parental persuasion

Ramses

i had my eye on a new computer for myself. but my parents wouldn't let me get it. i wrote them an email., and asked them to consider it honestly. i reminded them that it is my money 700.00 dollars. then my mom freaked out, and said that if the money was burning that big of a hole in my pocket she would take it away, and "invest" it for me. i have the money but i need permision to buy it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What're the reasons for the new computer? Because that $700 is a BIG HELP in college, whether you believe it or not. I'm sure that's what she's thinking.

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

All of my friends with older brothers/sisters in college all got one when they went. Maybe you'll get a computer when you go to college too?

But since you said you wrote them an email, perhaps you're in college already? Or boarding school?

Remember your getting the Computer to study :wink: And it "will" help you with homework,and you will not be playing games on it and watching p0rn.If you can convince your mum that your in there :D

23 whip pks,3 dhorka,2 ahrims lvl 119 attack 99 strength 99 and defence 92 plus 94 mage

No, be honest and tell them the truth. You want the new computer to play runescape because your current comp can't even play runescape on high detail. It lags and you've died many times due to your slow computer. You slowly approach you're parents and point a gun at them. "I'm going to spend 700 bucks on a new computer for the sake of runescape dammit". Your parents understand and say "oh, my son, why didn't you say so? Runescape is more important than anything else! Come here!". You break in tears and hug your parents and drop the gun. As you start leaving, you hear a gun shot and that was the end. You saw nothing after...Ok...so maybe it ain't a good idea to tell them the truth. You can always resort to lieing, stealing, and many other strategic methods. Do whatever you can. It's your life. Not theirs.

Sup noobs.

I'd take their advice on it and find something that you want that they won't care about as much. Nothing worse than your mom or dad constantly complaining that you made a stupid decision or whenever they talk about your computer have that sound in their voice like they have a grudge against it...

Once I went out and bought something on the expensive side without consulting my parents first. Long story short, I brought it home and before I could even use it I found out that my parents were getting me one for Christmas. So I kind of spoiled my big gift and then I had to wait another 3 months before I got it, and the wait was horrible because I wanted it right then. So sometimes they have their reasons...

peterstretchfn5.gif

Rather than trying to find loopholes or clever ways to trick your parents, sit down and think about why they are saying "NO." They've known you your entire life--maybe you've squandered money in the past on material things you later are bored with. Or maybe you're too spontaneous and will soon find out that you don't need a new computer but rather you need to pay for school books. Or maybe you play the computer too much as it is and they are worried about you playing it more. ;)

I think this "persuasion" is something YOU have to come up with--not some random strangers who don't know a thing about you. We don't know you or your parents or your situation. The best thing to do is to think and talk with your parents about it. Maybe you can come up with some sort of compromise or at least an understanding of the situation.

sithbridgeay2.jpg

What're the reasons for the new computer? Because that $700 is a BIG HELP in college, whether you believe it or not. I'm sure that's what she's thinking.

Jeez, do you realise how boring you sound?

I'm getting old. -_-;

But hey, $700 = 2-3 quarters of books! I'd love to have $700! :wink:

Teaching and inspiring.

Rather than trying to find loopholes or clever ways to trick your parents, sit down and think about why they are saying "NO." They've known you your entire life--maybe you've squandered money in the past on material things you later are bored with. Or maybe you're too spontaneous and will soon find out that you don't need a new computer but rather you need to pay for school books. Or maybe you play the computer too much as it is and they are worried about you playing it more. ;)

I think this "persuasion" is something YOU have to come up with--not some random strangers who don't know a thing about you. We don't know you or your parents or your situation. The best thing to do is to think and talk with your parents about it. Maybe you can come up with some sort of compromise or at least an understanding of the situation.

I thought a lot of these parents that go on about $700 computers (you only got one 4 years ago!) are the ones that don't understand how fast computers get outdated. If thatÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢s the case you just need to point out that the computer roughly doubles in speed every 2 years so after 2 years is 1/2 as powerful, 4 years 1/4 and so forth etc. Hey you need to get a faster computer so Matlab takes less time solving math problems :wink:.

I wanted a ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã2000 pound new computer they went no ay so i threw my other one out the window and blamed it on my older bro and i got his one happy ending huh? :D

All that because you wanted them to spend ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã2000 on ONE computer? I'd have punched you in the face, even if you weren't my kid :?

phx.jpg

Gamertag: King Arizona

I wanted a ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã2000 pound new computer they went no ay so i threw my other one out the window and blamed it on my older bro and i got his one happy ending huh? :D

If I did that, I simply wouldn't have a computer to use for years. :roll:

Teaching and inspiring.

Guest AshKaYu

My 'rents would enroll me in Military school.

My 'rents would enroll me in Military school.

If I was his older brother I'd beat on him until he told my parents the truth.

just say your OLD pc cant handle all the work at uni and need a more powerful and more uptodate pc to do your work! that will change there mind.

thank got for this

"No, be honest and tell them the truth. You want the new computer to play runescape because your current comp can't even play runescape on high detail. It lags and you've died many times due to your slow computer. ."

well that has somthing to do with it

"Or like someone else said, throw your old one out a window " ah but there is a problem with that like the fact that i have never owned a computer in my life.

some1 said about the specs do you want the 1s from the realistic or my custom computer.

well realistic is probally about

3.06 ghz

512-1gig memory

160-200gig hdd

15-19 lcd moniter

802.11g with speedboost

2.0 speakers

a lot of room for improvement

oh and wintv too

dream:

3.2ghz

4gigs memory

400 gig hdd

20.1 lcd and 19 in lcd

graphics procesors for bolth

802.11 g with speed boost

2.1 speakers creative

wintv

2nd graphics card

3.06 ghz

512-1gig memory

160-200gig hdd

15-19 lcd moniter

802.11g with speedboost

2.0 speakers

oh and wintv too

I'm asuming you want Intel for the 3.06 ghz? (i'd go for a 2.4 AMD 64... better)

Anyways, for all that you do not have to pay ANYWHERE near $2000, you could get a setup like that for about 300-400 $, and throw in a good video card, say, PCI-E 6600GT or a X850 radeon, and you'll have a rocking machine for about 500-600$.

3.06 ghz

512-1gig memory

160-200gig hdd

15-19 lcd moniter

802.11g with speedboost

2.0 speakers

oh and wintv too

I'm asuming you want Intel for the 3.06 ghz? (i'd go for a 2.4 AMD 64... better)

Anyways, for all that you do not have to pay ANYWHERE near $2000, you could get a setup like that for about 300-400 $, and throw in a good video card, say, PCI-E 6600GT or a X850 radeon, and you'll have a rocking machine for about 500-600$.

Not quite that low.

Anyway, my parents let me spend my money as I please, not because I save up free money that I get from relatives, but because I work two part-time jobs and do my best, and the money I make is mine, and I didn't just get some check in the mail from a relative that says "Happy Birthday." I brought this point up with one of my friends and pointed out that I'd paid for pretty much everything in my room aside from my bed, shelf, clothes, and books, including my computer, monitor, printer, speaker system, etc, and he got all defensive and tried to say that he bought his own computer too, but that was because his birthday's in January and he got like $500 in total from Christmas and his birthday, and as such he didn't technically buy it, he just ordered it with somebody else's money.

If I was you I would think about what you would use your new computer for, and ask if your current computer cannot already do that. Unless you build it yourself (which I doubt you will), you can't get a high-end computer for $700, and Dell is not always the wisest choice for a few reasons. If you were going to get a computer, I'd suggest going to a local Best Buy and buying one of those super rebate computers that's $300 after rebate and then upgrading the memory and video card. We did that for my brother's computer and it worked pretty well.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"