Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

All post counts do is encourage people to spam because they are working towards some kind of rank achievement or trying to gain recognition. They encourage prejudice against people with lower post counts, too.

Remove the post counts & ranks (for the users) and let people be judged on the quality of their posts; not the quantity. There was a period of this a while ago and I honestly don't know why you reverted back to having them.

I did not add the poll. An admin did.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh really? I didn't know that. [/annoying_sarcasm]

Just because you can report spam doesn't mean it's alright. Once they have posted it and before you've reported it it has already wasted your time, added some more clogging to the database and is about to waste the time of a moderator who is already stretched enough.

Maybe they should at a new rule: DO NOT DOUBLEPOST. Most forums have it. On my forums i have it too but i'm soo nice that i just copy and past it. And everybody who see double post should report it. Don't know. Its just a suggestion. And they need to be sanctions. Donno.

peche707.png

2cht0ma.png

I've always been up for removing post counts.

I could see a lot of newer users complaining though and this is probably why it'll never happen unfortunetly.

sig2ho7.jpg

There's always going to be spammers! Regardless if they remove post counts. Especially when there are new members coming in everyday!

And plus its just an additional fun feature of the forum! :wink:

There's always going to be spammers! Regardless if they remove post counts. Especially when there are new members coming in everyday!

Yes but you would get rid of the spammers who are spamming just to get their post count up, which would mean less work for us.

Also I don't see how the post count can be seen as fun. Fun as in 'lets see how high many times I can post in a day'?

peche: I'm not understanding what you are saying.

sig2ho7.jpg

If I could get away with it without 40,000 people whining and crying , trust me , it would be gone ....

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

If I could get away with it without 40,000 people whining and crying , trust me , it would be gone ....

I don't mean to be annoying, but I just thought I'd note I would be one of the 40,000+ that would be in upheaval over the count title removal. And for this reason: Those titles actually give me goals which have a legal way to be reached. (AS IN, BY MAKING NORMAL NON-SPAM POSTS.) :)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Yes but you would get rid of the spammers who are spamming just to get their post count up, which would mean less work for us.

Also I don't see how the post count can be seen as fun. Fun as in 'lets see how high many times I can post in a day'?

Fun as in...well probably not the best word use by me! :lol:

And you are quite true in your first point with the spammers, though I am around the boards nearly everyday, for quite a time and yet I rarely see anyone who spams to get their post count up. :? Am I wrong in that conclusion? Or is there really that many people around spamming for a post count? :?

I rarely see anyone who spams to get their post count up. :?

I don't think they add "I posted this spam to get my post count up" to the end of each message.

Well i'm trying to say. Maybe chance the amount of posts for each name below the names. Or chance the names. Ow yea its called rank forgot that :P.

And many people think that they may be moderater at an certain amounts of post. They missed that you also need to be friendly and helpfull :P

peche707.png

2cht0ma.png

I don't think they add "I posted this spam to get my post count up" to the end of each message.

Oh Geez...Thanks Sherlock! You think I can't see the difference between pure spam and constructive posts! :roll:

You forgot the closing sarcasm tag.

Why bother posting something like that? Of course you won't know if someone is spamming to get their post count up or spamming for another reason. That is, unless you can read their mind.

:roll:

Instead of removing post count it would just be better to ban the people that spam.

Personally I think it's quite fun to see how many posts I made, although I don't plan on getting them up just for the sake of my post count. I'd rather not see the post count get deleted or something, and I think there are more people that agree with this. Instead of letting the "good" users "suffer" over the spammers, it would be better to just ban them. Spammers will be spammers so they will get into mischief anyway. With or without the post count.

Instead of removing post count it would just be better to ban the people that spam.

The rules here are awkward, spam is often subjective and it takes a fair amount before someone can be banned. You get people who remain on the brink of banishment but *just* manage to stay. Again, this is after they have already created work for moderators.

Spammers will be spammers so they will get into mischief anyway. With or without the post count.

That isn't so. Yes, there are people who will spam regardless. However, there are also people who will just spam because they want a higher post count or rank - the same people wouldn't be doing it if there was no post counts or ranks.

I shouldn't ban immediatly. I should first give a big warning. If they don't look at that and keep on spamming. Ban for a couple of days. Don't help that eather. Ban for couple of months. Than they gonna take it serious.

peche707.png

2cht0ma.png

Meanwhile they're clogging the board further, wasting users time and creating more work for moderators.

Whenever staff are looking for possible people to nominate, we are not looking at whether or not they are a chicken feather or a ghost cloak..

No, they're looking at the ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãâã50 paypal 'donation'. Come on, we all know that's how it works.

Spammers will be spammers so they will get into mischief anyway. With or without the post count.

There are a number of different types of spammers.

1. Users who spam just to raise their post count as they think they will gain more respect from other users.

2. People who sign up to the forum just to spam advertise a site/link etc.

3. Users who are trying to cause trouble and don't really care about getting banned.

I'm sure there are a few others too, but with this suggestion of removing post counts we are trying to get rid of number 1.

If their precious post count is gone then they will have to find a new way of gaining respect.

I know sites with ratring type systems instead of post counts but don't know exactly if they work. Anyone know?

sig2ho7.jpg

That's just it though - who cares what "rank" you have? Whenever staff are looking for possible people to nominate, we are not looking at whether or not they are a chicken feather or a ghost cloak..

Kinda figured that. It is, though, kinda funny while you're doing that selection to walk by and see that funky title just hanging on someone.

Although, having that title can give an idea of how much positive impact a person can give to the forums. If they're a "Chicken Feather" and yet they have an extreme positive impact, they may do EXTREMELY WELL working for you people! Did you ever think of this? :-k :| :? :)

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)