What happened to these forums?

swagcake

• 2 weeks later...

Eh. Even though Tip.It might not be as popular as it used to be, I personally don't plan on leaving ever. This was my "home" when I started playing at almost the very beginning and it still is. There were a lot of other sites such as Tip.It; Like rune HQ, rune wiki etc. But Tip.It was the one that really touched my heart somehow.

That being said, it hurts a bit to see the site being so quiet. There are many ways the site can be improved, such as updating the database more frequently and hosting Tip.It events in-game more often and keeping our relationship with JaGex closer are all advantages we should pursuit. However I've done that all and I admit it's not easy and it takes a lot of dedication, something not all of us have anymore. We have work, and families now. And as someone said in this thread, we don't attract new players as well as we used to. So problem is there's not enough people to look after the site to properly shout to the world that Tip.It is still alive with a sound beating heart.

Another problem is the game itself. I personally lost interest with EoC. Then I came back, but I just never could get over the unfair game-play on playing on legacy mode. The new combat system was ridiculously OP and some of the content of the game demands you to have it, which sucks. Another letdown were the thaler system with the minigames, ruining all the fun.

And if players don't play the game anymore, they have little reason to visit the Tip.It website, that's the cold truth.

Still, we've made it this far. The website is still here, it's not deleted or anything. So there is still hope on making that comeback. It just requires a lot of work from a lot of people. Teamwork is the way to glory. And I one day intend to return yet again, to help the site grow. And I'm sure many others are eager to return as well, but real life has it's own toll.

hokuspokus.png

Do not lose heart, fight for even the smallest hope. Do not give quarter to the forces of evil. Pursuit kindness and embrace love.

With the wiki around, I don't think the main website is relevant at all anymore honestly.

A few dedicated editors cannot hope to compete against hundreds and thousands of people who immediately add and update any new information to the wiki pages. The people claiming that the wiki is shit and full of wrong information are grossly over-exaggerating (sure, "anyone can edit it", but aside from drop rates and xp rates everything is easily verifiable in-game and for every invalid piece of information, there will be someone fixing it.)

What the wiki doesn't have, is a decent forum. As far as I'm aware they have some kind of semblance of forum which is needlessly hard to find and access (willing to bet most people aren't even aware of it), and even then they're basically wiki talk pages... the format is horrible.

People like Reddit because everyone knows about Reddit, and its format makes it easy to just find the newest thing that's popular at the time, but... Reddit really does not work well at all as an actual forum.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think the main Tip.It website is really worth the effort anymore. At least not the database part of it; the calculators are awesome and really easy to use, those are definitely worth focusing on.

Perhaps we need to advertise the forum a bit more. Not by spamming the url everywhere and telling everyone to visit it, but word of mouth can go a long way; telling friends and clan mates, there might be people who just aren't aware of most fansite forums because they never really bothered looking past Reddit.

With the wiki around, I don't think the main website is relevant at all anymore honestly.

A few dedicated editors cannot hope to compete against hundreds and thousands of people who immediately add and update any new information to the wiki pages. The people claiming that the wiki is shit and full of wrong information are grossly over-exaggerating (sure, "anyone can edit it", but aside from drop rates and xp rates everything is easily verifiable in-game and for every invalid piece of information, there will be someone fixing it.)

What the wiki doesn't have, is a decent forum. As far as I'm aware they have some kind of semblance of forum which is needlessly hard to find and access (willing to bet most people aren't even aware of it), and even then they're basically wiki talk pages... the format is horrible.

People like Reddit because everyone knows about Reddit, and its format makes it easy to just find the newest thing that's popular at the time, but... Reddit really does not work well at all as an actual forum.

I'm sorry to say, but I don't think the main Tip.It website is really worth the effort anymore. At least not the database part of it; the calculators are awesome and really easy to use, those are definitely worth focusing on.

Perhaps we need to advertise the forum a bit more. Not by spamming the url everywhere and telling everyone to visit it, but word of mouth can go a long way; telling friends and clan mates, there might be people who just aren't aware of most fansite forums because they never really bothered looking past Reddit.

I agree with this. Although, I feel like the tip.it community should focus on the forum aspects of Tip.it.

I don't think Tip.it can compete with RSWiki

I feel like anonymity is partially to blame for the deaths of forums as well. It used to be a bannable offense on RS just to ask where someone lived. Drastically different now. It's not just tip.it, from what I've seen most forums across all usage types are dead. I never got into reddit, but between facebook, instagram, youtube, twitch, and other messaging platforms that allow people to talk instantly without texting.

That and the speed at which people communicate makes people's interest in having conversations over hours/days drop off.

Personally, it was also the direction RS3 went in that killed tip.it forums for me. I do love oldschool and play it regularly. One person on my friends list lol.

