Jagex to be acquired by Chinese mining company...

Wkw

Runescape player since 2005
Ego Sum Deus Quo Malum Caligo et Barathum

you mean having shareholders from being the same guys who [bleep]ed over nexon wasn't bad enough?

E: Kaur has pointed out an inaccuracy in this statement which I have corrected. thanks m8!

6Ij0n.jpg

In real life MMO you don't get 99 smithing by making endless bronze daggers.

I want to cry.

Every game I've ever played that was passed into the hands of these essentially strip-mining (no puns intended) companies has gone down the shitter in a massive way. I really sincerely hope this doesn't go through, but I've resigned myself to cancelling my subscription at the first sight of ridiculous shit.

• Like 1

hzvjpwS.gif

IVP either owned or had majority share in Nexon, makers of Maplestory. They held the majority shares for Jagex as well a little bit ago. I don't know if they still do.

Yes, but nexon being a shareholder of Jagex? Saradomin Mage is on drugs again? Poor guy.

I suppose I'm nonplussed about this.  That is, I'm not entirely convinced that this is something that people immediately need to get up in arms in.

Maybe if this sort of thing were done five or six years ago, back when Jagex really was looking tall and proud, then perhaps this would sound some alarm bells.  This would align with the near timeline that SoF was introduced into the game and the sudden rush of microtransactions that the game has become flushed with.

But primarily, I'm not entirely sure what could come of it.

It could be a wonderful and merciful thing in that Jagex can finally have a successful game that isn't RuneScape.  Studios that are relatively one-dimensional don't survive all that long, and for Jagex to have done so for so long is nothing short of impressive.  Every other platform they've attempted has crumbled in spectacular fashion, and if a new owner can get the game studio to that next step, then that'd be amazing.

It could be a terrible and devastating thing that sends the game into active disrepair.  I would say something along the lines of, "introduces X bad thing", but c'mon, we've already got microtransactions, higher fees for Membership, active playership is already at an all-time low, there are multiple versions of the game active...What else is there to take besides maintenance?

But we've got to identify that a company being bought out is how the industry works, and has been how the industry has worked for a very, very long time.  It could be good, or it could be bad, but the one thing that I believe to be certain is, it's too early to react to anything being thrown around outside of concrete details.

...This means that the MassivelyOp article is horribly skewed.  It hasn't been sold off yet, but they're in early talks.

• Like 1

Linux User/Enthusiast Full-Stack Software Engineer | Stack Overflow Member | GIMP User
s1L0U.jpg
...Alright, the Elf City update lured me back to RS over a year ago.

At this stage I don't know if it really matters. The process of the game being milked until it's teets fall off will continue.

• Like 1

Back after a 5 year TIF hiatus. Please don't mind me too much.

I tend to be leery about corporate takeovers. A lot of companies have gone to hell after being bought out. Here are just a few examples:

• AT&T raised membership fees for and censored parts of the ImagiNation Network after buying it from Sierra On-Line. AOL began shutting down the service almost immediately after buying it from AT&T.
  • MySpace became an extremely crappy website after it was bought out by Specific Media and Justin Timberlake.
  • The once-respected Formspring became spammers after being acquired by Twoo.
  • Yahoo! killed off the Games Domain brand less than 18 months after buying it.
The list goes on.

I'm also concerned that the new company may pressure Jagex to not punish gold farmers given the amount of RWT that originates from Asian countries.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Wow, I don't know what to think of this... Chinese business practice is very different for games than their western counterparts. Just look at Jagex's published War of Legends game: http://www.waroflegends.com/

melos2_zpsjnpxw8yx.jpg
"To do all that one is able to do, is to be a man; to do all that one would like to do, is to be a god." - Napoleon I

At this stage I don't know if it really matters. The process of the game being milked until it's teets fall off will continue.

You make some of the best posts on here lol.  Always make me chuckle 

peever142.png

You make some of the best posts on here lol. Always make me chuckle
That's because my posts are awesome hyperbole and its usually spot on in my opinion.

So saying things like I'm glad this has happened so that this my be the pillow over the face mercy killing the game needs or that the seeds have been in place for years already and this takeover is the bright sunny day and pail of water it needs to fully grow?

I was a beta tester for Maplestory. (Still got the mark of the beta cap, SCRUBLORD/falsesuperiority) It was never particularly phenomenal, but it was a damn lot better than the shit it is now.

So then I guess there really is a parallel between that game and Runescape. :p