Good gaming laptops?

Morriss

Mearly posting this up as I am looking to sell my desktop computer and move to a gaming laptop. I have a budget of like £700 so if I can have some good suggestions for £700 or cheaper that would be great! :D

Cheers guys! icon_thumbs.gif

so im not certain but i think £700 is around $1300 american and if that is the case then my friend got an ASUS 17.3" with 1TB hard drive 8 Gb ram and she said it's fantasic, im gonna see if i can fins it so just wait a minute, i thik it'd be best choice i know of seeing that i think alienware's would be around £900-ish....

edit-

im quite suprised but they have ut at best buy :shock: but a little cheaper than i thought...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/4566495.p;jsessionid=74C00182EC76CC4CB17EE9E80C7DF0CC.bbolsp-app03-49?id=1218492352640&skuId=4566495

im sure there is better option's somewhere but i know that this one happens to be fantastic.

iOwn.... (kinda)

2 year old account, Hoping to max before 3-year mark.
rilo_kiley.png

Drops - LOTS! =P

1500 total, 2000 total, 2200 total, 2400 total, 2496 total, 2595 total.

99s in order: 99 herblore, 99 firemaking, 99 cooking, 99 strength, 99 Constitution, 99 Attack, 99 ranged, 99 dungeoneering, 99 summoning, 99 fletching,

Just browsing on newegg (gave me something to do)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215261

-Win7 64bit included

-i7 processor (2.2GHz)

-NVIDIA GeForce GT630M (2gb)

-15.6" screen

-4gb ram (1 stick) (mobo's max is 8)

-usb3.0, hdmi port, etc

I don't know if that's GREAT but at $650 (£403) it comes a good bit under budget with decent specs.

EDIT: Herpderp. As Beau pointed out Newegg doesn't ship internationally. Tigerdirect does, according to their site, but they don't list international shipping charges outright, and the same model is also $50 USD more expensive...

Still, if you're interested: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1798035

You have to call them to arrange international shipping orders though.

hzvjpwS.gif

im quite suprised but they have ut at best buy :shock: but a little cheaper than i thought...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+17.3%22+Laptop+-+8GB+Memory+-+1TB+Hard+Drive+-+Black/4566495.p;jsessionid=74C00182EC76CC4CB17EE9E80C7DF0CC.bbolsp-app03-49?id=1218492352640&skuId=4566495

im sure there is better option's somewhere but i know that this one happens to be fantastic.

At the current exchange rate, £700 is about $1127 and that laptop is about £732. Unfortunately, I also don't believe Best Buy can ship internationally except to Puerto Rico, Canada, Mexico or China (see here).

I found what appear to be the same product at a site called UseUSA, that purports to ship American goods to the UK, for $1,926.02 here. However, it's up to you where that site looks legitimate, and whether you want to bother with American products instead of buying something locally available to you.

Do you mind me asking what major electronics store you have in your area?

Thank you all for your suggestion, even though they have all been nulled due to shipping! xD

Means a lot for the help guys!

Do you mind me asking what major electronics store you have in your area?

I have a few! Argos, Comet, PC World etc etc. I mean if you just go onto any site that ships to UK or a UK website, my 'postcode' is UB10, or my local county/area is Middlesex.

Im still thinking a standard Alienware M11X is best at the moment, but all suggestions are welcome! :D

Just browsing on newegg (gave me something to do)

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16834215261

-Win7 64bit included

-i7 processor (2.2GHz)

-15.6" screen

-usb3.0, hdmi port, etc

I don't know if that's GREAT but at $650 (£403) it comes a good bit under budget with decent specs.

EDIT: Herpderp. As Beau pointed out Newegg doesn't ship internationally. Tigerdirect does, according to their site, but they don't list international shipping charges outright, and the same model is also $50 USD more expensive...

Still, if you're interested: http://www.tigerdire...p?EdpNo=1798035

I recommend this laptop. My sister has the exact same one and its great. It saddens me when all she uses it for is movies and Facebook though...

