Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

I think that a fair compromise would be posts in the profile.

But i didnt vote for that. I personally like the post count feature, whether it shows how much you've spammed or how much you've contributed- its always nice to have a high post count.

True that there is prejudice against lower post count people, but it may be more of a stereo type since lower post counts usually means less time on the boards, you may not know what the people are like here and how they will react, and well basically its like looking at a lvl 3 on runescape.

Low levels on runescape are usually new, such is the same on tip it and there is nothing wrong with that. Obviously if a person with a low post count starts making an impression on the people around him, he/she will be accepted no matter what his post count is. If the person is an a-hole then he will be flammed, ignored, etc.

girlsigfi1.png

axeraider70.deviantART.com

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally like the post count. I voted to keep it. It does give insight on the users amount of time spent on here. Besides the little rankings are fun. :) I'd be surprised if it wasn't an overwhelming vote to keep them.

A circus in Runescape?? Oh my.

Leesters.png

Leesters.png

REMEMBER RUNESCAPE KARMA! Be a nice player, and nice things will come back to you.

I'm back, add me if you deleted me. :)

I don't see the point in this. Spammers will spam nevertheless; why bother removing it? Also, I like seeing my post count :)

==================================

Retired tip.it moderator.

Teaching and inspiring.

i bleive post count is a way people sue to see if osmeone is trustworthy...and mods can usually delete spammish posts which gets rid of the spam counts right?

no, posts are not deleted.

sig2ho7.jpg

i bleive post count is a way people sue to see if osmeone is trustworthy...and mods can usually delete spammish posts which gets rid of the spam counts right?

Why don't you just disable post count in the deleted forum so posts there don't add on to post count?

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

Ok, first of all, let's look at the current numbers. 94 140 73

No one category holds the majority. If the Tip It Admin was to decide based on the numbers right now, the "No - Keep" category would get picked because it is the plurality.

If a new poll was concocted, and the choices were "Yes - Remove" and "No - Keep in either posts or profile", the "No"'s would win in a ed landslide (according to the current numbers). Now, if we voted in a new poll on "Keep in Posts" and "Keep in Profile", all the "Yes - Remove" people would vote for "Keep in Profile".

So the only real fair compromise way would be to keep post count in profile.

Or keep them altogether since the plurality of the people want it kept.

On another note,

Post count does not encourage that much random spam. Those that post will continue posting regardless of post count. People that feel the need to get their post count up to appear more "veteran" or whatnot will lose incentive to spam, but we must remember that those people are relatively few compared to those that have posted mostly meaningful posts during their Tip It careers.

I will not mind if post counts are removed or kept. (Mainly because I have about 70 over 2 years, and I think join date > post count :lol: ) But there are those that have accumulated thousands of meaningful posts over the years, and they will mind if their accomplishments are whiped out.

Paladin57.png

heartunit4mm.png

Why don't you just disable post count in the deleted forum so posts there don't add on to post count?

It's not that simple, but that's an admin issue. I have no control over that.

sig2ho7.jpg

Still there is a phpbb MOD for it...

girlsigfi1.png

axeraider70.deviantART.com

Still there is a phpbb MOD for it...

We can delete posts, but we don't.

sig2ho7.jpg

Misconstrued reasoning, flaming and narcissism

Here's what he means.

There are three votes: Keep it the way it is, remove it from posts, or remove it from posts and keep it in profile. Notice how the latter two choices share a common condition: REMOVE FROM POSTS. That means that if more people vote for the latter two combined than for keeping it the way it is, then MORE PEOPLE WANT IT REMOVED FROM POSTS THAN KEPT THE SAME, AND THE ONLY DEBATE IS WHETHER WE WILL PUT POST COUNTS IN PROFILES. You say that the keep options should be grouped, but the primary decision that is being made here is whether or not the post count will stay next to posts, not whether the count will be in a profile. It isn't "biased" to group two together. All viable outcomes have been accounted for, why would there be any need to create a second poll? You've already raised your own post count by at least 10 by posting all of the nonsense that you already have on here.

I have no idea why I'm even posting here again. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I don't see babies dying, kittens being raped or Nazis marching as a result of there being post count. We can just leave it the way it is and save the admins the trouble of wading through the phpBB template files (ugh...thank God for easymod!).

