9/16/15 - DarkScape

Omali

Dammit.  The one thing that I never much cared for suddenly looks very interesting to me.  It may be worth giving this a try.

On paper, I feel like this was the motivation that PvP worlds were going for.  Probably the best thing to do here was to give it a clean slate and force everyone to start fresh.

• Like 2

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

So, their solution for the ded pvp on RS3 is to create a new game for pvp lel.

Though I have to say the idea is good, forcing everyone to have a clean slate eliminates having someone with maxed gear camping noob spots.

Although in time it'll be unplayable for newcomers due to the big level gap. Hope they realize this and do something about it.

I do like the fact that the accounts are connected so no need to have a bunch of accounts to be able to do this. Now I wish they did something about RS3 PvP, most likely that duel anywhere thing they've mentioned seems to be a step in the right direction

I don't see that being a problem. New players can and should simply stick to low-risk areas until they get their stats high enough to venture farther out. There are level restrictions similar to the ones in the Wilderness so it's not like the entire map will just be a noob massacre.

However, there is one glaring flaw with this release: Legacy Mode. This honestly comes across to me as Jagex waving the white flag when it comes to EoC PvP. The fact that rather than releasing separate EoC and Legacy servers like we have for the live game they force everyone to use Legacy Mode shows how little faith they have in their own combat system when it comes to PvP. I hope this doesn't indicate that they've given up on balancing EoC for PvP combat.

Well the best places to train at low levels (AFAIK) are the trolls in the cave north of Burthorpe... and that cave is like a +/- 25 combat level difference. So whenever there were too many players hogging the trolls I'd just farm lower level players instead since they give more XP and they respawn right next to the cave entrance, ready to return for another whoopin' :lol:

The Lumbridge catacombs have no combat restrictions, so I'd just walk through there and mow down everybody in my path since it's better XP than killing the monsters inside lol.

At one point I was out of run energy from chasing so many noobs to their deaths. There was one guy left but he was running the wrong way in the catacombs, towards a dead end. So I was just slowly walking towards him like some kind of horror movie villain, till finally I caught up w/ him and killed him when he was backed into a corner. His last words were, "Why" :twisted:

feelsgoodman

The best exp afaik is to just move respawn to Falador, get a partner and start attacking eachother. With so many guards you both die instantly, each getting the exp for killing the other ..

Wow what a surprise! I'm so stoked to see they have actually kept something secret until launch! 

I'm not a big pker but will definitely have to check it out. Acting as a merchant moving things around zones sounds pretty exciting! =D 

• Like 1

@peterfisher

~ Proud member of Mystic Chaos~

http://runescape.podbean.com/e/runescape-darkscape/  podcast on it. Apparently it wasn't that resource intensive, it took a couple devs a few weeks. Also explains why they managed to keep it silent, didn't have long to hype it.

R.I.P. The olde nite. A legend is gone but not forgotten.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

http://runescape.podbean.com/e/runescape-darkscape/ podcast on it. Apparently it wasn't that resource intensive, it took a couple devs a few weeks. Also explains why they managed to keep it silent, didn't have long to hype it.

Fair enough, but then I'm still at a lack of understanding why their output has been so lax for so long.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

http://runescape.podbean.com/e/runescape-darkscape/ podcast on it. Apparently it wasn't that resource intensive, it took a couple devs a few weeks. Also explains why they managed to keep it silent, didn't have long to hype it.

Fair enough, but then I'm still at a lack of understanding why their output has been so lax for so long.

How else could they justify the loss of playerbase to the investors? "People aren't playing because you guys cut our resources for content creation" vs "we are out of touch"

mck.pngMck.png

Noobs: We pay we say

JaGeX: How much will you pay?

Actually I'm only going by the amount of employees they have now still being on par with recent years, but the steady decline of the volume of content as well as, in my opinion, the quality of content, I.e. concept, mechanics, graphics recycling, etc.

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

Actually I'm only going by the amount of employees they have now still being on par with recent years, but the steady decline of the volume of content as well as, in my opinion, the quality of content, I.e. concept, mechanics, graphics recycling, etc.

I think part of the problem is that they've been overly ambitious. They want better looking graphics, they want huge projects, etc. But they don't really have enough people for these huge projects, so they take up a lot of dev time and then fall short. The Tuska Event was a great example of this, that obviously took a lot of work, but was still lacking in so many areas because to fully do it right they needed even more. They could have done it simpler and either had it as a quest or had a relatively smaller event and done it well enough, but they stretched too far. Same with Mazcab I think. They could have just done a small area with Mazcab, added a boss or two, reduced the dev costs but still had the project work well and seem to be a quality project for what it was. But instead they expanded by adding a bunch of area and two villages where not much happens yet, so its less focused and kinda meh at the moment.

I'm hoping quality will go up when they drop back the number of updates since they won't feel rushed to at least put something out. We'll see how it goes though.

a Faction Related Item Sink for Rune Labs. https://[LikelyScam]/m=player-proposal/a=13/c=VcG-Ir5Ijno/view-idea?idea=19

Dammit.  The one thing that I never much cared for suddenly looks very interesting to me.  It may be worth giving this a try.

On paper, I feel like this was the motivation that PvP worlds were going for.  Probably the best thing to do here was to give it a clean slate and force everyone to start fresh.

I completely agree. A hybrid of pure nostalgia and new mechanics. Like crack. I think I'm part of the target audience.

so there's this thread in p2p general called "the most annoying things ppl do on runescape" i am tempted to post "ya wen im cybering with a girl and they log off for no reason"

I think they were saying they didn't intend to add highscores, since they didn't want maxing out to be the main point of the game. 

Yeah having +50% exp for nonmembers (and +100% for members) and free membership, fresh economy and whatnot totally doesn't bring another type of players.

I see only the occasional 1-item retard (some idiot forgot to activate protect item yesterday, got myself obby maul) the rest of the "PvP"ers are just grinding at Seers (thank God)

Well, it's more that they're providing a pool of victims. Like every other PvP update.

However, the key difference is that it's established that the entire game is PvP from the start, and that everybody's scrambling out from roughly the same circumstances, which means that even with different goals, all players understand what they're getting into.

• Like 1

8f14270694.jpg

So, I had intended to give this a try this Thursday, since I have some down time before heading out to Boston, but I've discovered that you absolutely require the RS client to play it.  I don't see a way around this.

This wouldn't be that big of a deal, and considering I've been on Linux full-time for the last eight years, I'm accustomed to not getting much of anything for games.  But...I've at least been capable of playing RuneScape in that period of time.  Wonder what changed.

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.