Gotta love US obesity laws....

Nadril

When my high school went to the "healthy eating" range at the school cantine or whatnot, they found that 90% of their profits suddenly vanished to local cafe's and whatnot :lol:

Only took them a week to reverse the changes to how it used to be.

Yeah, i'm sure that's why my school would never touch our fries, they account for like 80% of the profits in the lunchroom :lol:.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schools should be allowed to sell whatever kind of food students are willing to buy. However, obesity can indeed become a problem. The solution to this problem is, in my opinion, to serve free food for every student. This free daily meal should be healthy and produced at a very low cost. This should be funded by taxes.

Yeah, providing such a service costs. However, I am absolutely convinced that it is cheaper than having to deal with the health problems that will appear if people eat junk food every day.

Guest GhostRanger
Schools should be allowed to sell whatever kind of food students are willing to buy. However, obesity can indeed become a problem. The solution to this problem is, in my opinion, to serve free food for every student. This free daily meal should be healthy and produced at a very low cost. This should be funded by taxes.

Yeah, providing such a service costs. However, I am absolutely convinced that it is cheaper than having to deal with the health problems that will appear if people eat junk food every day.

Public schools are a government facility. Do you suggest that the government take advantage of kids who don't care about their health and advocate unhealthy behavior just because it "makes more money?"

I could see something like this being done in a elementry or middle school, but common, a high school? A majority of people in it are 16+ of age.

I mean, I can see trying to get kids to eat healthy in elementry/middle school, but in high school they shouldn't not sell stuff because they are afraid of kid's getting fat. My school offer's plenty of "healthy" choices (fat free ice creams / chips and snacks and stuff, salads /ect.) but they shouldn't take away the un-healthy stuff (which some of it isn't even unhealthy par-say. Common, a small bag of chips or little thing of ice cream? May not be the same as eating a salad, but for some of us a little bit of chips or whatever isn't going to hurt, and may help a bit.

They are trying to do this type of thing in Scottish schools I think. I'm glad I got out before then though.

I dunno about America but here there are always ice cream vans parked outside the schools waiting for the hungry kids who want to eat some real food.

Personally I think it is the parent's job to keep their kids healthy, not the schools, especially younger kids. Some of them just don't think about it.

sig2ho7.jpg

Guest AshKaYu

Here, they make us exercise on these machines for 20 minutes+take away our chips, soda, and COOKIES. Nobody in my school is obese. Nobody. Period. We have 300 students, and yeah, I know. Also they charge twice as much for cheese, crackers, apples+ water then they do for(respectively) chocolate bars, suckers, chips and pop.

yea, at my school we can't even have Little Debbie stuff like [garden tool]-Hos but it doesn't really matter anyway because once people go home everyone pigs out and takes a nap anyway, people wil do what they want to

As far as I know, my school is keeping all of the soda machines and ice cream and chips. Just because it's there doesnt mean I'm going to gorge on ice cream and chips. I only get a bag of chips every now and then. There definately shouldnt be a law against this. People should be able to eat what they want.

Guest GhostRanger
As far as I know, my school is keeping all of the soda machines and ice cream and chips. Just because it's there doesnt mean I'm going to gorge on ice cream and chips. I only get a bag of chips every now and then. There definately shouldnt be a law against this. People should be able to eat what they want.

I agree with what I bolded.

So before there were snack machines was the school not allowing people to eat what they want? Of course not. Just because the school isn't selling it doesn't mean you can't eat it. My school has recently taken away Gatorade from the drink selection because they didn't think it was healthy (it has been replaced with some different flavored waters). I happen to like Gatorade a lot, so I bring Gatorade from home to drink. Just because the school isn't selling it, doesn't mean I can't drink it.

Public schools are a government facility. Do you suggest that the government take advantage of kids who don't care about their health and advocate unhealthy behavior just because it "makes more money?"

Yes and no. Yes, I believe schools should "take advantage" of kids wanting to purchase unhealthy food by letting them do so. But no, it should not be done because of profit but because we should not decide for them what they should eat. Offering an alternative is one thing, taking steps to prevent people from being able to consume unhealthy food is another. Supporting a decision to remove unhealthy food from vending machines et cetera in schools by arguing that it can be circumvented by purchasing it outside of school is ridiculous. If the very idea of a rule is that if you want to avoid it you can it should not exist in the first place.

The whole whoever-sells-junk-food-is-at-fault-thing is idiotic beyond words. People can choose what they want to eat themselves, there is no need to do it for them, even though it is necesary to offer an alternative to junkfood. Besides, the people who fail at making these choices were probably meant to be taken out by natural selection anyways. The option of self-destructiveness is essential to real freedom.

Guest GhostRanger

Yes and no. Yes, I believe schools should "take advantage" of kids wanting to purchase unhealthy food by letting them do so. But no, it should not be done because of profit but because we should not decide for them what they should eat. Offering an alternative is one thing, taking steps to prevent people from being able to consume unhealthy food is another. Supporting a decision to remove unhealthy food from vending machines et cetera in schools by arguing that it can be circumvented by purchasing it outside of school is ridiculous. If the very idea of a rule is that if you want to avoid it you can it should not exist in the first place.

The whole whoever-sells-junk-food-is-at-fault-thing is idiotic beyond words. People can choose what they want to eat themselves, there is no need to do it for them, even though it is necesary to offer an alternative to junkfood. Besides, the people who fail at making these choices were probably meant to be taken out by natural selection anyways. The option of self-destructiveness is essential to real freedom.

I'm not saying that whoever sells is at fault. I'm talking about whether or not we want the government advocating the consumption of unhealthy food at our schools. By not selling it, they government avoids advocating it but that doesn't mean they are telling people what they can eat. Just because the school doesn't sell it, doesn't mean you can't eat it. If we don't let schools sell unhealthhy food, its not deciding for kids what they should eat as you suggest, but instead, its avoiding the advocation of food that is unarguably unhealthy.

I'm not saying that whoever sells is at fault. I'm talking about whether or not we want the government advocating the consumption of unhealthy food at our schools. By not selling it, they government avoids advocating it but that doesn't mean they are telling people what they can eat. Just because the school doesn't sell it, doesn't mean you can't eat it. If we don't let schools sell unhealthhy food, its not deciding for kids what they should eat as you suggest, but instead, its avoiding the advocation of food that is unarguably unhealthy.

Fair enough, I'll simply agree to disagree then.

yea they got rid of that stuff in my schools a few years ago....

but now im in high school so we just go off campus and buy junk food from stores!!! and its cheaper anyway :wink:

My school too... My computer teacher always keeps a big stock of Coke And Reeses that we can buy and pig out on during class :D. Most of my friends dont eat anything during the school day and then pig out on junk food when they get home so it's not like what our school is doing is having any effect :roll:. I think we should have control over what we eat and not the schools, that way they can blame us when we get fat 8)

yea they got rid of that stuff in my schools a few years ago....

but now im in high school so we just go off campus and buy junk food from stores!!! and its cheaper anyway :wink:

My school too... My computer teacher always keeps a big stock of Coke And Reeses that we can buy and pig out on during class :D. Most of my friends dont eat anything during the school day and then pig out on junk food when they get home so it's not like what our school is doing is having any effect :roll:. I think we should have control over what we eat and not the schools, that way they can blame us when we get fat 8)

We do the same thing being a Day and Bording School (I am not a border) we have a cafeteria we eat at which serves a vast range of healthy to greasy food. The bad thing about that is that we don't have a Canteen open to buy Junkfood from because we have a School Cafeteria. So we have to go to the nearby shop after school to stock up. :(

My school's policy is no vending machines in the common rooms (just water machines) and the refectory doesn't sell fizzy drinks. Apart from that you can get like these huge bags of Haribo after school :D

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Its a good thing. Theres far too many overweight kids in grade school (ages 5-10) these days, it just gets worse the older they get.

I didnt read the entire thread, but in the majority of the posts i read it seems a lot of you actually underestimate just how bad and how much weight retention soda can actually cause. i remember back seeing cnn about 4 years ago or so and the reporter was doing something on soda and said that the sugers in soda, for just 1 or 2 cans a day, is about the equivalent of 5 lbs a year. so if you could cut out 1 can a day, you'd lose 5 lbs in a year.

so a few years ago i made an effort to totally eliminate soda from my diet and see what would happen. i switched to water instead. i use to go through a 2 liter soda in a few days max, usually a day. when i switched to water i'd drink roughly a gallon a day, maybe more. that was the only lifestyle change i made. i didnt change what else i ate, or how often i exercised, or anything like that, and i had some pretty dramatic and staggering results in amount of weight loss (you want more details fire me a pm). i really couldnt believe that soda could have had that much impact but clearly it must have if thats the only variable change.

Guest AshKaYu

Yeah, that's true. One of my friends did some research, and soda counts for roughly 35-50% of our calorie/sugar intake.

thats a state thing, because i havent heard of that before(maybe in elementary schools)

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

Its a good thing. Theres far too many overweight kids in grade school (ages 5-10) these days, it just gets worse the older they get.

I didnt read the entire thread, but in the majority of the posts i read it seems a lot of you actually underestimate just how bad and how much weight retention soda can actually cause. i remember back seeing cnn about 4 years ago or so and the reporter was doing something on soda and said that the sugers in soda, for just 1 or 2 cans a day, is about the equivalent of 5 lbs a year. so if you could cut out 1 can a day, you'd lose 5 lbs in a year.

so a few years ago i made an effort to totally eliminate soda from my diet and see what would happen. i switched to water instead. i use to go through a 2 liter soda in a few days max, usually a day. when i switched to water i'd drink roughly a gallon a day, maybe more. that was the only lifestyle change i made. i didnt change what else i ate, or how often i exercised, or anything like that, and i had some pretty dramatic and staggering results in amount of weight loss (you want more details fire me a pm). i really couldnt believe that soda could have had that much impact but clearly it must have if thats the only variable change.

It's great for an elementry school, but i'm a senior... in high school. I don't think I need to be told how to eat.

I think it's all about what stuff people feed their kids at an early age. I never ate anything sweet like ice-cream or sweets until I was 5 or 6 (says my mum) I was always fed fruit instead. I don't like sweets at all now (aged 19) and instead just eat fruit, not because I'm concious of what I eat but because I like the stuff.

Signiture1-1.gif

99 Magic, 99 Defence, 99 Strength, 99 Attack, 99 Hitpoints, 99 Fletching, 99 Woodcutting, 99 Firemaking, 99 Thieving, 99 Ranged, 99 Prayer, 99 Cooking, 99 Fishing

Guest AshKaYu

Hmmm . . . I eat junk food all the time, (big turks, all the time lol, popcorn on weekends, potato chips sometimes) but I'm physhically fit, because of sports. Instead of taking away the bad, why don't they make a kid join a team of something, I mean, there are like, 10 sports available at my school throughout the year, why don't they have intermurals(such and such's class vs so-and-so's class) and sports and stuff?

Personally I think one of the problems with this is that what the schools have just don't cut it. I'm in highschool and yet the school meal servings are the same size as that of the rest of the grades in the town. One of those school meals might be fine for a kindergardener, but not someone older. The quality of school meals aren't even good. What do people expect will happen if there is no alternative to eatting fatty foods. Buying one bad, small school meal costs the same as a filling amount of fatty goods so guess what many people do.

Thats why I usually bring my food. It gets boring, but it is better and cheaper.

The other big issue I have with this is why does the government think they can do this. Children's rights are slowly getting smaller. (Along with that of other people too.) I mean back 20 or 30 years ago, kids could go to a nearby store to get stuff to fiddle around with. Stuff like engines, electrical components, and fuel. These days if you want to build something it comes in this little fancy kit and no thinking or creativeness is involved. Sorry that that is somewhat off topic though.

PDM

PDM

Well, for now they have been fine. However, a new law passed a little ago made it so that schools can no longer sell items such as Ice Cream, chips cookies or anything else that might be unhealthy.

Cookies and ice cream makes you unhealthy? Well thats news to me