I will get back to you on the rules bits, as there is a thunderstorm again.

But yes, the antihero option does exist.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

Former moderator of the original Dungeoneering

Former moderator of Ye Olde Hegemony

Moderator of the remake of Dungeoneering

Former Empress of the Lichten Empire (Hegemony)

Former President of the United States (Hegemony)

Former Emporer of Imperial Japan (Hegemony)

Czarina Catherine of Imperial Russia (Hegemony

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

Are any of you spellcasting types taking item creation feats? I'm trying to figure out how frugal I should be.

10:53 PM - retech9691: I feel the need
10:53 PM - retech9691: To include many chasms in my story arc
10:53 PM - Resistance: You mean plotholes?

Remember, Remember, the 4th of November

RIP Dawngate ;-;

And if you can find a magical item that has any precedent regarding critical hits that I could look at, then we can try to work something out.

It seems that based on the balance of the feat though, the dragon totem entry should read "this resistance..." instead of "this DR...". It's hard for me to say that the feat was really intended to give +6 DR and +16 energy resistance or something. But thanks for asking about this instead of letting me find out in play. I can't possibly check everything and I didn't know about this specific feat in particular.

---

Also keep in mind that using item creation feats to get double WBL worth of magical items does not actually work. However, I would still suggest getting item creation feats because it will allow you to get the specific items that you want and I don't particularly penalize in terms of WBL for turning loot into magical items (like say 1250 gold into a cloak of elven kind).

It's come up before for other campaigns, but basically it is ill-advised to keep all of your WBL as coins so that you can turn them into twice the market value of that in magical items. Although theoretically you could do that, the campaign world continues to churn as the time is spent sitting on the beach crafting magical items and the hidden plots continue to move forward.

Master of your domain? I am Lord of the manor, Queen of the castle, King of the county!

The only difference between a disagreement between friends, an argument between strangers, and a feud between enemies is the ability to reconcile.

And if you can find a magical item that has any precedent regarding critical hits that I could look at, then we can try to work something out.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhwDI9kFz9SddHI0N244NjJ0LVJrQzhvTXdWZmtWcVE#gid=0

There are none.

Well, except Windy Escape, but that takes a feat as well...

Well I knew you wouldn't agree. I know how you hate facing facts.

Yes but your Ring of Windy Escape is also a custom item...

So, Retech. By conventional pricing a constant Mistcloak would be 4000 gold, but yours doesn't go off of that, so what are the stats and pricing of your version?

Also, since you don't allow us to save up, do you allow easy upgrades to existing items? Subtracting the price of Fortification 25% from Fortification 50%, or paying the difference to make a +1 longsword into +2?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

Sold Gloves of Darkness, brought a pair of non-magical gloves for 1 cp.

Cloak of Supreme Blending (+5 Circumstance Stealth and Camofluff), 3,000, Cloak, lb

After much reading of the short list of magical items that cost less than the 3,000 GP, I have got the rest of my items.

Muleback Cords: 8*Strength for carrying capacity.

Tengu Drinking Jug: 1 Gallon per use of pure liquid of any drinking type. Three times per day may command to altar temperature from ice cold to boiling hot. Once per day may transform water to Plum Liquor, sake or Tea.

Claws of the ice bear: +2 Competence bonus on Climb and Acrobatics, ignore penalties on slippery or icy surfaces. Three times a day, as swift action, use spider climb(Climbspeed of 20 and +8 Climb skills, and no need to make climb checks to climb across/up surfaces, even upside down. Also retains Dex bonus while climbing and opponents get no bonuses against it.)

(Not on the Pathfinder sight, but is in adventure path 51, and in the Magical Item database.)

Oh, Nex, look at Deathwatch as a spell (Goggles mayhaps) it might be useful with y/our army of Death Candles.

Also:

Pendant of the Blood Scarab: Auto confirm 1 critical hit per day, take 1d6 damage. Immediate Action. 1,000gp

Finally, I am gonna make my final character sheet up to the usual high standard =P.

So, Retech. By conventional pricing a constant Mistcloak would be 4000 gold, but yours doesn't go off of that, so what are the stats and pricing of your version?