My relaxation method involves a bottle of lotion, beautiful women, and partial nudity. Yes I get massages.

ojdv.jpg

-Win7 64bit included

-i7 processor (2.2GHz)

-15.6" screen

-usb3.0, hdmi port, etc

Still, if you're interested: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1798035

Thank you all for your suggestion, even though they have all been nulled due to shipping! xD

Means a lot for the help guys!

I have a few! Argos, Comet, PC World etc etc. I mean if you just go onto any site that ships to UK or a UK website, my 'postcode' is UB10, or my local county/area is Middlesex.

Im still thinking a standard Alienware M11X is best at the moment, but all suggestions are welcome! :D

I'd check that out (tigerdirect) as it is well under your budget, and shipping at most would leave you somewhere's around $100 up, worst case scenario.

Also, if you want an Alienware don't get the M11X. Playing any games on an 11 inch screen for any period of time will strain your eyes, so go up the the M14X for the bit of extra cash (worst case $200 I think). Also, the M14X has slightly better bottomline specs with the bigger screen.

Sorry for using $ but I can't go accurate trying to switch to pounds, as I use $. Also, the M11x is fine and great, was going to get one myself until I started reading a bit and realised that an 11 inch screen is not worth playing games on, let alone any associated health risks.

I wouldn't order from Tigerdirect if you're in the UK, RMAing it and warranty repairs will be a [bleep].

A refurbished XPS 17" from the dell outlet would be my recomendation at that price range. New models come on weekly so you'd have to keep checking but right now there is one with:

•  
  • i7
  • GT555M
  • 8GB RAM
  • Dual HDD
  • Aluminium chassy
  • Blue ray
  • 1080p screen
  • 1 year repair/replace warranty

for a little over 700.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

When it comes to gaming laptops, why refurbished? Generally I understand that for the every-day user, refurbished models are usually okay, but since dell isn't exactly known for their longevity and quality, why risk it for such a big investment when you can get the same thing brand new with similar specs?

hzvjpwS.gif

When it comes to gaming laptops, why refurbished? Generally I understand that for the every-day user, refurbished models are usually okay, but since dell isn't exactly known for their longevity and quality, why risk it for such a big investment when you can get the same thing brand new with similar specs?

It's refurbished or scratch and dent. Varies by laptop on the outlet. I know Dell rubbish quality but it really isn't that big a problem with the warranty they supply.

And as far as I know, you really can't get anything better at that price range.

2d26mw.gif

Why can't the Big Bang be done by the hand of God?

It could have, but it is next to impossible because it also could have been caused by the flying spaghetti monster, or one of the other infinite number of deity possibilities.

yeah then i'd recommend something locally, i didnt check newegg because i found their service to be reliable i got my external HD there and didnt approve, but you should be able to find something in the UK.

iOwn.... (kinda)

2 year old account, Hoping to max before 3-year mark.
rilo_kiley.png

Drops - LOTS! =P

1500 total, 2000 total, 2200 total, 2400 total, 2496 total, 2595 total.

99s in order: 99 herblore, 99 firemaking, 99 cooking, 99 strength, 99 Constitution, 99 Attack, 99 ranged, 99 dungeoneering, 99 summoning, 99 fletching,

Also, if you want an Alienware don't get the M11X. Playing any games on an 11 inch screen for any period of time will strain your eyes, so go up the the M14X for the bit of extra cash (worst case $200 I think). Also, the M14X has slightly better bottomline specs with the bigger screen.

I have and am using an M11x right now, and the screen hasn't been an issue on any games I've played. Let alone anything else, hell, I even watch TV on it daily.

