RuneScape Ads on UK TV

tripsis

I doubt they'll be using the cinematic trailer for the actual TV adverts.

I just watched the trailer...and it's just cut together from the cinematic one, basically just some scenes of fighting against the troll jumbled together. No explanation whatsoever, nothing that tells you why this game is good, nothing that builds up a connection to the viewer and over far too quickly.

Seriously, this is a *horrible* trailer. It's really, really bad. And now they're paying money to put this on Tv channels >.<

TO be fair, thats what the WOW commericals are like. Nothing like the game. *chuck norris* etc.

No, the WOW commercials are different. They manage to be decent commercials. They use action stars to market their game as being cool and tough. They show players being proud of their characters. I believe they show actual game footage, but that's besides the point.

In all honesty, if I had never heard of the game, and I saw that, I might be curious enough to go check it out. Then again, the only game with commercials here that I can remember is WoW, so its not like we are inundated with so many game ads that we just auto tune them.

Hmm that might be part of why I'm not convinced by this trailer.

I still think they could have done a way better job though.

As said, I'm not complaining about the rs ad being unlike the game. I'm just saying that, imo, it's a really bad commercial that will make few people visit the site.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Somebody had to.

Spent a good 30 minutes in photoshop just to prove a point to Jagex, they're far from the reality

[hide]

runespin2.jpg

runespin.jpg[/hide]

:lol: Very funny.

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

I just watched the trailer...and it's just cut together from the cinematic one, basically just some scenes of fighting against the troll jumbled together. No explanation whatsoever, nothing that tells you why this game is good, nothing that builds up a connection to the viewer and over far too quickly.

Seriously, this is a *horrible* trailer. It's really, really bad. And now they're paying money to put this on Tv channels >.<

TO be fair, thats what the WOW commericals are like. Nothing like the game. *chuck norris* etc.

No, the WOW commercials are different. They manage to be decent commercials. They use action stars to market their game as being cool and tough. They show players being proud of their characters. I believe they show actual game footage, but that's besides the point.

In all honesty, if I had never heard of the game, and I saw that, I might be curious enough to go check it out. Then again, the only game with commercials here that I can remember is WoW, so its not like we are inundated with so many game ads that we just auto tune them.

As said, I'm not complaining about the rs ad being unlike the game. I'm just saying that, imo, it's a really bad commercial that will make few people visit the site.

Sigh. Are you always missing the point? They don't show actual gameplay (I'm one of the top fury warriors in the world...I would know) They use famous people and humor and the catchphrase "whats your game" to try and draw people in WOW. No showing raids, no showing PVP.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Yeah, they don't show actual ingame stuff, but at least they show people who seem to enjoy their game. With this trailer, you see nothing, I see a few generic fightertype persons attacking something we can't see, it doesn't show ANY aspect of the game, not even why it would be fun to play it.

Sigh. Are you always missing the point? They don't show actual gameplay (I'm one of the top fury warriors in the world...I would know) They use famous people and humor and the catchphrase "whats your game" to try and draw people in WOW. No showing raids, no showing PVP.

It's not me missing the point, it's you. There's also no need to get aggressive about it.

So, once again: The rs ad is a bad commercial (imo). The wow one is at least mediocre. Whether or not it shows gameplay is secondary, I just mentioned it because it's actually more like the game than runescape, at least the graphics are shown...but once again, this is secondary.

It's not me missing the point, it's you. There's also no need to get aggressive about it.

So, once again: The rs ad is a bad commercial (imo). The wow one is at least mediocre. Whether or not it shows gameplay is secondary, I just mentioned it because it's actually more like the game than runescape, at least the graphics are shown...but once again, this is secondary.

Nope. You missed the point again. My point was simply that other games don't show actual gameplay. Any other stuff you made up is besides my point, meaning you missed mine.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]

Nope. You missed the point again. My point was simply that other games don't show actual gameplay. Any other stuff you made up is besides my point, meaning you missed mine.

