Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

We should get rid of them, it would stop the "+1" idiots.

Don't really think so. I think they do that because they are too lazy to type their own message, so they just quote somebody saying they agree with him/her, not to gain post count.

Of course that will change the way the community sees the person. If 90% of your posts are good, you can be a "+1 idiot", but if you are one all the time, you'll be known as a spammer and people just won't pay attention at your posts.

It's up to you what you want to be known at, that's why post count doesn't really matter, even though I want it to be kept.

A "+1 idiot" is somebody who constantly quotes other people and says "+1" or "ditto", right? Or is it somebody who randomly posts "+1 postcount"? Because if it is the fist I don't really see how removed post count would do much help.

+1!! XD

In all seriousness though, removing post count will stop next-to-no spam. People who post "+1" then go all the way to "+9283" or whatever do it because it's funny, not for post count. Taking away post count will do nothing besides not showing newcomers who's been here long and also not showing good members who is posting keyloggers. And for those people saying about join dates, I used to have another account on tipit, but the admins wouldn't change the name of it, and told me to just make a new account, which I did, hence the lame join date.

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would, however, favour a karma system.

It sounds like a good idea, but I know there are people that would randomly give people the -1 karma thing just to be a mean little brat.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

I voted to keep them, however, I'm still up for the removal.

However, if we completely get rid of them, you should make the date when the people joined, easier to see, so the eye catches it. That way others will know how long they've been here, and will hopefully keep their respect. I think just bold writing might do the trick.

I don't know what the competition thing is about honestly...I barely post in others places besides my goals page, and posting in your own topics doesn't give you post counts. There are a select few with thousands of post counts, like Bubsa being the one I'm most aware of, another guy with almost as much as him or more, and I think there's even a Moderator with almost 8000?

I agree with the Karma idea too, the people that post +1 or first post, would get about 100 bad karma reports all at once, because there's usually about 100 views at least =; That would show them.

For the constant "+1 idiot", the only solution is a mercyless moderation team. :wink:

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

a poster's post count is the only way to judge his/her's trustfullness. Yes, i know quality over quantity, but i don't read everyone's posts, and i dont remember everything s/he may have said. the post count is important in that sense, but i also know that it can be a burden. keeping it hidden but accesible - such as in profiles - is the only way to keep spammers at bay while being able to judge someone. i read this whole thread, and from what I see, this option pleases both sides

Keep the post count. It's interesting to see how many posts I have made. Plus the page would feel plain without the title and post count there.

Or, put post count in profile, and instead of post count on the main posting thingy have a "Karma" thing like GameFAQs, it goes up 1 each day you log in. This way you can still keep the rank, it shows how long you've been a member, and would stop people signing up to post keyloggers.

Or, put post count in profile, and instead of post count on the main posting thingy have a "Karma" thing like GameFAQs, it goes up 1 each day you log in. This way you can still keep the rank, it shows how long you've been a member, and would stop people signing up to post keyloggers.
That gamefaqs thing is so worthless, how you have to come there for like a month straight just be be able to post more then 3 times a day :-X

I find post counts a matter of curiosity and would prefer they stay. Spam should be, and is, delt with by effective moderating.

Im not bothered. Post count doesn't mean much to me.

I would, however, favour a karma system. I.E. If a user's post is reported his karma is lowered and if someone thinks his post was particulary insightful, it is increased.

We have a system similiar on a different forum but instead it is called fame. More fame equals a better rank of helpfulness, and a low fame induces suspensions for being totally idiotic etc.

I dont know. Whichever.

I would love that system! =D> GameFAQ boards has that system which is good. So instead of spamming to get a post count, it would go down!

Sounds like an easy way for vindictive kids to get at people they don't like.

People shouldn't be higher rated because they have more friends to vote for them, or risk being punished because they disagree with someone.

In a little hilltop village they gambled for my clothes

I bargained for salvation and they gave me a lethal dose

I offered up my innocence, I got repaid with scorn

"Come in'', she said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm"

i like post counts :D . its fun to see names i dont recognize with over 1000 posts, and i dont recongnize them because they dont post in music and movies or off topic.

i dont think having them really cause any harm, either.

EDIT: forgot to mention that i dont like any other sort of user rating system. like the karma system mentioned above, or fame. all that would happen is the "popular" people getting better ranks, and personal vendettas would also affect it.

q8tsigindy500fan.jpg

indy500fanan9.jpg

One problem with removing the post counts for me is that I will not be able to recognize how long they have been with the forum. Yes we have a joined date but I never posted until this year. So it gives a little thing to judge people on how often they are with the forums and also how they act on the forums. You may wonder why I said that last thing but if they have a high enough post count, they must be doing something good to stay on the forums.

A reflection is just a distorted reality held by glass and your mind.

optimizedbrokenmirrorpn.jpg

Post count serves no purpose, has no benifit, only causes problems, leads to no better conditions on the forums.

Remove them.

You only get one chance to live your life....

But, endless opportunities to screw it up.

PioNMax2.png

Pio "But your honor, he deserved killin "

Judge " Fair nuff, the defendant is free to go"

I would, however, favour a karma system. I.E. If a user's post is reported his karma is lowered and if someone thinks his post was particulary insightful, it is increased.

