of abuse from their captors for an act of kindness."

Obviously you're seeing having your computer given back to you as a reward when in fact it shouldn't really be taken from you in the first place.

While that is unusually clever, we don't know that it didn't deserve to be confiscated.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Actually, temporary confiscation of an object or service is not a fit act of punishment in any event, as it is neither corrective, unomitable or reminiscent of any punishment carried out by society.

Taking something away from your kid doesn't teach them why they shouldn't do something, it teaches them that the parent carrying it out is a douchebag (which is true since they chose this form of punishment) and it encourages them to search out ways to circumvent it.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Actually, temporary confiscation of an object or service is not a fit act of punishment in any event, as it is neither corrective, unomitable or reminiscent of any punishment carried out by society.

Taking something away from your kid doesn't teach them why they shouldn't do something, it teaches them that the parent carrying it out is a douchebag (which is true since they chose this form of punishment) and it encourages them to search out ways to circumvent it.

Were you raised by Mother Teresa or something?

I feel like that would've made you a better person than you are... Nature versus nurture though...

Anything that makes the child wish they hadn't done something, and doesn't injure them in some way, constitutes an entirely acceptable punishment. Parent buys something? They have every right to take it away, it's their money, and unless you live in some wacko communist society there's nothing that can or should be done about it other than to try and appease them.

In short, your parameters are bogus, your upbringing is questionable, and you would make a terrible parent. I think I've said my piece for the day.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well if the goal is compliance, why strike at something that might be necessary for schoolwork?

Take away delicious food...

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Well if the goal is compliance, why strike at something that might be necessary for schoolwork?

That's a sin. Food is the universal good.

No, computers are much more reasonable.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

You're being stupid nef. I was addicted to gaming and palying way too much. My work was suffering, I wasn't eating or sleeping much if at all, and I was in trouble. So my bro came along and stole my ability to play like a bandit in the night, leaving me fuming but ultimately better for it.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Note delicious. Perhaps replace those pastries with some spinach.

And a sin to what religion? There is no universal concept of sin.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Malevolent deprivation of deliciousness is a nondenominational sin.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Note delicious. Perhaps replace those pastries with some spinach.

And a sin to what religion? There is no universal concept of sin.

Doesn't the concept of sin (meaning against religion) sort of run down your argument.

Different things are classed as sins, but then different things are classed as laws. As you are a Liberal I would assume you would consider many things Crimes against Humanity(as you are a genocidal fruitloop genocide isn't one of them), despite not all of humanity agreeing with you. And then whatever my point was.

At anyrate, denying access to something is reasonably corrective, and therefore a decent enough punishment. For example, children are denied access to wander around naked (most of the time) and therefore they learn that wandering around naked is bad.

Of course if you altered the parameters and said 'Children never want to wander around naked' or 'ITS A CRIME AGAINST NATURE' or other gibberings, then the argument is weakened....Though that would occur with any argument.

In terms of the specific case denying access to the computer is not corrective but it can be benifical, for instance Earth might have got a job, read a book, done some homework...all the stuff that the computer holds him back from.

On a much much more basic level:

Heroin and prostitution. You hook someone on Heroin, deny access when you want them to do something and eventually force them into doing things they don't want to do less.

This is one of the options, but most of the time people fold under pressure.

Prolonged denial is far less effective, but in the short term very few individuals will embark on a convoluted path to achieve something that they can get by simply following the rules...as shown with the Heroin example above.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

The whole point of such punishment is not to make the child feel bad because they did something wrong, it's to make them feel bad about having done something wrong by making them understand the direct consequences of their actions, if there's no way to do that and the child is not a psychopath, then it just proves that you are wrong in your attempt to punish the child in the first place.

In Earth's case, a solution here would be to make him do some chores that he would normally have just enough energy to do.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

I feel like Mather justs sits and waits all day until Archi posts something so he can object to it in some way. It's like they're each other's foil.

That or he's been monitoring the forums WITH HIS MIND. :shock:

RIP Dawngate ;-;

"Do as I say, not as I do or have said in the past." - The Liberal Creed

My personal addendum to the creed. "Everything that I say is logical, and any contradictions work out in my favor always. Most of the time. No, always."