I said the following:

to which you replied:

If you say "that's what the WOW commercials are like" I can assume you are referring to my description of the trailer. And my description consisted of: "horrible, jumbled together, no explanation, no connection to the viewer, over far too quickly, not telling why the game is good"

The WOW commercials are not like that, at least partly. I cannot know that despite replying to my comment, which was a criticism of the ad itself and not about the ad not containing gameplay or not, you are arguing a different point. Therefore I will obviously assume you are talking about the same thing as me and reply to you based on that.

One thing I've noticed is that the ad clearly targets a younger audience with the resemblance to a children's film trailer, but at the same time mentions you need to be 13 or over to play the game - why make an ad that a) isolated much of the RS demographic (in terms of long-term membership at least) by more likely than not putting off young adults, and b) then mentions you should be above the age that would usually be attracted by the animation style?

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

One thing I've noticed is that the ad clearly targets a younger audience with the resemblance to a children's film trailer, but at the same time mentions you need to be 13 or over to play the game - why make an ad that a) isolated much of the RS demographic (in terms of long-term membership at least) by more likely than not putting off young adults, and b) then mentions you should be above the age that would usually be attracted by the animation style?

It's just the way it works, they are trying to appeal to a new generation of gamers.

I heard of HLF that it was on the disney channel which is aimed at 10-14 year olds, it's a bit off-topic here but if you drink in early teens say 13, you're much more likely to become an alcoholic.

Jagex specifically target 13-15 year olds I think because they want them to be loyal customers for a long time to come, right now milk them for birthday money on spins for example, buy members, and later in life get even more from them with their little money making schemes.

Rather have someone in their teens continue to play in adult life than someone whos in their late 50s who will play a few weeks, decide its a gimmick and move on?

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

If you say "that's what the WOW commercials are like" I can assume you are referring to my description of the trailer. And my description consisted of: "horrible, jumbled together, no explanation, no connection to the viewer, over far too quickly, not telling why the game is good"

The WOW commercials are not like that, at least partly. I cannot know that despite replying to my comment, which was a criticism of the ad itself and not about the ad not containing gameplay or not, you are arguing a different point. Therefore I will obviously assume you are talking about the same thing as me and reply to you based on that.

Stonewall does have a point though. A lot of game trailers are like that. The trailer for the most recent Battlefield game is a bunch of unexplained, jumbled together photorealistic battle scenes (You can easily understand what the game is about though, if only because every 'modern' military shooter out there is about fighting terrorists). Mass Effect 2 was the same, but with more science fiction and Martin Sheen narrating it.

The point is less to say "This is what the game is about" and more "This is awesome, buy it". The cinematic trailer does its best to do that, no idea how the commercial does.

Stonewall does have a point though. A lot of game trailers are like that. The trailer for the most recent Battlefield game is a bunch of unexplained, jumbled together photorealistic battle scenes (You can easily understand what the game is about though, if only because every 'modern' military shooter out there is about fighting terrorists). Mass Effect 2 was the same, but with more science fiction and Martin Sheen narrating it.

The point is less to say "This is what the game is about" and more "This is awesome, buy it". The cinematic trailer does its best to do that, no idea how the commercial does.

You don't quite seemto have understood my point either :( Maybe I wasn't able to phrase it properly...

A trailer can consist of just battle scenes put together. For a shooter, that probably makes sense. And I don't necessarily expect a trailer to tell me the advantages of this specific game.

However, in my opinion the rs trailer is not combat scenes put together, but jumbled together. Badly. They don't make it seem epic, they don't make it seem interesting it's just some random scenes that really tell you nothing. I just think it's a really bad ad.

You don't quite seemto have understood my point either :( Maybe I wasn't able to phrase it properly...

A trailer can consist of just battle scenes put together. For a shooter, that probably makes sense. And I don't necessarily expect a trailer to tell me the advantages of this specific game.

However, in my opinion the rs trailer is not combat scenes put together, but jumbled together. Badly. They don't make it seem epic, they don't make it seem interesting it's just some random scenes that really tell you nothing. I just think it's a really bad ad.

So are you saying it is bad cinematically, not content wise? A badly constructed advert, by the advertising company that Jagex will have hired to create it, possibly the animation company which produced the original cinematic trailer?

