Crocefisso

109 members have voted

1. 1. Is there a God or Gods?

• Yes, there is one God
    • Yes, there are many deities
    • There are no gods/God
    • I am unsure
    • Other (please specify)

The title is quite self evident. If you're going to vote, please do not be afraid to give reasons as to why you believe what you do, and if you vote other you're pretty much obliged to ;) (otherwise I'll assume you believe in angels).

[Couldn't find a thread like this aside from the vague 'religious beliefs' one, but wanted a poll - please do direct me to one if it exists]

"Imagine yourself surrounded by the most horrible cripples and maniacs it is possible to conceive, and you may understand a little of my feelings with these grotesque caricatures of humanity about me."

- H.G. Wells, The Island of Doctor Moreau

Technicality but none of the god(s) should be capitalised.

god(s) is synonym for deity.

God is specifically the Christian god.

On-topic: I'm undecided. I kinda feel there must be *something* more that we would consider a deity of sorts but don't know exactly what. Just because of the sorts of things that seem impossible to answer otherwise. Like if there was nothing to begin with how did stuff begin? And the universe MUST have an end or an edge at some point (in terms of logic we know), but then if it does what is beyond that, even if it's like some solid shell it's like what is there outside of that?

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

I'm an other - I don't really believe there is a god, although I am not perfectly sure. The main reason why there are still some doubts for me is the scope of the universe, and that I can't imagine where it came from (Though a deity doesn't really solve the problem for me) and the simple fact that there is no real evidence against it, so it would be entirely possible (And due to the nature of a deity, obviously you can't have any real evidence)

I am convinced though that none of the religions on earth are correct though. There is an infinite amount of possible deities and a not too small amount of deities imagined on earth. All believers are convinced that theirs is right, yet they have nothing to support it. Holy books, visions, whatever are common in all religions. Theoretically, only one religion can be the true one - And the chance of humanity finding that one religion is basically zero. It's a statistical thing :P

To sum it up: I believe there is no god, but am not wholly sure, but I am convinced all human religions are wrong (Wrong as in that the god they imagine doesn't exist, not in the sense of the religion being bad)

I am convinced though that none of the religions on earth are correct though. There is an infinite amount of possible deities and a not too small amount of deities imagined on earth. All believers are convinced that theirs is right, yet they have nothing to support it. Holy books, visions, whatever are common in all religions. Theoretically, only one religion can be the true one - And the chance of humanity finding that one religion is basically zero. It's a statistical thing :P

Well technically, there can be many 'correct' religions assuming they adhere to the same god. Chritianity, Islam, and Judaism are all Abrahamic Religions, so if God is real all 3 religions are true* but only one diety is real.

* Depending on your definition of 'true'. Christianity claims in the divinity of Jesus and the other two do not. So if God did send Jesus, rejection of his teachings could result in the other two religions becoming 'untrue' even though they adhere to the same god.

Well technically, there can be many 'correct' religions assuming they adhere to the same god. Chritianity, Islam, and Judaism are all Abrahamic Religions, so if God is real all 3 religions are true* but only one diety is real.

* Depending on your definition of 'true'. Christianity claims in the divinity of Jesus and the other two do not. So if God did send Jesus, rejection of his teachings could result in the other two religions becoming 'untrue' even though they adhere to the same god.

They don't adhere to the same god. They all claim that the god Abraham prayed to was their god, but that doesn't mean the god they adhere to the same god. A god is defined through the values etc. the religions assign to him, by the wonders they claim he's done etc.

And assuming there is a deity out there, the chance of humanity defining just the right god are quite slim :P

I won't say either way, as I am a skeptic among quite a few of those options, but against the Christian God I have one argument, dinosaurs.

You're talking about fundementalists here, not normal christians. You can disprove fundamentals(regardless of which religion) so easily it's quite boring (Plus it doesn't achieve anything as they just ignore you).

Besides, the bible never claimed the earth is 6000 years old. You arrive at that number by adding together all the years of the genealogy since Adam and Eve - While completely ignoring that the description of Genesis was never intended to be taken literally, not even at the time of writing. We even know when those passages were written, and why.

I'm technically an agnostic, although i hate calling myself that without explanation because people automatically lump you with the "herpderp its 50/50" people that put literally no thought into anything they say.

I believe god could possibly exist, but for him to exist everything we know about the universe must be completely wrong. This is technically possible, but it's less likely than getting 1000000 divine sigils in a row, or the planet to be invested with flying pigs that by some *cough* miracle, humans haven't happened to stumble upon by pure chance despite sharing the same land and there being billions of them.

To say "their is no god" is just as arrogant as "this is a god" in my eyes, as there is absolutely no way you could tell for sure. But it's forgivable, because despite the (lack of) evidence being in atheism's favour, theres also no way to know for sure literally anything using the same evaluation. "I just saw Dale" How do you know for 100% certain that wasn't someone else in the best Dale disguise possible? How do you know aliens didn't transmit data straight into your head to make you think you saw Dale? There are billions of unlikely possibilities for everything that we sensibly ignore because of their unlikeliness, god's existence should be one of them.

I usually just say atheist... I think you can understand why.

CNqWHdA.jpg

"I believe god could possibly exist, but for him to exist everything we know about the universe must be completely wrong."

What exactly do you mean by that? Why couldn't a god exist without our knowledge being completely false?

"I believe god could possibly exist, but for him to exist everything we know about the universe must be completely wrong."

What exactly do you mean by that? Why couldn't a god exist without our knowledge being completely false?

mmm seems like an odd statement.