It's a pretty nice, compact, little machine. Though if you have the money I would go for the M14x, not because the screen is bigger, but because it can have more stuff crammed into it. :D

Dell rubbish? I know their reputation is so-so in the desktop computer area, but from what I've gathered, their XPS line of laptops is actually quite decent. Peter uses one and he's quite pleased with it as far as I could tell. Keep in mind that Alienware belongs to Dell, too. I wouldn't recommend buying an Alienware laptop though - they're a tad overpriced for the hardware you're getting. Unless you are specifically eyeing the 11 inch one, and having such a small laptop with that kind of power is as unique as the Dell website claims it is :P

Mearly posting this up as I am looking to sell my desktop computer and move to a gaming laptop. I have a budget of like £700 so if I can have some good suggestions for £700 or cheaper that would be great! :D

Cheers guys! icon_thumbs.gif

Are you really sure you actually want a gaming laptop, though? I mean, for 700 pounds you could easily build a desktop rig that has something decent like a GTX 560 Ti powering its graphics. Currently, even powerful mobile graphics cards like the GTX 580M aren't quite as powerful as a modest desktop performance graphics card, let alone those that you can buy for 700 pounds. Also, will you be lugging your laptop around often? If so, going for a 17 inch or even a 15.6 inch model may end up being a pain in the behind, which is unfortunate, as it is those laptops that having the gaming power you'd likely want. The 540m that comes with the m11x will let you run games, sure, but don't expect super high detail settings and the likes.

If you can wait a little bit, I'd recommend to look for a good deal that comes with the new GT 650m. It's a mainstream graphics card, so it'll be available in laptops that don't carry the $300 "gaming laptop" premium, yet it still outperforms last generation's GTX 560m (which is an actual gaming card, so to speak). If you want one now, shooting for a GT 555m is likely the best you can do given your budget. It's hard to recommend anything concrete without really knowing what you're expecting your laptop to be capable of, though.

Yes Dell is rubbish. Their quality has lowered a hell of a lot in the last few years and they have a high failure rate, on any of their lines.

Wow, urm, I just wanted to get a laptop so i can take it wherever I seem to travel to. Only graphics I hope my gaming laptop can reach is top graphics that runescape offers. So it doesn't need to be mega powerful. I'm still looking though guys to all contribution is noted. Links to specific computer would be of a great help! :) Cheers guys.

Wow, urm, I just wanted to get a laptop so i can take it wherever I seem to travel to. Only graphics I hope my gaming laptop can reach is top graphics that runescape offers. So it doesn't need to be mega powerful. I'm still looking though guys to all contribution is noted. Links to specific computer would be of a great help! :) Cheers guys.

Ahh, I see. The words "gaming laptop" typically implies that you would like your laptop to be able to run modern games to some degree, hence my confusion. As for travelling, I find that my 15.6'' laptop is just a tad too bulky to lug around everywhere comfortably, but iit's not a huge pain in the ass. I certainly wouldn't recommend carrying around a 17'' one or even something larger, though.

RuneScape's performance is mostly processor-bound, and just about every graphics card should be able to handle the graphics side of things. Personally, I'd look for something that has an Intel i3 processor or better, and some form of dedicated graphics card that isn't at the complete lower end of the spectrum, and that's it. That should easily fit within your 700 pound budget. The laptops Kim and Z_Berenice suggested both qualify just fine, and quite frankly, every electronics store in your area should have something that suits your needs. Why not visit a store and try out a few laptops? See if you like the touchpad, the feel of the keyboard, the quality of the monitor, the feel of the laptop's casing, etcetera. Such things can be hard to figure out online, without doing lots of reading. Just don't listen if the salesperson tries to trick you into buying some super-powerful model :P

To add in something myself, I'd suggest this one, mostly because I have good experience with Lenovo myself (my old Thinkpad is Nokia 3310 kind of sturdy), and because it includes a solid graphics card and a modest SSD which is quite rare at this price point. That said, you can get by with a laptop that's quite a bit cheaper than this one.

• 3 weeks later...

You definitely have to try out the keyboard and the touchpad and the build quality. I have made a bad decision like it, still regret buying that computer. Touchpad is horrible and laptop is nigh-unusable for what it's meant to be for.

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc