Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

We all know that many people just spam the threads with one liners saying "Wow, nice" or "Lol!" in effort to build up their post count. You and I as well as many, MANY others do not do that, our posts are often thought out and or intelligent/witty at least.

He does :P

michaelsigwm5.gif

^The most disturbing signature on Tip.it^

Last.fm|HELLY KAYLA!|Oh the mehagurtz!|#Siencemakers

"they care less about their spelling mistakes then I." - Lionheart

"apinagez... let me

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This poll is not fair.....

Whoever made the poll put two options for yes and one for no. So those who want post count changed have a split in their vote while the ones who want to keep it the same and united.

Of cource post count will stay if the poll is like this..... :roll:

Clearly though, there is a higher # of votes for at least changing something about post counts. (212 total no's and 177 for the yes option)

I am personally all for removing the post count. I do not think it would hurt people if it was gone. It may take a while for some to get used to not seeing it there, but they would eventually get over it.

If not completely removing the option of putting it only in the main profile and not in the "mini profile" is also a good idea.

Call me Kat, or Kathy Corkat

Actually, this poll is perfectly fair. People get to voice how they feel immediately, instead of being corraled into one thing or the other, which would then cause major unrest as a second poll would have to be created to work out the problems from the first poll.

We'll see how this goes. Probably only the Admins can see how I voted, and that's how I am gonna keep it. The rest of you can probably figure it out if you re-read the whole 10+ pages of posts. :)

[Editor note: Not nice slipping your post in before mine, MrsChrystler... :| ...]

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Actually, this poll is perfectly fair. People get to voice how they feel immediately, instead of being corraled into one thing or the other, which would then cause major unrest as a second poll would have to be created to work out the problems from the first poll.

err actually, this poll is not perfectly fair at all. It causes a split in those who vote yes, because there are two 'yes' options, while the ones voting no are united.

In the U.S. 2000 presidential election, many people say that Al Gore lost to George W. Bush because some democrats, rather than voting for Gore, voted for third party candidate Ralph Nader, taking away votes that would have helped Gore win the election.

It's a similar situation here. The 'yes' vote is divided into two options, while those voting 'no' are united, but clearly, a majority of people want some sort of change.

err actually, this poll is not perfectly fair at all. It causes a split in those who vote yes, because there are two 'yes' options, while the ones voting no are united.

In the U.S. 2000 presidential election, many people say that Al Gore lost to George W. Bush because some democrats, rather than voting for Gore, voted for third party candidate Ralph Nader, taking away votes that would have helped Gore win the election.

It's a similar situation here. The 'yes' vote is divided into two options, while those voting 'no' are united, but clearly, a majority of people want some sort of change.

If only you'd really look at things. You're comparing APPLES with ORANGES... It doesn't work!!!!! :(

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

I feel it should stay. It is an easier way to tell scams and such and the value of what someone says.

To some extent, that is true. But to some extent, it is not. Even though I don't want to, I do have to take parts of Pokemama's big post regarding her opinions into account. She's seen too much spam.

There are those that, even though they have a monstrous number of posts, may have made most of the count in spams or scams. But there are also those (example: Administrator "The_Sith") that have not. We really shouldn't degrade those that have worked for their giant post counts honestly, but at the same time, we need to crack down on the spammers and scammers...

WHAT A DILEMMA!!!

[Edit to the Admins and Mods: Sorry this seems like a double post. My replies get posted so late I feel like I have to start another post just to answer back to another thread. :( ...]

Hmm...Geez I am split right up the middle in this one. In some cases its great to have to see some people's activeness, and to tell if some people may have a scam website or not (you can generally tell a shifty link, with the amount of posts counts they have, and how long they have been around).

Though on the other hand it will remove alot of spammers of these boards which I think is a great thing to have.

My Decision will be a hard one. :?

Well its not two no options actually... Since one of them is take it off the mini profiles next to the actual posts, but KEEP it in the main profile.

I think the poll is fair since it gives more options, rather than just yes and no, it gives real choices/suggestions as to what else could be done rather than just getting completely rid of it.

And, D_V_Devnull, Sorry :oops:

ehh, there should be some sort of primary to first decide weather or not the system should be changed, and then decide the changes.

Otherwise those who want change are dividing themselves, causing the one's who don't want change to win.

I'm quite shocked how much of a fuss this is actually generating within our community. I'm equally if not increasingly shocked with the arguments being put forth. So I've devoted a whole 15 minutes to try and sort out the juicy ones. Now In no particular order...

I feel it should stay. It is an easier way to tell scams and such and the value of what someone says.

First off, telling scams and such should rely solely on common sense, not post counts. In theory I could tell you that if you trade me your "phat" for nothing and ill give it back you'd believe me? I hope not!

If it smells like sour milk chances are its sour. Now for the value of what someone says portion I don't believe that I'll ever judge someones opinion or "value" of what they have to put forth on the prime basis of that insignificant number that sits below ones name.

please keep them. i work for it, and am proud of mine

I really shake my head at this statement. I can understand how you "worked" for your post count and how you can be proud of it but this isn't the purpose of a forum. It's to communicate between the fellow tip.er's and such, it isn't a game.

I personally like the post count. I voted to keep it. It does give insight on the users amount of time spent on here.

I believe the join date does a good enough job of this. Besides some people choose to read topics rather than to post within them.

Anyways my 15 minutes of typing are drawing to a close. I'll now put forth my own conclusions on this matter.

I believe the post count to be a non-issue.

Whether or not the vote decides to either keep or remove the post count; the problems that people are claiming to be associated with the post count will still be remnant. "Spammers" will continue to spam.

If I could get away with it without 40,000 people whining and crying , trust me , it would be gone ....

Alas, rationalization will always win.

The self-proclaimed king of bronze.

nah, the reason i'm for abolishing it is because I think it will better the tip.it society. In runescape people judge who you are as a person by your level, which is wrong.

Now, on tip.it, although it is to a much lesser extent, there is still some sterytyping of the quality of people's posts because of their post count.

If people would stop judging one another so quickly because of stats and posts, we could live in a much better society.

Keep in mind that if it is removed all together, completely taken off the forums then that will mean less database queries, and less server usage, which in turn means faster forum loading, and more room for other, more useful updates.

Keep in mind that if it is removed all together, completely taken off the forums then that will mean less database queries, and less server usage, which in turn means faster forum loading, and more room for other, more useful updates.

It still has to fetch the entire user row, so the speed increase would be negligible.

sigon4.jpg

handed me TWO tissues to clear up. I was like "i'm going to need a few more paper towels than that luv"

Guest GhostRanger

=D>

I think that's all we need to hear. Faster loading times! So when can we get the post count taken off already? :P

It still has to fetch the entire user row, so the speed increase would be negligible.

feteching the row when reading posts of course wouldnt add any noticeable difference, but when a post is made , update queries are sent to 4 different tables, so posting would show an small improvement overall , especially during peak hours, when topic views were removed temporarily , table writes(updates) decreased by almost 50% :shock:

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

nah, the reason i'm for abolishing it is because I think it will better the tip.it society. In runescape people judge who you are as a person by your level, which is wrong.

Now, on tip.it, although it is to a much lesser extent, there is still some sterytyping of the quality of people's posts because of their post count.

If people would stop judging one another so quickly because of stats and posts, we could live in a much better society.

Well if you believe so firmly that getting rid of the post count is the best way to erode stereotyping then why not get rid of the Joined date as well?

The self-proclaimed king of bronze.

and just for the record

Bush won the election by having his brother monkey-rig the ballet machines in Florida to prevent proper voting.

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

and just for the record

Bush won the election by having his brother monkey-rig the ballet machines in Florida to prevent proper voting.

Off topic: =D> Dwarfdude3 =owned. Albosky I think you may enjoy this link: http://www.whitehouse.org

---------------------

I don't care so much as for my post count than I do my daily posts. To me the average daily posts are more meaningful, as it shows people that you are probably more well known, *take goldwolf for an example, 27 post average per day :shock: and because of frequent posting it seems like he's been around alot longer than he really has*

I don't know if any of this made sense but don't blame me, I'm pretty tired.

1z2zrwo.jpg

i bleive post count is a way people sue to see if osmeone is trustworthy...and mods can usually delete spammish posts which gets rid of the spam counts right?

no, posts are not deleted.

Still there is a phpbb MOD for it...

We can delete posts, but we don't.

Yes but that requires manually going into the sql database which is a pain in the rear.

This mod will automatically resync the users post count when a post has been deleted.

girlsigfi1.png

axeraider70.deviantART.com

i bleive post count is a way people sue to see if osmeone is trustworthy...and mods can usually delete spammish posts which gets rid of the spam counts right?

Yes but that requires manually going into the sql database which is a pain in the rear.

This mod will automatically resync the users post count when a post has been deleted.

But what Phil is saying is that we do not delete the posts... we CAN, we have the option to, but we don't. Neither does a mod/tool/program. Posts are not deleted from these forums.

It is also just as easy to delete a post via the normal in-forum method and then do a manual re-sync of the post count using the internal tools in the forum. I personally wouldn't mind handling it if I were one of you since I admin 2 other forum sites that use phpbb... Gee whiz, don't be so whacked out... :roll:

[Edit]

Wow, I sifted through 12 pages over a poll on post counts. :-s I'll preface my statements the same as Pokemama did. What I'm about to say is entirely my own opinion.

I'm really shocked at how argumentative people can be on a topic regarding post counts. I think if people thought about it they'd realize how invalid post counts are when measuring a user's worth. I mean sure they're fun to look at but that's not really a reason to keep them if they could potentially reduce spam. I don't think people realize the amount of spam that gets posted everyday (I know I sure didn't a week ago). Some people's spam is blatant and obviously off topic whereas others barely qualify as meaningful to the conversation as Pokemama pointed out. Someone previously in this thread mentioned that people are likely to spam because of the post count so they get their number up and don't appear new to others. I know I was hesitant to post at first even after lurking for months for this very reason. People too easily dismiss others due to this number.

A low post count doesn't show how long someone has been here. I myself registered back in November but never posted anything until around May because I never saw anything I thought I could add something constructive to. And while my post count is relatively low compared to others I can say that some of them have perfected the art of replying with comments I would barely call proper posts. Some are "+1's" others just an emote but some are just random replies that don't contribute anything. I believe in quality over quantity and the post count doesn't show this at all. I've seen more constructive posts in Rate This (which doesn't go toward post count due to the short nature of rating posts) than some of the ones I've seen on the general boards which add to your count.

Someone mentioned it helped them know how they should perceive a post containing a link etc by the user's post count and their forum status in general. Most scams and the like I don't even have to bother looking at the post count or the join date to see what they are. The same goes for strange links, you shouldn't make judgements on something like a number under someone's name.

The argument that this vote is invalid is ridiculous. It serves it purpose to help make a decision regarding them. I doubt it was meant to be scrutinized in the manner that it has. It's just a poll about a forum feature, not a national election. Some perspective here maybe. :-k

Personally I voted for them to be put in the profile. This would allow those who care to be able to see it while making it one extra click most won't care to make.

My two cents.

P.S. Although I'm sure there are MODs that could be implemented take care of the deleted posts affecting it, that just creates more work for someone like Albosky. It's always easy to say something is simple when it's someone else that ends up doing the work.

tallest.jpeg

571st to 99 Fm Nov. 4 '06 - 315th to 99 Crafting Mar. 3 '07 - 3410th to 99 Fishing Sept. 18 '07

26378th to 99 Cooking Oct. 16 '07 -.- 99 Thieving Dec. 29 '07 - 1343rd to 99 Farming June 5 '08

1807th to 99 Agility Nov. 8 '08 - 3094th to 99 Smithing Feb. 14 '09

2012 total - 91 combat