Do you agree that many other trailer show next to nothing of gameplay, and often actually don't explain the game at all. For example, the Prototype 2 trailer currently doing the rounds on UK TV.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Ah. That makes more sense :razz:

I haven't actually seen the ad, so I had no idea how well it was made. Just based this thread, it sounds like they were going for the same style as every other game out there and didn't do it well.

Years ago, I heard of Rs ads appearing on tv. I never saw any in America, and only heard of it once.. Not sure it was true or not.

Miniclip generation..That really didn't degrade Rs. But thanks for thinking highly.

(Silently thinks to himself "Actually, I was an ass back then....")

EDIT: Keep in mind they're trying to show some Runescape ads to those who have either never even seen the game, or do not play it/haven't played it in a while. You are a player who has seen this game as of recently, knows a good amount if not most/all about the game itself, be it quests or monsters or battle-styles. If I saw it I would think RuneScape was almost like...Dora the explora-type crap. Then again, people have played Wizards 101. That is death compared to this.. I'm sure they will have a massive increase in players due to it, if the ads aren't short-lived and are shown in a good-sized area.

553VriC.png?1

Battlefield 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eedRhcpOsuU&feature=relmfu

And such like games have such amazing graphics that they can easily get away with their adverts on TV, Warcraft is another example of proper graphics and great adverts, if Runescape was to show in game footage of it's graphics people would just piss themselves laughing and ask are they being serious. Runescape needs to concentrate on it's merits, it's not just another MMO it takes time and dedication and the graphics are not meant to be fancy, just functional.

This is why I can see them trying to big the game up, but to be honest they don't need too, concentrate on things people love about RS, treasure trails, skilling while reading a book or watching a movie or just exploring and chatting with friends.

Quit Runescape 10 jan 2007 - Playing again 2012

Ronnyuk.png

4842295.png

I'd briefly read the first page of this topic but hadn't seen the ad or a link to it. Just watched it from the FB link on the first post... A bit stunned at just how shitty that was... Was that all the airtime they could buy, or did they figure people watching those channels were just amused by simple things? Seriously, they didn't even show the troll attacking him before Raptor deflects it did they? There's a certain point A to B that they aren't even following. Honestly, the quality of the cinematic trailer those segments were taken from is decent, and the whole "WTF just happened" might have enticed me to at least check it out if I saw the commercial several times and had never heard of RS. It was really rather pompous for them to deem it "The world's greatest adventure" though, after showing so little...

2dgucz6.png

It was really rather pompous for them to deem it "The world's greatest adventure" though, after showing so little...

Though I agree with this, all marketing is like this to some extent, and it's best just to switch off to it.

If Battlefield 3 has "such amazing graphics" why do they use live action, aka not in-game footage, in their trailers :rolleyes:

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'd briefly read the first page of this topic but hadn't seen the ad or a link to it. Just watched it from the FB link on the first post... A bit stunned at just how shitty that was... Was that all the airtime they could buy, or did they figure people watching those channels were just amused by simple things? Seriously, they didn't even show the troll attacking him before Raptor deflects it did they? There's a certain point A to B that they aren't even following. Honestly, the quality of the cinematic trailer those segments were taken from is decent, and the whole "WTF just happened" might have enticed me to at least check it out if I saw the commercial several times and had never heard of RS. It was really rather pompous for them to deem it "The world's greatest adventure" though, after showing so little...

I'm not really involved with marketing, but I'm sure when you spend the money on an ad you're going to try encourage people as much as you can. "The world's greatest adventure", untrue as it may be is probably the right thing to say.

RIP Michaelangelopolous

Was just with my cousin who was watching CITV whilst I was chillin in clan citadel, and the advert came on. Looks like maybe they are aiming it at channels designed for kids

Not surprised. Kids = money

It was really rather pompous for them to deem it "The world's greatest adventure" though, after showing so little...

Though I agree with this, all marketing is like this to some extent, and it's best just to switch off to it.

I'm not really involved with marketing, but I'm sure when you spend the money on an ad you're going to try encourage people as much as you can. "The world's greatest adventure", untrue as it may be is probably the right thing to say.

Of course I understand this, but even products for which such a confident statement might be appropriate usually have some sort of qualifier. :P

2dgucz6.png

I don't think any of us are doing a very good job at interpreting this ad through the eyes of a fourteen year old kid.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.