Does time exist?

dark_ice

Ok well I consider myself an intellectual and commonly find myself thinking about wierd things, that are really deep like this...Does time really exist?

Deep thoughts are usually hard to explain but I'll try my best...

So what if the calendar had never been created? What if there were no hours, minutes, days, or years? We would just...be here. Time is man-made. Its just a name given to humans' way of keep track of the earth's and our lives' cycles.

Now time travel. I read popular science magazines and there's alot of talk about time travel. But how can I be living now, in the 'present' and then you travel back in 'time' to when I was 5 years old? It's impossible because time doesn't exist

If time was real that would mean it has been around for eternity. Seeing as time can't really just pop into existence. That would also mean that it will last for eternity. But if time lasts for eternity, couldn't it just not exist at all?

Well what do ya'll think. Actually don't think too much, your brain will start to hurt after like 15 minutes of thinking of this kinda stuff :lol:

Oh and I'm also not crazy and I do understand time and its uses but this is just a theory I wanted to throw out there =)

supdarklinkel1.jpg

Ohhh, I love thinking about stuff like this. One of my best friends wrote something about this.

What is time? It is a barrier, solid, inpenatrable; yet...it is a ghost. It is an infinate orb in which everything exists, don't try to escape it, because it is everywhere. Try to go back, try to see foward-useless. You will hit the ever present barrier. Yet, all time, past and present exists now, God holds it all within his hand. Time races on as we each make our scratch into eternity.

God sees it all, He was then, He is now, He always sees, God is forever. He is eternal and fills all things. His wisdom searches for those who seek it. It weaves through time, seeking to be found. It is the wisdom of our forefathers, the wisdom established at the beginning of all.

How awesome are your works O lord, even the least of them is incomprehensible to me.

To me everything has a beginning, and everything has an end, even forever ends. But God and time

co-exist, never beginning...yet never ending.

This is time.

It's pretty awesome. Just thought I would share it with the world. :P

Ghost: I am prejudice towards ignorance, so that would explain why I appear to be so.

Time does exist. What your asking would be like me asking, "What if we never gave a word for computer? Would it still exist?" Time exists because we live. We are consious for periods of time. As for time travel, there is no way to travel back in time but there is a way to travel forward in time. The faster (or closer to the speed of light) you move, the slower time moves for you. It's an actual fact that fighter pilots and airline pilots age less than us normal people because they often travel much faster. Although, the amount less they age is extremely small.

Time does exist. What your asking would be like me asking, "What if we never gave a word for computer? Would it still exist?" Time exists because we live. We are consious for periods of time. As for time travel, there is no way to travel back in time but there is a way to travel forward in time. The faster (or closer to the speed of light) you move, the slower time moves for you. It's an actual fact that fighter pilots and airline pilots age less than us normal people because they often travel much faster. Although, the amount less they age is extremely small.

There is a way to go forward in time, just do anything, if time isn't progressing then you've sucsessfully freezed time, congratz!

Anyways, I agree to most of the above.

1z2zrwo.jpg

No, that's totally different. I computer is tangible. I can see, touch, lick it. I KNOW its there. lol. Can you show me time? Yes, we do live but is it really for periods of 'time'?

Oh yea. A question for all those 'time-believers' =P Ok I'm sure you all know what time zones are. Well what if every hour, on the hour you traveled back one time zone.

supdarklinkel1.jpg

No, that's totally different. I computer is tangible. I can see, touch, lick it. I KNOW its there. lol. Can you show me time? Yes, we do live but is it really for periods of 'time'?

I can't exactly show you atoms but we know they exist. Time exists, it's what we live through. We know it moves because we age, as does everything else. Time exists, although, we measure according to our own planet which is the only thing that is man-made...

There is a way to go forward in time, just do anything, if time isn't prgressing then you've sucsessuflly freezed time, congratz!

Anyways, I agree to most of the above.

Lol, I guess I should've stated it's possible to go forward in time faster than anything else....

Time exists as long as there is life...(I don't have proof I just heard this somewhere and I think it makes sense)

Using some time-machine to go to the future is only possible if everything that will ever happen is already predetermined(sp?)

Time exists, it's a dimension. Time is interwoven with all of matter and space throughout the universe. We as humans can never really consider ourselves to be out of time. The way we measure time however, is subjective. Hours minutes and seconds are a man-made measurement. When we think of time slowing down in a huge gravitational field it is slowing down relative to our measurements.

So yes, it does exist.

"Da mihi castitatem et continentam, sed noli modo"

Time does exist because there is order in what seems like a chaotic world. When it comes ot something like atomic decay it happens at such a precise rate you can measure "time" from it. Im finding it hard to explain but i know the answer in my head, i mean that while second, minutes, years etc are man made titles they refer to things which are a constant and can be mneaures, so time will always exist in all races and cultures and alien speces, just perhaps in a different way.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

As for time travel, there is no way to travel back in time but there is a way to travel forward in time.

If control could be gained over all matter and energy (knowledge over its location, velocity, direction), , then if somehow the direction of that matter is reversed, then in theory the effects of time should be reversible and the effect of going backwards though what already occurred should happen.

I suppose it could be argued that all that the above would archive is the reversal of 'space' and that time would continue forwards. Although, we measure time by the movement of space. So the measurement of time would be reversed.

I am confusing myself so I would stop.

The concept of time is man-made however time is based on a real, observable phenomenon. Time is the flow of information (which is basically anything, for example the flow of photons into your eyes, or the vibration of atoms in your body) and can be quantised in terms of Planck time (the time it takes a photon to move the shortest distance possible). According to this definition it would be theoretically possible to stop and reverse time. You only need to stop the transfer of all information or to reverse it but due to the laws of thermodynamics such actions are impossible, hence the reason time seems to always move forwards.

Oh yea. A question for all those 'time-believers' =P Ok I'm sure you all know what time zones are. Well what if every hour, on the hour you traveled back one time zone.

Nothing, you still aged 1 hour; however according to the definition of time zones youÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢ve moved back one hour. It still doesnÃÆââââ¬Å¡Ã¬Ã¢ââ¬Å¾Ã¢t change the fact that all the atoms in your body have been vibrating about for an hour.

well things happen and we just had the urge to get some way of putting it like in order and make it like easy for us.

my cat has no idea about time, he know moments, like when my dad comes home from work my cat knows it wont take long till feeding time.

in a weekend or vacation my cat doesnt know what is happening :lol:

and timetravel would be like reaching moments that already happened, wich is for us time ;)

not everybody wants to hear the bubblegum pop garbage.

im gonna burn in hell and drink all of satans beer.

trashmetal/deathmetal/hardrock/folkmetal die hard

Ok well I consider myself an intellectual and commonly find myself thinking about wierd things, that are really deep like this...Does time really exist?

Deep thoughts are usually hard to explain but I'll try my best...

So what if the calendar had never been created? What if there were no hours, minutes, days, or years? We would just...be here. Time is man-made. Its just a name given to humans' way of keep track of the earth's and our lives' cycles.

Now time travel. I read popular science magazines and there's alot of talk about time travel. But how can I be living now, in the 'present' and then you travel back in 'time' to when I was 5 years old? It's impossible because time doesn't exist

If time was real that would mean it has been around for eternity. Seeing as time can't really just pop into existence. That would also mean that it will last for eternity. But if time lasts for eternity, couldn't it just not exist at all?

Well what do ya'll think. Actually don't think too much, your brain will start to hurt after like 15 minutes of thinking of this kinda stuff :lol:

Oh and I'm also not crazy and I do understand time and its uses but this is just a theory I wanted to throw out there =)

This is why i said in another thread that math is not real and man-made. The 'Measure of time' is nothing but a representation, and therefore not in real nature, but the time that can only move forward is infact real.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

Hmmm....Time without measurement......

Well, there IS a past, present (unidentafiable) and future. In existance, time exist, but out of it, I do beleive it doesn't.

I think time and matter are the only constant in the universe, there for time must exist because its a constant.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Your Guide to Posting! Behave or I will send my Moose mounted Beaver launchers at you!

isn't time just a man-made term? Didn't we just start using that phrase to give meaning to days, months and years? I don't think time is real. I don't think anything in the universe is a constant

You can't ever find a place that's nice and peaceful, because there isn't any. You may think there is, but once you get there, when you're not looking, somebody'll sneak up and write "(bleep) you" right under your nose. Try it sometime. I think, even, if I ever die, and they stick me in a cemetery, and I have a tombstone and all, it'll say "Holden Caulfield" on it, and then what year I was born and what year I died, and then right under that it'll say "(bleep) you."

isn't time just a man-made term? Didn't we just start using that phrase to give meaning to days, months and years? I don't think time is real. I don't think anything in the universe is a constant

So your telling me time and matter are just dependent variables, and just happen? No its the other way around, Time and Matter are independent variables, and define how things work in the universe. Without either, there would be no existance.

mergedliongr0xe9.gif

Sig by Ikurai

Can you show me time?

300px-Wall_clock.jpg

I win. :P \'

Oh GAH! I just got pwned :oops:

:lol:

Anywho, lots of interesting stuff here! Lots of info going both ways . To me time seems like one of those subjects that are just so abstract its hard to fully grasp it. Time, the whole dimensions thing, black holes, the thought of eternity. I mean yea we can understand them but maybe never really get the full idea of it. I love thinking about stuff like this :P Keep the ideas comin!

supdarklinkel1.jpg

Hmmm....Time without measurement......

Well, there IS a past, present (unidentafiable) and future. In existance, time exist, but out of it, I do beleive it doesn't.

I think time and matter are the only constant in the universe, there for time must exist because its a constant.

I hate to be the one to kick the pot, but we already found out that matter alone is not constant; matter can be converted into energy, and, indeed, has been proven to be only energy packets being held together with particular forces. This is what a nuclear reaction is: matter being turned into energy.

Also, time itself is not constant, only measurement of time with respect to the same point of reference at points traveling at the same velocity is constant. When you speed up in relation to a point of reference, time for you travels slower than for it does for that point of reference. However, I believe that in order to once again relate to that point of reference and compare time, you must first "complete the loop," and return to the same time reference. That means that, while time may go faster or slower for people going different speeds, in order for them to compare time flow, they must be in the same time flow, and time will then seem to be the same. For more information on this idea, look up the Texas laser experimental facility which shot laser through Cesium gas. Cesium has a lower index of refraction than pure vacuum, and actually caused the laser to come out the other side several nanoseconds before it was fired. That'll throw a cog into our current understanding of time :-)

I do have a theory on that, which I might be tempted to share if anyone wants to know it. You never know :mrgreen:

When you are learning, you are growing. If you stop learning, you stop growing. If you stop growing, you die. Train hard, eat fried chicken, and take a one-a-day. (And cook that broccoli 'til it's yella and pour cheese all over it)

slowmethusel.png