Age of Empires II : HD

chenw

In case anyone feeling nolstagic about one of the greatest historical RTS in history (no pun intended), Age of Empires II HD is available for pre-purchase on Steam for $17.99, available on the 10th of April.

Unfortunately, the only thing I can actually discern this from the original is the much bigger screen size, apart from that, the screenshots do not show much improvement to the original graphics (water seems to be improved, but that's about it).

• Like 1

tim_chenw2.png
6,924th to 30 hunting, 13,394th to 30 summoning, 52,993rd to 30 Divination

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)
Obby set renewed post update #2: 0

QBD drops: 21 crossbow parts, 3 Visages, 1 Kites, 2 Kits

Max Port Score [2205] Achieved: 27th April 2013 (World 2nd)

Farmyard Rampage ranking: 12th, 50,000 Kills.

Dragon Pickaxe Drops: 1 (Times after I first entered Battlefield: 2h)

I've been playing AoE 2 with some friends just recently the last few months, so this was pretty good news!

Looking forward to using the whole screen :D

And being on Steam is the best thing about it!

nabsigmar2011.png

[spoiler=My 99s (7)]9,638th to 99 Fletching ~ 29th January 2007

737th to 99 Hunter ~ 2nd July 2007

910th to 99 Agility ~ 28th January 2008

59,467th to 99 Defence ~ 23rd December 2009

92,762nd to 99 Hitpoints ~ 26th June 2010

102,704th to 99 Attack ~ 29th June 2010

144,091st to 99 Strength ~ 29th June 2010

I've played Ago of Empires Rome expansion, which was great, but I really like AoK and the expansion for it partially just for the better gameplay (though I love the paladin and trebuchet). I saw this on steam, but I can't say I was very taken with it seeing as water aside it looks identical to the old game as far as I can tell. When I saw that, I was hoping for some like, redone models to bring them a bit more into the modern age, and if we were really lucky a 3D engine more inline with a game like Empire Earth that would allow us to rotate the camera a bit.

I actually have Age of Mythology, but I have never been that taken with it (same for Age of Empires 3).

It's nice to have a higher resolutioned AoE2, but I'm not sure if its worth $17. I already paid (rather, my father paid) my copy years ago.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Sounds a good deal for new players, but i've already paid for and own AoE+Rise of Rome, AoE2+expansion(forgot name) and AoE3+Asian Dynasties & Warchiefs. Amazing game series, one of the true timeless classics.

Quest Cape Achieved 10/08/2012

TFU: Ruinous Edge

TFUsig2_zpsc5e7f1a4.png

A piece of glass in the sand under your feet, it cuts you deep and it makes you hate the beauty that you see.

Dear lord, I spent soooo many hours playing AoE2 back in the day. Coming up with random instances of precreated troops just to see them mutilate each other. God that was fun. Hopefully the HD is actually a worthy feature and not just some gimmick, cause I'm quite sure I could toss my copy in my old desktop and still run it from that with a little effort.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I'll probably play it for a bit. Obsess over it for a week like I do every time I play AoE II and then abandon it. Only to get it months later and repeat the cycle.

#KERR2016/17/18/19/20/21.

#rpgformod

It will support steam workshop, so you may have things like Customised civilisations, units, scenarios, or possibly game modes.

tim_chenw2.png

Kiln Record (Post-EoC): W 25 - L 0, 14 Uncut Onyx, 8 Jad hits received (Best record: Two in the same kiln)

It will support steam workshop, so you may have things like Customised civilisations, units, scenarios, or possibly game modes.

Hm, that does indeed make it worth it. I never actually tried mods on AoE2.

"The cry of the poor is not always just, but if you never hear it you'll never know what justice is."

siggy3s.jpg

Something I had not considered either. I didn't start to really give notice till mods until after the AoE series. In fact, I discovered modding with the very next RTS I played which was start trek armada (the Star Trek vs Star Wars mod is flipping fantastic). For some reason I guess I have it in my head that modding didn't exist until I discovered it, which is of course total nonsense. This will probably become something I watch from the sidelines, and if I see something really good I'll join up. The series was certainly good enough that I don't begrudge giving them more money as post thanks for making my childhood that much more awesome, but I do want to be getting something back out of the deal beyond what I am seeing right now if I am going to give them this much money.

They're not adding anything new that can't already be done. There is a patch that makes AoE widescreen or pretty much any resolution. You can easily play online with stuff like Voobly or Gameranger.

The only good thing from this is that you can talk to your friends on Steam while in-game and it's easier to play online, since you can do it directly from the game.

I'm personally not buying it, unless there will be a discount on it someday. 17$ is just too much for not adding anything new.

terravir.png

Rethinking it, mods/workshop doesn't justify $18. Who gets the money? Ensemble Studios? They're gone. Gaben? Microsoft? They got enough.

siggy3s.jpg

Rethinking it, mods/workshop doesn't justify $18. Who gets the money? Ensemble Studios? They're gone. Gaben? Microsoft? They got enough.

Former Ensemble Studios is mostly now Zynga. Mind = blown.

Anyone who likes tacos is incapable of logic.

Anyone who likes logic is incapable of tacos.

PSA: SaqPrets is an Estonian Dude

Steam: NippleBeardTM

Origin: Brand_New_iPwn

I'll probably eventually buy it, but only when it's on a sale. I am pretty much buying steam's convenience of not needing to lob the CD's with me everytime I want to play it. I have bought a few games a second time because of that convenience.

tim_chenw2.png

• 2 weeks later...

AoE II is quite simply awesome. The expansion was The Conquerors btw.

But I seriously hope it gets something better added, a truly HD version would be great. But truth be told, even the original has aged fairly well, better than any other game from that time as long as I can remember, looking great even now. And the original can now be played on practically any existing machine...

t3aGt.png

So I've noticed this thread's regulars all follow similar trends.

RPG is constantly dealing with psycho exes.

Muggi reminds us of the joys of polygamy.

Saq is totally oblivious to how much chicks dig him.

I strike out every other week.

Kalphite wages a war against the friend zone.

Randox pretty much stays rational.

Etc, etc