Also, since you don't allow us to save up, do you allow easy upgrades to existing items? Subtracting the price of Fortification 25% from Fortification 50%, or paying the difference to make a +1 longsword into +2?

I priced it as a command word version that lasted for 30 minutes. A constant mistcloak would be 24,000 gold (effectively the same as a ring of blur, which has the same effect).

Command word: 1800 x 2 x 3 / 5 = 2160

Base times spell level times caster level divided by 5 (since 1 charge) = 2160

A constant mistcloak has the same effect as a ring of blur, which is 2000 x 2 x 3 x 2 (Base times duration times caster level times spell level) = 24,000

The reason for using the blur spell as the basis for pricing is that obscuring mist was the basis for the mistmail, but the actual effect of the obscuring mist is that the spell is stationary. The goal of a 20% concealment chance that follows you around is exactly the same as blur. That constant mistcloak is also essentially known as a lesser cloak of displacement.

---

You can save up, but the only issue is that I have seen in the past that people decide to take their entire starting gold as a giant stack of gold and sit there crafting for a whole year before they decide to move anywhere. If you have gold left over, you can certainly just keep it and use it later as part of crafting. It's clear that you weren't trying to abuse it, but it just reminded me of certain circumstances from the past so I thought I would just mention it.

Despite that, easy upgrades do exist in the rules and the way you described it is exactly how it works.

Question: Would I be allowed to bring my own undead followers (if they have a swim speed), if I have already paid for the cost of the onyx? Also are you limiting animate dead to humanoid creatures, or could I bring along some zombie giant squid for the ride?

LNYvk.png

Despite that, easy upgrades do exist in the rules and the way you described it is exactly how it works.

I was just asking because in the Kingmaker game, you had to send off your bow or sword or summat for a week to get it enchanted while we were still adventuring regularly. Also, Obscuring Mist is 1800 * 1 * 1 / 5 * Charges. I would ask if, used by charge, it would be granted incremental minute use. I rarely would want ten or twenty or thirty minutes of continuous Concealment, but 1-5 several times in a day would come in very handy.

Thank you very much, Archi. I would ask... What exactly are those Death Candles again? Why do I want them?

RIP Dawngate ;-;

That was more the fact that there wasn't anyone who could enchant the thing in the uncharted lands, because most wizards aren't insane adventurers.

LNYvk.png

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/death-candle

This spell functions like death knell, except instead of using the slain target's life energy to enhance yourself, you use it to summon a Small fire elemental resembling a burning, howling version of the slain creature. The elemental acts immediately on your turn and otherwise behaves as if you had summoned it with summon monster II. The elemental remains for a number of rounds equal to the Hit Dice of the slain creature.

Nex I would probably suggest altering the Mistmail effect to more suitably fit the Obsuring Mist Cloak.

For instance, the Mist Cloak unfurls into a roiling mass of mist which provides a 20% miss chance to you (aka 20% chance you miss) while providing a 50% miss change to others (50% chance they miss you).

Or it simply provides a 5 by 5 feet mist cloud, giving you concelment to everyone beyond that (not terribly useful as a Barbarian, but you will usually be in rage, and if you still have supersition it wouldn't be terribly good)

On another level you could answer Retech's earlier point:

The key thing is that the armor bonus and the mist don't function at the same time, so the mistmail is already at a discount there, but you could still apply a mistcloak (taking up a cloak slot) while still having armor on.

Since a +1 Chain Shirt costs 1,100 GP, while the Mistmail costs 2,250.

Now, if we assume that the +1 Chain Shirt actually decreases the price, instead of increases it, then the item costs 3,350 gp. Which is entirely different from the 24,000 GP quoted above, and would function EXACTLY the same way as Mistmail, except as a cloak (Dispelling if you try to put on another cloak, etc).

You could extend it to any other item you could think of as well. For instance a +1 Mithral Platemail.

Grim, you can bring up to twice your HD in undead minions (like a single casting of animate dead) with you at the start of the game, so that you can get started and fill out the portfolio as the campaign progresses. I assume with the loot and burning that people will probably doing, there's probably a good chance that there will be more bodies than you'll need.

Nex, the pricing is done based on the blur spell, not the obscuring mist spell. The reason is that obscuring mist remains stationary and doesn't actually move with you, like I think you wanted. Also, I apologize, but I was looking at the wrong page at the time. The mistcloak would only last 3 minutes, but I can give you the minute partitioning, so you could probably use it for three regular combats a day.

-----

Archi, it is based on the fact that it takes up an armor slot. The tradeoff is between the huge AC of armor and concealment chance. Compared to if it's in a cloak slot, which is between say a resistance item and the concealment.

Although Pathfinder doesn't have specific rules for dealing with putting stuff in the wrong Body Slots (indicating that the rule makers don't consider it to be tabooed)

The d20 SRD does have a fairly simple rule:

Wondrous items that don’t match the affinity for a particular body slot should cost 50% more than wondrous items that match the affinity.

Archi, it is based on the fact that it takes up an armor slot. The tradeoff is between the huge AC of armor and concealment chance. Compared to if it's in a cloak slot, which is between say a resistance item and the concealment.

He could easily take a Ring of Shield and Cloak of Mage Armour for 4,200 gp, for +8 AC, and keep the concealment chance...

That said, you could impose a max AC to the Mistcloak, so that while he is in Mistform he doesn't benefit from wearing +9 Armour, which would be reasonably ease to do. For instance, imposing a +3 AC (From Armour) limit, while also increasing the price of the Cloak to make up for him not being limited to that specific armour type, would negate most of your complaints.

Grim, you can bring up to twice your HD in undead minions (like a single casting of animate dead) with you at the start of the game, so that you can get started and fill out the portfolio as the campaign progresses. I assume with the loot and burning that people will probably doing, there's probably a good chance that there will be more bodies than you'll need.

Nex, the pricing is done based on the blur spell, not the obscuring mist spell. The reason is that obscuring mist remains stationary and doesn't actually move with you, like I think you wanted. Also, I apologize, but I was looking at the wrong page at the time. The mistcloak would only last 3 minutes, but I can give you the minute partitioning, so you could probably use it for three regular combats a day.

-----

I am not taking a Resistance item nor huge AC, though. I was considering going into battle without armor, in a fit of suicidal brilliance. I see you won't be convinced though, so I won't further press the point.

I'm considering a switch to an Intimidate build to mitigate the fact that despite my Barbaric, Damage Reducing nature, I could easily end up uncomfortably squishy, especially if I ever rage crash.

RIP Dawngate ;-;

https://dl.dropbox.c...y Incognito.png

377 GP over the limit, owing mostly to buying Royal Clothes. :oops: That said, if I can I will bring it up to -500 for the gold, gems and general jewellery befitting an Emir. (Backstory, away!)

Please read carefully as the program I was using decided that the Mithral Shirt was a medium armour type so screwed with a bunch of calculations. also decided Stealth wasn't a class skill...I have gone through most of it, but anything that stands out let me know.

Oh, calcuating the lift capacity seemed redundant, since I can apparently lift over a tonne and a half, as a light load...

The 'Tremendous Strength' calculation is definately screwed.

If you have 20 Strength, and use muleback cords, your Strength for carrying is 160.

So 14 +10s above, so 14*4=56.

20 strength gives 133 lb, so 133*56 = 7,448

However, assume you started with 16, so 16*8 is 128,

So 10 +10s above, so 10*4 = 40

28 strength gives 400 lb, so 400*40 = 16,000

Tremendous Strength: For Strength scores not shown on Table: Carrying Capacity, find the Strength score between 20 and 29 that has the same number in the “ones” digit as the creature's Strength score does and multiply the numbers in that row by 4 for every 10 points the creature's Strength is above the score for that row.

For retech:

As my name partially suggests my character will frequently lie about his name, so I would like some assurance that I don't need to roll bluff every time I say a name. I will talk to you more when I have the character concept entirely fleshed out. (I have a long train ride today so...)

REQUESTS FOR THE REST OF THE PARTY

Please learn the Tengu language...We are reasonably unlikely to come across them, and it is not a common language spoken amongst Humans. Normally we would use Slyvan, but Tengu has the added advantage of being able to sent via kites (Using the Bluff Skill), and if we get split up the ability to send messages to each other will be helpful. The kite strings have 300 ft of twine, so as long as you don't go behind a mountain we should be reasonably capable of communicating. A kit costs 5 gp.

