There's a problem with Multi-Logging

aqua_dragons

ok, I made this its own thread because there are many topics about this and they are all spread out and I want this issue to be discussed on indiviually. If a mod disagrees, then go ahead and lock it. I put it in General P2P because the paying customers have more power, respectfully, with their words, thoughts, and actions.

SO... I completely agree family's sharing routers and getting banned is a problem. They are meant to interact, that's what makes this game awesome. But how can you prove this?

I have 3 computers in my room. I have 7 computers permanently set up in my household and even more being put on and taken off (my mother fixes computers for money on the side and for friends).

I even have 2 routers in the house with different IP's, one wireless and one not. I could get away with it. But I think it would be cheating, and its hard to prove that you aren't... which is true. Right now I am fletching, on my laptop which is wireless and would could sit by side another computer and I could easily woodcut. but that would be cheating.

What is Jagex suppose to do about this? Have some system where you apply for multiple users in one household? I don't have a solution... Neither does Jagex. Even if they detect that its on different computers, the person can still be considered for cheating according to the Rules.

(I don't know if this is very coherant. I've had a long day and am very tired and I am so close to lvl 70 fletching that I don't want to stop)

Aqua_Dragons.png

my solution: i don't have one

however, i think the current system works fine

for ppl with multiple family members, they shouldn't all play at the same time, or if they do, just don't trade with each other. to my understanding, if you don't trade you don't get banned.

Good advice smartme, but wouldn't you want to trade with a trusted family member more than an unknown person? Wouldn't there be a certain charm for a family playing RS together, as a family activity? I think the current system needs work because I'm sure lots of people would like to play that way.

None of the people in my household would play if they can't play together. After what happened, I'm scared to even use the comps in the other room, cook my hubbys lobs or even let him craft my gems into rings for me.

Heaven forbid they make the same mistake twice....ooops, I'm sorry. They've already made it at least 11 times that I've seen posted. :roll:

As for the people saying not to play with your family, that's just stupid.

From waht ive gathered, its only if you use the router to use two accounts owned by the same person to interact. But if you use a router and a friend or family member is playing (on their own account of course) its not illegal because your still playing sepratly.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

But the problem is Jagex can't tell who the owner of the account is can they?

Just don't do anything suspious and Jagex won't ban you, simple.

Contact details :lol:

Whatpulse team

My Youtube name is: birdman258

266ga.pngpikapopfg7.gif

My Mining Goal- Mining Rune Essence till level 99 8-) :^_^: :thumbsup: :wink:

mineruneessence6ku.jpg

But the problem is Jagex can't tell who the owner of the account is can they?

Just don't do anything suspious and Jagex won't ban you, simple.

Contact details :lol:

Yeah, whatever happened to those lol.

Anyways my cousins have been playing for the longest time and they always trade and play at the same time, so I don't know.

cyco_1.jpg

hmm all 3 of my kids own their own accounts, but my contact details are on there. why? i am the adult paying(if they are ptp at the time)- if there is a problem with the acc i contact jagex.

i don't even know my kids passes(nor do i wish to- nor they mine)

if what andrew said the other day then families should be ok to play together......(crosses fingers toes and anywhere else)

at the end of the day if i and my family do get banned it'll just make the transition over to eq2 and wow easier.

its 4 customers they will lose

Runescape nick : Fat_Slug

Owner of Ears, Scythe and a 10 year veteran cape :D

if a router is set up correctly the internet is access via the houses general

Then all computers connected to it will be set within a 'subnet' and each ahve thier own mask ip

eg:

my houses main ip ends with .1, the main computer connected by wire to the router uses this ip

then the router, my computer and my brothers computer run as a subnet. The entire ip is the same accept for the last digit

where the router replaces it with .2

my brothers pc with .3

and my pc with .4

Setup like this is correctly and it doesn't cklass any multi logging as we each possess a unqiue ip

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Then all computers connected to it will be set within a 'subnet' and each ahve thier own mask ip

eg:

my houses main ip ends with .1, the main computer connected by wire to the router uses this ip

then the router, my computer and my brothers computer run as a subnet. The entire ip is the same accept for the last digit

my brothers pc with .3

and my pc with .4

Setup like this is correctly and it doesn't cklass any multi logging as we each possess a unqiue ip

But I believe this is what your ROUTER sees and not what your actual I.P is, Your proper IP is the same and this is the one which Jagex look at.

eg:

my brothers pc with .3

and my pc with .4

But I believe this is what your ROUTER sees and not what your actual I.P is, Your proper IP is the same and this is the one which Jagex look at.

nope, tht not way subnets work

when i log in rs etc and anything other ip releated its my ip endeding in .4 from my comp

Plv6Dz6.jpg

Operation Gold Sparkles :: Chompy Kills ::  Full Profound :: Champions :: Barbarian Notes :: Champions Tackle Box :: MA Rewards

Dragonkin Journals :: Ports Stories :: Elder Chronicles :: Boss Slayer :: Penance King :: Kal'gerion Titles :: Gold Statue

Jegex wont look at that. When using a router, a diffrent ip address is used for each one, and since the signal's they recive are out going from your internet connection, they do not detect it coming fromt he same connection.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Jagex's methods of detecting multiple logins are not the last time I was a aware (and personally I doubt they've changed) are not based in anyway shape or form on your IP address, and having multiple people logged on different machines behind a router poses no risk whatsoever.

there are no stupid questions

just way too many inquisitive idiots

balance is scary to people who like things easy for them

Utopianflame.png

You do realize Jagex can see bank accounts? They're smart enough to tell if you're doing a multiple login (even if it's from a different computer) solely for the purpose to trade to a mule.

It's easy to tell if one person seems to be in control of both characters. If my wife and I are both on, well, it's hard to be killing Green Dragons in the wild while the other is farming.

Don't worry about multiple accounts. Just make sure if two accounts interact on the same LAN IP address, that they are being controlled by two people. Yes, it's VERY tempting to create a mule, but as reports are showing Jagex can detect you using another account solely as a mule.

nukemarine.png

Learn how to Learn Japanese on your own - Nukemarine's Suggested Guide for Beginners in Japanese
Stop Forgetting Stuff for College and Life - Anki - a program which makes remembering things easy
Reach Elite Fitness - CrossFit

:? I find it very amusing how everyone seems to know everything about this...yet everytime You think you know, you're wrong.

I personally had it happen to my family. ONE of my brother in law's chars, ONE of my hubby's chars and TWO of my own chars were banned for it. They had different contact details, they were paid for seperately, his brother had NEVER played on the comp I play on/I had never played on his and MY chars were kept quite well seperate and as for using two chars at once....the comps are rooms apart, that's damn near impossible. (If anyone has seen the posts about my noob, they'd know her skills were quite well enough to be a main). There was NO connection other than the IP which I can quite well tell you, is the SAME with a router.

I'd suggest that everyone who doubts this contact their broadband company because the company themselves will tell you: the IP that Jagex can see is the MODEM's IP...not the router. The router simply breaks computers down into a subnet AFTER the modem establishes a connection...but ALL Jagex can see is the single IP.

As for the bank acct theory...Jagex CANNOT see your bank acct. They are NOT provided with any informationt that you enter into a site other than their own. This also applies to PayByPhone: They are not given the actual number you call from, they are only given the number that you have to enter to get to the 900 number info.

I have a router and 2 laptops and I have not yet tried RS on both laptops at the same time. I have contacted Jagex 3 times questioning about this and I have still not got a reply! I thought the CS was supposed to be really good.....

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |

Well, JAGEX would just look at the IP adress and if its the same they will most likely perm ban you no questions asked :twisted: You could maby get it appiled to only 3 day ban but then they would watch you for ever!! :evil:

at the end of the day if i and my family do get banned it'll just make the transition over to eq2 and wow easier.

its 4 customers they will lose

Same here only 2 paying customers. Jagex are you listening?

mcguff1.png

They lost 7 in our case. 2 of mine, 2 of my hubby's, 2 of his brothers & his cousin that's over here all the time. We pay for all 7, even the ones that aren't banned we aren't going to renew ever again. It may just be a small drop in the bucket to Jagex's greed, but still...it's the principle.

similiar setting and scenerios.. but different treatment... and i realised that most of the a/c that are banned this way are mostly members?

Sadly, we can't tell how they detect.. perhaps they could clarify.. as on how to enable multiple family members to play the game together.. since rs has got article supporting that its a good mmorpg... is it really that tough?

I got a reply from Jagex which might help answer your questions. I do not think I am allowed to post the whole reply I got so I think it is okay if I just quote parts of it.

This is quite a question that you have posed me! And there is no straightforward answer.

While it is not against our rules for you to play with your friend on the same IP address at the same time, I would be very careful. The all seeing eye here at Jagex Towers is very good at picking up on any strange activities between accounts that are coming from the same place.

It would be advisable that you do not do any trades of great value while you are both playing from the same place. It could look like you are trading between two of your own accounts, and that is against the rules and could result in a ban.

Let the good judgement that you have shown in asking, guide you to make good decisions in the future!

If no one believes me then I might post a pic of the web page that contains the reply I am just not sure if I am allowed to.

Please tell me if this post is okay. Hope this helps.

Potter Pkr

Retired 8th October 2007 | 99 Fishing | 99 Cooking | Owner of a Red Mask and 2 Santa Hats |