Certainly for any of the commonly reference gods humanity has as they are currently taught by the most liberal aspects of their respective religions they could all just about exist within known science. But of course there is the possibility of something else being god; surely in reality any TRUE god would actually conform with all science we know (other than things that are purely theoretical and we take to be true until proven otherwise)

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

To qualify as god you have to be impossible, which is impossible.

A few examples. God created the universe from nothing. You can't create energy, impossible. (How did it get here? I don't know. Yet.)

God is omnipotent. Which of course is impossible and there are several paradoxes at the very simplest level.

Basically, any feature that makes God a god breaks several laws of physics. And if a "god" exists that doesn't have these features, he's not a god.

CNqWHdA.jpg

The world is too complex to have been created by chance.

That doesn't even make sense.

Things are complex because of systems that have created themselves. How did these systems come to be? Random chance mixed with them being complex enough to self replicate and survive. It's called evolution. Besides, the world is far from perfect, which you'd assume an omniscient being would be able to create.

To say anything is too complex to have been created by chance is to VASTLY underestimate how many things that could possibly happen by chance.

CNqWHdA.jpg

While that is technically untrue given parts of the multiverse theory (infinite universes means at least some are complex etc), I believe that the probability of an omnipotent creator is higher than the probability of a universe randomly creating itsself in a complex way, much less in such a way as to support life.

I won't say either way, as I am a skeptic among quite a few of those options, but against the Christian God I have one argument, dinosaurs.

You're talking about fundementalists here, not normal christians. You can disprove fundamentals(regardless of which religion) so easily it's quite boring (Plus it doesn't achieve anything as they just ignore you).

Besides, the bible never claimed the earth is 6000 years old. You arrive at that number by adding together all the years of the genealogy since Adam and Eve - While completely ignoring that the description of Genesis was never intended to be taken literally, not even at the time of writing. We even know when those passages were written, and why.

Yet, it says that there was literally nothing no light, no land, no water. If we are to take it as it is written we would believe that Earth was 6000 years old and these fossils are weird fakes.

A few examples. God created the universe from nothing. You can't create energy, impossible. (How did it get here? I don't know. Yet.)

God is omnipotent. Which of course is impossible and there are several paradoxes at the very simplest level.

Basically, any feature that makes God a god breaks several laws of physics. And if a "god" exists that doesn't have these features, he's not a god.

The trouble here is: None of those are REQUIRED to be a god. Most are entirely untrue of pagan, greek, roman and norse gods.

They are just qualities given to certain gods of major religions that can be used as flaws for why they can't be true.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Yet, it says that there was literally nothing no light, no land, no water. If we are to take it as it is written we would believe that Earth was 6000 years old and these fossils are weird fakes.

Yes, if we take it literally. You are not supposed to though. It doesn't make any sense and you were never supposed to.

The trouble here is: None of those are REQUIRED to be a god. Most are entirely untrue of pagan, greek, roman and norse gods.

They are just qualities given to certain gods of major religions that can be used as flaws for why they can't be true.

I see the main qualifier to be god is to create the universe. Anything that doesn't do that, but for example, can lift trucks with it's little finger, isn't "god" in my eyes, and isn't what I'm saying is technically impossible with our current knowledge.

CNqWHdA.jpg

I see the main qualifier to be god is to create the universe. Anything that doesn't do that, but for example, can lift trucks with it's little finger, isn't "god" in my eyes, and isn't what I'm saying is technically impossible with our current knowledge.

Well we know SOMETHING had to create the universe from nothing, we just do not know what as we are unable to determine any way to actually create matter (opposed to just converting it from one type to another).

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Yes, if we take it literally. You are not supposed to though. It doesn't make any sense and you were never supposed to.

Yet, if we do not take it literally we lose a lot of the power held with god. Without taking that he created the earth at the very least we have a figure of power who speaks to people without being there, does really cool magic tricks, and gives people the ability to heal...

Yet, if we do not take it literally we lose a lot of the power held with god. Without taking that he created the earth at the very least we have a figure of power who speaks to people without being there, does really cool magic tricks, and gives people the ability to heal...

You can believe God created the universe without the literal Adam and Eve seven-day interpretation. It doesn't really make a God as a whole an invalid theory.

I'm not saying you should see everything as a metaphor, but parts of it. That god created the earth can be taken literally(in the view of the religion of course). Saying that humans evolved from Adam and Eve obviously can't.

Working with religious text can be really difficult because you have to be extremely careful about what to take literally and what to view as metaphors.

This topic reminds me of David Mitchell's idea of the Athiest's Heaven (oh what a funny idea).

I personally do not believe that there is a god - the idea of 'some' almighty entity that can somehow control everything. (Get's reminded of Eddie Izzard's stand-up) heh. If I were to compare the years of empirical evidence shown through science to the bible. I have a fairly grounded belief that there is no god.

But what do I know afterall - I am just a monkey.

Luck be a Lady

That doesn't even make sense.

Things are complex because of systems that have created themselves. How did these systems come to be? Random chance mixed with them being complex enough to self replicate and survive. It's called evolution. Besides, the world is far from perfect, which you'd assume an omniscient being would be able to create.

To say anything is too complex to have been created by chance is to VASTLY underestimate how many things that could possibly happen by chance.

.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001%

chance is pretty damn low dude. Studying biology this year (specifically nerve impulses) makes me more than sure that there is something else out there than "random [wagon] luck" to create the universe around us.