Remove post counts

Remove Post Counts ?  

1488 members have voted

1. 1. Remove Post Counts ?

• Yes - Remove
    • No - Keep
    • Keep - But only display in profile

purepure4774 wrote:

I feel it should stay. It is an easier way to tell scams and such and the value of what someone says.

First off, telling scams and such should rely solely on common sense, not post counts. In theory I could tell you that if you trade me your "phat" for nothing and ill give it back you'd believe me? I hope not!

If it smells like sour milk chances are its sour. Now for the value of what someone says portion I don't believe that I'll ever judge someones opinion or "value" of what they have to put forth on the prime basis of that insignificant number that sits below ones name.

That wasn't my point. Of course the obvious can be seen, but there are those very decieving messages. The videos that so many people fell victim to, are an example. The simple and idiotic ones scream scam, but the nearly believable ones do not. How about replacing posts with a warning system? Just a suggestion, no flaming please. :roll:

91215531.png

Poetry

Indexed Picture 1

Indexed Picture 2

Killed my maxed Zerker pure April 2010

Rebooting Runescape

91215531.png

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D_V_Devnull - *giggles* thanks lol

the_tallest1 - Very well said. As you can see I too have a relatively low post count for being here over 2 years now. I alos do not like to post that often unless I can think of something constructive to add to the conversation/topic.

I read more on these forums than I post on them. I also believe that people put way too much emphasis on the post count. It is just a number, nothing else.

Someone with a high post count is no different than someone with a low post count, other than the fact that one likes to post more than the other. That does not measure the person's trustworthyness, nor the person's character/personalitiy/worth.

Call me Kat, or Kathy Corkat

Well I have posted probably hundreds of times but it says that I have only like 50 because I am always in Goals & Achievements and apparently posts don't count there, so I say get rid of em.

TSGsignaturev2.png

Iluvugangsta.jpg

Proud Ex-Crimson Flames Leader

Proud Fire Cape owner at level 102!

To support my 99 slayer goal, Click Here

D_V_Devnull - *giggles* thanks lol

the_tallest1 - Very well said. As you can see I too have a relatively low post count for being here over 2 years now. I alos do not like to post that often unless I can think of something constructive to add to the conversation/topic.

I read more on these forums than I post on them. I also believe that people put way too much emphasis on the post count. It is just a number, nothing else.

Someone with a high post count is no different than someone with a low post count, other than the fact that one likes to post more than the other. That does not measure the person's trustworthyness, nor the person's character/personalitiy/worth.

I agree with you in the fact that people do put way to much emphasis on post count, and it does not represent in anyway someone's constructiveness to a thread or a forum (in a wider perspective). :wink:

Though with your last statement, I don't completely agree with the last part about post count showing the measure of someone's worth to the boards. Before you explode in fury, let me explain. Somebody who has a post count of lower than 500 has less significance to the board than someone with a post count in the thousands (no matter how long either person has been around). This is because in my opinion that the person with a much higher post count has put more into the forums, than what the other person has with lower post count. A board with many active users who post regularly is the foundation of any forum and is what it needs to grow.

Though of course a post with little thought and is spam, is a waste of time for everyone and that shouldn't be taken into any account when it comes to their worth to the boards. (My above paragraph is a comparison of 2 posters who both post quality posts >> but one poster has a higher post count than the other).

>> My Statesments shouldn't come into account when it comes to removing the post count or not, I was just making a point of my opinion when it comes to what Mrs C wrote. :wink:

How long has the joined date been there? :P

With the join date there, I feel that Post count should be moved to profile. But the rankings should be kept dependant on the amount of time here. (Have it so it's "Days since joining" and then you can still have all the same ranks. Although I don't think anyone would have over 1000 :P so Maybe half the requirements for the rankings.

personaly the joined date is hard to compare with other users on the forum in my opinion. although they made some of the things not count like goals and achievements and graveyard and marketplace. so well know people that i see on this forum raichase, taxologist,swampjedi,bubsa. ok well they are always on rants that is the forum that i usually browse. they post everyother time then on offtopick i see other people and are like who are they the post count shows they not a newbie to the forums. some people are very active on the forums and others are lurkers i think the active people should get more respect. i joined rs less then two months ago and tip it 1 month or so ago. with joined date i think they should remove that.

i also agree that they should put a #of locked post thing too that shows amount of spammy forums lol. well starting at the update show it shows infamous not just the good guys.

bout the +1 idiots i think that it is better to lurk in that case rather then always saying +1.

i voted keep

StarViv.png

I like the Postcount, it lets you know who are the more Trusted members of Tip.It

For example if I post and ask someone to make me some arrows if I supply the goods. I would rather someone with a higher post count as they have more to lose if they scam me, rather than an account with very few posts, who can just make a new one...

