Pandora.com - a new way to discover new music

Necromagus

http://www.pandora.com/

You start by typing in a song title or artist name, and then the applet will look up a song that closely matches the musical properties of that song or artist. You can indicate your like or dislike of a song, and based on that information the program will try to serve you with songs that you like. It's a pretty interesting way to find new music :)

lol i typed in dream theater and it started playing a dream theater song lol
It usually starts with a song of the band you typed in for confirmation, it's just the way that thing is programmed.

Put in a folk metal band and the next song was an emo song. Stupid site.

Want emo music? Write down thigs suck Simple Plan, lol

Works fine for Pearl Jam and Pink Floyd!

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png

I remember using this awhile back and it's pretty good. The problem is, as with every other mind reading device, you never truly get what you wanted.

If what you want is find more bands that play similar music to the ones you like, it's great. :wink:

Thanks for the tip Necro :)

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Its good, but not as good as http://www.last.fm and its "discovery" mode

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

It's pretty good actually, it just gets a bit confused when I type in something like Red Hot Chili Peppers, since their styles have varied vastly over the years. Handy though for discovering stuff which you might not of ordinarily given a look.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

That can easily be fixed by asking for a specific song in stead of the band itself.

Its good, but not as good as http://www.last.fm and its "discovery" mode

I found it's discovery mode much better than last.fm's one. But maybe that's just for the kind of music I listen to.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Last.fm's music database is much much larger. Pandora is ok for more mainstream music but didnt have any of the more obscure ones i tried that i can regularly listen to on last.fm

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

• 1 year later...

I enjoy Pandora alot.

All internet radio is under threat though.

Edit: Gah! Old thread. Tried to find a Pandora thread before I made my own and instead bumped a dead one. Sorry.

I've been using it for ages - one of the best sites on the net IMO

Back by popular demand!

And I guess I just wanted to tell you, as the light starts to fade, that you aree the reason, that I am not afraid, and I guess I just wanted to mention, as the heavens will fall, that we will be together soon if we will be anything at all.

I enjoy Pandora alot.

All internet radio is under threat though.

Edit: Gah! Old thread. Tried to find a Pandora thread before I made my own and instead bumped a dead one. Sorry.

If you were going to make a new one anyway. Can't this one just stay open? Seems pointless to lock this one just because it's old. and then open a new one.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

That would be logical. I'm curious whether the statements made above are old. I've noticed a few artists I know that Pandora does not have but still, have interruptibility been able to find music I like there.

I've been four months without sound on my computer due to laziness and finally spent four minutes + reboot to install my sound card.

I am too stupid.

It's great though.

The main problem with having bumped this is I've been scolded in the past :( [Rightfully So as I had nothing special to add]

Might as well keep this one alive now, since there's enough news to keep discussion going. Basically pandora.com is no longer licensed to stream music outside of the United States, so they're slowly pulling their service from all other countries. There are still ways to evade this, but it's illegal to talk about those under forum rules so I won't :-$

Yeah I read about that Necro. The RIAA really are just killing thier own industry.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi