9th of September: Live Q&A with CEO Mark Gerhard & VP Daniel Clough

Pirkka

It's happening this very second! Squeal is being discussed!

Pirkka.png

40,919th person to access Turmoil. 21,559th person to access Overloads.

signatureteksti.png

Are there any hidden bonuses here?

No bonuses

Some of the points said by Jagex (gonna keep updating this)

- No big updates this year is partly the fault of the Evolution of Combat

- The XP lamps have been checked very carefully, they are so rare that they don't really give any big advantage

- The big advertisement of Squeal and Solomon has been too much, so they are trying to tone it down

- The squeal and Solomon don't take much development resources

- IVP hasn't really affected the amount of microtransactions, and microtransactions have been discussed for about four years in Jagex.

- They are trying to advertise more players to RuneScape

- Runefest 2012 is NOT going to happen, because they want to focus on game content. Hopefully in 2013.

- Squeal money is going to RuneScape, not transformers.

- RuneScape 3 mentioned!

- RuneScape was in terminal decline from 2007 to 2010, 2011 was the first year they managed to stop the decline.

- 80-90% of people are using the Squeal of Fortune.

- Squeal of Neptune was the most used promotion of Squeal.

- Solomon will not have game-enhancing items.

- Squeal won't have exclusive high gear items

- Jagex does think it's wrong that you have to pay extra money besides membership fees to get Solomon stuff, so they are trying to find new ways to give loyal members the items or Runecoins.

- Updates coming further along the way will be teased about later.

- Jagex doesn't want to raise membership price anymore and doesn't want to have immersion breaking ads in-game

- Horses/mounts are not coming any time soon, if ever.

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

Edited your topic title :P It's September not August. ^^

I couldn't do it in time! :(

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

What irritates me is that they used Youtube for this. I know they've done more live Q&As prior to this one, but I would like to see the next on justintv or something. Chatting during the live Q&A is so much fun...

EDIT: Yo jagex staff who are reading this, give MMG a light slap and tell him to be a bit louder please!

hzvjpwS.gif

Huh "RuneScape3" wtf?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

I'm guessing RS3 is the move to HTML5?

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

They said it was the first time they mentioned RS3 as the name. Remember that originally RS2 was just 3D avatars in the RSC world but was developed further into RS2.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

Maybe now all the SoF and Solomon haters will stop whining. It's quite obvious micro transactions were introduced for a reason.

Like I said before in another thread, I doubt RS would still even be receiving regular content updates if they weren't generating different forms of income other than membership fees.

Sylpheed.png

They are considering adding limited items (summer items, katana etc) to Solomons store once promotion period is over.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

EDIT: Yo jagex staff who are reading this, give MMG a light slap and tell him to be a bit louder please!

Agreed. I turned the volume on both my laptop and the video and I still can't hear him... <_<

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

Agreed. I turned the volume on both my laptop and the video and I still can't hear him... <_<

I had to AirPlay mirror from iPad to TV just to get it at a volume I could hear.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

So far really ineterestnig, they summed up pretty much everything i thought was happening behind the scenes, ie micro transactions take low resources, they wouldn«'t be adding exp or gold to the store (even though I still think they should sell pendants there), item to gold trasaction was bad management, etc.

The thing that got me was Squeal of Neptune as the example of SoF being really successful for cosmetics and not for gp/xp.

Yeah cause everybody bought spins to get the super attractive Fish Mask, not because it's set to be a discontinued item that has the potential to be worth a good 20m+ in a few years. It is literally like the worst fact to pull out as 'proof' people buy it for cosmetics that the best selling period was the one limited time promotion that had the potential to pay out millions of gp if you can wait and sit on the item.

Also about no big updates it was good to hear that they have been a lot more depth into each update and that (alongside EoC) is what has held stuff up, but that in the next few months we should start to see the pay off of these big things coming. Plus was nice to hear that they are going to try and talk a bit more about things more than a month ahead so we can see what is coming up more.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

- The XP lamps have been checked very carefully, they are so rare that they don't really give any big advantage

And that, kids, is what we call denial.

"I can't take my credit card and effectively buy XP."

God that was painful to watch. Watching MMG talk about micro-transactions was just like watching Mark Zuckerberg talk about privacy.

[spoiler=Unrelated]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hu3iG8B2g

09144a99bb.png

Very true.

Since around July I have been keeping my stat gains in my sig.

Agility, Construction and Prayer are entirely from SoF.

Summoning is mostly for SoF with added trolls, promissary note and fealty xp.

Prior to July I got like 85ish prayer to 90 from mostly SoF as well.

I mean it IS nice to see them being more open and honest about the microtransaction stuff; but that one fact is such bs. Also it was the interesting backpedal on the news post where they did say 90% support SoF and they back-pedalled it to 90% utilise. Which is what we all figure out in the first place because its blindingly obvious that if you log on and a button flashes in ur face going amg free stoof click me click me click me you are going to do it.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

The audio's gonna be what it was, I'm afraid.

Pirkka.png

signatureteksti.png

No bonuses

The thing that got me was Squeal of Neptune as the example of SoF being really successful for cosmetics and not for gp/xp.

Yeah cause everybody bought spins to get the super attractive Fish Mask, not because it's set to be a discontinued item that has the potential to be worth a good 20m+ in a few years. It is literally like the worst fact to pull out as 'proof' people buy it for cosmetics that the best selling period was the one limited time promotion that had the potential to pay out millions of gp if you can wait and sit on the item.

Yeah, when I heard that I really couldn't believe it. It's so obvious that players were all over it because they thought/think they're sitting on the new partyhat ready to be sold for hundreds of millions.

"I can't take my credit card and effectively buy XP."

God that was painful to watch. Watching MMG talk about micro-transactions was just like watching Mark Zuckerberg talk about privacy.

[spoiler=Unrelated]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3hu3iG8B2g

Agreed. He made a nice point that buying spins doesn't make ultra-rares exactly common....too bad that the big bulk of xp is earned from common and uncommon slots....

They are considering adding limited items (summer items, katana etc) to Solomons store once promotion period is over.

I for one wouldn't be opposed to this. That's the sort of thing that Solomon's shop should be used for.

Agreed.

I'm happy they said microtransactions were necessary to keep Runescape alive and how after a 3-4 year decline it started to go up again. It's one of the things I've wanted them to say since they released SoF.

I still don't like them for implementing it, but the stream did answer some things I was interested in.

If they follow through on the things they said on the stream is yet to be seen however. I've come to learn that I shouldn't believe everything Jagex says until I can see the effects in front of me.

I hope they pull it off.

Well at least now we know they're not using the money to buy good audio recording equipment.

Not sure about the rest of the stuff, looked like there was some BSing going on, purposely saying misleading stuff. 90% of players use SoF? Yeah, the free spins they do. I thought it was interesting that he said they were reinvesting the money into the game, and then kinda corrected himself saying they were reinvesting in the 'studio' and 'technology'. That's like, completely different. Milk RS, bulk up your studio and tech to make your next game and move on when RS dies, is was it sounds like. And then that other time he's like, oh huge xp lamps are rare, don't worry guys. When in fact the xp gains are from the med/small lamps, either circumventing the question or just ignorant.

I stopped listening there cause the random audio volume fluctuations were getting on my nerves.

I thought it was funny how they both looked like they really didn't want to be there. Especially the dude on the left, his face was like, dang why'd the boss pick me for this.

• Like 1

2480+ total