I_Xpk3r_I: Future Mayhem Maker

Add a reputation system, that'll sort things out and take the focus away from post counts. Spammy people can be negatively repped for such acts.

The rep system is abusable too. Instead of spamming for higher post count, you'll have these same people plotting with each other on how to get their reps higher.

cescsig.jpg

Add a reputation system, that'll sort things out and take the focus away from post counts. Spammy people can be negatively repped for such acts.

It seems like a good idea, but would have to be researched and carefully considered.

For the short-term, I voted for keeping them but having them appear only in the profile. It removes some of the incentive to spam for post count alone, in my opinion.

Took me long enough to get 9 hours of sleep. :P

I personally like the post count. I voted to keep it. It does give insight on the users amount of time spent on here.

I believe the join date does a good enough job of this. Besides some people choose to read topics rather than to post within them.

Join date does not show time spent on here. Someone could create an account now, spend the rest of the day reading posts, and not return for 3 years. Does that show how much time you've spent here? NO. Yes, post count can sometimes encourage spamming, but it doesn't create it. I'm 100% positive that without post count, spammers will still spam.

If you do remove post count, I'm sure that you'll find out that it was completely negitive, as spammers will still spam and good, active members of the forum won't be able to enjoy looking at their post count steadily increase.

A low post count doesn't show how long someone has been here. I myself registered back in November but never posted anything until around May because I never saw anything I thought I could add something constructive to.
You obviously haven't contributed as much to this forum as a 2k post counter has. A low post count doesn't show how long someone has been here, it shows how much they've contributed. Now, there are sometimes exceptions to this, but the majority of the time people with high post counts have contributed considerably.

Some are "+1's" others just an emote but some are just random replies that don't contribute anything
You honestly think that when people post "+1" or just an emote that they are only doing it for post count? :lol: Trust me, without post count there will still be just as many spam posts. Just look at runehq, when they removed post count spamming actually increased.

Now, I never just post "+1" and leave it at that, if someone has a really good post I might post +1 and then state why he's right or why I agree with him, but I've never posted before just for the sake of post count.

Someone mentioned it helped them know how they should perceive a post containing a link etc by the user's post count and their forum status in general. Most scams and the like I don't even have to bother looking at the post count or the join date to see what they are. The same goes for strange links, you shouldn't make judgements on something like a number under someone's name.
When someone posts a download link (to a movie or maybe a POH designer or something of the sort), if you notice someone has a very low post count then that's a first clue that the person is untrustworthy. Now, your argument in this states that post count does not show how trustworthy someone is, but consider this: Who is more likely to post a keylogger? Someone with 2k posts, or someone with 2? The person with 2 is probably just going to make another account, while the person with 2k has shown that he's spent considerable time here, and people more then likely know him.

The argument that this vote is invalid is ridiculous. It serves it purpose to help make a decision regarding them. I doubt it was meant to be scrutinized in the manner that it has. It's just a poll about a forum feature, not a national election. Some perspective here maybe. :-k
IMO the poll is perfectly valid, UNLESS someone groups two of the options together.

As I've said before, adding the first and last options then taking the higher of the two is completely stupid. Doing so will make 176 > 249. Any arguments that "well, more people are voting to have there be a change then not" is completely invalid, as I could easily say that "more people are voting to keep post counts in some way then remove it", so maybe the last two should be added and the highest taken? All in all, the highest choise in the poll is the one that should be chosen.

Keep in mind that if it is removed all together, completely taken off the forums then that will mean less database queries, and less server usage, which in turn means faster forum loading, and more room for other, more useful updates.
Communist propaganda. :P These forums already run for me with the speed of a lightning bolt, and my computer is far from new. The only time that these forums have ever been slow for me is after a huge update, and even then it's not too bad. Also, when the new update monster rears his ugly head, removing post count will not stop his big bro, Lagasauris Rex, from showing up.

Actually, this poll is perfectly fair. People get to voice how they feel immediately, instead of being corraled into one thing or the other, which would then cause major unrest as a second poll would have to be created to work out the problems from the first poll.

err actually, this poll is not perfectly fair at all. It causes a split in those who vote yes, because there are two 'yes' options, while the ones voting no are united.

Actually, there aren't two yes options. THERE ARE TWO KEEP OPTIONS. The poll says "Remove post count?" with 3 options: remove it, keep it where it is, and keep it but in the profile.

Theoretically speaking, "remove" should be winning by a landslide as the keepers are split in two, but IT'S NOT, which shows that the majority of people want post count to stay.

As I've already said, a rep system is always abused, as people never give good rep to those whose posts deserve it, and instead just de-rep people who they don't like.

So now we'll have people listening to brand new noobs that havent posted a post here, unsure whether the post is one by a veteran or a noob?
Sir Lol-a-lot (XD) said it pretty stupidly, but he does have a point. People tend to automaticially give a certain amount of respect to those with a higher post count. This can be good or bad. As forums grow and change, people come and go. The same people using the forum now might not be using it in a year or two. Someone still using this forum with a high post count in two years (for example) shows that he's not new, even though a lot of the people who know him don't use the forums anymore. Now, you could say that join date accomplishes this, but it doesn't. Someone who tried rs right when it started, played it for 5 min, thought it was stupid, then quit and didn't come back until rs2 cannot claim that he isn't a rs2 product, as he never accomplished something back in rsc. Same thing with post counts.

My 2ÃÆââ¬Å¡Ãââ.

awesome_bloodvelds_siggeh.pngpossiblesig11.png

:^_^: I drew that smilie, btw, along with a few more used by this site.

Classic bloodveld for lyph3! Although I do like the new ones.

Like a ninja, here I was, gone I am now.

BUT! I may be back! Add my new account, Dr Bloodveld!

Mandatory IQ tests on signup? :P

I have an IQ of 139, according to this test. Bet it's not as high as Bloodvelds \' ^^^^

i took that IQ test last year and got a 144. i just took it and got 135. is that bad? lol

EDIT: GAH!! i figured someone else would've posted again by now. Unbelievable sorry about the double post.

:lol: (Keep Post Count) :lol:

truevamopcopynh4.gif

When I Have It, It's the World's. When I Don't Have It, The World Is Mine.

I have an IQ of 139, according to this test. Bet it's not as high as Bloodvelds \' ^^^^

i took that IQ test last year and got a 144. i just took it and got 135. is that bad? lol

EDIT: GAH!! i figured someone else would've posted again by now. Unbelievable sorry about the double post.

You're just spamming to get your post count up :shame:

Oops so am I.. :oops:

213 posts ftw!!

Oh dear, you are loosing brain cells mighty fast!! Stop doing this :wall:

Lolz..Your going to die of brain cell's decaying(Whatever that it :wink: )

All Quests completed

99 Thieving achieved on January 10th, 2008

99 Defense achieved on August 3rd, 2008

85 Slayer achieved on July 31st, 2008

6 Dragon boot drops, 14 Whip drops

to keep everyone happy have an option to show or not show your post count...

That would have worked nicely, but no one thought of it. :(

tifuserbar-dsavi_x4.jpg and normally with a cool mind.

(Warning: This user can be VERY confusing to some people... And talks in 3rd person for the timebeing due to how insane they are... Sometimes even to themself.)

Guest GhostRanger

That would have worked nicely, but no one thought of it. :(

No it wouldn't work at all I don't think. If you had that option, then the people who want to spam to make their post count high are going to check to show their post count.

But the argument for removing post counts is that people spam to keep their count up. Doing this wouldnt stop people from spamming to keep their post count up.

lope6jw0.jpg

HELL NO!

keep them!

Why would you remove them anyway? It's dumb... if low posters are complaining about post count then tell them to GET THEIR POSTS UP!

I am angered that this poll was even made...

dangsig.png

By popular demand, this signature is back- however I currently do not have a blog up at the moment and if I did I wouldn't update it. Sorry, the sig links to nowhere :( .

I fully understand the argument against having post counts, but I agree with ^this guy:

I was proud when I got 500 posts....I don't want it removed.

For me personally, I try not to spam. I try to write only meaningful posts. My post count is a record of personal achievement. I don't use it to judge myself against anyone else. Although I know a lot of people do judge this way, I personally would like to keep my post count.

finalsig9wq.gif