9/16/15 - DarkScape

Omali

So, I had intended to give this a try this Thursday, since I have some down time before heading out to Boston, but I've discovered that you absolutely require the RS client to play it.  I don't see a way around this.

This wouldn't be that big of a deal, and considering I've been on Linux full-time for the last eight years, I'm accustomed to not getting much of anything for games.  But...I've at least been capable of playing RuneScape in that period of time.  Wonder what changed.

You can play in browser using this link: http://world202.runescape.com/

• Like 1

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!

So, I had intended to give this a try this Thursday, since I have some down time before heading out to Boston, but I've discovered that you absolutely require the RS client to play it.  I don't see a way around this.

This wouldn't be that big of a deal, and considering I've been on Linux full-time for the last eight years, I'm accustomed to not getting much of anything for games.  But...I've at least been capable of playing RuneScape in that period of time.  Wonder what changed.

It may be just me, but I get a 404 on that link on both Chrome and FF?

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

Not you, I also get that.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

world202 was normally for beta worlds no?

Fun fact though, for the DarkScape client, it uses jav_config_beta.ws

Speaking of it, what happened to beta client? I thought they'd be keeping them up indefinitely to keep testing new features every time.

They dropped browser support on FF and Chrome a while back, I think. You have to get the client to play, there should be a Linux version out there somewhere!

From what I recall, Chrome removed NPAPI support (which removed the Java plugin), and Firefox hasn't done so yet.  I'm still able to play through Firefox, but if that's not supported...that's not a good thing.

Hmm...I don't suppose any of this might help?

There's some bitter irony to that.  I used to maintain that Linux help thread (in general), and I intentionally never wanted to make a client since, at the time, there were still a lot of players and there was still a lot of concern around third party clients and their use.   The convention has been, of late, to recommend the use of the clients, which is something I'm opposed to.  If that's the only option, though...I guess I ain't playing DarkScape. :(

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

It appears they recently changed fixed that link.

There goes my way of playing.

-Sobend

Proud to be free from the tyranny of pants. Hurrah!

I think it's because they took world 202 offline, 200 is still up afaik.

You're right, that one works! :thumbsup:

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

World 200 worked out for me in-browser.  Thanks for that!  I was worried there.

So you're going to be disappointed at not being able to play DarkScape because you chose not to install RSU client.

Well, I shouldn't have to.  It's still Java in a browser, and Firefox still supports it on Linux.  Why should I use an unofficial method if a more official method exists?

• Like 1

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

I can't judge the game since I haven't tried it yet (will try sooner or later).

But.. What about the community? This is like their 5th RuneScape? Expanding has it's advantages on attracting new players, but shouldn't they be focusing on uniting the community instead of dividing it even more?

Just my thoughts. I hope it will be succesful for them though.

hokuspokus.png

Do not lose heart, fight for even the smallest hope. Do not give quarter to the forces of evil. Pursuit kindness and embrace love.

Pvp has never really been my thing so I doubt I'll try it anytime soon. I'm an avid RS3 player (never made it off Tutorial Island on OSRS) so once I get Comp then maybe I might try Darkscape. 

I'm not a fan of pvp, at all.. but watching some videos on darkscape, people with t70 weapons basically can 2 or 3 hit ANYONE. It is a bit stupid.

Prefer old school combat over eoc-legacy mode

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

Congratulations Stev! Hard work and legitimate gameplay are severely unappreciated these days  :rolleyes: .

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

How is this game mode?

I haven't played in quite a few years now, the only content I enjoyed were Dungeoneering and PvM are both dead? 200m grinds don't appeal to me whatsoever.

Surprised if anyone remembers me here :)

smellysockssigbyblfazer.png

Dungeoneering doesn't exist in DarkScape either :P ...

Sounds like my type of game. Will definitely give it a try soon!

hokuspokus.png

Do not lose heart, fight for even the smallest hope. Do not give quarter to the forces of evil. Pursuit kindness and embrace love.