If anyone is thinking of choosing a Slyph please contact me as they have a convoluted 'Spy on each other' trait, and in the interests of roleplaying, I would like to not scare people =P Similarly, if people are thinking of playing a Fetchling please contact me (much less important, since you can concievably not be aware of my background, and there is no roleplay protocol for interaction =P)

While having more than one person with high Charisma is not a bad thing(indeed it is quite desirable) the intermediate need is filled by moire. If someone wants to build a character (Bard or just with high Charisma) then please feel free, but don't feel that you have to.

Similarly, please read through my sheet and if you see any holes (such as the lack of food) please endevour to fill them =)

-----

I am not taking a Resistance item nor huge AC, though. I was considering going into battle without armor, in a fit of suicidal brilliance. I see you won't be convinced though, so I won't further press the point.

I'm considering a switch to an Intimidate build to mitigate the fact that despite my Barbaric, Damage Reducing nature, I could easily end up uncomfortably squishy, especially if I ever rage crash.

We can always work something out. Shoot me a PM or we can talk about it in live chat sometime? But I think just going with say a mithril breastplate and this "blur" mistcloak for 2160 would provide a good defense against standard fare.

Also you can always use hero points to save you from the rage crash, which along with the potential deadliness of the game, was a reason for implementing hero points.

-----

Grim, you can count both as I assume that you'd always use them when making undead. As for the zombie giant squid, I'm cool with that, but in general for the starting zombie set, just things that are actually obtainable from being in a pirate's crew (probably not some sort of giant sand worm, or something)

Then what can I take out to learn the.. Wait. I'm a bloody Tengu. I'd be kind of weird if I didn't know my own language.

FaladorTavern.png

Youtube account: Earthgragonsage; currently uploading not an effing thing.

[hide=Memorable Crossroads Quotes.]

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Also for Nex: http://www.d20pfsrd....raging-vitality

---

And in general: http://www.d20pfsrd....pirates-arrr-us

Ignore the third party stuff on there, but there's lots of good reference on that page for pirate campaign. It would be nice if someone in the party could be the informal (or formal) "captain" and pilot any ship that the party gets its hands on, as well as learn some of the rules for ship combat at least.

Would be helpful to have good profession (sailor) and initiative too.

Then what can I take out to learn the.. Wait. I'm a bloody Tengu. I'd be kind of weird if I didn't know my own language.

Tengus get Tengu automatically. If you note on the character sheet you have 15 or so languages if you didn't drop the linguistics skill ranks, which cover every language of nations bordering the Inner Sea, the various forms of Common, and the general PC races. in addition to the ability to lip read in languages you know.

Also for Nex: http://www.d20pfsrd....raging-vitality

---

And in general: http://www.d20pfsrd....pirates-arrr-us

Ignore the third party stuff on there, but there's lots of good reference on that page for pirate campaign. It would be nice if someone in the party could be the informal (or formal) "captain" and pilot any ship that the party gets its hands on, as well as learn some of the rules for ship combat at least.

Would be helpful to have good profession (sailor) and initiative too.

Well in terms of characters, assuming that Earth isn't changing the skills on the character I made, Shadow Wing is able to do pretty much all important functions aboard a vessel atleast moderately well, and the most important functions he can do exceptionally well. (Sailing, Swimming, Boat repair, Climbing, Keeping watch, Surgery, Navigating, Cooking, etc.) Also he gets +6 initiative on boats or in the water (thanks to his favored terrain bonus, which also applies to several of his skills)

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

So basically I'm the best equipped to take the ship out to sea and make sure we can kill things with it?

FaladorTavern.png

Reigan: NO MOOSE CAN SAVE US NOW; ...Had that been taken out of context, it would have been comical... Right now, it's terrifying.

[/hide]

Mmmk. I guess I'll just chill. I feel bad now, I think I'm freeloading off of you.

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]

Meh, I made the character when I was bored and had nothing better to do. I did add notes on conditional modifiers to the sheet and made the aformentioned skill edit to that version of the sheets.

Luna_pirate_signature.png

Thanks to DrCue at DeviantArt for the signature source

So just head back to the link you had first and the notes will be there?

FaladorTavern.png

[/hide]