RuneScape: Old and New

God Of Lego

My main problem is EoC as well. I dont even care if its not 2006 they bring back. EoC ruined the game. Not just the combat but everything around it. Thats why I hate it.

I read this whole thread, and honestly.. are you a troll? You cannot honestly believe it would be just "Oh let's click this button, boom RS2006, it cost us nothing, yay money and happy players!"

The group that is asking for 2006 RS has always, always [bleep]ed, moaned, and complained about every update. Jagex updates once a week, and every week brings change. Deal with it. If you don't like it, quit.

RS 2006 is not coming back, I think that's clear to anyone with half a brain. Jagex has always been stubborn, they've made their choice on EOC and if they divert I will honestly be surprised.

I'm not saying EOC doesn't need work, but it's here to stay - no matter what the player base says. I don't know why people continue to have faith that if they complain enough it will go away. Jagex invested tons in it, now they're in it for the long run. So offer advice, complaints, things you'd like to see change, but please quit asking for pre EOC or 2006RS because you're wasting your breath.

I think the main problem is that when the wild was removed, and stated would never come back, people [bleep]ed and moaned for a couple years then suddenly it came back. Now people seem to think if they do the same, they will revert EOC as well, not realizing the extreme difference in the situation.

Also, these kind of Jmod posts don't help much, if anything they encourage people to keep complaining because it appears like they are winning.

To be honest, the freshness of EoC is gone now for me, and I'm starting to miss old combat again, even though I loved EoC right from the beta. A main reason I think is due to how boring Range/Mage combat is when you only want to kill 1 target. Wrack - Wrack - Wrack - Wrack, yawn. I'm hoping this new quest gives single target basic abilities for range/mage.

For the record, I was reffering to Mod Stevew who currently heads the Customer Support team that deals with player moderators, as well as the changes made and being made in their Community Management counterparts.

What irritates me about posts like these is the obviously false nature of what's being said. Mod Mark is adopting a very conciliatory tone, and mentioning many things that players have said, but he obviously has no actual intention of changing anything about where Runescape has been headed. He wants players to feel like they're being "listened to" without bothering to do any of the listening.

Tell it like it is, Mark. If you believe that the players are wrong about what makes the game fun, then state it outright like the Diablo III team did.

Agreed, Jagex are masters of this. They do this all the time, where they basically pacify us into submission by alluding to all sorts of false promises. It's rather irritating.

Well, I can't wait for this and I love that Jagex are atleast thinking about us who want this.

I don't care what you EoC-ists think about this, I would never get bored of a 2006 server if it was made by Jagex. It atleast would be up and I wouldn't lose my progress, I would go maxed on an old rs.

EOC is waaay more boring for me then ever 2006-scape. So ye, i would deff play RS-2006 all day then ever that eoc.

Well, I can't wait for this and I love that Jagex are atleast thinking about us who want this.

I don't care what you EoC-ists think about this, I would never get bored of a 2006 server if it was made by Jagex. It atleast would be up and I wouldn't lose my progress, I would go maxed on an old rs.

EOC is waaay more boring for me then ever 2006-scape. So ye, i would deff play RS-2006 all day then ever that eoc.

People like this I estimate would last 1-3 months before the lack of a GE and dwindling player numbers made them lose interest.

Purely because they will come to see Nostalgia-scape and Reality-scape are nothing alike due to a mixture of rose-tinted factor of nostalgia, lack of the original community that played a big part in making the game what it was, the lack of modern conveniences we are all used to (eg the GE) and the ever-dwindling player-base.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

People like this I estimate would last 1-3 months before the lack of a GE and dwindling player numbers made them lose interest.

Purely because they will come to see Nostalgia-scape and Reality-scape are nothing alike due to a mixture of rose-tinted factor of nostalgia, lack of the original community that played a big part in making the game what it was, the lack of modern conveniences we are all used to (eg the GE) and the ever-dwindling player-base.

I think people underestimate the game we want to play. We loved what it was back then and thats why it was so fun. I dont see harm in wanting or getting that. And I think its wrong for someone to oppose something that doesn't effect them the slightest. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing. But I can assure you I want pre EoC not for that but for the game I loved to play. Its like when I reply the original spyros, I love them. I have great childhood memories but I still love it. I replay it multiple times a year. I hate new Spyro games because they destroyed it. With lack of homeworlds and gem collecting is not as important etc. The point is. Thats the RuneScape we loved to play. Nostalgia has a small influence.

