RuneScape Ads on UK TV

tripsis

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Toad's advert is more accurate than Jagex's. :P

Honestly, the way they clipped it to fit within 25-30 seconds is horrible. It doesn't give any information whatsoever and doesn't showcase the game at all. You don't even know what they're fighting if you only watch the advert. If I saw the advert, I would go "what the f" and ignore it.

Advertisements should display the product, not mash a bunch of quick clips together and then say "This is the best thing ever, get it now at ..."

Didn't Jagex use to rely on word of mouth? I think that was one of the last stances that they had on this game. Seems like that's broken, too. Well, if we get new players, it's all good.

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Didn't Jagex use to rely on word of mouth? I think that was one of the last stances that they had on this game. Seems like that's broken, too. Well, if we get new players, it's all good.

That would be because old Jagex couldn't afford tv adverts, and reacted like kids: "I didn't want tv ads anyway, they suck."

banner6jf.jpg

jomali.png

Screw putting ads on TV - they should put ads on Hulu and other services that have you sit through video ads.

I don't know why they waited so long to do it. Worse games have tv advertisements.

hzvjpwS.gif

Hmm. I feel that I learned less about the game when watching the trailer. That says nothing about what it's about or what the story is like; you just see some archer trying (barely) to hit on chicks, something coming out of nowhere and getting frozen, and then that's it.

Not sure I see what Jagex is doing with this...not sure if I like it, either. Oh well; good luck with this advertising campaign.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

Maybe a weird question, but what kind of person does actually still look television?

Barely any and the ones who do are often 40+.

The computerworld and the televisionworld are completely different things.

It won't happen a lot that people that look telly actually go to their comp and look up whatever is advertised on the telly.

Jagex could better give free footballs around footballclubs or schools with www.runescape.com on it.

Or table tennis batches or whatever.

Holiday is coming and so is the European Championships of football, so it costs a lot less, even if the campain fails you still make schools and clubs happy and it's way faster getting famous.

Why do they write http://www.PlayRuneScape.com instead of just Runescape.com? ;o

It was speculated earlier on the thread that this was to track traffic generated by the ad campaign.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I find the complaints about how unrealistic the ad is quite interesting. If honest advertisements worked, then people would actually use them. No one uses an honest advertisement, because they don't have too (in fact we reward the advertising industry for being misleading).

All the TV ad has to do is get people to the site. That's it. End of story. All they have to do is throw something out there that will grab peoples interest enough to make them go to the runescape site and see whats up, so they are going to make an ad that is going to make as many people do this as possible. Once their on the site, its the websites job to get people into the game, and then its up to the game itself to keep people playing.

My only gripe is that RuneScape really has one strength that no other game can match, and that's its quests. No other gaming company puts as much effort into their quests as Jagex does, and the result has been a few hundred quests that are actually interesting and creative, rather than the cookie cutter quests which make up every other game ever made. I wouldn't mind seeing a commercial that tried to focus a bit on that, though such an ad would also be longer and cost more.

Anyway, I am satisfied with the ad because I'm sure it will do its job and pay for itself.

I find the complaints about how unrealistic the ad is quite interesting. If honest advertisements worked, then people would actually use them. No one uses an honest advertisement, because they don't have too (in fact we reward the advertising industry for being misleading).

All the TV ad has to do is get people to the site. That's it. End of story. All they have to do is throw something out there that will grab peoples interest enough to make them go to the runescape site and see whats up, so they are going to make an ad that is going to make as many people do this as possible. Once their on the site, its the websites job to get people into the game, and then its up to the game itself to keep people playing.

My only gripe is that RuneScape really has one strength that no other game can match, and that's its quests. No other gaming company puts as much effort into their quests as Jagex does, and the result has been a few hundred quests that are actually interesting and creative, rather than the cookie cutter quests which make up every other game ever made. I wouldn't mind seeing a commercial that tried to focus a bit on that, though such an ad would also be longer and cost more.

Anyway, I am satisfied with the ad because I'm sure it will do its job and pay for itself.

I completely agree. No point complaining about people who complain though, as they did exactly the same on the cinematic trailer thread even though very rarely do cinematic trailers show gameplay.

I'm surprised they have finallly branched out from word of mouth, but It's probably because they have lacked the funds to do it. While Jagex have always made a good amount of money, TV adverts can be very expensive, if you actually want them to be seen by people.

Want to be my friend? Look under my name to the left<<< and click the 'Add as friend' button!

zqXeV.jpg

Big thanks to Stevepole for the signature!^

Do you really think so? The ad is just some pieces of combat jumbled together, which don't even really make sense to the viewer unless they know the original trailer (e.g. scene of ozan looking behind him, terrified - next thing we see is the Raptor attacking, so you'd assume he is the danger, yet it's actually the troll that you don't really see throughout the whole ad.

I have no problem with the trailer being cinematic - but imo, it's just plain bad. Scenes cut together in a way that they seem to have almost no connection.

You're right, all the ad has to do is to get people to the site - but will it do that? If you saw such an ad on the tv, would you visit the site? Especially considering that, unlike banner ads on the internet, it's not just a mouseclick away, but viewers have to remember the ad and find it interesting enough to visit the site possibly hours after they've seen the ad. I doubt this trailer can pull that off more than a few lucky times...

Do you really think so? The ad is just some pieces of combat jumbled together, which don't even really make sense to the viewer unless they know the original trailer (e.g. scene of ozan looking behind him, terrified - next thing we see is the Raptor attacking, so you'd assume he is the danger, yet it's actually the troll that you don't really see throughout the whole ad.

I have no problem with the trailer being cinematic - but imo, it's just plain bad. Scenes cut together in a way that they seem to have almost no connection.

You're right, all the ad has to do is to get people to the site - but will it do that? If you saw such an ad on the tv, would you visit the site? Especially considering that, unlike banner ads on the internet, it's not just a mouseclick away, but viewers have to remember the ad and find it interesting enough to visit the site possibly hours after they've seen the ad. I doubt this trailer can pull that off more than a few lucky times...

In all honesty, if I had never heard of the game, and I saw that, I might be curious enough to go check it out. Then again, the only game with commercials here that I can remember is WoW, so its not like we are inundated with so many game ads that we just auto tune them.

I doubt they'll be using the cinematic trailer for the actual TV adverts.

I just watched the trailer...and it's just cut together from the cinematic one, basically just some scenes of fighting against the troll jumbled together. No explanation whatsoever, nothing that tells you why this game is good, nothing that builds up a connection to the viewer and over far too quickly.

Seriously, this is a *horrible* trailer. It's really, really bad. And now they're paying money to put this on Tv channels >.<

TO be fair, thats what the WOW commericals are like. Nothing like the game. *chuck norris* etc.

Stonewall337.png
[hide=Drops]Araxxor Eye x1 Leg pieces x2
GWD: 5000 Addy bar Steam B Staff x3 Z Spear x6 Sara. Hilt x2 Bandos Hilt x2 (LS, Solo)SS x6 (1 LS)
Tormented Demons: Shard x6 Slice x5 Claws x9 Limbs x3
DKS: Archer x21 Warrior x31 Berserker x30 Axe x51[/hide]