I am not a skiller, but i do some skills.

rcwar1st.gifconwar3rd.gifwcdec2nd.gifskillwar2nd.gif

Spring2008slaycompsig.png

Yeah that's true. A few Pokémon communities I used to hang out around years ago, was really lively at the time, if I check now they've both considerably slowed down. Not dead, but not nearly as active as before, even though Pokémon is one of those series that really hasn't died down much in popularity.

The fan-site aspect of the site is hopelessly outmoded and obsoleted by things such as Wiki, and there's really no point in trying to compete on that front - that's just evolution. Still, the forums, the community, the friends' chat are all worthwhile, and should be preserved. Perhaps the main-page can simply be mothballed for historical purposes.

Ok the fact that the wiki is more useful explains why the site itself isn't as popular as it used to be. But why aren't the forums being used?

I don't know about you but I find using forums to have conversations a lot more comfortable than discussing things on sites like Facebook and Twitter, because on those sites your comments are hard to find as they'll likely be buried under a mountain of replies to a facebook status for example. At the top of that it's inconvenient to browse through replies on a site like that.

In a forum you can find the posts by looking manually through the page, and they are also easier to find since all discussions are sorted by the topic name and that stuff.

I do find it hard to believe that sites like Facebook have somehow replaced forums since like I said forums are more comfortable.

Traditional forums are indeed vastly superior to mediums like Reddit and other social media in various ways. The problem is that social media is colossally more popular than forums, and forums such as Tip.It which were reliant on a robust main page to draw people in to the forums, don't have an equivalent way to draw in people. Also, a lot of people have either quit and moved on with their lives, or they don't bother visiting the Forums after getting their fix from Reddit, as it were, so there's that too. So there's no new blood to the Forums, and people gradually leaving, and no newbies to replenish and revitalize the forums, which brings us to the state we're in.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I'd drop by here to check out the discussions on the updates to the game in the time since I left only to find this place mostly abandoned. No replies to update threads, only four pages of discussion for the release of a new skill. It's sad, and really unsettling to see. Really all there is to do now is fondly remember the good times had here years ago. I wish all of you tiffers the best, and if we one day run into each other in any other avenue of life just know that somewhere in my soul I'm saying HYT.

• Like 1

Previously known as Monkeybeast0.

Walkman1022.jpeg

• 1 month later...

I have returned after a long absence and am upset by the activity here, it used to be full of people and conversations. I hope that one day, it will be bustling again.

• Like 1

Old 'Scaper - returned * Former TET Leader * Council of Elders Member * Confirmed Scaredy Cat * Mother of 6 * Quester * Friend to many

saskia_snow.png

I still care about RuneScape and I come back here, not to necessarily post, but to read good posts.

It is so rare now and I still find that frustrating. Seriously when the hell will people post in the rants and suggestions forum again?

I'm upset that the graphics forums are dead :( I loved those forums

Old 'Scaper - returned * Former TET Leader * Council of Elders Member * Confirmed Scaredy Cat * Mother of 6 * Quester * Friend to many

saskia_snow.png

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have returned after a long absence and am upset by the activity here, it used to be full of people and conversations. I hope that one day, it will be bustling again.

Same here, used to be such an active forum lol. Doubt it'll ever be as crowded as back in the day though.

Hope nobody minds me asking but is there actually still an active RS forum? 

Some people dream of success, while others make it happen.

Same here, used to be such an active forum lol. Doubt it'll ever be as crowded as back in the day though.

Hope nobody minds me asking but is there actually still an active RS forum? 

Not really, there's this, Zybez, etc. but most are roughly the same status or simply deserted.

"Fight for what you believe in, and believe in what you're fighting for." Can games be art?

---

cWCZMZO.png

l1M6sfb.png

My blog here if you want to check out my Times articles and other writings! I always appreciate comments/feedback.

I still feel very sad that this place is deserted.

I'm not gonna leave RuneScape since I love that game. And the fact that it's one of my favorite games is exactly the reason why the biggest RS community being so deserted saddens me.

Is NOTHING we can do to make it lively again? There has to be something we can do.

I'm not gonna leave RuneScape since I love that game. And the fact that it's one of my favorite games is exactly the reason why the biggest RS community being so deserted saddens me.

Is NOTHING we can do to make it lively again? There has to be something we can do.

There isn't anything to be done really. It's not like tip.it forums are dying and nothing else is.

Forums are a dying breed full stop.

Every fan site, every game, every forum out there is in a similar situation as the world is moving on.

The forum as a concept has had its glory day and now social media and reddit are taking the fore.

There's no point trying to cling on to it and force it to carry on, you just have to move with the times and realise nothing can last forever and as something birthed is the 90s (mostly) the forum has done quite well as a format. It's outlived Myspace, Bebo, MSN, AOL etc.

