MASSIVE CAPE UPDATE!!!!!!!!

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not that it realy matters in a game, but metal capes, even a chain cape, would be impracticle. Too heavy to manuver in as well as the weight pulling on you from the back would be trouble. Thats why when warriors of old wore their armor, they put on a chain shirt then put on their plate. The chain would be weighted on their shoulders so not to throw off their center of gravity. Then a leather cloak or cape was draped over the back to add to the protection but not to be too heavy.

Things I wish they would add would be metal gloves, IE guantlets, and boots. After all I have never seen a full set of plate armor not have guants and boots. I wonder why the devs left the boots and guants out of the smithing table.

We already have metal boots and gloves.

I never see any in the smithing table.

Tsi Ani-Yunwiya

uug3d.gifwe972.gif

Yes, we do have metal boots and gloves already, and i dont think warriors of old wore capes at all, they just got in the way. Only people of high standards, ranks, etc. would wear them to show authority.

People wore capes, more or less cloaks actually. They protected the back because a full set of plate was too heavy for a foot soldier. Sure for a mounted lancer they were fine. Most wore a chain tunic with latches on them. These latches were used to attach plate breast plates and arms. This caused for huge gaps in the plate and the chain was little protection in those vital areas. A cloak was worn to add protection cause it was light enough to manuver in, not as movement restricting as plate. As for getting in the way, I think you are thinking of cloth capes like you see super heroes wear. A leather cloak is quite stiff and sterdy. It doesn't fly around with a lot of movement. It forms around the body as you move.

Tsi Ani-Yunwiya

uug3d.gifwe972.gif

That's because they aren't smithable. The gloves are available from the Culinaromancer's chest, following the completion of any part of the Recipe for Disaster quest. They range from Bronze to Barrows, and can be found on the Rewards page for the Quest on the Knowledge base. The boots are drops from slayer monsters, and range from Bronze to Rune.

Perhaps they should be smithable, I'm uncertain. At present they do provide a tremendous reward for raising your smithing level, or completing Recipe for Disaster, the longest quest in the game.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

Yes, we do have metal boots and gloves already, and i dont think warriors of old wore capes at all, they just got in the way. Only people of high standards, ranks, etc. would wear them to show authority.

People wore capes, more or less cloaks actually. They protected the back because a full set of plate was too heavy for a foot soldier. Sure for a mounted lancer they were fine. Most wore a chain tunic with latches on them. These latches were used to attach plate breast plates and arms. This caused for huge gaps in the plate and the chain was little protection in those vital areas. A cloak was worn to add protection cause it was light enough to manuver in, not as movement restricting as plate. As for getting in the way, I think you are thinking of cloth capes like you see super heroes wear. A leather cloak is quite stiff and sterdy. It doesn't fly around with a lot of movement. It forms around the body as you move.

Chainmail wasn't protective enough against the crushing blow of two-handed swords. Chainmail protected from slashing, stabbing, and arrows. Anything heavier still did some serious damage. A javelin from a balista could easily impale a single foot soldier wearing chainmail. At least with a cloak you had some back protection.

To tell you the truth a chain cape isn't very heavy at all. My friend has one and it is very easy to walk around with. And I know this because several years ago for a school project on knights and castles he made a outfit with a cape like this.

To tell you the truth a chain cape isn't very heavy at all. My friend has one and it is very easy to walk around with. And I know this because several years ago for a school project on knights and castles he made a outfit with a cape like this.

And if a chain cape made of real life materials isn't heavy, a mithril cape would be very easy to move around in.

How did you make that?? Chainmail is a major pain to make, and a chain cape is probably worse.

That's because they aren't smithable. The gloves are available from the Culinaromancer's chest, following the completion of any part of the Recipe for Disaster quest. They range from Bronze to Barrows, and can be found on the Rewards page for the Quest on the Knowledge base. The boots are drops from slayer monsters, and range from Bronze to Rune.

Perhaps they should be smithable, I'm uncertain. At present they do provide a tremendous reward for raising your smithing level, or completing Recipe for Disaster, the longest quest in the game.

I think you misunderstood why I said that. The person I said that too had quoted what I said about there being no smithable metal boots or guantlets. Then they said there was metal boots and gloves. So I reposted the quote of my post and put the text about where I was talking about smithable, in bold. Then I made that statement in which you just quoted me on. I never once said anything about there being none at all. I only said there were none that were smithable. So I guess that is twice :wall:

Oh as for the bolista thing and chain mail. I was watching a nice show on Discovery. It was about the Vikings and thier armor. It was the cheapest made stuff you could ever imagine. However it protected better than the finest made chain mail of the time. It turned out that it wasn't actualy the chain they made but the cloth they wore over the chain. They used this air cannon thing and fired a spear point into two pieces of chain. First was the finely made chain and the spear had no problem penetrating. They fired it again at teh Viking chain and it penetrated even more. They then put the chain with the cloak the Vikings wore and fired the spear into it. The spear still penetrated but not a fatal penetration. This is why it was believed you could shoot a Viking, or stab them, and yet they would still keep coming.

Tsi Ani-Yunwiya

uug3d.gifwe972.gif

I think you misunderstood why I said that. The person I said that too had quoted what I said about there being no smithable metal boots or guantlets. Then they said there was metal boots and gloves. So I reposted the quote of my post and put the text about where I was talking about smithable, in bold. Then I made that statement in which you just quoted me on. I never once said anything about there being none at all. I only said there were none that were smithable. So I guess that is twice frustrated

My bad. I never read the content of a quote, as I assume I've read it already. I must start doing that in future.

"Join me next week on 'Let's Make No Freaking Sense', when I shall be waxing an owl."

- Green Wing

Barrows Drops: 1x Verac's Flail, 2x Karil's Crossbow, 1x Torag's Hammers, 1x Karil's Leatherskirt, 1x Karil's Coif

If METAL CAPES were a good defensive equipment, SURELY there would be some mention of them being used in OUR HISTORY, would it?

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

Maybe you should read Kanati's post before you go making false statements. :shame:

BTW- I don't think there's any recorded dragon, runite, adament, or mithril armor made in the past. Anddon't come back with saying there are some reports of mithril, mithril is a legendary metel made from enchanting silver, Jagex made it into a base metal.

WFCrest.gif

Maybe you should read Kanati's post before you go making false statements. :shame:

BTW- I don't think there's any recorded dragon, runite, adament, or mithril armor made in the past. Anddon't come back with saying there are some reports of mithril, mithril is a legendary metel made from enchanting silver, Jagex made it into a base metal.

Yes, very true. Mithril was made famous in the 1930's with the publishing of the book "The Hobbit" by J.R.R Tolkien. Mithril is in fact a mythical metal, said to be forged by elves. What made mithril so popular was it's magical weight. It weighs very little, and if there are metal capes, a mithril one would be very protective without much encumberence.

Oh as for the bolista thing and chain mail. I was watching a nice show on Discovery. It was about the Vikings and thier armor. It was the cheapest made stuff you could ever imagine. However it protected better than the finest made chain mail of the time. It turned out that it wasn't actualy the chain they made but the cloth they wore over the chain. They used this air cannon thing and fired a spear point into two pieces of chain. First was the finely made chain and the spear had no problem penetrating. They fired it again at teh Viking chain and it penetrated even more. They then put the chain with the cloak the Vikings wore and fired the spear into it. The spear still penetrated but not a fatal penetration. This is why it was believed you could shoot a Viking, or stab them, and yet they would still keep coming.

Yes, I saw that show too. The quilted cloth worn under the chainmail was designed to help protect from the heavy two-handed swords (which weighed from 15-20 pounds, being swung at a high speed....ouch.)

And an actual balista isn't an air canon, it is a derivative of the crossbow. It is pretty much a crossbow canon. It consists of a hige crossbow mounted on sort of "turret". These balistas fired javelins at such high speed, it could break the chainmail. The only protection after that was the quilted cloth. Sounds pretty dim if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't want to be up against a balista, no matter what type of armor I'm wearing. They were designed as anti-personel weapons, and specificly designed to pierce armor.

Yes, I saw that show too. The quilted cloth worn under the chainmail was designed to help protect from the heavy two-handed swords (which weighed from 15-20 pounds, being swung at a high speed....ouch.)

And an actual balista isn't an air canon, it is a derivative of the crossbow. It is pretty much a crossbow canon. It consists of a hige crossbow mounted on sort of "turret". These balistas fired javelins at such high speed, it could break the chainmail. The only protection after that was the quilted cloth. Sounds pretty dim if you ask me. I certainly wouldn't want to be up against a balista, no matter what type of armor I'm wearing. They were designed as anti-personel weapons, and specificly designed to pierce armor.

I didn't mean to make it sound like the air cannon was a balista test. You mentioning a bolista reminded me of the show. I think I have heard something about using bolistas as a siege weapon. They would use the spear as a sort of grappling hook, so to speak. The turrent was elevated so that the spear would be fired over the wall of an instalation. The spear would have a rope attached to the end. This rope was then used to pully lift a ladder against the wall. I don't remember if it was a history show I was watching or if it was a movie. I am leaning to the thought it was a movie because I am seeing this being done and a person on the wall, or on the other side of the wall, being impailed by the projectile.

Tsi Ani-Yunwiya

uug3d.gifwe972.gif

I didn't mean to make it sound like the air cannon was a balista test. You mentioning a bolista reminded me of the show. I think I have heard something about using bolistas as a siege weapon. They would use the spear as a sort of grappling hook, so to speak. The turrent was elevated so that the spear would be fired over the wall of an instalation. The spear would have a rope attached to the end. This rope was then used to pully lift a ladder against the wall. I don't remember if it was a history show I was watching or if it was a movie. I am leaning to the thought it was a movie because I am seeing this being done and a person on the wall, or on the other side of the wall, being impailed by the projectile.

It probably was a movie then. A real balista fires javelins as anti-personel weapons, not as a grappling hook (although it could in theory be used as one). The balista was a Roman invention, designed to pierce through a soldier's armor and defenses, instantly impaling it's victim. A well aimed shot could probably kill a few soldiers lined up. In short, balistas were the "shotgun" of medeivel warfare. The invention of gunpowder changed that though.

You guys don't get it, do you? Just because you have mystic metals like mithril, and supernatural powers like Magic; those can all be explained logically by molecular structure and supernatural energies. But you cannot explain away metal capes in any way.

It is the same thing as in you would not regard finding mithril in a Fantasy RPG as strange, but I am sure you would be very suprised to find a platebody that is used as a throwing weapon.

READ before you post.

Why do you resist? My experiments are only helping humanity push the boundaries of the Art of Toxicology... you should be proud to be one of my victims.

~Toxicologist~

I would consider it more like a high powered rifle. A shotgun is a scatter weapon.

Very true. A rifle that took a long time to reload, weighed alot, and wasn't even handheld. That aside, it was a formidable weapon. I would totally like to use one sometime :twisted:

I ponce started a topic on a new kind of cape, the ones that cover one side of the body (so one arm and stuff). Man if that's going to be there too, and I don't get some grant I'm going to be mad.

EDIT: Ok just saw there are already 4 pages in this topic, nvm.

Legion.gif

Achieved quest (07/08/2009), woodcutting (28/06/2010), attack (21/07/2010), strength + constitution (07/08/2010), defence (26/09/2010), summoning (13/01/2011), herblore (03/03/2011), cook (31/08/2012), firemaking (01/09/2012), magic (08/09/2012), prayer (16/09/2012) and ranged (29/10/2012) capes.