I would favor the motion to cram Leester and his karma followers into a rocketship and send them into the sun. I would draw a diagram on paint but im currently laxed on time (too lazy). Anyhoo to the point I'm all for taking away post counts. It encourages spam and trolling which both should already have a no tollerence attitude on this forum. No good will ever come from a meaningless recorded number thats situated below your name.

The self-proclaimed king of bronze.

I don't have a goal for my own post count. I am sure others do. Those that do and get reported for spam, have their posts removed. With the posts removed, so is the count for those posts.

I would rather see the post count stay. It shows who has been around the most. Kind of shows who are the most active on this site, and who are the regulars. Then you can check on those user's previous posts to see if they are posting sense.

The post counts help me to get to know the user's that have been around for the longest time so I don't feel like such an outsider since I am new.

Tsi Ani-Yunwiya

uug3d.gifwe972.gif

i dont really care, yes people do spam to increase their count for whatever reason that they feel the need to, and yes there is the '!' button to report posts, but many people abuse that by reporting useless posts that are small flaming to the person who reported them, i would say keep it because it gives an idea of who is actually an active member of the forum, but also if you got rid of the post coulnt you would also have to take away the join date because people would also discrimnate against that saying 'youve only been a member for 2 weeks, zpmg!!!!11! n00b no one cares about your view"22!2"!!"!"!1""1212!'

Candymann16.png

First let me state that the opinions I post here are my own, and do not represent Tip.It.

That gamefaqs thing is so worthless, how you have to come there for like a month straight just be be able to post more then 3 times a day :-X
:shock: :shock: This is pure genius, I wish more forums had this type of ability.

It is a fundamental (and documented) part of forum etiquette to LURK (that means reading a forum and NOT posting) for several WEEKS before beginning to post. The first of these articles is over ten years old:

http://www.newsreaders.com/guide/netiquette.html

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/emily-postnews/part1/

Actually reading the forums helps newbies learn what has already been posted a million times, and where to look for answers to questions. This would hopefully prevent over-excited posts by newbies repeating the same clueless things over and over. ("Hello! I'm here! Look at me! Where do I find Runescape?")

Knowing what has already been said helps users to recognize whether they actually have something new and valuable to say. (This is not directed at any of the posters here, who are obviously contributing to an intelligent debate. Just to be clear.)

Back on topic, I voted to put post count in profiles (where others could click to the profile to see it, I hope). Just last week I found a user spamming up a board who had accumulated 148 posts in ONE DAY. Each of these posts skirted the edge of being "meaningful". They were actually on topic (not "me too"), but not adding anything useful. I reported her to the mods, of course. What other motivation could there be for this nonsense besides post count?

Again let me repeat that the opinions I post here are my own, and do not represent Tip.It.

gallery_28257_123_2330.jpggallery_28257_123_196.gif

it's a lot easier to get over yourself when you look at intelligence the same way you look at beauty, or height, or eye color: being smart is easy, but being good is hard ... being smart is handed to you, being good is handed to *nobody*.

hrm more people seem to want to remove post count from the actual posts, than want to keep it there, whether it is keeping in profile or removing completely.

sig2ho7.jpg

I would, however, favour a karma system.

It sounds like a good idea, but I know there are people that would randomly give people the -1 karma thing just to be a mean little brat.

Which is why we possibly get a complaint forum and if anyone de-fames/karma a user just because they feel like it, the wrong doing is removed and the wrong doer is punished twice more. :P

So if someone were to defame someone just because they didnt agree with them, that'd get removed and the defamer would be given 2 defames.

Like I said before, I dont know. If Tip were capable of it, we could possibly try a trial period. If it didnt work, fine just disregard it and move on. We don't know until we try. :P

knkcopy.jpg

hrm more people seem to want to remove post count from the actual posts, than want to keep it there, whether it is keeping in profile or removing completely.

Yes - Remove 30% [ 57 ]

No - Keep 44% [ 82 ]

Umm...you need to check again.

Seems biasted to me. If you were going to do that, then it should have been "Keep vs hide" with a second poll (if keep is the highest) saying "profile vs all posts".

It's quite obvious that you are adding the changes just because you want it removed. Many people are probably thinking that they would prefer to have the post counts in the profile only, but failing that, would prefer to keep the post counts where they are. (or something like that)

First of all I think you'll find the poll was added by an admin. Not me.

After that you'll find that doing it the way I said will be just as fair as having two polls.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

Seems biasted to me. If you were going to do that, then it should have been "Keep vs hide" with a second poll (if keep is the highest) saying "profile vs all posts".

It's quite obvious that you are adding the changes just because you want it removed. Many people are probably thinking that they would prefer to have the post counts in the profile only, but failing that, would prefer to keep the post counts where they are. (or something like that)

First of all I think you'll find the poll was added by an admin. Not me.

After that you'll find that doing it the way I said will be just as fair as having two polls.

Fair enough. Why don't you just pm an admin and ask him to change the poll?

Yes - Remove 30% [ 57 ]

No - Keep 44% [ 82 ]

Umm...you need to check again.

Umm...you need to read again

Yes - Remove - 30%[ 61 ]

No - Keep - 46%[ 94 ]

Keep - But only display in profile - 23%[ 47 ]

61 + 47 > 94

sig2ho7.jpg