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

I think it should be removed not because im a chicken feather or anything just so it adds some balance among people in the forums so you don't have to feel less of a person if some one has a higher total post count then you do, if it was not there in your mind and the other person your equals and as long as that post count is there it will invite hate,fighting etc.., as for the 40.000 people plus who will complain lets look to runescape for that answer, over the years runescape has changed time and time again, and with change comes controversy (in anything), but regardless of the controversial issues that would occur jagex changed the game knowing that it was best for the players(well the majority) and that the controversy would die down after people learned to accept the changes, and it did die down after countless numbers of updates again and again and again, so now I ask you why not remove the total count remover in the good sake of the tip.it community to make them feel equal amoungst one another, to help the mods have to do less work so they can work on updates to forums and the site that we all love and to put and end to a great majority of spamming on tip.it and for a numerous number of other reasons, it has come to my attention that people could start spamming about there rants because the total post count was remove tip.it can make a "rant-total post count removed" section on tip.it to control this and after the controversy dies down delete it. Please people think logically and do what's good for the tip.it community, get rid of total post counters.

thank-you

~[MagePkin}~

You seem to have the ability to write. People like you are respected, no matter the number of posts.

True that! I haven't seen such excellent articulation, delivery, and use of a period since I was in the third grade!

Im4eversexy, people will enjoy you better if you at least make an effort to write reasonably well. Your post seems as though it could have been meaningful, but to many of us it appears to be garbled. Perhaps if you separated it into a few paragraphs and made use of multiple sentences instead of one or two run-ons, it may be more heartfelt and comprehensible.

I would also like to point out that in an event such as this we see that a user in question is not a regular whom has never been told or learned to post properly but is in fact a new user, and therefore we should treat them as such. This is why we have post count!

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

this is why people of lower post levels feel under minded and less respected then you, obviously I am not lying you just made the perfect example for me and the rest of the people reading this. you think cause you have higher post levels you are smarter then others of lower post levels your just a illmanerd immature fool. I have more accomplishments in my education and probably in life then you will ever have. You only care for yourself because you have a number of high post you don't want it changed your not caring for the whole community as a whole, your selfishness is blinding you to see what should really be done here.

please keep them. i work for it, and am proud of mine

See, that's what I don't understand. You "worked" for your postcount? Is visiting the boards so mundane, bringing yourself to post and bless us with your prescence is "work"? :|

Whoever said "Get Rid of the Ranks" (I think it was Ghostranger) I'm with you on that. They're pointless, and you get a "How do u get hier than goblin armor plz" thread every week.

Down with ranks! Down with ranks!

Post count is the only reason I never ditched this stupid screen name on Tip.it and created another account named Hypno Monky like it should be.

deadforumslol.png

See, that's what I don't understand. You "worked" for your postcount? Is visiting the boards so mundane, bringing yourself to post and bless us with your prescence is "work"? :|

Whoever said "Get Rid of the Ranks" (I think it was Ghostranger) I'm with you on that. They're pointless, and you get a "How do u get hier than goblin armor plz" thread every week.

Yep, down with ranks! Serioulsy, whats the point. People fell undermined\underpliveraged just becuase thay are a "Chicken Feather" and the person above them is a "Varrok Guard." Oh, and you dont "work" for ranks. Visiting borads should be fun, not "work."

Anyway, it looks like the anti-postcounters seem to be losing in the poll.

Vote Anti-Postcount

th_borningfourmsig-1.png

Currently going for 76 fishing

We all know that many people just spam the threads with one liners saying "Wow, nice" or "Lol!" in effort to build up their post count. You and I as well as many, MANY others do not do that, our posts are often thought out and or intelligent/witty at least. The quality of our threads and or posts are greater because we're responsible posters. It's taken me years to post over 1.000 posts and I'm happy with it whereas others have taken only months to get up to 500+ and that can be seen by the quality of their posts.

Removing the ranks would be beneficial because of the bias put behind it. Sometimes I believe people go along with me or smile at my posts just because I have a high post count, they think that agreeing with someone who's well-versed in the forums will give them an edge, an advantage (I've seen it directed towards lots of others where they directly make jokes with and go off-topic because of a person who they have had little interaction with will notice it) over others because this high-post count person will recognize them.

