Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

I just think you should get rid of postcounts. I think I've known TIF for a while (before my join date) but I quit RS for a year and half and I don't know if I had an account here around 2004, I'm sure I did but I'm not sure. Anyway...

What I'm trying to say is that joindate and postcount have nothing to do with the fact if you can trust someone. Quantity =/= Quality. And age =/= Maturity.

I have no idea what I'm saying but yeah that's it #-o.

:-w

-Selbbub

6gefhqx.png

Cabbage owns, 'nuff said.

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say keep. It really doesn't matter that much. If somebody is constantly spamming to be getting a high post count he certainly won't be 'respected' or something. At best he will get a reputation as a spammer. Post count it pretty much harmless. I wouldn't really care if it got removed either, it's just that I don't really see much reason to do it.

21o4pav.jpg

Signature by Maurice Sendak

When the stars make you drool just like a pasta fazool, that's amore!

It should either be kept or put in the profile because it shows if you are a contributer to the forums.

You might have an account from 2003 or whatever, but with a post count of 12 it implies you haven't used it much.

This poll is biased, face votes favorable to the keeping of post counts are spread in two groups. This way, "Keep" would have to have, mathematically, twice as people voting for it to tie the poll.

We have to have 2 polls. First one with the alternatives "Remove" and "Keep", then, if "Keep" wins, another poll is held to decide if wether the post count is kept in profile or displayed on posts.

Let's make it fair.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

Keep, but only in profile and members list. Not on the actual forum threads themselves

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

Aww, I always have loved raising my post count, changing Ranks :D

Hopefully it will be kept :(

There could be an option on the profile "View other players Post count"

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

I think it's fair to say that it's only a minority who abuse the fact of post counts; whether having a higher one makes them superior or what have you.

To be perfectly honest, I don't mind which way the admins take it. We judge people by their quality of post here, not quantity.

I like mine, because I dunno, I like to keep track of how many posts I have. I guess it would work in the profile, but I dunno...I think the forums would be missing something without them...Cuz when I look at a topic I look and see name, avatar, post count. I don't really care, it's just neat to know.

bestsiggycopy5bo.jpg

As mentioned before, this poll is not fair at face value.

For it to be fair...

Only if 'no change' has more votes than both the other two put together should the post count have no changes made to it.

If 'no change' doesn't outnumber both of the others put together then pick the highest rating option of the other two choices.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

We should get rid of them, it would stop the "+1" idiots.

Don't really think so. I think they do that because they are too lazy to type their own message, so they just quote somebody saying they agree with him/her, not to gain post count.

21o4pav.jpg

Don't really think so. I think they do that because they are too lazy to type their own message, so they just quote somebody saying they agree with him/her, not to gain post count.

Of course that will change the way the community sees the person. If 90% of your posts are good, you can be a "+1 idiot", but if you are one all the time, you'll be known as a spammer and people just won't pay attention at your posts.

It's up to you what you want to be known at, that's why post count doesn't really matter, even though I want it to be kept.

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

It should not be the post count that defines a person's virtues.

There's an edit counting program for Wikipedia, and it has the message:

A novice was once curious about the nature of the Edit Count. He approached the Zen master and asked, "Zen master, what is the nature of the Edit Count?"

"The Edit Count is as a road," replied the Zen master. "You must travel the road to reach your destination, and some may travel longer roads than others. But do not judge the person at your door by the length of the road he has travelled to reach you."

And the novice was Enlightened.

The same goes for forums.

ixfd64.png

ARENAscape:

Baratus [AS] max hit: 166 with Moon Battle Hammer

ixfd64 [AS] max hit: 116 with (untitled spell #2)

Only if 'no change' has more votes than both the other two put together should the post count have no changes made to it.

If 'no change' doesn't outnumber both of the others put together then pick the highest rating option of the other two choices.

Seems biasted to me. If you were going to do that, then it should have been "Keep vs hide" with a second poll (if keep is the highest) saying "profile vs all posts".

It's quite obvious that you are adding the changes just because you want it removed. Many people are probably thinking that they would prefer to have the post counts in the profile only, but failing that, would prefer to keep the post counts where they are. (or something like that)

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

I won't be very happy if the post count gets removed, but I will still post here. It will make posters equal to each other and that people should judge others by the contents of their posts not thier post count. But the more frequent posters will get mistaken for being a newcomer. If it does get removed, I might have to go far as putting my own little post count in my sig lol.

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.

All post counts do is encourage people to spam because they are working towards some kind of rank achievement or trying to gain recognition. They encourage prejudice against people with lower post counts, too.

Remove the post counts & ranks (for the users) and let people be judged on the quality of their posts; not the quantity. There was a period of this a while ago and I honestly don't know why you reverted back to having them.

Beautifully said! I agree 100%. I never was a fan of post count.

I know post count is going to stay though, due to the overabundance of younger users on these boards. For some reason they seem to like post count. I guess having a high amount of posts boosts their ego's or something like that.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

i think the post should be added from our postcount from scapeboard, i had like 3500 post on there lol

485th person to ever play RuneScape

Blue107- perm banned 10/12/2007. $300 USD reward if you can get me in contact with someone who will take 5 seconds to look at evidence and get my original character unbanned. 

well, i know you shouldnt judge a person by their post count, as i dont. But there comes times when someone will post a link to a vid or something, and its a lot nicer knowing if they only have a couple of posts, kinda a quick reference not to click the link.

At the same time, we should add special ranks to people who spam a lot, labeling them with a name like spaminator..or something cheesy like that, but this will prolly bring on the kids who think its funny to spam..so i dunno..

all in all, i dont think removing post count is the solution to spam

w4M8t.png

Im not bothered. Post count doesn't mean much to me.

I would, however, favour a karma system. I.E. If a user's post is reported his karma is lowered and if someone thinks his post was particulary insightful, it is increased.

We have a system similiar on a different forum but instead it is called fame. More fame equals a better rank of helpfulness, and a low fame induces suspensions for being totally idiotic etc.

I dont know. Whichever.

knkcopy.jpg

Of course that will change the way the community sees the person. If 90% of your posts are good, you can be a "+1 idiot", but if you are one all the time, you'll be known as a spammer and people just won't pay attention at your posts.

It's up to you what you want to be known at, that's why post count doesn't really matter, even though I want it to be kept.

A "+1 idiot" is somebody who constantly quotes other people and says "+1" or "ditto", right? Or is it somebody who randomly posts "+1 postcount"? Because if it is the fist I don't really see how removed post count would do much help.

21o4pav.jpg

Im not bothered. Post count doesn't mean much to me.

I would, however, favour a karma system. I.E. If a user's post is reported his karma is lowered and if someone thinks his post was particulary insightful, it is increased.

We have a system similiar on a different forum but instead it is called fame. More fame equals a better rank of helpfulness, and a low fame induces suspensions for being totally idiotic etc.

I dont know. Whichever.

I would love that system! =D> GameFAQ boards has that system which is good. So instead of spamming to get a post count, it would go down!

No longer playing Runescape, I caught the WoW bug.