The Back Room

stevepole

Anyone know what it means when my blood is almost black and about as thick as liquid honey?

Your hair will turn purple, you'll become compulsively indecisive, and no one will be able to tell if you're male or female. Also a girl with odd looking hair will soon enter your life, and around eighty chapters later you'll kill your mother.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

The whole point of such punishment is not to make the child feel bad because they did something wrong, it's to make them feel bad about having done something wrong by making them understand the direct consequences of their actions, if there's no way to do that and the child is not a psychopath, then it just proves that you are wrong in your attempt to punish the child in the first place.

In Earth's case, a solution here would be to make him do some chores that he would normally have just enough energy to do.

So let me get this straight.

To punish someone you need to create a system whereby they can do something, but if they do they feel bad? Yes... I would suggest you look at the many many studies on Homosexuality (Specifically the ones where they would fit electrodes, provide erotica and then apply pain as a responce. There are also multiple studies in mice) to discover how effective that kind of treatment actually is. For the most part the person being punished actually needs to come to the conclusion that what they have done is wrong before any degree of correction can occur.

Ergo its either about making the punishment so hedious that the person develops a psychological adversion to it, or you are just wasting time. Unless Earth's mum has no problem in electrocuting (The more human tortures) him into not playing games, you are advocating a system which would work in theory, but its practical application is impossible. Oh, also:

When I was about 20 years old, I met an old pastor's wife who told me that when she was young and had her first child, she didn't believe in striking children, although spanking kids with a switch pulled from a tree was standard punishment at the time. But one day when her son was four or five, he did something that she felt warranted a spanking - the first of his life. And she told him that he would have to go outside and find a switch for her to hit him with. The boy was gone a long time. And when he came back in, he was crying. He said to her, "Mama, I couldn't find a switch, but here's a rock that you can throw at me."

All of a sudden the mother understood how the situation felt from the child's point of view: that if my mother wants to hurt me, then it makes no difference what she does it with; she might as well do it with a stone. And the mother took the boy onto her lap and they both cried. Then she laid the rock on a shelf in the kitchen to remind herself forever: never violence. And that is something I think everyone should keep in mind. Because violence begins in the nursery one can raise children into violence.

I would agree that denial of access is less efficent (Then again I would agree that genocide was more efficent than integration...more desirable too), but it is actually doable. A parent can deny access to something with considerably more ease than they can beat the child into submission.

As to doing chores...All your are really doing is asking the child (There has to be a negative consequence for failure, and since denial of access and beating the child (Earth) are both out of the picture you are essentially advocating that his mum goes 'Earth, as punishment, can you tidy your room.') to do something that you yourself find mildly undesirable.

This is not to say that this is not effective in some circumstances...but given that Earth was already failing to do MANY of things he was asked to do it is exceedingly unlikely he would, for no reason, do this extra thing he didn't want to do.

As to proving you are wrong by attempting to punish the child...You are opening a rather large can of philosphical worms, and one that servers no real purpose other than to degrade and destroy the fabric of society (Like it has done in France).

If you try to justify why something should be so then, unless you agree with the fundermental tenants already, or they are not far from what you already believe, then you just end up going in circles. For example:

You should tidy your room

Why, it will just get messy again

Because I said so

I don't accept that as an adequate reason for doing anything

If you don't you will get hurt

I don't accept that as an adequate reason for doing anything

If you don't then you will suffer from the degredation in hygine

Well I haven't so far

But you will in the future

I think I would have seen some signs before now if that was the case

The signs could be anything, from that cough you have, for instance

No, because I saw someone else coughing at school

Maybe they caught it from you

No

And so on.

You can also do it with something like 'You should marry this person' or 'Why don't you want to go to Scouts' for things where most of us would say the child was right, or where our own preferences would play a larger role.

As such there is a rather convoluted issue because neither parent or child can subjectively prove to the other that they are right (Where they can there isn't a serious problem).

Now how do you resolve that? Well, the tried and tested method is to assume the adult is correct, though this has increasingly disintergrated, leaving the situation as one where the child avoids taking on advice and therefore suffers the falls that could have been avoided.

On top of that you have the issue that advertising and the ease and avaliability of entertainment becomes a burden in itself. We can see this stretching back to the Industrial Revolution by the drunken working class male, as well as further back by the indolent noble, as compared to the industrious peasantry who worked or died.

At any rate that brings us full circle, as nature originally metered out the punishment for idleness, but now we have 'tamed' nature we do not feel her lash at our backs, and finding ourselves free have strove to prevent anyone taking over...Thus we find corporal punishment distasteful, and this leaves few recourses for effective punishment/motivation.

"Do as I say, not as I do or have said in the past." - The Liberal Creed

My personal addendum to the creed. "Everything that I say is logical, and any contradictions work out in my favor always. Most of the time. No, always."

"My ideas have changed, but not my belief that I am right."

Liberalism, specifically French Liberalism, has a lot to answer for.

I feel like Mather justs sits and waits all day until Archi posts something so he can object to it in some way. It's like they're each other's foil.

We do agree with each other on occassion.

Anyone know what it means when my blood is almost black and about as thick as liquid honey?