Im quite excited to build RuneScape from the ground up if it were to be released.

Whilst you all say ohh its just an opinion. Dont forget that your points are all opinions too! If you want any legit feedback or discussion about these things. You'll allways have to find a middle ground and that in all fairness would lead to pre-eoc servers. It doesn't effect the EoC/Jagex lovers. And the old loyal players will be able to play the game they want. Anyone whos selfish enough to oppose to such things out of hate in an arguement doesn't deserve a legit statement in the topic.

Its like your country giving a 3rd world country food/water/medical. It doesn't effect you dirrectly yet some people moan about helping them. Which is just being a bad person.

I think people underestimate the game we want to play. We loved what it was back then and thats why it was so fun. I dont see harm in wanting or getting that. And I think its wrong for someone to oppose something that doesn't effect them the slightest. Nostalgia is a beautiful thing. But I can assure you I want pre EoC not for that but for the game I loved to play. Its like when I reply the original spyros, I love them. I have great childhood memories but I still love it. I replay it multiple times a year. I hate new Spyro games because they destroyed it. With lack of homeworlds and gem collecting is not as important etc. The point is. Thats the RuneScape we loved to play. Nostalgia has a small influence.

Would you pay a monthly fee to play it? Would others? Would there be enough to justify the costs? I don't think you have the data to answer this, which is a big problem I see with threads like these. Everyone is going on about how "Jagex is wrong, it's easy to do" yet they have done the research and you haven't.

Im quite excited to build RuneScape from the ground up if it were to be released.

Whilst you all say ohh its just an opinion. Dont forget that your points are all opinions too! If you want any legit feedback or discussion about these things. You'll allways have to find a middle ground and that in all fairness would lead to pre-eoc servers. It doesn't effect the EoC/Jagex lovers. And the old loyal players will be able to play the game they want. Anyone whos selfish enough to oppose to such things out of hate in an arguement doesn't deserve a legit statement in the topic.

Allocating resources to please the most unforgiving, fickle portion of the player base being a bad idea is not an opinion. The foundation of a middle ground has already been laid with things like momentum and I'm sure it will be expanded upon. However, it might not be the middle ground you want.

Its like your country giving a 3rd world country food/water/medical. It doesn't effect you dirrectly yet some people moan about helping them. Which is just being a bad person.

This comes from the fact that there are people who need food/water/medical in this country.

• Like 1

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

The point people seem to be unable to take on with nostalgia and 2006scape:

Yes you might replay Spyro or w/e other old game because you are nostalgic for it and love it and you enjoy it because as a one player self-contained game it is identical to what you played before. Sure some bits are a bit worse than nostalgia made them but other than that it is the same.

With an mmorpg like RS what makes the game is about 50:50 split between the actual game content and the products of the community (which is defined by their attitudes and play styles). NOTHING can bring back what the community was, it has changed since then and this is why that nostalgic bubble will burst and a good 90% of people who say they want it will lose interest.

No matter what way you spin it a huge part of our feelings towards the game and memories and experience of the game are formed based on interaction with other players and the community has evolved vastly overtime so even with a rolled back RS code you can never really get back to the game you have nostalgically stored away.

Also "It doesn't effect the EoC/Jagex lovers" is a downright lie. Servers cost money to rent and upkeep, it costs bandwidth to manage them, it costs man hours to run them; all these costs take away from time/money Jagex could be investing into other things.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Yes you might replay Spyro or w/e other old game because you are nostalgic for it and love it and you enjoy it because as a one player self-contained game it is identical to what you played before. Sure some bits are a bit worse than nostalgia made them but other than that it is the same.

With an mmorpg like RS what makes the game is about 50:50 split between the actual game content and the products of the community (which is defined by their attitudes and play styles). NOTHING can bring back what the community was, it has changed since then and this is why that nostalgic bubble will burst and a good 90% of people who say they want it will lose interest.

No matter what way you spin it a huge part of our feelings towards the game and memories and experience of the game are formed based on interaction with other players and the community has evolved vastly overtime so even with a rolled back RS code you can never really get back to the game you have nostalgically stored away.

Also "It doesn't effect the EoC/Jagex lovers" is a downright lie. Servers cost money to rent and upkeep, it costs bandwidth to manage them, it costs man hours to run them; all these costs take away from time/money Jagex could be investing into other things.

The thing is about the arguement of dirrecting people onto the project is, we dont know Jagex' game plan. Nor do we know what they can spare. There could be developers working on small projects that dont NEED to be in the game for a few months. These things can easily be worked around. Whilst Yes I understand its not so simple. But its no so hard either.

You are also assuming that the SoF/Solomon team members would be capable of this task... I think based on experience of their updates this might be a very generous assessment of the skill of the developers. The updates have been simple and yet still full of interfaces riddled with bugs.

And saradomin mage already explained how SoF makes more money that RS06 could dream of

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Another thing to think about is what would happen about items/resources in an 06 server. Modern day demands for skilling supplies and efficiency would ravage the very small influx of resources, with many updates since 2006 injecting supplies into the market, such as the upgraded rare drop table, daily tasks etc.

I just think people would get bored of it due to the lack of conveniences and no updates, both of which would be too big of an ask to add into it. Personally I prefer the game in its current form anyway though, sure EoC has got its teething problems but it will make for a better game in the long run.

• Like 1

safersbanner.png

Play Safe! smile.gif - Got useful information for the tip.it website? Post here!

Can't wait for "this"? Can't wait for what? Jagex hasn't promised you anything, in fact they haven't even hinted they'll do anything. They're trying to trick players like you in a, frankly, incredibly slimy and sleezy way. The only thing Mod Mark has done is list some of the most popular requests they've gotten. That's doesn't mean Jagex is doing anything about any of those things. Basically Mod Mark is trying to scam players like you into believing what you want to believe about Jagex's intentions without them actually agreeing to anything.

[hide]

[/hide]

I think people underestimate the game we want to play. We loved what it was back then and thats why it was so fun. I dont see harm in wanting or getting that. And I think its wrong for someone to oppose something that doesn't effect them the slightest. [hide=More...]Nostalgia is a beautiful thing. But I can assure you I want pre EoC not for that but for the game I loved to play. Its like when I reply the original spyros, I love them. I have great childhood memories but I still love it. I replay it multiple times a year. I hate new Spyro games because they destroyed it. With lack of homeworlds and gem collecting is not as important etc. The point is. Thats the RuneScape we loved to play. Nostalgia has a small influence.

Its like your country giving a 3rd world country food/water/medical. It doesn't effect you dirrectly yet some people moan about helping them. Which is just being a bad person.[/hide]

I think maybe this is where the miscommunication is taking place. You seem to think that you're in support of 2006-scape and are arguing why Jagex should do it, while the rest of us are against it, arguing why Jagex shouldn't do it. But most of the people here aren't even arguing against you. We're just explaining why it doesn't matter what any of us think about the prospect, because Jagex would still never do it in a million years. Your arguments are futile :(.

Alphanos

Alphanos.png

The thing is about the arguement of dirrecting people onto the project is, we dont know Jagex' game plan. Nor do we know what they can spare. There could be developers working on small projects that dont NEED to be in the game for a few months. These things can easily be worked around. Whilst Yes I understand its not so simple. But its no so hard either.

They're not going to pull people off their cash cows (sof and solomon) to try to revive a dead one. They've already stated that both of them allow them to expand the game far faster than had they not been there, much more than could be said about rs2006.

From the empty days of hope, deny the darkness
Follow my voice, we'll run far away from here

If only to hide, to escape this life
And live forever, forever in the sun

They're not going to pull people off their cash cows (sof and solomon) to try to revive a dead one. They've already stated that both of them allow them to expand the game far faster than had they not been there, much more than could be said about rs2006.

Very true they said in several QAs etc thanks to extra profit/reinvesting profits they doubled the Runescape team size in the past year - and that doesn't even take in account the new hires in the California fb game office, Transformers MMO or Ace of Spades.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Why is everybody focusing on rs2006? Didn't Mark only mention pre-eoc? I doubt this would actually happen, but if it did I'd be even more amazed if it just happened to be a 2006 server.

I wouldn't bother playing a pre-EoC or RS2006 server as I like playing through the new updates as they get released. I'm not ecstatic about the EoC, but I wouldn't want to miss out on any future updates.

What I would probably play is a reboot/reset server that gets weekly updates alongside the main game, but everyone starts from scratch at the same time. It would add a different aspect of gameplay to the game for me. This sort of update wouldn't require much effort on Jagex's part, besides the initial setup as it would be the same game, just with different (reset) accounts.

People wanting a pre-eoc server isn't nostalgia.

EoC only went live a couple of months ago, I'm perfectly capable of objectively remembering the improvements and shortcomings that system had over the EoC.

For me, there are vastly more positives than negatives of pre-EoC to post EoC, so I will support anything that lets me play without the EoC. Even though I think the chances of anything like that happening are slim.

Edit: didn't realize I'd already posted in this thread, at least I'm consistent :L

Asmodean <3

Why is everybody focusing on rs2006? Didn't Mark only mention pre-eoc? I doubt this would actually happen, but if it did I'd be even more amazed if it just happened to be a 2006 server.

Because the mass of people after this (who have been at it for years) and the petitions and such about it (which no doubt prompted the news post) are predominantly not just aiming for a pre-eoc server they are aiming for 2006 style server because in all the nostalgic haze they all mark that as the 'golden age' before everything went wrong.

• Like 1

Plv6Dz6.jpg

I disagree. The people going on about 2006 have always been there. Playing RS in 2006 was just as fun as playing in 2012, it was just different.

It took the EoC to garner a significant enough volume of negative feedback for people to start doing this sort of thing. If you took the EoC out of it and just went for 2006 servers, I think most of the support for alternative servers would die down.

• Like 1

Asmodean <3

Sometimes when my friends try to convince me to join RS2006, I jokingly say "I was there the first time, it wasn't that fun." What I really mean to say is, it was fun for its time, but I can't imagine playing it in 2013. It would make a mockery of itself: 2006 just ain't coming back.

When Runescape 2 was introduced, Jagex revamped the combat system so that it was possible to both eat and run from an opponent in combat.

PKing in Runescape Classic was all about the "three-hit-rule" and "catching". In RSC combat, the player and the enemy engaged in three automated rounds of combat. Food and fleeing were not permitted until the initial three rounds were completed. Players needed to grind out sufficient strength levels to be able to KO their opponent in three hits, and develop sufficient reflexes to be able to "catch" a fleeing opponent.

Secondly, they transformed Magic and Ranged from secondary combat skills into primary ones, thus creating the "combat triangle". Finally, and most controversially, they changed the combat level formula. The latter change "screwed over" many, many pure PKing accounts. The wild was deserted as people came to grips with the sudden dominance of Magic at low-mid levels, and later on, Ranged. Finally, PKers accused Jagex of nerfing the requirement for skill as "catching" was no longer effective.

Sound familiar?

Those of us from the "dark old days" of Runescape Classic could perhaps cut and paste our posts from Tip.it back in 2003 and still have them relevant to this discussion today. Back then, the exact same chorus was heard from the exact same demographic. "Jagex hates pures! Jagex ruined PKing!" they cried, on Tip.it and in-game.

In spite of its brief revival in 2006, PvP really wasn't the same as "back then". Jagex, since 2006, forsook the PvP environment for a greater focus on skilling and PvM. For high-level players in Runescape Classic, there was no real option but PvP because of the few boss monsters available. When I returned to the game in 2006 after a hiatus, I found a proliferation of skill pures and high level players not the slightest bit interested in PvP. With the introduction of skills like Runecrafting, Slayer and Hunter, skilling was no longer a means to an end but a very profitable moneymaker. Skilling no longer became a communal need but a subtle competition, in which players were pitted against each other to reach certain targets or profits before others. Skillcapes were both the logical progression and the concrete capstone on this transformation into Skillingscape.

. The problem is the community is dead. It is so obsessed with competition and efficiency that playing for fun is laughed at.

Why do people assume that playing for efficiency is not playing for fun? It is a different kind of fun that maybe you don't enjoy. I have a lot of fun trying to figure out and achieve high efficiency.

Serena_Sedai.png
Maxed since Sunday, January 9th, 2014
Completionist since Wednesday, June 4th, 2014

Why do people assume that playing for efficiency is not playing for fun? It is a different kind of fun that maybe you don't enjoy. I have a lot of fun trying to figure out and achieve high efficiency.

It's not efficiency that isn't fun. It's the mindless grinding and repetition associated with it. Problems arise when fun, inefficient activities become dead content because people consider them a waste of time.

77yLQy8.png