That is just a strange way to live their lives, it's like trying to rub shoulders with a celebrity while firstly doing that does nothing to benefit them and probably actually embarresses the shoulder rubber more and secondly we're not celebrities, we're just people who are active on these forums. I post here because I'm interested in the game and if you saw me in-game you'd never think twice, if you saw me sitting in a Resteraunt in Chicago you'd never even notice my face, just because I have a post count doesn't make me someone extremely important.

There is a grand bias based on you when you post on forums with post counts because if you've got a high one people will look to your post with more interest. Either they'll agree with you fully or they'll take the opportunity to make light of your lack of knowledge on the topic. It's a dangerous game which we play every time High posters make a new reply on the threads.

Removing the post-count would be the best idea as it would make us all equal and thus a "newbie" to the forums would be treated just as a veteran would be. To those who've "worked" for their post count that means you've been actively trying to increase your post count and that's not really what a forum is for. This place is to discuss, entertain, and relax you during the day/night as you surf it, it isn't meant to be a contest to see how fast or how high you can get your post count up.

Personally I like being able to see how many posts I've made over my time here. It's refreshing to know exactly how active I've been. I would suggest perhaps a ranking based on your Join Date, but that would only further the bias based upon your post. Thus that is a bad idea. If anything your post count should be placed into your Profile so only people actively searching should see how often you post. Hopefully they can judge whether or not those posts are of a decent quality or not, but the average thread reader isn't going to be looking into the Profile of everyone just to see their post count.

Hopefully this poll will NOT be swayed by those people who desire a post count and believe it to be their E-manhood :roll: . It's just a number, a number that can be changed and removed. The quality of your post is mightier than the number of your post count.

EDIT: Also I think that this poll is unfair. Think back to the recent Presidential elections (sorry for you non Americans). Ralph Nader could NOT go to the Presidential debates because he would sway votes AWAY from John Kerry. This poll has the third party voting against the SIMILAR GOAL! The poll should have two options, keep the post count and then remove post count(Actions to be Determined) and if the former wins then another poll is held to determine which action is to be taken. Right now you are spreading the votes of the "take it away" voters to thin! They aught to be combined and decision of the removal action should be taken at another date!

I see no point in having a post count... You don't need a high post count to be known. It's what you say that makes you known... I agree with the fact that the post count induces some (NOT ALL!!) users to spam so that they will become "respected" and in the long run, the will just become hated...

this is why people of lower post levels feel under minded and less respected then you, obviously I am not lying you just made the perfect example for me and the rest of the people reading this. you think cause you have higher post levels you are smarter then others of lower post levels your just a illmanerd immature fool. I have more accomplishments in my education and probably in life then you will ever have. You only care for yourself because you have a number of high post you don't want it changed your not caring for the whole community as a whole, your selfishness is blinding you to see what should really be done here.

This coming from the one who posted a relatively incoherent piece of babble. I wasn't even trying to be mean. When I said what I said I meant that since you are new we shouldn't be so incredibly punishing and expect you to know better, hence the fact that I said the bit about how it might be better in future to articulate better.

I'm not going to lie, you in all likelihood do have more education than me, being that I am but a 14-year-old child, but the difference between you and me is that I choose to put effort into what I do rather than write incoherent forum posts. You just demonstrated to all of us that you can write reasonably well and make yourself understood (in your second post on this thread), and yet you chose to ignore basic grammatical conventions for saving two minutes' time, at the expense of the members of this community having to read utter gibberish.

You are using the fact that we pointed you on your laziness as a crutch to help your weaksauce argument. Not once did either I or apinagez say "lol noob letz pick on em," we said that you should post properly and noted that since you are new you might not know what is expected of members of this forum. If it came across that way I apologize, but I still didn't explicitly state that the reason for your ultimately useless post was that you have a low post count.

Have a nice day.

sigon4.jpg

I have no idea why I'm even posting here again. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. I don't see babies dying, kittens being raped or Nazis marching as a result of there being post count.

hehe, thread=godwinned :P

i dont think bttf thought any less of you because of your post count, thats the way he is with everybody :P .

and bringing your real life "accomplishments" in education and life itself into a discussion is generally not considered to highly.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg