Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

I'll quote what I had to say in an old topic which discussed this:

I'll usually judge people by their post count when there is a fishy link involved. If it's someone with like 1 post that posts a link which may be a keylogger of course I won't go to it. In any other situation I don't care. There are some pretty good posters who have real quality in their writing and I enjoy reading it.

As Lead said it roughly-

I want to be remembered as someone who always had something interesting or funny to say, not as the person who had the highest post count.

Yes. Remove the post counts.

punk4ever.gif

By The_Jeppoz :wink:

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If postcount is removed i'm quitting

If thats the only reason you care to come to our community , why not just leave now ? I wouldn't miss you ...

Haha, I lol'd when I read that.

As for everything else you said, Albosky, you made excellent points. Well said.

Post count is definitely FTL. I don't even care for it that much on low traffic forums.

Last.fm: http://www.last.fm/user/Aaronm14/

MY FAVORITE BAND:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... d=64310717

And the bible is the big book of lies, call me a racist if you must.

As Lead said it roughly-

I want to be remembered as someone who always had something interesting or funny to say, not as the person who had the highest post count.

Yes. Remove the post counts.

Agreed. I was stupid enough to think otherwise, I regret that. A lot.

The reason people are saying keep the counts are just stupid.

You can see if a person is new or not by looking at the join date, and you will still be able to see post count information in the profile (if that option is chosen by the admins)

I highly doubt that people look at the post counts for every single post by every single person. Thats just silly.

612d9da508.png

Mercifull.png

Mercifull <3 Suzi

"We don't want players to be able to buy their way to success in RuneScape. If we let players start doing this, it devalues RuneScape for others. We feel your status in real-life shouldn't affect your ability to be successful in RuneScape" Jagex 01/04/01 - 02/03/12

A lot of the people who are saying they want to keep the post count are citing the reason that it should be removed - they see it as an achievement.

The same goes for those who claim it helps you know how trustworthy someone is - if a post count shows how trustworthy someone is then getting a high one is an achievement, and that puts you in with the rest.

Some people are changed by being a moderator. I wouldn't be.

A lot of the people who are saying they want to keep the post count are citing the reason that it should be removed - they see it as an achievement.

The same goes for those who claim it helps you know how trustworthy someone is - if a post count shows how trustworthy someone is then getting a high one is an achievement, and that puts you in with the rest.

Whether you like it or not, your losing the poll buddy. "Don't let the door hit you on your way out"

Whether you like it or not, you're losing the poll buddy. "Don't let the door hit you on your way out"

I think you'll find a majority want the post count removed from next to posts.

As the two options to make a change to the post count are separated, so are the votes - meaning it would be twice as hard for a change to be made. The admins are intelligent and so they realise this and it will be dealt with fairly.

Get a little common sense and you might understand.

For everyone saying that "keep post count" is winning the poll, let me put it this way:

If it was simply Yes Vs No, no would still be losing.

There would then be a second poll for "Totally remove" vs "Only in profile".

HOW HARD IS THAT TO UNDERSTAND?

You guys seem to want to run a dictatorship here, I thought this forum was for fun. Oh let's all clamp down on spam,in my opinion the mods seem to handle spam fine. Give them 3 warnings then ban them, sheesh that would help clamp down on spam. You don't need to remove postcounts to stop spam, what's working now is fine.

What some of you class as spam other's class as an amusing conversation. Not all of us joined these forums to have in depth converstions about politics. You forget this is a forum for a game, a game which we all play for fun shouldn't the forum be the same? We're here to have fun aren't we?

Also somebody keeps bringing up the point about how your post count doesn't make you reliable? I think it does, just because you have been playing the game longer doesn't mean you should be automatically trusted. If you want to be trusted on these forums you have to be active on these forums and generally activity means posting. The more you post the more active you are. You take away postcounts and you take a way all the trust this community has.

Oh and another point i'd like to bring up here. You seem to think removing postcounts will stop spam, no I don't think so, it will simply encourage it. Many people will think that because there is no postcount spamming is ok. Tipit will turn into the rs main boards. The only people that post are the one's that want to be mods. We as human beings need something to work for, if we don't have it, everything seems a bit pointless.

the more posts someone has gives us an understanding of how long they have been a community member, and thier activity on the forums. This, in turn, gives an indicatiton of trustworthyness and also suggests experience. If they have 7000 posts the haven't been banned, they probably haven't been slated by others or they would have left. They also have experience on these forums, know what people like, know what makes a good post etc. Chicken feathers have a long way to go in understanding these forums, whereas dark wizard robes are much more likley to know what kind of things are more likley to get the right response.

magecape,Mo%20Gui%20Gui.gif

mo%20gui%20gui.gif

Most forums seem to manage quite well with post counts....

Doomster, "most forums" also don't have the kind of traffic we do... and those that DO have that amount of traffic more than likely have a considerably different hardware setup than we do...

Easy enough to run a forum for 500 users with no performance problems at all ;) Perhaps have another look at the stats which Alby posted up earlier in the thread for examples on why this comment of yours is kind of redundant :)

To rephrase then...

Post count is a feature on most forums, and there is very little obvious "postcount spamming", so if there is a problem here, then it is a problem with the users and not the postcount itself. A forum like driverheaven.net probably has more users than here, and uses post counts.

Maybe the ranks should be dropped, to avoid the "I want a better rank" issue.

On the ones where there is some reward for postcount, rigourous black marking needs to be applied - I recall one where 3 strikes is an automatic 1 month posting ban, and 1 strike may be removed (on good behaviour) per month.

I think this whole topic is nonsense. Who cares about the post count? I don't to be honoust, and I dont see the point in having a high post count. It doesn't get you more or less respect coz all people care about here is RS money & skills...

Also: this forum is mostly used by merchanters or people with questions that can't be solved in-game. Is it difficult to have a high post count then? I guess not, coz since I've started merchanting a little my post count has doubled. Do I feel better now? Nope, as long as my posted items get sold I'm happy and that's all I care about it. I'm here for RS, not for the forum!

AMEN

2016 goals: all skills +30mil xp - Completed this goal 11th December 2016 smile.gif
2017 goals: get at least 3 more master capes (start xp: invention done@21st Jan, mining done@2nd April & ranged 76/104mil done@June 20th) & all skills +40mil xp (done 24th August)

Perhaps the people who have to do the work care about how the post count may or may not affect spam posts?

To be honest I think you should be grateful they even put it up for a vote, I think they know best about how this forum should be run and they should have just gone with it - the only reason it has been kept so far is because of users whining.

I bet the majority of users might like flash to be allowed to be embedded - doesn't mean that it is for the best.

You guys seem to want to run a dictatorship here, I thought this forum was for fun. Oh let's all clamp down on spam,in my opinion the mods seem to handle spam fine. Give them 3 warnings then ban them, sheesh that would help clamp down on spam. You don't need to remove postcounts to stop spam, what's working now is fine.

If they wanted to run a dictatorship, this poll wouldn't exist, we wouldn't have a choice in it and the count would have just disappeared one day. You should know the meaning of words before you use them.

"In my opinion" means nothing compared to the thousands of others on this board.

The mods around here work their [wagon] off to keep the boards clean, THAT'S why you don't see it. Have all the mods and admins take a day off and not clean posts, then lets see what you think about the spam problem.

What some of you class as spam other's class as an amusing conversation. Not all of us joined these forums to have in depth converstions about politics. You forget this is a forum for a game, a game which we all play for fun shouldn't the forum be the same? We're here to have fun aren't we?

If wasting database space, server power, and bandwidth is "fun", then the entire internet is nothing but a giant sandbox. Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you involve yourself in these "in depth converstions about politics". If you want to waste server resources and someones HARD EARNED MONEY, go buy your own dedicated box and spam away.

Also somebody keeps bringing up the point about how your post count doesn't make you reliable? I think it does, just because you have been playing the game longer doesn't mean you should be automatically trusted. If you want to be trusted on these forums you have to be active on these forums and generally activity means posting.

Playing the game longer does means something. It means you've been around longer, and are most likely more knolegable. If post count gauges how much you know, your 20 posts makes you one of the many village idiots and makes the top posters gods. This isn't the case now is it?

The more you post the more active you are. You take away postcounts and you take a way all the trust this community has.

Again, post count is nothing but a count of how many times you clicked the submit button. I could spend 2 minutes a day posting total junk, and still have it count because it's not deleted. You are a prime example, joined 2 days ago, and already have 20 posts. It means nothing.

my personal opinion is remove the post count, add a reputation system instead. (sorry if that's posted but there are so many pages)

Forever F2P

skill total: 1053

My Stats + Bank

<!-- m -->http://forum.tip.it/viewtopic.php?t=516379<!-- m -->

You guys seem to want to run a dictatorship here, I thought this forum was for fun.

If you're not having fun, leave. Fairly simple solution really. There are more than enough communities around - I'm sure you can capable of finding one that suits your needs.

Oh let's all clamp down on spam,in my opinion the mods seem to handle spam fine. Give them 3 warnings then ban them, sheesh that would help clamp down on spam. You don't need to remove postcounts to stop spam, what's working now is fine.

Removing one insentive to spam would be more effective than what's in place now. The warning system used to be in place, and it still is (or so I believe - staff clarification would be nice).

We have fun, and we can achieve that by not posting useless junk.

Also somebody keeps bringing up the point about how your post count doesn't make you reliable? I think it does, just because you have been playing the game longer doesn't mean you should be automatically trusted.

What has playing the game got to do with anything? Tangent thought process perhaps?

If you want to be trusted on these forums you have to be active on these forums and generally activity means posting. The more you post the more active you are. You take away postcounts and you take a way all the trust this community has.

Hardly, the more you post, the more often people will read what you have to say. And it is what you have written in those posts which will determinehow much people trust and respect you.

"In my opinion" means nothing compared to the thousands of others on this board.

Sorry? What is this entire post you've made, I believe it is in your own opinion. Dunno what you mean by that statement you're saying i'm not allowed to express my own opinion because I think differently to you? This poll was made for a reason :roll:

The mods around here work their wagons off to keep the boards clean, THAT'S why you don't see it. Have all the mods and admins take a day off and not clean posts, then lets see what you think about the spam problem.

The mod position is voluntary buddy, you're not forced to become one. I believe you can quit at anytime.

If wasting database space, server power, and bandwidth is "fun", then the entire internet is nothing but a giant sandbox. Nobody is holding a gun to your head making you involve yourself in these "in depth converstions about politics". If you want to waste server resources and someones HARD EARNED MONEY, go buy your own dedicated box and spam away.

You seem to overestimate the amount of spam here. You also didn't address my point on how removing the postcount would increase the amount of spam. Human beings need something to aim for. If you really want tipit to become something like the rs boards then removing postcounts would be a good way to start.

Playing the game longer does means something. It means you've been around longer, and are most likely more knolegable. If post count gauges how much you know, your 20 posts makes you one of the many village idiots and makes the top posters gods. This isn't the case now is it?

Yes playing longer makes you more knowledgable I never said otherwise. Having 7k posts doesn't make you any more knowledgable than a person with 20 post count but it makes you more trustable. You've been on this site longer than them and you have posted more than them. Posted! It's a forum, you're meant to post, you take away a postcount and the forum becomes completely redudant. It's like stealing the wheels from a bike and still expecting somebody to have as much fun with it as before.

Again, post count is nothing but a count of how many times you clicked the submit button. I could spend 2 minutes a day posting total junk, and still have it count because it's not deleted.

Then you'd be banned pretty quickly. Stop having this thoughts that removing postcounts would decrease spam. It wouldn't work and the forum would go down the drain...

Human beings need something to aim for
That they do. But if you think a number on a forum is something to be proud of, then you have your priorities mixed up.

Having 7k posts doesn't make you any more knowledgable than a person with 20 post count but it makes you more trustable.
That is an assumption. What they say with their posts is what's going to count.

You've been on this site longer than them and you have posted more than them. Posted! It's a forum, you're meant to post, you take away a postcount and the forum becomes completely redudant
Not true. There are people on this forum who joined after others but have more posts. Why? Because one might only post when they have something worthwhile to add to the topic, and the other posts just because they can.

Taking away the post count isn't going to stop them from posting. They're going to do it anyways. It is only the people who seem to think that it matters, like yourself, who will quit. And make the forum a better place for everyone who is left.

Also, without a community, a forum is redundant. Showing the post count in threads is a trivial extra.

It's like stealing the wheels from a bike and still expecting somebody to have as much fun with it as before
Nice analogy. Pity it's totally wrong. Post count is not a critical element of the forum, whereas the wheels of a bike are.

Sorry? What is this entire post you've made, I believe it is in your own opinion. Dunno what you mean by that statement you're saying i'm not allowed to express my own opinion because I think differently to you? This poll was made for a reason :roll:

Most of my post wasn't opinion.

Facts (this isn't my opinion for those that don't understand)

• [*:513lxw5x]If the admins wanted this to be a dictatorship, it would be.

[*:513lxw5x]Spam is a waste of bandwidth, server resources and mod time.

[*:513lxw5x]Post count is nothing but an arbitrary click counter

I'm sorry you misunderstood that.

The mods around here work their wagons off to keep the boards clean, THAT'S why you don't see it. Have all the mods and admins take a day off and not clean posts, then lets see what you think about the spam problem.

The mod position is voluntary buddy, you're not forced to become one. I believe you can quit at anytime.

Yes it's voluntary, what does that have to do with anything?

You seem to overestimate the amount of spam here. You also didn't address my point on how removing the postcount would increase the amount of spam. Human beings need something to aim for. If you really want tipit to become something like the rs boards then removing postcounts would be a good way to start.

I didn't overestimate anything. You would have an extremely had time if you tryed to count the number of times this board has been spammed with worthless crap that the mods have to clean. Just because you didn't see it in your 2 days here doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Humans may need something to shoot for, but if your goal is a giant pixel'ed number online, you need help. Post count is at the very bottom of my list of acheivments, and I can guarantee it's at the bottom of many others.

Post count also has nothing to do with the RSO boards. Tip.it would be in the same position if it had thousands of concurrent users online at any given time. Jagex actually gave us post counts with the last forum update, and little changed. Spam didn't magically go down when it was released like you suggest. It should go down with post counts be displayed, since that's all that's holding spam back, shouldn't it?

Yes playing longer makes you more knowledgable I never said otherwise. Having 7k posts doesn't make you any more knowledgable than a person with 20 post count but it makes you more trustable. You've been on this site longer than them and you have posted more than them. Posted! It's a forum, you're meant to post, you take away a postcount and the forum becomes completely redudant. It's like stealing the wheels from a bike and still expecting somebody to have as much fun with it as before.

So, trust has been reducted to the number of times you click a button. Great.

So, what happens when someone with that high post count and "trusted" reputatoin turns around and stabs you in the back? It's happened many times before. People posing as girls for "social experiments", mods getting banned for RWT. The list could go on with a little digging.

Taking away the post count doesn't stop you from posting. It's still a forum. You can still talk to other people.

It's nothing like stealing the wheels from a bike. You take the wheels, and it can no longer do it's job. Removing post counts from a forum is like taking all the sparkly junk off said bike, leaving the wheels. The boards still function with or without those "sparkly bits", unlike your wheel analogy. Taking the wheels off the forum would be like shutting the database off. Not happening here.

Again, post count is nothing but a count of how many times you clicked the submit button. I could spend 2 minutes a day posting total junk, and still have it count because it's not deleted.

Then you'd be banned pretty quickly. Stop having this thoughts that removing postcounts would decrease spam. It wouldn't work and the forum would go down the drain...

Taking my "2 minutes" comment literally doesn't help much. It was a quick example.

How would removing an arbitrary click counter send the boards down the drain? The same people would still be posting, if they were as trustable as their post count should make them according to you. The world moves on, and we get more server resources for legitamate posts and users instead of wasting it on disk writes for a stupid number.

So does my shiny new post count make me the most trustworthy person in this community?

have I accomplished the greatest "achievement" ?

Anything can be manipulated (spamming useless posts to achieve a high count is a form of manipulation)

I like to fart silently but deadly in movie theaters
Ard Choille says (11:41 PM):

I wouldn't dare tell you what to do m'dear

Human beings need something to aim for.

Yeah, this is our basic human nature here. We NEED a post count. To deprive us of one of our most basic needs would be both sick and wrong.

What a load of tripe.