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

There isn't anything to be done really. It's not like tip.it forums are dying and nothing else is.

Every fan site, every game, every forum out there is in a similar situation as the world is moving on.

The forum as a concept has had its glory day and now social media and reddit are taking the fore.

There's no point trying to cling on to it and force it to carry on, you just have to move with the times and realise nothing can last forever and as something birthed is the 90s (mostly) the forum has done quite well as a format. It's outlived Myspace, Bebo, MSN, AOL etc.

Yeah, you're right.

At the plus side videos on RuneScape are easy to find on YouTube. I'll just stick with that.

But still though, I do feel sad about how deserted this place has become. But I will learn to deal with that, it won't be an easy task, but eventually I will.

Forums still have their place, more to discuss topics in depth rather than just discussing what's happening at that moment.  Forum topics have a much longer life span than a reddit post and that has some merit, it's just about tuning your forum to that niche. But there is still a lot less appetite for that now than their used to be.

Tip.It hasn't been helped by the fact that the website is dead, if the website was still going strong than that'd mean there'd be more activity here (albeit not a huge amount, but still more than now). Tip.It did not adapt when the Wiki came along and that's what killed it. A lot of staff stopped playing the game and they weren't replaced, I mean look at how many of the current staff still play the game, not a lot. I think there's about two admins even who are still actively playing the game (maybe even only one?). Out of all the current crew members it's been over a month since a single one of them logged into the forum! The Moderator/Crew Leader hasn't logged in for over a year too.

This site needed people who still cared about the game in charge but that didn't happen. As they stopped playing the game those people stayed in charge instead of doing what those before them did when they stopped playing the game - step down and let others take control. 

• Like 2

Forums still have their place, more to discuss topics in depth rather than just discussing what's happening at that moment.  Forum topics have a much longer life span than a reddit post and that has some merit, it's just about tuning your forum to that niche. But there is still a lot less appetite for that now than their used to be.

Tip.It hasn't been helped by the fact that the website is dead, if the website was still going strong than that'd mean there'd be more activity here (albeit not a huge amount, but still more than now). Tip.It did not adapt when the Wiki came along and that's what killed it. A lot of staff stopped playing the game and they weren't replaced, I mean look at how many of the current staff still play the game, not a lot. I think there's about two admins even who are still actively playing the game (maybe even only one?). Out of all the current crew members it's been over a month since a single one of them logged into the forum! The Moderator/Crew Leader hasn't logged in for over a year too.

This site needed people who still cared about the game in charge but that didn't happen. As they stopped playing the game those people stayed in charge instead of doing what those before them did when they stopped playing the game - step down and let others take control.

I am not certain what I can tell, but things are a lot more complex than that. What I can tell you is that we tried our hardest on doing exactly just that. Main problem with us versus the Wikia is, they can do it a lot faster as they use the power of the many. That is the very nature of the Wikia. You wouldn't believe how much work even a small update brings. Would it be possible to add them in a timely manner? Sure, but that would compromise our personal lives a lot. That doesn't mean that we don't care about the game anymore, far from it. We just aren't the teenagers anymore with a plethora of time to work on these things. Life happens. I myself am working on a Masters degree, which sometimes require me to be focusing an entire month on it without playing the game. Most of the forum base are at either studying at college or university, or working at a job as well.

There are a lot more things that all add-up to the state that we are in here now. And it isn't only us. Every RS forum shares the same fate, even the RSOF has taken a huge hit in the past few years. It isn't even restricted to RS forums. There are only a handful of forums that actually works. What do they do differently? Not much, just the luck of the draw.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, 'Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous?' Actually, who are you not to be?~ Marianne Williamson

For account help/issues, please follow this link:

Account Help

. If you need further assistance, do not hesitate to PM me or post here.

even the RSOF has taken a huge hit in the past few years

Yeah but RSOF has always sucked lol

Most of what contributed to it sucking and dying off quickly is because the site's layout is horrible and Jagex never bothered trying to make their forums pleasant to use. The fansite forums use much better forum software. :P

Nowadays though main reason why forums die off is because of reddit. Already been talked about in previous pages, but why bother with forums when you can make a quick username on reddit where thousands of other people are and browse through dozens of thread quicker than you'd read through one regular forums thread?

The main tip.it website is irrelevant now and imo it's not worth keeping up to date anymore outside of the calculators. It wouldn't be worth it, the info already exists elsewhere, there is no incentive for anyone to start using tip.it for runescape news and information over reading main RS page/reddit, or using the wiki for the latter. Calculators already bring people to tip.it website, if they don't find the link to the forums from there or they simply aren't interested in the forums I don't think the rest of the website will either tbh. Best way to bring in more people would be via word of mouth, finding like-minded people who are interested in regular forums over reddit.