Leet speak good or bad?

Andrew1788

The purpose of this topic is to discuss whether or not you like leet speak. I'm sure most of you know what leet speak is, but for those of you who don't, leet speak is a language where you replace letters with numbers.

Scape_Andrew.png

I have to admitt when i was still playing Runescape i did often use "leet" speak because i thought it was somewhat "cool"

But now that i have stopped playing Runescape i can see how stupid it actually is. :roll:

We kill leet speakers here! :D

The Enrichment Center reminds you that the weighted companion cube will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.

In the event that the weighted companion cube does speak, the Enrichment Center urges you to disregard its advice.

It's a disgrace. It's stupid and it's anything but "leet"

x2. Couldnt agree more.

If people in game say "pl0x" or anything like that, I refuse to have anything to do with them.

It was only ever useful or even semi-cool back in the early 90's...

But now it's used to mock newer players and it's rather pointless. Actually, if you go to wikipedia, you'll find there's a lot of information there.

Runescape Name: "unbug07"

sunsig6yg.png

Expand your mind.

yU0 mÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã@n l1kÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã Th1$?

Yeah, it annoys me... I only ever said pl0x for a joke...

sig5235ro7.jpg

Im fine with it as long as its fairly easy to read. If it the extreamly long format, it too hard for me to read and therefore becomes annoying. I dont know how to type leet speak anyways, so i dont type it.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

It's probably one of the worst trends to hit the internet, IMO.

Note that you don't ever actually really see people overly typign in it. It just gets annoying because when you see it, 90% of the time it's people typign it joking around, but it's still pretty annoying. This thread already has some lines with people using it jokingly, and that's really the only time I see it, but it's just as annoying when people use it jokingly to me.

^ In agreement.

So long as it's used sparingly and for a laugh, I have no problem with it. But what are the chances of that? :P

Ditto

The occasional common shorthand phrase, such as "b4", are ok, and so is using it on vanity plates, I guess. But when you go all out and type something in all numbers, that's just plain annoying.

But I'm not suprised, math doesn't use number's anymore, its all letters, so why should writing be confined to only letters?

Look, if your mom still drops you off at school, you ain't gangsta, pull up your damn pants!

142qvyv.jpg

3 down, 7 to go

I believe 1337 5p34k was used by hackers to communicate with each other?

Most of it was coined back in the days of BBS systems where sysops would try and filter out words that might attract undue attention from the authorities... like "hacking". So replacements like "hax" were used to avoid the word filters.

siganizq4.gif

I can respet your desicions, but personally, i dont mind however, people cant completely change everyone in the world...

(but maybe the united nations?!?)

trinitrotoluene its the dynamte,

trinitrotoluene im a nerd!

I bet you'd agree because Nitrogen was discovered in 1772 and was derived from the greek word 'Nitron', in which nitrogen is used as an anaesthetic.

It's probably one of the worst trends to hit the internet, IMO.

Note that you don't ever actually really see people overly typign in it. It just gets annoying because when you see it, 90% of the time it's people typign it joking around, but it's still pretty annoying. This thread already has some lines with people using it jokingly, and that's really the only time I see it, but it's just as annoying when people use it jokingly to me.

Exactly. It's used much more jokingly than it is being serious. I rarely see someone using it seriously. So really, joking about it is just as bad as actually being serious, almost at least. When people start using "leet speak," even if they are joking around, I usually just ignore them.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

Leet speak is just annoying, immature, and makes the speaker look like an idiot "PMG MY M41N P00N5 J00" "N33b ur5 m0m5 lyk p0mg im ub3r 1337".... I see that too much nowadays. Just sad.

We kill leet speakers here! :D

We flame, than kill, than we throw them out :D

Annoying and childish.

Pretty much ended the thread right there in my opinion.

Ditto ^

~komodo

komododabst3cn.png