Bots

Zackeri

I was curious to see what people think about bots:

This topic is about bots and stuff :)

Which do you hate more?

People who bot to just train their skills to not have to sit at a computer for 6 hours to get one level and gain xp while not even playing, they do not gain any gold from when they bot though.

Or

The botters who bot gold and take up all us legit players favorite money making spots so that it is harder for us to make money ourselves.

Do you think they are equally as bad? Why?

Sorry if this is wrong place :)

Let's see: one bot does it once in a blue moon because he can't be arsed to click repetitively for hours.

or

Another bot does it for many days and floods the economy with goods to fulfill its masters' needs.

I'll go with the latter.

22031_s.gif

Let's see: one bot does it once in a blue moon because he can't be arsed to click repetitively for hours.

or

Another bot does it for many days and floods the economy with goods to fulfill its masters' needs.

I'll go with the latter.

This, but I hate the former a great deal as well.

Obtained quest cape and base 92 before obtaining any 99s! Currently finishing out my 99s with the (long-distant) goal of comp cape.
Sorator.png
260pifq.jpg

gMIy8.jpg

All botting is against the rules and ruins the game (and its perceived rewards) for those that play the game.

Conclusion; both types are equally bad and should be banned.

You forgot one category: forum posts about botting ... as soon as they try to coerce people towards accepting certain types of botting they should be locked/banned as well.

my achievements mean a lot to me and i hate it when people devalue my accomplishments by botting or by forcing me to open my eyes to the pointless endeavor that is grinding

down with bots

• Like 1

P0lPXdo.png

You forgot one category: forum posts about botting ... as soon as they try to coerce people towards accepting certain types of botting they should be locked/banned as well.

What are you taking about? This is general discussion of runescape happenings, the problem of bots is happening right now in runescape and I just want the forums to discuss it... Not coercing

• Like 1

I think he means that by concluding that one type of botting is better than another, one provides justification for those players out there to bot, by arguing to themselves that at least they are not as bad as the companies who do it.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I do think it's well past the time that Jagex truly nailed all those accounts that bot.

Clearly, IMO, one of the reasons why bots maintained such a stranglehold on the game is because, despite the initial effectiveness of Clusterflutterer, the subsequent roll back of stats was of no consequence to them at all.

Once it was clear that the dog had no teeth, there was no reason for people not to bot. Sure they may get caught. Sure they even get a 2-day "ban" or a muting -- but they left the accounts themselves intact and, for the most part, virtually unaffected.

The net result was that while a relative few accounts lost a few XP and maybe some rs gold, they could still return once the bot buster was circumnavigated and they wreaked havoc once again.

If you attempt to draw an imaginary line between what someone defines as a symbiotic bot and a parasitic bot, then you may as well say to hell with the whole bot busting notion because, sooner or later, it's going to be all bots all the time.

Oh wait -- it already is ...

:rolleyes:

nyuseg.png

The bot who gains skills while offline is bad because it devalues the time that someone has legitimately put into the game. Part of runescape is the competition. That competition is lost when someone can bot 24/7.

The bot who gains gp/gold is bad because it devalues the gp of everyone in game and encourages purchasing gp, and not actually playing to gain. This bot has a more visible effect on the economy and is perceived as much worse.

However both types of bots lead to the destruction of the community that makes this game interesting. Bots make players not want to train since they have to fight over spots, and they make people able to not train via purchasing of cheap resources and buying gold, and they eventually lead to an economy that is out of balance and people quit because they can't compete. Both types of bots are bad for the health of the game.

But on the topic of "it's time to do something about bots"... Jagex doesn't have a magic wand. They can't just say "poof" and bots disappear. They are working hard as evidenced by clusterflutterer and the bot system they just (partially?) released... But these things are always circumvented eventually.

You're trying to stop programs without stopping players. But programs will get more advanced and I imagine at some point they won't be able to tell the difference at all. The best jagex can hope for is making it difficult enough or unworthwhile enough that bot developers move on to easier targets.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

1 step solution to bringing bots to their knees(or atlest gold bots)

GET

RID

OF

THE

BLOODY

FREE

TRADE

:no more problem with people buying gold and success. except jagex (ivp) has no balls and likes money more than the quality of the game they offer.

• Like 2
meamzed.png

You do recall that there were bots during the restricted trade era, don't you? Removing free trade again will not get rid of them.

f2punitedfcbanner_zpsf83da077.png

THE place for all free players to connect, hang out and talk about how awesome it is to be F2P.

So, Kaida is the real version of every fictional science-badass? That explains a lot, actually...

1 step solution to bringing bots to their knees(or atlest gold bots)

GET

RID

OF

THE

BLOODY

FREE

TRADE

:no more problem with people buying gold and success. except jagex (ivp) has no balls and likes money more than the quality of the game they offer.

Yes, there is always an easy or cheap way out. However, as has been argued a thousand times, removing free trade has a detrimental effect on legitimate players, so I sincerely hope they would not go down that route again.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Removing free-trade does not solve bots at all. You cannot remove free trade without creating junk-trading where you have items of perceived lowvalue that have been gamed in the ge. A stronger system for trade restriction might be made, but there were always some method of transferring. Also items which had a high street value but low ge value were common and those items tended towards being sold for GP + cash.

Also, it does nothing to stop the first type of bot which is also subtly detrimental to the community and the competition among players.

Serena_Sedai.png

I honestly find it easier to put up with bots in rs than to put up with all the bot topics. Really, what is the point?

Jim: Bots are bad, Mark.

Mark: Righty-o Jim.

Walter: I think that all bots should be banned.

Jim & Mark: Agreed.

Jeffery: I really hate how I can't fish for tuna or cut maple logs. Bots ruin all the good money making methods!

Charles: We can stop the bots by removing free trade! [/knee-jerk-reaction]

Even the threads with the bogus charts claiming "rs is dying" are better than these.

On topic: I like bots more than I dislike them, they keep resources cheap for me and don't interfere with what I do. I don't give a rat's ass about highscores, how other people are getting to 99 faster than me, or the fact that Joe over there can buy a party hat with his botted cash. They are effectively the minimum wage workers who do all the jobs nobody else wants to.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

Bots make resources cheaper, at the expense of reducing the earned value of money methods, so that you need to work more because you can't sell your items for the value that they would be worth. Bots also compete in many of the spots that would otherwise enable legitimate players to compete in those arenas.

Serena_Sedai.png

Yep doesnt remove them, I am fully aware of that, but it sure as hell makes them a bit less useful for gold sellers, forcing them to put more work in. and frankly... people used to be a bit more honourable back in the non free-trade days.... sick of seeing 9001 looters in burstinglobs fc, for people plotting to kill lvl 110's at bandos so they can loot their black dhides.... really degrades the game tbh, it does.

• Like 1
meamzed.png

Yep doesnt remove them, I am fully aware of that, but it sure as hell makes them a bit less useful for gold sellers, forcing them to put more work in. and frankly... people used to be a bit more honourable back in the non free-trade days.... sick of seeing 9001 looters in burstinglobs fc, for people plotting to kill lvl 110's at bandos so they can loot their black dhides.... really degrades the game tbh, it does.

You realize those people were still around when restricted trade was in effect right? It wasn't "honor" it was them being denied the opportunity to be asses.

Yep doesnt remove them, I am fully aware of that,

Why even consider it then?

You realize those people were still around when restricted trade was in effect right? It wasn't "honor" it was them being denied the opportunity to be asses.

Because trade restrictions act as deterrents. Laws never stop everyone from doing illegal things, but they definitely discourage it.

• Like 1
22031_s.gif

Because trade restrictions act as deterrents. Laws never stop everyone from doing illegal things, but they definitely discourage it.

Trade restrictions aren't laws, they're an obstacle for bot creators to work around. It's an update that changes the way they market their services, instead of gold farming to sell gold to you, they offer to bot on your account. Yes, it will stop a lot of bots, but is it worth the cost of crippling trade for a partial win? I don't think so.

Removing free trade was a horrible mechanic for the game. It had all sorts of pitfalls.

1. Merchant clans sprouted which were essentially ponzi schemes. This often led to items being unobtainable due to the high demand.

2. Items were severely limited in their pricing. Some items became "junk" items because they were literally worthless, despite having some value.

Removing free trade is a terrible solution to the problem.

Assuming Jagex is able to successfully launch "Bot watch", then the removal of bots could become sucessfull (at least the mass majority of gold farming bots)...

w4M8t.png