Typically excess Iron.

I would recommend not eating meat or other Iron containing things for a few days...Or visiting a doctor.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Typically excess Iron.

I would recommend not eating meat or other Iron containing things for a few days...Or visiting a doctor.

I can say I am fairly certain that it would not be excess Iron (I have seen blood with excess iron quite a few times,it can get really dark, but not to the point of being black). If your blood is that viscous you really really should see a doctor about it, as it could be something that is really dangerous.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

Nef, why are you stupid. Seriously, it was for my own good, and right now you're trolling. Not dealing with this at 7 in the morning after a bad nights sleep. Feh.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Nef, why are you stupid. Seriously, it was for my own good, and right now you're trolling. Not dealing with this at 7 in the morning after a bad nights sleep. Feh.

Well, no.

Your brother shouldn't be an authority figure, he's your brother and not your parents. Who on earth is it acceptable for the older brother to be an authority figure over the younger brother, that's just strange in my eyes.

It's even stranger that you accept that your brother can freely take items off you as he sees fit.

qTLQRuS.png

I've seen excess iron before, it made my blood look brown-ish and rusty.

And I suspect what may have happened is that is that I just came upon some blood that had been trapped for a while and deoxygenated, as it only had to congregate to about 2 mm in depth before it looked near perfect black. This would make sense since the blood in question came from one of those annoying not-quite-zits which I had on my thigh.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Well, no.

Your brother shouldn't be an authority figure, he's your brother and not your parents. Who on earth is it acceptable for the older brother to be an authority figure over the younger brother, that's just strange in my eyes.

It's even stranger that you accept that your brother can freely take items off you as he sees fit.

His brother was acting under orders from his mum...

Though older brothers tend to be authority figures in any household (except where they are wastrals), given that they are larger and stronger than the younger, and thus embody an advanced state of 'man'...ergo something to emulate.

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

No, my mother can barely use a mouse correctly, he did it by himself. Please, stop talking nef. Your misdirected sympathetic anger is giving me a bloody headache

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Let me clear this up: My brother is NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE THE IPAD AT ALL, as ordered by both of my parents. When my brother gets the iPad and I take it from him, he immediatly will try to hurt me until I give it back. I just find it funny that I can be kicked, smacked and beaten by him and I still won't give in to him. My sister or my other brother, in contrast to me, give in and give him what he wants.

It's really simple to figure it out:

==> Lei sees her brother playing on the iPad he's not supposed to be on

==> Lei: take iPad away

==> Brother: Beat Lei into submission

==> Lei: Tolerate pain, hide iPad

==> Brother: Give up

==> Lei: Be amused by the pain tolerance

It's as simple as that. I'm just doing what I was told.

Neat thing in Age of Empires is that someone figured out how to make a trigger that gives everyone 1000 population instead of the 200 population, so you can actually have a huge economy and a huge military (no one really ever reaches the 1000 pop cap unless they've already won).

So you can actually continue to gain power and fight off a few lesser enemies and not suffer the effect of pop caps. Currently diplomatic games on multiplayer are always make alliances at the start and betray at the end, but if we had some people from the Tavern play, I think it would be more interesting than that. :thumbup:

Also games only last an hour or two if people really want to kill each other, so it is not too consuming.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Purchase Borderlands: Y/N?

I feel like it might be a fun little thing to play while a wait for a game to crop up that I really, really want. Not too expensive, and it has splitscreen, and my dad has been really wanting a co op game we can play together.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Well, so long as your dad is okay with swearing, blood and gore, and almsot stark naked characters at some point then go for it.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Oh for [bleep]s sake, who released Kyogre?

It's like a [bleep]ing monsoon here, and it's falling so hard you'd believe mother nature was out to kill us. I literally would not leave the house now for fear of being beaten to death by the raindrops.

FaladorTavern-2.png

TheMather1.jpg

Twitter:

@TheMather1

Or the chance of being instantly killed by the sheer cold of it all.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

If you blindfold yourself, they won't be able to battle you.

Well, so long as your dad is okay with swearing, blood and gore, and almsot stark naked characters at some point then go for it.

Are you kidding? That game is pretty damn tame compared to most modern shooters. Not nearly as bad as Fallout.

I hear worse swearing in Highschool/at Grassroots/on Comedy Central.

Seems like the ESRB pulled another Okami, and screwed up the ratings big time.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Eh. I've never played it and only watched a few youtube videos, so I'm not the bst judge.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

For reference, oats and milk don't mix...no matter how much it looks like Musili

You just gotta add sauerkraut, pig's blood, and assorted dried fruits. Instant Musli.

On a separate note, I find Borderlands more entertaining than it has any right to be. Someday I'll probably tire of lovingly crafting my own personal arsenal from the 20,000,000+ guns on hand, then hunting down bandits, alien wildlife, and various critters for the sole purpose of sustaining and expanding said arsenal. But not any day soon.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Heh, congrats, Nex. you have found a fun game. Also, I have minecraft on this computer and it runs beautifully. I am so glad I have this thing back. I cantually got things done and I'm not afraid to fight mobs because now I won't lag to my doom into some lava pit or something.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]